Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Top Gear, will you be watching it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,439 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Would be nice to see Richard Porter involved in the future Top Gears - (not as an Evans replacement) despite him being some of what was wrong with the old version.
    He comes across well enough on camera, has been doing a few videos on YouTube recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Red Kev wrote: »
    The Stig thing has to stay: I mean if Ferrari bring out a new car then how the bloody hell are we supposed to see how it compares to any existing Lambo, Aston, Porsche on the road? TG track and the Nurburgring are good ways to measure that.

One of the most anticipated showdowns; and something I'm surprised they didn't have on this year was the LaFerrari v P1 v 918 comparison. They can have all the moody cinematography they want and indeed all the biased opinions they want, but the bottom line is how fast they go around the TG track and the only man (or woman) to do that is The Stig.

Chris Harris, Tiff Needel and I cant remember the 3rd bloke all done a test with the LaFerrari v P1 v 918, its on HarrisYoutube channel.

Basically all the manfactuers wanted the cars to run on broadily the same settings and makes sure the cars werent modded, they wanted to run around the same time of the day on the same fuel levels too IIRC, they also went as far as having the same tyres because the P1 came with super sticky ones as standard so they all went to a garage down the road from the track to have the same set of tyres fitted across the 3 cars.

Cant link to Youtube from work but it was a long enough video and was good viewing seeing the 3 guys try the 3 cars and give their opinion on what theyed pick and the different lap times between them.

The same 3 cars were used by Clarkson and Co for their new show who were on site the same weekend for a segment theyre doing for The Grand Tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Joeface wrote: »
    Some say getting rid of the Stig segment is a must .

The lead thing needs to go its very tired. But "Stig" was a source of info before and should be again not just the joke on the lead in. Didn't hear "his" opinions once on any of the hot lap cars this season. And that counts for a lot if its the same driver for the season comparing the cars. and there was always info passed before
    The Stig thing has to stay : I mean if Ferrari bring out a new car then how the bloody hell are we supposed to see how it compares to any existing Lambo, Aston, Porsche on the road? TG track and the Nurburgring are good ways to measure that.

Yeah I think the Stig needs to collect the pension, its just past it.

If honest I wouldn't mind seeing Plato/Tiff or both on the show....

11c87ce11c4a7d785798d9b83d6bd281_large_zpss1ktrrqc.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭ando

I had hoped Chris Evans would have made something out of it, but he just didn't suit the show. Flop. Too much like Big Breakfast or TGI, same old Chris Evans. But the worst thing was that NOTHING changed with the show, just the presenters. That was a bad idea IMO.

No more silly road trips.. they make no sense. No more Stig, that whole area of 'Some say' is well past it and simply boring at this stage. Chris Harris or that German girl are the best drivers out of the current presenters, get them to run around a track instead of the Stig! No more racing around with the reasonably priced car cr@p, stop trying to copy an already tired show structure. And dear god get rid of Le Blanc. Just because someone is expensive to hire doesn’t mean they're good for the show. I'd like to see Chris Harris head a NEW show, new program layout. Look at this guy’s channel, it’s a breath of fresh air and is what’s needed.

Watching top gear now is like watching Big Brother, X Factor, Britain's Got Talent.. no NEW ideas, trying to live off previous success and too afraid to try something different!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,111 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Good good good news. Hopefully now they'll set the show right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

The ugly truth arises and Chris... Bails. I wouldn't have expected it to end any other way tbh.

He's gone. Yaaaaay!!!

Plenty of people here are so happy that Chris left. Never come back :):):)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IMH he wasn't so bad on some of the outside studio sections. EG I think he did OK with the modernised MGB in the last show. It was the studio stuff that was cringe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Keep Reid and Harris for the reviews and Sabine for the fast laps.. job done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Enjoyed that last episode, there was some fun parts and serious parts with Evans very much taking a back seat......he's probably at his best interviewing the 'celebs' and his segment on the classic cars was well done ........they're definitely heading in the right direction with it, I don't think it needs a replacement for Evans if kept as is

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

About time Evans left, no need to replace him either just give us more cars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Id be in favour of Matthew Perry as one of the cast :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

On a serious note, the bbc shot themselves when they decided to air the episodes during the euros.
    I wonder if airing them in July would have had an impact on their ratings?
    I'm also curious as to what will happen if season 2 also ends up have dismal ratings.
    Cancelled?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Wibbs wrote: »
    IMH he wasn't so bad on some of the outside studio sections. EG I think he did OK with the modernised MGB in the last show. It was the studio stuff that was cringe.

He is useless in this type of show whether in studio or doing reviews, he should have stuck to radio and shouty television. Getting his(talentless) rich mates(Jordan) guest presenter slots just shows he is not really a car nut at all, just someone who likes people to know he spent a few million on a ridiculously overpriced car once, he is just a rich car collector who is not a driver or even a lover of real cars and motoring.

Was it always meant to be just 6 episodes? Or did they pull the plug on this season early ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Red Kev

D0NNELLY wrote: »
    Was it always meant to be just 6 episodes? Or did they pull the plug on this season early ?

6 now, 6 in Autumn. It's the way it's been done for a long time.

BTW I agree that Evans was at his best outside the studio, especially in the Rolls segment in Kerry and the DB6/E-Type/MG segment last night. It's just that overall he simply wasn't good enough.

6 now, 6 in Autumn. It's the way it's been done for a long time.

7 for the last few seasons at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

I'd like to see them bring Philip Glenister on board. He was originally apart of the bookies favorites when Jeremy got the sack.

However what they do need if they are looking for someone is somebody who can work well with Matt which is probably another American.

Dont think another American would be the best approach and would just render it tg usa.
    Evans gone, Jordan gone and I think it should be fine.
    Let the rest develop their friendships and see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Was he pushed or is it just coincidental that news of a police investigation into sexual assault is made public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

The Daily Mail is as credible as Joe down in the local pub though :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Evans has thankfully gone. I couldnt stand him. Constant shout shout shout shout. He always wore the same clothing in the studio, dressed like a tramp with is crap jeans and his yellow top with sleeves pulled up.

Praise the lord. Now, bring Jenson in and we could see much improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I watched the mgb part of the last episode.. It would lead you to believe that Chris Evans was a fall man for top gear. They bring in the new top gear, with something obviously wrong. They get people to say things like, everything else is great, the other presenters are ok, cinematography is great, cars are great, just get rid of chris. And then when he's gone people will say well at least it's every bit as good as before (technically, as in production etc.) just without the three boys.

Whereas if they had started off with chris doing good like he was in that last episode, people would have just picked the whole show to pieces.

Because he wasn't really shouting in that last episode, his review was good, he was driving somewhat better, no picking his ears.. either he settled in or he was purposefully ****e before.

Either way that's the story he will be going with when he writes a book about the experience in a couple of years

But he wasn't any good or even better than before in the last episode, we just saw less of him which was better. He reviewed a few of his favourite million pound collector cars but throw him into a track day car or other mainstream family saloon and he will revert to useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I suppose that's true but in general he wasn't as awful by the end of the episode I was going.. ah they could have just had him on every now and again to review those kind of cars he actually enjoys. The mgb review was good to be fair to him

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

If you ask me, if you want a car show, then Wheeler Dealers is where it's at.

Did you watch the most recent season of Wheeler Dealers, they fecking destroyed it with far too much Mike and made it too American, the very essence of the show which is Ed tinkering with things was practically missing

Did you watch the most recent season of Wheeler Dealers, they fecking destroyed it with far too much Mike and made it too American, the very essence of the show which is Ed tinkering with things was practically missing

The latest episode with the 68' Chevy Corvette was quite good with a load of stuff done by Ed who went onto detail about stuff like the older series and only a few bits done by Mike. the first 7 episodes weren't great though so hopefully 9-18 will be as good or better than episode 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Ardent

homer90 wrote: »
    Yeah I think the Stig needs to collect the pension, its just past it.

If honest I wouldn't mind seeing Plato/Tiff or both on the show....

11c87ce11c4a7d785798d9b83d6bd281_large_zpss1ktrrqc.jpg

Plato is really good! And sorely missed from fifth gear. But he's too busy competing (or at least he was).

Advertisement