Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 natec12

Could someone please point me in the direction of practice tests? I know there's some examples on the pas website but if anyone knew of books, websites etc I'd be grateful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

natec12 wrote: »
    Could someone please point me in the direction of practice tests? I know there's some examples on the pas website but if anyone knew of books, websites etc I'd be grateful.

They can be found on publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

Hello, I have a few questions with regard to the regional preferences

If I state I want to apply for Dublin & Kildare, am I excluded from all positions other than those two or is there a possibility I will be offered something outside those locations if positions in those areas are filled up?

If I am offered a position in Dublin will I no longer be in consideration for a position in Dublin alone or both Dublin and Kildare? And if I refuse the Dublin offer, will I be out of consideration for an appointment entirely?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf00

natec12 wrote: »

I bought a book, Perfect Numerical Test Results. Think it was around €10.
    I presume we can use calculators??? Anyone know? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Hello, I have a few questions with regard to the regional preferences

If I state I want to apply for Dublin & Kildare, am I excluded from all positions other than those two or is there a possibility I will be offered something outside those locations if positions in those areas are filled up?

If I am offered a position in Dublin will I no longer be in consideration for a position in Dublin alone or both Dublin and Kildare? And if I refuse the Dublin offer, will I be out of consideration for an appointment entirely?

Thanks.

You won't be offered anything outside of Dublin or Kildare. If you are offered a position in Dublin and refuse, you are off the panel for Dublin but will still be offered something in Kildare if they reach your number.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Stormington

You won't be offered anything outside of Dublin or Kildare. If you are offered a position in Dublin and refuse, you are off the panel for Dublin but will still be offered something in Kildare if they reach your number.
    Muchas gracias senor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 alocinm

I'm on the 2014 panel but looks doubtful I'll be getting anything before its cleared so hopefully I'll be more lucky this time round. Best of luck to everyone :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

Does anyone one know how many position there are in Dublin in this panel ? Do you need to score really well to be in the run for the interview stage. I have never applied for this before and anymore information would be helpful.Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Does anyone know how long we will be waiting to do the aptitude tests? I think last time you got the questionnaire first and then after had to the tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Does anyone know how does the examples for CO testing given on the Public Jobs site compare to the real thing? They seem a bit cushy (aside from the time restraint on error checking).

Numerical reasoning is a bit of a joke as it's mostly working out percentages and basic arithmetic - primary school stuff - and it states you only need to get 6 out of 20 questions right to pass!

Don't want to rest on my laurels if the actual tests are a big step up.

Ta :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

LunarSea wrote: »
    Does anyone know how does the examples for CO testing given on the Public Jobs site compare to the real thing? They seem a bit cushy (aside from the time restraint on error checking).

Numerical reasoning is a bit of a joke as it's mostly working out percentages and basic arithmetic - primary school stuff - and it states you only need to get 6 out of 20 questions right to pass!

I'm sure they are similar. I figured the tests were more about attention to detail during repetitive tasks rather than measuring intellectual ability.

By the way. If anyone wants a fun way to prepare their mind for this kind of thinking I recommend Papers Please (Currently 50% off for PC/Mac/Linux - also available on iPAD)

Glory to Arstotzka

Sorry but I find the numerical reasoning very difficult and I'm sure other people do as well, I failed the numerical test in the last campaign and I certainly wouldn't be comparing it to primary school stuff. the examples on public jobs are what you will be given if you find them so easy count yourself lucky cause plenty of others find these tests quite difficult.

fin12 wrote: »
    Sorry but I find the numerical reasoning very difficult and I'm sure other people do as well, I failed the numerical test in the last campaign and I certainly wouldn't be comparing it to primary school stuff. the examples on public jobs are what you will be given if you find them so easy count yourself lucky cause plenty of others find these tests quite difficult.

I genuinely don't mean to cause offence, but that stuff is literally primary school level. The CO level stuff I can do in my head (I thought that was the point of it), but they allow pen/paper and a calculator too.

If it's something you feel you're weak on, there's tonnes of online resources that can show the logic behind what needs doing and helps you recognise what is being asked (which I've always found to be the best way to learn).

I genuinely don't mean to cause offence, but that stuff is literally primary school level. The CO level stuff I can do in my head (I thought that was the point of it), but they allow pen/paper and a calculator too.

If it's something you feel you're weak on, there's tonnes of online resources that can show the logic behind what needs doing and helps you recognise what is being asked (which I've always found to be the best way to learn).

Just a heads up. If the stuff is so little challenge to you you will be bored out of your head in a Clerical Officer position.

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    Just a heads up. If the stuff is so little challenge to you you will be bored out of your head in a Clerical Officer position.

It's not that there's no challenge, I just found the numerical stuff incredibly easy compared to the verbal and error checking to the point where I thought I was missing something.

And I'm glad to hear CO is boring, it's exactly what I'm in the market for!

Ive already done a course and have plenty of books, it's something I need to constantly work on so it is actually insulting you calling it primary school level stuff.

And I'm glad to hear CO is boring, it's exactly what I'm in the market for!

I didn't say it was boring and in fact it's not boring for people who are suited to it. If a job challenges someone they will develop their skills. If it doesn't they will stagnate and just leave for something else in short order. Being bored day after day sucks, a lot, and is actually an insidious mental health risk.

fin12 wrote: »
    Ive already done a course and have plenty of books, it's something I need to constantly work on so it is actually insulting you calling it primary school level stuff.

It's addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentages/fractions - you do the first four by the time you hit first class, the latter by about fourth class.

I'm not trying to insult (sincere apologies if it comes across like that), but I am genuinely questioning the sample tests as I clicked on it and found arithmetic that I first learned in primary school :confused:

I got my answer, that they are more or less as advertised so I'll say no more (and not to derail). I also genuinely wish you luck with your application and again, apologise if any offence was caused :)

Sprog 4 wrote: »
    I didn't say it was boring and in fact it's not boring for people who are suited to it. If a job challenges someone they will develop their skills. If it doesn't they will stagnate and just leave for something else in short order. Being bored day after day sucks, a lot, and is actually an insidious mental health risk.

I don't mean being bored rigid, more that it's not going to be a globe-trotting, life or death stress fest, and you get to leave your work at work and it will leave you with time and energy to pursue your life outside of there to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

True. Or at least junior cert maths level. However, no matter how easy or simple a maths equation may seem, if you haven't applied it recently or are not familiar with it, it can be quite difficult. Everyone had to learn their tables and basic algebra at sum stage. And while they are relatively easy to learn in school, it's not as easy as an adult and after years of not using them as I said.

I do agree that the error checking was far more difficult however. And quite ridiculous. The restrictive time limit was ironic given the whole point of error checking is to pay attention to detail and double check for potential errors. Not race through it and hope for the best. Oh well. Same for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Apologies if this was already asked but does everyone get sent these tests after registering or is it only a select few? Also is there any timeline guide as to when you'd expect to get to the test stage after registering?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf00

deise_girl wrote: »
    Apologies if this was already asked but does everyone get sent these tests after registering or is it only a select few? Also is there any timeline guide as to when you'd expect to get to the test stage after registering?

They are on the publicjobs.ie website.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Clerical Positions 2016 Stage 1 Part A is up from tomorrow, anyone have any tpis or advice on what to expect

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭tiny14

just got link for part A of assesment i have from tomorrow until wednesday to complete it!!! best of luck to you all!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Do clerical officers get paid weekly or monthly?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

Whats part A of the Assessment and does everyone get the link all at once or is it done in stages?

part A is the self assesment one with different situations an you pick the one that you would do it seems theres no wrong or right in this one its only to see if you would be suited to clerical officer job an i think but could be wrong only had a quick read as im rushing out again that if you get to qualifying standard you are sent part B which is the apitude tests and anyone that applied will be sent this

mikeym wrote: »
    Do clerical officers get paid weekly or monthly?

weeklyðŸ‘ðŸ¼ðŸ‘ðŸ¼

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SeanOS92

Has everyone who applied got them already ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

SeanOS92 wrote: »
    Has everyone who applied got them already ?

No. I got mine but friend who applied the same time didn't get hers yet. Probably being sent out in stages.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement