Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gin Gin Gin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,168 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Quackster wrote: »
    Which none of us picked up upon because nowhere in the post does it state that they are a moderator. Nor in your post either (assuming you're a moderator too?).

I, for one, would like to thank The Beer Revolu for their very informative posts in this thread and long may they continue!

What forums someone moderates is written under their name to the side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭ec18

I'd try thin gin if you haven't before it's really good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

L1011 wrote: »

Not on mobile. Boards has a lot more mobile traffic than desktop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Marty Sergerson

Tried the Wild Burrow Aldi one, quite nice. Also, Super Valu in Clonakilty selling a saltwater gin called Beara, bought a bottle for crimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,870 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Lads, I haven't been publicly flogged.
    It's OK.

It has been pointed out to some who might not have known that I am affiliated with Blackwater Distillery who also make Boyle's Gin.

I haven't been silenced.

Tried the Wild Burrow Aldi one, quite nice. Also, Super Valu in Clonakilty selling a saltwater gin called Beara, bought a bottle for crimbo.

Wild Burrow is a Lidl product.

I've been curious to try the Beara gin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

If they have't been mentioned before then can I recommend Lidl's DELUXE® Gin & Tonic Spices. I don't think I'd use them in a really good gin but if you use one of the cheaper (Lidl's own brand for example) less fragrant gins and add them you might just convince someone that they are drinking a really expensive gin. Even found I can cut down a bit on the Gin and use more tonic when I add the botanicals.

The only problem is you need to be a hipster with a good beard and mustache to filter out the botanicals when you drink. Also a good on their own in tonic water.

• Advertisement

ec18 wrote: »
    I'd try thin gin if you haven't before it's really good

Thats a strange one. My own opinion is its a terrible gin for a G&T but a great gin for cocktails, to me it has an orange taste and reminds me of Grand Marnier. But that comes from someone who prefers gin to have a very strong juniper aroma.

....... wrote: »

Try the isle where they have all the Deluxe range stuff in for Christmas.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Not on mobile. 'Moderator' appears under your name (so there is absolutely no ambiguity) but not under Gloomtastic!'s. :confused:

Fever Tree Angoustora Bark. If you already own a bottle of bitters (and you should), don't bother with this tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Fever Tree Angoustora Bark. If you already own a bottle of bitters (and you should), don't bother with this tonic.
    You mean - use standard tonic and add a dash of Angostura bitters?

You mean - use standard tonic and add a dash of Angostura bitters?

Yes. And not even posh tonic, a 60c-on-offer bottle of Club and a dash of bitters will taste the same

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yes. And not even posh tonic, a 60c-on-offer bottle of Club and a dash of bitters will taste the same
    Hadn't considered flavouring a G&T with Angostura bitters. Will definitely give it a try - seeing as we have a much-unused bottle lying around. The Fever Tree products seems to be flavoured with Angostura bark - which somewhat ironically, Angostura bitters are not. Not a concern for me (my palate wouldn't be refined enough to notice the difference), but might be for some. Thanks for the tip!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Hadn't considered flavouring a G&T with Angostura bitters. Will definitely give it a try - seeing as we have a much-unused bottle lying around. The Fever Tree products seems to be flavoured with Angostura bark - which somewhat ironically, Angostura bitters are not. Not a concern for me (my palate wouldn't be refined enough to notice the difference), but might be for some. Thanks for the tip!
    Like that, I have a bottle of bitters which I bought to try and recreate Caribbean rum/coconut water drinks (they were revolting :() - will have to give the next G&T a dash of them and see how I fancy it!

I presume you're talking literally a drop or two?

Two to three knocks of the bottle (may be a bit more than a drip each time) would be all I'd do.

• Advertisement

My wife bought me a bottle of Lidl's Hampstead London Dry Gin (Green 500ml bottle) because they were out of their normal cheap Gin. OMG that bottle of Hampstead Gin is disgusting crap. Now I've had it before and its been OK not fantastic but easily drinkable but this current bottle just tastes like someone slipped with the chemicals they dump in it to make it taste like Gin and its like drinking perfume.

Will be interesting to see if Lidl give me a refund on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

my3cents wrote: »
    My wife bought me a bottle of Lidl's Hampstead London Dry Gin (Green 500ml bottle) because they were out of their normal cheap Gin. OMG that bottle of Hampstead Gin is disgusting crap. Now I've had it before and its been OK not fantastic but easily drinkable but this current bottle just tastes like someone slipped with the chemicals they dump in it to make it taste like Gin and its like drinking perfume.

Lidl currently doing Gordon’s for 17 a bottle.

As it's labeled London Dry Gin, nothing can be added after distillation except water and neutral alcohol so this can't be explained by too much "gin essence". If it was a compound gin (like Cork Dry Gin or Thin Gin) then it could be explained by a slip of the hand with the flavouring.

However, most producers make what is essentially a gin concentrate and cut it with neutral alcohol and water. This is done by adding double/triple /quadruple /whatever the amount of botanicals and cutting this concentrate with the appropriate amount of alcohol and then diluting to bottling strength.

It is possible that they didn't add the correct amount of alcohol and the gin ended up with a concentrated flavour.

Earlier in the year, Bombay Sapphire released gin that hadn't been diluted to bottling strength. It was around 70%. Mistakes do happen.

As it's labeled London Dry Gin, nothing can be added after distillation except water and neutral alcohol so this can't be explained by too much "gin essence". If it was a compound gin (like Cork Dry Gin or Thin Gin) then it could be explained by a slip of the hand with the flavouring.

However, most producers make what is essentially a gin concentrate and cut it with neutral alcohol and water. This is done by adding double/triple /quadruple /whatever the amount of botanicals and cutting this concentrate with the appropriate amount of alcohol and then diluting to bottling strength.

It is possible that they didn't add the correct amount of alcohol and the gin ended up with a concentrated flavour.

Earlier in the year, Bombay Sapphire released gin that hadn't been diluted to bottling strength. It was around 70%. Mistakes do happen.

Even when diluted with a lot of Tonic there is an unpleasant tang to the Gin, and as I've drunk a couple of bottles of it before its definitely not right.

The problem with Lidl is that they could have changed supplier. The labeling stays the same but the supplier can change. I know someone whose company supplies Lidl and when they got the contract the product changed slightly but the pubic would never know that.

Even when diluted with a lot of Tonic there is an unpleasant tang to the Gin, and as I've drunk a couple of bottles of it before its definitely not right.

The problem with Lidl is that they could have changed supplier. The labeling stays the same but the supplier can change. I know someone whose company supplies Lidl and when they got the contract the product changed slightly but the pubic would never know that.

Diluting with tonic won't bring it to the correct balance, if what I'm suggesting is what is going on. Cutting it with vodka would give a better idea.

Or are you suggesting that it is supposed to taste the way it does and is just horrible?

Diluting with tonic won't bring it to the correct balance, if what I'm suggesting is what is going on. Cutting it with vodka would give a better idea.

Or are you suggesting that it is supposed to taste the way it does and is just horrible?

Either there is something wrong and its horrible or Lidl have changed suppliers and its a different now horrible Gin. But tbh I can't see that the taste is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Either there is something wrong and its horrible or Lidl have changed suppliers and its a different now horrible Gin. But tbh I can't see that the taste is right.

Have a look at the back label. It used to be produced by Eckes in Germany. Haven't had it in ages, but it used to decent.

Have a look at the back label. It used to be produced by Eckes in Germany. Haven't had it in ages, but it used to decent.

Says bottled by Eckes.

Just off into town now (found the receipt :)) but first got my wife to try the gin and she says it tastes like someone has put a load of lemon essence in it. She's right there is a very strong lemon note to it but its not that nice its a sort of overdose of chemical lemon.

Edit>Got a refund but they didn't seem sure about it, the manager disappeared for a minute then came back and said it he could do a refund. Can't image many people would take an open bottle of spirits back with a complaint for a refund, but it just wasn't right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,237 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Two to three knocks of the bottle (may be a bit more than a drip each time) would be all I'd do.

Forget the tonic altogether and just have a pink gin.

Advertisement