Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - Ulster v Leinster, RavenSpan, 15:00, Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Speaking of self-awareness, are you self aware that you quoted 19 separate posts and linked an article by Victor Costello all to leave the comment "Would you guys like some cheese with the whine"?

As long as you're enjoying yourself Jaco. Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Nice magnanimity in victory there. Classy guy.
    Maybe you should get someone to read out the various posts I quoted. Maybe hearing them rather than reading them might give you pause for thought though I doubt you have that capacity foe neutrality. I'm not commenting on the game but on the posts and how 'classy' they are. I doubt if some of their authors would know' class' if it kicked then in the 'nads.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Tbqh I'm not even sure why you quoted me.

My criticisms were about how poor Leisnter were. Oh, and that remark from Howe.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Clancy was fine. 1st penalty try was a 50/50 call otherwise I didn't spot any major howlers.

I don't think blaming the ref is uniquely an Ulster thing. It's basically de rigueur on this forum for most games.

Ref definitely was not the reason Leinster lost/Ulster won.

I can only assume you weren't paying full attention... He was really poor.

That mess before Ulster's 3rd try was typical of the embarrassment. They take a quick lineout. He shouts play on. Noone listens to him. The Ulster player stops. He changes his mind hoping noone notices it and brings everyone up for a lineout in Leinster's 22. That's just one example. He's just not very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

lol, ulster fans of all people lecturing others for complaining about clancy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

I still think glasgow have the beating of both teams on display today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

jacothelad wrote: »
    Maybe you should get someone to read out the various posts I quoted. Maybe hearing them rather than reading them might give you pause for thought though I doubt you have that capacity foe neutrality. I'm not commenting on the game but on the posts and how 'classy' they are. I doubt if some of their authors would know' class' if it kicked then in the 'nads.

You're spoiling your own enjoyment of a great win just to score points on an anonymous forum.

You should be in great form. Just seems a bit odd and a bit depressing really.

Hagz wrote: »
    Speaking of self-awareness, are you self aware that you quoted 19 separate posts and linked an article by Victor Costello all to leave the comment "Would you guys like some cheese and whine"?

As long as you're enjoying yourself Jaco. Carry on.

I'm sorry you don't get the point but then maybe it was a bit over your head. The whole thread began by making sneering comments about a whole set of rugby fans and then proceeded into a cavalcade of posts that did almost exactly what the sneering suggested. I'm not enjoying it at all. In fact it is very depressing to read such childish bilge, often from people who are very clued in to the game in general.

I did enjoy the Costello bit I have to say. Big Vic does talk some claptrap but it doesn't usually get into the Indo. The cheese and whine bit was nothing to do with Victor. There was a time when rugby supporters didn't behave in that way and it's a constant shame that it has gone down this road. Comments like "When does the booing start?", are pretty much the purview of the thoughtless, ill-informed cretin.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I still think glasgow have the beating of both teams on display today

On current form they're the best side in the competition.

I think only Connacht are match for the skills wise and even then Glasgow have the edge up front.

Swan Curry wrote: »
    lol, ulster fans of all people lecturing others for complaining about clancy

QED. Thanks.

• Advertisement

You're spoiling your own enjoyment of a great win just to score points on an anonymous forum.

You should be in great form. Just seems a bit odd and a bit depressing really.

The depressing thing for me is how such awful manners and appalling behaviour is now seen on here as o.k.

The depressing thing for me is how such awful manners and appalling behaviour is now seen on here as o.k.

you care way too much about dumb posts on a website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Clegg wrote: »
    On current form they're the best side in the competition.

I think only Connacht are match for the skills wise and even then Glasgow have the edge up front.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but ulster looked pretty damn skilful today. When pienaar gets his act together it tends to help.

I like the way Jaco quotes the description of the folk North of the wall! I'm sure he displays a similar outrage/sense of humour when Leinster fans are described as Mexicans! Thankfully most understand the intent :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

You mistake Jacothelad folks, it's just Ulster Pashun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭A-Train

Would you guys like some cheese with the whine?

Perhaps the Ulster team read this article by perrenial show pony 8 Victor Costello.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/cullens-men-should-be-able-to-make-ulster-faithful-sit-back-in-awe-of-them-34668491.html
    "
    Cullen's men should be able to make Ulster faithful sit back in awe of them"

Victor Costello, the man who put the 'aw' in awful.:D

You can call it what you want, the point still stands that a ref that is regularly slated on this forum for a perceived bias nearly against Ulster gave them a lot of favourable decisions today!

Fair enough you say, that's sport but the reason why Clancy was commented on today was the sheer inconsistency in his calls, pinging one team for high tackles and ignoring the other team 5 mins later.

Consistency and confidence in their calls is what from a ref and frankly that was not on display today. Did it have a bearing on the result today, yes, were Ulster the better team today, yes, were Leinster a shambles in attack, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

So anyway.

No, Clancy didn't cost us the game. The two yellows were correct but the penalty try was very harsh. We still went in 10-6 down at half time and very much in the game.

The second half was just brutal though. No direction. Once the rolling maul failed to deliver, we just ran out of ideas.

For the semi final, we must play Luke at 12 and Te'o at 13. No debate. Kearney in for Triggs, pray that O'Brien is back and drop Isa for Kirchner.

So anyway.

No, Clancy didn't cost us the game. The two yellows were correct but the penalty try was very harsh. We still went in 10-6 down at half time and very much in the game.

The second half was just brutal though. No direction. Once the rolling maul failed to deliver, we just ran out of ideas.

For the semi final, we must play Luke at 12 and Te'o at 13. No debate. Kearney in for Triggs, pray that O'Brien is back and drop Isa for Kirchner.

I'd agree with all of that. I think Ringrose may be kept over Fitz but I'm happy with that call either way, they both bring something different. It may be Fitz on the left wing with DK on the right.

We should have been more dominant up front. I'm hoping Leo will demand a lot more than that from the pack because they were below par today. Handling errors in the tight were so frustrating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Would you guys like some cheese with the whine?

Perhaps the Ulster team read this article by perrenial show pony 8 Victor Costello.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/cullens-men-should-be-able-to-make-ulster-faithful-sit-back-in-awe-of-them-34668491.html
    "
    Cullen's men should be able to make Ulster faithful sit back in awe of them"

Victor Costello, the man who put the 'aw' in awful.:D

Living in Leinster I had the priveledge of getting the Leinster supplement with this amazing headline in it. The shock and awe effect. I had to internally smile and then cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

So anyway.

Or alternatively drop T'eo and play Luke at 12 with Ringrose at 13. The one thing we are certain of is that T'eo isn't even close to being a 12 and is a waste of a backline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I personally thought Te'o was one of the few Leinster players to show any teeth in attack today.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Or alternatively drop T'eo and play Luke at 12 with Ringrose at 13. The one thing we are certain of is that T'eo isn't even close to being a 12 and is a waste of a backline.

It's ridiculous to act as if there's a strict definition of what a 12 is but if there is one what makes Luke more of a 12 than Te'o? I'm not his biggest fan but the problems with Leinster's backline go far deeper than Te'o's occasional stupid offload

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

I thought Clancy was fine.

Leinster's attack is very, very ineffective. Barakat put it best when he said that the shape was predictable. It's a coaching issue, but the fault can't all be laid at Dempsey's door, I don't think, because there's more to attack than just backplay - as all the talk of Connacht's 2-4-2 forwards set-up highlights

The defence isn't a problem in my opinion, despite the concession of 30 points. One try came from an intercept that was made easy to make because of the predictable attack. Another 5-pointer was concedes while down to 14 men, and the penalty try was due to individual misreads and mistakes

Hard to see Leinster doing well in the knock-out stages

Swan Curry wrote: »
    It's ridiculous to act as if there's a strict definition of what a 12 is but if there is one what makes Luke more of a 12 than Te'o? I'm not his biggest fan but the problems with Leinster's backline go far deeper than Te'o's occasional stupid offload

I would say the fact that Luke will actually pass the ball on more than a fleeting occasion. Luke has a far greater capacity to read a situation and react accordingly. T'eo does better with more space and time, playing at 12 it seems to just be head down and take it into contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

stephen_n wrote: »

Drop Teo? Nah. He's one of our best players and can at least offload and break a tackle.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I personally thought Te'o was one of the few Leinster players to show any teeth in attack today.

Having teeth in attack and operating as part of a backline are not necessarily the same thing. T'eo will always be an attacking threat but if he starves those outside him of ball, it becomes far to easy to defend against him. 12's need to distribute more. D'Arcy was excellent at using short passes to bring players into the game, even though he was more than capeable of making the hard yards when needed. T'eo as a 12 doesn't demonstrate that for me. He's better at 13 with more space to attack and his offloading game can work better out there too.

Te'o was good at 12 today and starved no one of ball. There's nothing wrong with him as a 12 especially outside Sexton who is so rangey. This is a criticism not based on today's game.

He may well be better at 13. That's a different discussion. I'd probably put him at 13 but not because he's limiting anything at 12.

Te'o was good at 12 today and starved no one of ball. There's nothing wrong with him as a 12 especially outside Sexton who is so rangey. This is a criticism not based on today's game.

He may well be better at 13. That's a different discussion. I'd probably put him at 13 but not because he's limiting anything at 12.

No your right it's not based on one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Well. That was pathetic. (from a Leinster perspective - congrats Ulster, well deserved. No ref complaints from me.).

Quite a tonking, and looked absolutely clueless at times. So much for our strong team of internationals available. We were better without them. Some sympathy for those saying Joe is biased towards his old Leinster pals seeing that (there is a case for the Ireland team being an Ulster Connacht combo plus Murray).
    Scrum was good in the first half, Teo and Ruddock did well throughout and fought to the end. But the rest of them. Bloody hell.
    Sexton just phoning it in now that his eyes are on his big money move to Bordeaux. Oh no. He doesnt even have that excuse. I thought he was committed to Leinster. Should make an effort if he wants us to believe it.
    Rob. Glad Clancy gave the penalty try. Uttely brainless from Kearney, and rightly punished. The bar for penalty tries shouldnt be as high as it is and it would inhibit that type of cynical play where he thought he was doing the right thing trading 3 points for the risk of 7.
    Heaslip - one of those those dies non for which he used to be criticised and I though he had put behind him over the last few years, where his average game has become very very good.
    JVDF. Just not seeing what the guy has tbh. And not just this game. Couldnt understand his fast tracking even to the Irish time. Not sure that there is a lot there really.
    Isa. The inventive spark and acceleration of old is well and truly gone. Fitzie or Kirchner for the semi.
    McGrath. Mediocre really. Didnt let us down though. But Reddan offers nothing more. We are weak at SH.
    Ringrose. Has the talent. But needs the help of a serious backs coach pronto if he is to get the best out of himself.

Some of the play was a disgrace. What is it with the inside pass in slow traffic where the receiver has about 8 of the opposition lined up just wondering which two of them will drive him backwards?
    Shape was pulled all over the place, and they looked like old style amateurs rather than seasoned pros playing a well drilled modern game.
    Ball in hand, at times it looked like no one wanted it and just shovelled it along brainlessly so that someone else would have to take the inevitable hit.
    They looked so out of form it was more like the first game of the season where they had all had the summer off, and there were a few buyins new to the systems screwing things up as well.

No pro 12 trophy for us with that level of garbage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Compared to Munster last night they were like altar boys. No harm, just a bit of craic.

A bit dim though I though.
    They booed Kearney when he came back from the bin as if he had cost them something - they should have been cheering him - he gave them 7 points and 10 minutes against 14 men !
    Stand Uuup, for the Kearney Man, Stand uuuuup for the Kearney Man.

Advertisement