Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

How do they work out it's 9 quid an hour? The pay scale in the booklet has the wages at roughly 11 and hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Think they are including lunch breaks 43 hrs, without lunch breaks its the 11 euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 busybride2be

Im a TCO and my net pay is 380. To me flexi time makes it worth it but I know different circumstances for different people.

I read that article this morning and I found it very off putting. But I just finished part A there. If Im not in I cant win.

I failed in the last competition by 5 marks in the numerical part. Im terrible at maths and i did find it hard.

But I scored relatively high in the verbal reasoning and error checking. Im trying to keep positive this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Im a TCO and my net pay is 380. To me flexi time makes it worth it but I know different circumstances for different people.

I read that article this morning and I found it very off putting. But I just finished part A there. If Im not in I cant win.

I failed in the last competition by 5 marks in the numerical part. Im terrible at maths and i did find it hard.

But I scored relatively high in the verbal reasoning and error checking. Im trying to keep positive this time round.

The only thing that makes the tco role worthwhile for me is FIS and the back to work family dividend. I reckon when it's all sorted it will be 200 a week extra.
    A 20 minute walk to work also helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

How many parts to B section? is it 3 or 4 parts?thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

LunarSea wrote: »
    How do they work out it's 9 quid an hour? The pay scale in the booklet has the wages at roughly 11 and hour.

As a successful 2014 CO competition candidate, I can confirm that after tax it works out at roughly 9 euro an hour. The union is still fighting this as its not a living wage. I earn 370 a week after tax, we got two pay rises already so I'm technically 20 euro well off a week at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

There's also a 30 min break around 10 or 11, is about 7 hours a day excluding breaks, about 12 a week after tax, Indo just likes sensationalist headlines. I'd rather a 22k public sector job than 26k private, no flexi in private sect and they work the hole off you, I've worked 50 actual hours in sector for 26k, works out at less per hour than da Sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭Amanda.ie

public service is a big place with lots of different departments all operating their own rules etc.
    Breaks, flexi , shorter working year etc are not always available depending on your department.

public service is a big place with lots of different departments all operating their own rules etc.
    Breaks, flexi , shorter working year etc are not always available depending on your department.
    We have strict break times, we dont go over them.

Amanda.ie wrote: »

True but most do have flexi at CO level at least, have been in Justice, Social Protection and Revenue and they all had flexi and morning breaks.

• Advertisement

True but most do have flexi at CO level at least, have been in Justice, Social Protection and Revenue and they all had flexi and morning breaks.

Not allowed in our dept unfortunately. Breaks are rigid and set. Have to be at the desk ten minutes before start time.

Not allowed in our dept unfortunately. Breaks are rigid and set. Have to be at the desk ten minutes before start time.

Guess I was lucky.

Well I once worked a job where they expected you in 10 minutes early (I never did as they don't pay you for it), always got out a few minutes after you were off the clock and never gave you a morning or afternoon break - it was your unpaid lunch hour and that was it (sometimes said lunch hour mightn't arrive until 3 in the afternoon despite being working since 9 that morning(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 busybride2be

juncert wrote: »
    How many parts to B section? is it 3 or 4 parts?thanks

3 i think.

Numerical
    Verbal Reasoning
    Error Checking

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Creol1

Slydice wrote: »

Remarkable that even more applied than in 2014; a bit disappointing that it's still so competitive despite the fall in unemployment.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Also interesting info regarding wages on the TCO thread:
    - single sc temp 12.60. Don't know what this is!
    - Prsi 16.79
    - USC 33.59
    =339.44 :(

With 2 kids I got 372 on JSB.

340 / 37 hours = €9.19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

340 / 37 hours = €9.19

Short term pain for long term gain! I turned down permanency in the Civil Service 10 years ago to work in a now defunct bank, I "could" have been top of the pay scale by now!

At the moment I am back in a PERMANENT Civil Service job at the bottom of the pat scale!

Best of luck to everybody. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

How long does part a take? Is it timed or is that just for part B?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Effie10

PopTarts wrote: »
    How long does part a take? Is it timed or is that just for part B?

Part A is not timed. Took me about 35mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ando88

Just completed part A, how long until we hear back for part B?

• Advertisement

340 / 37 hours = €9.19

Not true, that USC rate is wrong. Its about 364 after tax

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I got in the Civil Service as part of the 2014 CO campaign. I get €363 a week in to my pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tpau

Oh I really hope they don't take the time taken to complete part a into consideration as I did it very late last night and kept second guessing myself.

Tpau wrote: »
    Oh I really hope they don't take the time taken to complete part a into consideration as I did it very late last night and kept second guessing myself.

I'm not being mean, but I am astounded at the amount of people who seemingly didn't read the instructions given - there's no time penalty for part A.

All this info is given to you. It's a job application (which I assume you want), why not read everything they give you incase you miss something?

Anyway, hope it went well for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tpau

LunarSea wrote: »
    I'm not being mean, but I am astounded at the amount of people who seemingly didn't read the instructions given - there's no time penalty for part A.

All this info is given to you. It's a job application (which I assume you want), why not read everything they give you incase you miss something?

Anyway, hope it went well for everyone.

I know and you're right but I keep thinking there is even though it said there isn't!!

Tpau wrote: »
    I know and you're right but I keep thinking there is even though it said there isn't!!

They give a recommended idea of how long you should take (think it was 60 minutes but I think most folk clock in lower than that), but it's defo not timed.

Keep relaxe about it, no point adding to the stress over something that is not a factor!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

jaffusmax wrote: »
    At the moment I am back in a PERMANENT Civil Service job at the bottom of the pat scale!

:(

Patrick

Paddy

Padraig

Pat

Páraic

Patsy

Podge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just a thought, why would you need to be at your desk ten mins before you start? You either start at the time mentioned or you don't. I wouldn't be having that, that's cracking the whip too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gezz36

Completed Part a last night...not too bad.about 35 minutes..kept doubting my answers, hard to know what way you should react to some of them..now the wait for Part B!!

• Advertisement

TallGlass wrote:
    Just a thought, why would you need to be at your desk ten mins before you start? You either start at the time mentioned or you don't. I wouldn't be having that, that's cracking the whip too much.

Never heard of that to and was in 3 different Dept's.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement