Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - Ulster v Leinster, RavenSpan, 15:00, Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

I don't know why Ulster fans give out about Clancy he is giving them everything today! Farce of a penalty try call, well covered, pienaar made a meal of that as well,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

No way is it a penalty try. It's likely a try but no highly probably

I'm not even sure I'd go as far as likely to be honest. Remove Kearney and it's still a footrace with McGrath and a possibly a bouncing ball.

Bloody dim though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Christ, can we stop accusing players of 'milking penalties' every time the medics come on to the pitch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Yellow card but not a penaltry. Clancy is an awful ref

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

Yellow card all day, never a penalty try

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Clancy is now a great ref in Awec's book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

A-Train wrote: »
    I don't know why Ulster fans give out about Clancy he is giving them everything today! Farce of a penalty try call, well covered, pienaar made a meal of that as well,

Because they give out about every ref. All of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Does he even have a chance of beating it to the dead ball line?

Extremely slim. And that's assuming he doesn't knock it on or take the ball out of play

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

I get the penalty try decision to be honest. Forces full-backs to try and make tackles rather than take the 10 and prevent the try. Strong signal to cynicism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Crimsonforce

Whens the booing kicking in? Havent heard much so far

• Advertisement

Nah, we love Nigel. As longed he gives us all the decisions. Though obviously we aren't quite as enlightened as Leinster fans when it comes to see the ref's point of view in all circumstances ;)

Haha fair enough, I thought Clancy got more then most but I think you're correct!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

RK continues his pretty meh season. no need to do what he did and fully deserving of the pen and as a FB he should know that a decision like that always runs the risk of a pen try.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

rsh118 wrote: »
    I get the penalty try decision to be honest. Forces full-backs to try and make tackles rather than take the 10 and prevent the try. Strong signal to cynicism.

The laws around the penalty are fairly clear though. A try would have to have probably been scored apart from the infringement and there is no way you can say that about this.

Also "taking the 10" and giving away a penalty in front of the posts to avoid a try is a questionable strategy at best anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

That only acts as a deterrent when it's consistently enforced, which it isn't. Normally that's a yellow and a penalty

Podge_irl wrote: »

The laws around the penalty are fairly clear though. A try would have to have probably been scored apart from the infringement and there is no way you can say that about this.

Also "taking the 10" and giving away a penalty in front of the posts to avoid a try is a questionable strategy at best anyway.

It's questionable, but lots of FBs consider 3 to be less than 7. Anyway, St. Ruan would almost certainly have scored because he is St. Ruan so it's academic at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Genuine question because i'm not 100% but does the law not require the ref to be certain (not probable) a try would be scored?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

George "Don't worry if the player has the ball I'll let you tackle him because I'm sound" Clancy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yep, I doubt that was his intention. He got caught in no man's land and decided on a tight turn to chase Pienaar and left the shoulder in to make sure. It didn't look innocent Rob. You need to try harder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭blackcard

But it is not up to the referee to decide to give a penalty try for cynical play. It has to be for preventing a definite try

• Advertisement

Clancy has woke up since he gave the yellow card, pinging Ulster for things he was letting them away with for the previous 20 minutes!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Braindead from Reidy, ruined Scholes' excellent tackle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Won the yellow card 0-3, that's a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Clancy has woke up since he gave the yellow card, pinging Ulster for things he was letting them away with for the previous 20 minutes!
    That should please the Ulster supporters. They don't like refs going off script. ;)

Reidy needs a slap on the backside for that one, Scholes did so much and it was hardly red-zone stuff. Wally!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

corny wrote: »
    Genuine question because i'm not 100% but does the law not require the ref to be certain (not probable) a try would be scored?

The wording is probable, you can pretty much never be certain a try will be scored.

The drugs are wearing off, Ethel needs to make sure he takes his half-time cup of Ravenhill brand tea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

feet so quick he even fools himself

• Registered Users Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ulster giving away a lot of penalties now.

• Advertisement

Is that lineout expert Stuart Barnes telling us which arm to use at the lineout?

Advertisement