Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - Ulster v Leinster, RavenSpan, 15:00, Sky Sports 1

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Shane Horgan said it was the skillz.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The penalty try decision went against Leinster. There were too many variables IMO for it to be awarded, but I have to admit to being p****d off with Cullen for accusing Pienaar of milking it. There was a pretty obviously clash of heads with Kearney (not intentional on Kearney's part).

The game could have gone differently were it not for the PT, but Leinster were pretty predictable in attack and in theast half hour Ulster were making yards at will so who knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

bilston wrote: »
    The penalty try decision went against Leinster. There were too many variables IMO for it to be awarded, but I have to admit to being p****d off with Cullen for accusing Pienaar of milking it. There was a pretty obviously clash of heads with Kearney (not intentional on Kearney's part).

The game could have gone differently were it not for the PT, but Leinster were pretty predictable in attack and in theast half hour Ulster were making yards at will so who knows.

Wasn't aware there was a head clash - I'll need to rewatch it, but I will admit I thought he was making a bit of meal of it at the time

There's absolutely a head clash - you can actually see it more with Kearney's head, which snaps back off Pienaar's. I thought it was low from Cullen as well, and more reckless from Kearney than It first seemed.

I like the response from Kiss in the article in the Independent.

" "Everyone has a sob story here and there," notes Kiss."

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/leinster-rugby/leo-cullens-ref-complaints-cant-mask-leinster-failings-in-humbling-belfast-trip-34676394.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭OldRio

In my humble opinion. Both cards and the penalty try were correct. Two cynical and deliberate fouls rightly punished. Cullen should direct his complaints at his team and not the officials.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,006 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not really sure what Pienaar milked, he was clearly enough taken out. I think the penalty try was seriously harsh. No issue with the yellow though.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

What interests me with the PT was that the commentary box started talking about it straight away and Shaaaag was quick to agree with the decision. It could definitely be described as probable that Pienaar would have scored the try.

Pienaar is surprisingly quick when the mood takes him. If on the other hand the wording of the law said 'definitely going to score' I think there would be more of an argument against.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Pienaar milking it is just nonsense. He was properly clattered, no way he could have stayed on his feet at all, and then some physios came on to run through the typical injury check procedure. He couldn't exactly get up in the middle of that. In fact, I remember Nacewa and Ringrose doing the exact same thing at a couple of points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

I thought Pienaar milked it a tad. However, it was already a definite YC, so it had no influence.

NB: for PT the law is "probably" (not "definitely") would have been scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I thought Pienaar milked it a tad. However, it was already a definite YC, so it had no influence.

NB: for PT the law is "probably" (not "definitely") would have been scored.

Why do you think Pienaar milked it? I really don't get this. He got clattered in the head by Kearney!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭swiwi_

bilston wrote: »
    Why do you think Pienaar milked it? I really don't get this. He got clattered in the head by Kearney!

Exaggerated his dive then.

Maybe I'm being harsh. It was just my impression that he flailed a bit more than I might have expected.

As I already said it was a clear penalty/YC, and probably PT.

He's not in the Habana-camp yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

There is also the fact that Trimble was also simultaneously taken out off the ball. He was on Pienaar's left shoulder. Without the foul play he would have been right there and is quicker than Ruan and would have been closer to the ball than any cover tackler and travelling flat out. I.m.o. whoever took Trimble out should also have been carded. It was a penalty try when all facts are considered. I initially thought otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

rsh118 wrote: »
    I've watched the match back a couple of times now and what I think hampered Leinster a lot was the head on Nacewa, he lost his cool after the penalty try and seemed a bit headless for a long time after that.

Think we've all felt that though, when you feel like everything is going against you and nothing is fair.

Mmmm what lost that game was our preparation or lack of it, find out where most of the squad were last weekend for 3 days and then you begin to understand the reason. Would not have been tolerated by Chekia or Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

You couldn't possibly be suggesting that Nacewa's headache had its origins a few days earlier could you? Don't tell me they forsook Mexico for actual Mexico or something similar? Been hanging out with Castrogiovanni?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I thought the PT was harsh at the time and haven't watched it back to comment further. But I really don't think there's any point in going on about it. The most important thing to take away from the game is that once again when faced with a decent defence Leinster could not create a score. We didn't deserve a LBP, let alone the win, so there's feck all point in looking at the officials regardless of their performance. It's done and it's not something that Leinster can fix. Their own performance is far more in their control and should be the sole focus from the moment the final whistle went. If there's an issue with an official there are channels to go through to raise that without flagging it in the media.

For me though it wasn't all negative. I thought Sexton went well in the first half and actually started to link up well with Te'o at times. I also like that we're using both McGrath and Sexton on the wrap around. There are ways that we can be looking to utilise that to overcome Te'os distribution issues and maybe bring Ringrose into things a bit better.

One thing that I can't really recall was whether Ringrose was looking to run lines off Te'o to receive the offload. We really need a guy on each shoulder when he takes the ball up because he does draw in defenders and needs options for the offload. Too often guys who make a bust are left going to deck and recycling because the support just isn't there to take advantage.

Advertisement