Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clerical Officer Campaign 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

Just finished my part a 😄 lots of tricky situations to find myself in just flew through them go with the gut . Would love this job have been a chef and still am for 16yrs now love it but can't see me being a chef in 15yrs time body wouldn't be fit for it

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭garycoyle1

Just finished my part a 😄 lots of tricky situations to find myself in just flew through them go with the gut . Would love this job have been a chef and still am for 16yrs now love it but can't see me being a chef in 15yrs time body wouldn't be fit for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I guess everyone gets to complete part b regardless of part a result?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

PopTarts wrote: »

I don't think so, they use part A as a screening of sorts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭juncert

PopTarts wrote: »
    Yes,everyone gets to do part B,once you completed part A,you will be scored on a+b then,you need to pass both.Hth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Any notion on when Part B will be out and then what is the process after that and time line?

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Wait did part b not follow straight away? If not wat is part B?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Wait did part b not follow straight away? If not wat is part B?

Part b is the apptitude tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Creol1 wrote: »
    Remarkable that even more applied than in 2014; a bit disappointing that it's still so competitive despite the fall in unemployment.
    When you consider the fall in employment conditions it's not so remarkable. The civil service, despite the pitiful pay, at least has a good record regarding workers' rights and respect in the workplace. Things that are difficult to find in comparatively paid private sector workplaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

fin12 wrote: »
    Part b is the apptitude tests.

Ok say I only did a questionnaire of sorts about myself followed by a short etray test and followed by a few skills question.

Not exactly appitute test....should i get in contact with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Ok say I only did a questionnaire of sorts about myself followed by a short etray test and followed by a few skills question.

Not exactly appitute test....should i get in contact with them.

Part B has not been released yet, just part A.
    You will get an email when part B is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭AidySevenfold

The amount of people that don't read the information booklet or messages is quite stunning. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

The amount of people that don't read the information booklet or messages is quite stunning.

Some young people now don't read instructions, they just come unto social media and ask questions, unlikely they will pass error checking if they can't glean the basics of how the application works, its all in the initial emails.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

Does anyone know what to expect in the numerical test in Part B? I'm terrible at Math's and I'm worried I'll fall down in that section...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,040 ✭✭✭Guffy

sellasheep wrote: »
    Does anyone know what to expect in the numerical test in Part B? I'm terrible at Math's and I'm worried I'll fall down in that section...

There is an example test on publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

I'm an EO in the civil service - I done plenty of tests like this in various competitions for higher grades, so i wouldn't fret too much. A lot of it is knowing how to read a straight forward graph, and being able to calculate percentages and ratios. as its multiple choice answers it is essentially just a speed test and you would be lucky to finish it anyway.

Good luck though!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

I'm an EO in the civil service - I done plenty of tests like this in various competitions for higher grades, so i wouldn't fret too much. A lot of it is knowing how to read a straight forward graph, and being able to calculate percentages and ratios. as its multiple choice answers it is essentially just a speed test and you would be lucky to finish it anyway.

Good luck though!!

Thanks a million! Might get someone good at maths to do it for me just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gezz36

That would be a waste of time because if you get through to the supervised test and do not score similar you will be eliminated (not great move if you take the time out to travel to the test venue and waste a day)
    Try the tests on public jobs and see how you score...you might surprise yourself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭mjp

Only checked my mails just now and realised I missed the deadline of 1clock today for completing part A. Is there any way I can redo this or is it tough luck. Raging with myself as seen e mail last week n completely forgot about it since

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭gezz36

mjp wrote: »
    Only checked my mails just now and realised I missed the deadline of 1clock today for completing part A. Is there any way I can redo this or is it tough luck. Raging with myself as seen e mail last week n completely forgot about it since

Did you try to login and see will it let you do it?? Worth a try, otherwise I would imagine its too late...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭mjp

Tried link there but says its closed. Dont know much about these as it was my sister who got me to apply. Can anyone tell me if these openings come up very often or what type of roles they would be. Are they all entry level roles at lower end of payscale or can you enter at executive/ management level from private sector roles.
    Apologies for my ignorance or lack of knowledgement of roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭irish_dave_83

mjp wrote: »
    Tried link there but says its closed. Don't know much about these as it was my sister who got me to apply. Can anyone tell me if these openings come up very often or what type of roles they would be. Are they all entry level roles at lower end of payscale or can you enter at executive/ management level from private sector roles.
    Apologies for my ignorance or lack of knowledgement of roles.

This particular competition is for the entry level clerical role. There were recent competitions for Executive Officer(junior Mgt), Administrtive Officer(Middle Mangement/Policy role), and Assistant Principal(Higher Middle management). There may be more at the latter end of the year.
    You will start all roles at the bottom of there respective pay scales for example EO starts on 29kand rises to 46K, AO starts at 29k and rises to 56K (very quickly) and AP starts and 64/5K and rises to 78/9K.

The main difference in going for these competitions(compared to the Clerical officer campaign) is that you would be competing with serving civil servants looking for promotion as well as the general public.

Get a basic numerical tests book in Eason or Chapters, that's how I passed that section, maths is my weakness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

When will the aptitude tests be? Week(s)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭PopTarts

Canadel wrote: »
    When will the aptitude tests be? Week(s)?

I'd say next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

They've not decided on using testing.

I've a hdip, postgrad and bsc hons and they want my leaving results from 1985.
    They also want every job I've done in 30 years and the names of 4 hr managers in the firms I've worked for.
    I didn't know whether to walk in front of the bus or get on it going home this evening.

Closing date today for DCC CO competition...word has it that DCC (as distinct from the Civil Service) will not be using testing but will shortlist mainly based on the quality of your answers to the competency questions on the application form ...

best of luck to all..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

No offence, but that's a really lousy attitude to have.

As has been pointed pointed out, you'll have to sit a supervised test anyway and will be caught out, but how do you think it would pan out in an on the job situation?

You can't exactly say to your boss "I'll just pop out and phone a friend to see how I can do this as I cheated on the application and don't know what I'm doing".

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

I went through the CO competition last year and it was so obvious when we had the supervised tests that there were some people who had gotten the first tests done for them. They were far more nervous, weren't sure what to expect, one lady didn't even know how to log on. There's no point in getting someone else to go the tests for you because in the long run you'll just get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ando88

i was in the DCC building today, saw around 150 applications for the clerical positions. Two different shelves (one for dcc employees and other for members of the public)

I answered honestly and truthfully, fingers crossed I will at least get an interview :)

• Advertisement

Areas wrote:
    I went through the CO competition last year and it was so obvious when we had the supervised tests that there were some people who had gotten the first tests done for them. They were far more nervous, weren't sure what to expect, one lady didn't even know how to log on. There's no point in getting someone else to go the tests for you because in the long run you'll just get caught out.

Well said, good luck to all the honest, deserving applicants.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement