Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Match thread - Ulster v Leinster, RavenSpan, 15:00, Sky Sports 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭rsh118

Incredible game, can't believe the result. Was a shame to see Leinster looking so poor, but I don't think all of it was their fault, they were made to look poor by a game plan which went after all the things Cullen wouldn't want another team to go after.

As for Clancy, thought he was okay, could possibly have given a yellow for persistent fouling to Ulster.

As for the penalty try, I liked the interpretation, and feel that were it introduced game-wide would lead to many fewer cynical fouls in the 22. Kearney could have seen red, so yellow and a penalty try doesn't seem terrible compared to 60 with 14.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Maybe I'm rugby stupid but it was hard to identify what ulster did right and Leinster did wrong. Maybe an idea would be that ulster held onto possession until the opportunity arose while Leinster were willing to shove the possession to the other team. Kinda like what Connacht do

Exactly. It's not like they looked like Zebre, they just had all their buttons pressed and it just wasn't their day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

rsh118 wrote: »
    Incredible game, can't believe the result. Was a shame to see Leinster looking so poor, but I don't think all of it was their fault, they were made to look poor by a game plan which went after all the things Cullen wouldn't want another team to go after.

As for Clancy, thought he was okay, could possibly have given a yellow for persistent fouling to Ulster.

As for the penalty try, I liked the interpretation, and feel that were it introduced game-wide would lead to many fewer cynical fouls in the 22. Kearney could have seen red, so yellow and a penalty try doesn't seem terrible compared to 60 with 14.

Kearney could have seen red?! How?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Really enjoyed that game. Great result for Ulster.

PJ played a blinder again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 .mk

Back from Belfast, and despite the disappointing result, it's always good to get up to Ravenhill, this is my third year in a row heading up for the fixture, and always very enjoyable (despite just the one win). Had the extreme misfortune of ending up beside the four most obnoxious and ar**h*ley Leinster supportes I have ever seen. They spent the entire game hurling childish abuse at the Ulster fans and players. They were all in their late 40s/early 50s and it went far beyond 'banter' or even being good natured. The worst part was that there was an old couple, Leinster ST holders, in front of them who had to keep apologising to the Ulster fans, and at one point the woman was knocked over as one of the Leinster 'fans' leaned forward to goad an Ulster fan in front of her. Honestly, it made me start supporting Ulster by the second half. They cleared off fairly quickly towards the end though when the Ulster supporters started giving it back.They don't deserve to call themselves Leinster supporters.

rsh118 wrote: »

Kearney could have seen red?! How?

One yellow for preventing a try scoring chance, and one extra for either the cynicism of the act, the focus on running j to Pienaar or for utter stupidity. Tbh, I'd be annoyed if the penalty try had been given against us in the same situation, and would probably have booed/blamed the ref.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

.mk - there are dinguses like that supporting every team. It's scundering when those people are there wearing the same jersey as you, but the imperative thing is that decent spuds like ourselves outnumber the hate-filled tools.

Yep, there's some arses in every teams repertoire, and best of all many of the arses differ from Province to Province.

Chalk one up to bad luck, and continue being a good lad and you drown out the backsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Well I'm.obviously delighted with that today. Some very good performances from Ulster and it will be interesting.to see what Joe makes of it come June. I think there is a strong argument for Marshall at 13 and Payne at 15 in green now. Anyway that's a debate for another day.

A couple of quick points.

1) As an Ulsterman that was never a penalty try but it was a defintie yellow

2) Fitzgerald waa a bit unlucky to get a yellow in the sense that he probably couldn't see when Scholes got the ball, but that's the risk your run

3) Please please please can Ireland cap Scholss asap so we don't lose him to Scotland. I'm not saying he should be in the team now but let's not lose him to Scotland. He is the future IMO.

• Advertisement

bilston wrote: »
    Well I'm.obviously delighted with that today. Some very good performances from Ulster and it will be interesting.to see what Joe makes of it come June. I think there is a strong argument for Marshall at 13 and Payne at 15 in green now. Anyway that's a debate for another day.

A couple of quick points.

1) As an Ulsterman that was never a penalty try but it was a defintie yellow

it was a card and a penalty. wasnt a hope that pienar was going to reach the ball to touch it down. that said clancy is a shocking ref.

2) Fitzgerald waa a bit unlucky to get a yellow in the sense that he probably couldn't see when Scholes got the ball, but that's the risk your run

that was a definite card. he knew exactly what he was doing

3) Please please please can Ireland cap Scholss asap so we don't lose him to Scotland. I'm not saying he should be in the team now but let's not lose him to Scotland. He is the future IMO.

scholes is a talent but there is lots of talent in ireland. would he really want to play under joe's wham bang thank you mam philosophy. he would be wasted. so i wish him the best. an excellent player

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

So disappointing from Leinster, just got thrashed really. Well done Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Great day out at RavenSpan yesterday (is there any better rugby ground in Ireland for providing such a welcoming, family friendly atmosphere?) and obviously enjoyed the result. Coming back to read this thread of Leinster fans moaning at home was just the cherry on top ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ulster_Beef

Yesterday's atmosphere was good. Like back to the good old days. Something we are blessed with thankfully. It could come be a bit daunting I'm sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

MJohnston wrote: »
    Great day out at RavenSpan yesterday (is there any better rugby ground in Ireland for providing such a welcoming, family friendly atmosphere?)

There isnt. Ravenhill is a fine setup now and very well organised. It is a pleasure going there......defeats and all.

Certainly beats the bit of crumbling pre-war-Anglesea meets camping-chair-popup-stand meets marquee-tent that is the RDS jumble.
    Get yisser act together Leinster Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Saw the highlights on tg4 last night.

Didn't think either team played that well but we maybe took our chances better. Leinster look a bit devoid in attack. Teo seemed the only player capable of beating a defender.

Think the scoreline flattered us a fair bit. Leinster seemed to have more possession but again couldn't do anything with it.

The penalty try was a joke tbh....clancy is very poor. As someone else pointed out there was one stage where he called "play on" for a quick lineout then changed his mind and made them take the lineout back down the field!!

Don't think Glasgow would be quaking in their boots watching that yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I agree with Bil. never a penalty try though it's a pity a player can't get a red card for stupidity. I'm pretty certain McGrath would have beaten Pienaar to the ball. I think Fitz's card was also the correct decision. If anything, Scholes had more chance of scoring than Pienaar.

I also agree with Bil about getting Scholes capped. We've already lost one good winger to Scotland. We don't need deja vu all over again...:D Scholes is a high quality talent and with real pace and he is still getting better. Why the feck couldn't Ulster just point out to him the precarious position of both Bowe and Trimble re. their injury profiles and age and give him a big rise. He is a proper wing / fullback who is clocked at 10m/sec.

It was weird watching the TG4 highlights programme. Very poor selection of replays etc but I forgot to record live Sky showing.

Unless Leinster get switched on p.d.q. I can only see Glasgow winning the League. I think a 'firing on all cylinders' Leinster will win it but if they fall off the pace even a little, Glasgow will pounce.

Some of the players yesterday looked like shadows of the ones who normally rock up at Ravenhill.

McGrath is usually a powerhouse in the loose - wasn't particularly visible. Heaslip just didn't click in to gear at all. Ditto Sexton. Ringrose ran some good lines but was quickly shut down and looked a bit out of his depth in the heat of battle. T'eo will be missed next season. He is a class player. Nacewa looked as if he was running in quicksand and the 2K's were less than inspiring. Next week will be a stroll in the park. I'd imagine Leo should play his semi-final side to get a good training spin under their belt.

For rugby's sake it was nice too to see the big brutish forwards-oriented teams like Leinster can't just control a game totally through their hefty pack.

The match was a win for artistry in the backline (and some forwards) over grunty, attritional 9-man rugby.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Saw the highlights on tg4 last night.

Didn't think either team played that well but we maybe took our chances better. Leinster look a bit devoid in attack. Teo seemed the only player capable of beating a defender.

Think the scoreline flattered us a fair bit. Leinster seemed to have more possession but again couldn't do anything with it.

The penalty try was a joke tbh....clancy is very poor. As someone else pointed out there was one stage where he called "play on" for a quick lineout then changed his mind and made them take the lineout back down the field!!

Don't think Glasgow would be quaking in their boots watching that yesterday.

No idea what highlights TG4 showed Ulster played some great rugby yesterday! That was easily our best league performance of the season and up there with the Toulouse games.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

bilston wrote: »
    No idea what highlights TG4 showed Ulster played some great rugby yesterday! That was easily our best league performance of the season and up there with the Toulouse games.

Seemed to only show Leinster with most of the possession and us defending like mad. Still think we are not firing on all cylinders yet but if we keep winning then maybe we can improve a bit more. Pienaar playing well seems to set the tone for the rest of the team.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Ulster were OK rather than great for me. The cards, and Leinster shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly (boots absolutely full of holes by the end) led to the comfortable victory rather than a destroying through super play.
    Which is not to take anything from Ulster. Rather, its that I still think they are well capable of playing even better than yesterday.
    Jackson spanking Jonny's ass, and similar for Paybe-the-15 versus Rob will have Joe doing some serious thinking. Reputations only pay out for so long....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Ulster were OK rather than great for me. The cards, and Leinster shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly (boots absolutely full of holes by the end) led to the comfortable victory rather than a destroying through super play.
    Which is not to take anything from Ulster. Rather, its that I still think they are well capable of playing even better than yesterday.
    Jackson spanking Jonny's ass, and similar for Paybe-the-15 versus Rob will have Joe doing some serious thinking. Reputations only pay out for so long....

Payne is one of the top 5 players in the country, how some people ever doubted his ability I'll never know. Some media commentators were so disrespectful to him. He is a better 15 than 13, of course he is. World Class 15? Yea for me. He is a great 13 too. Ireland have other options coming through now at 13 that should see Payne going to 15 from here on for Ireland. Rob Kearney shouldn't be in team ahead of him and I have said this for a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

mfceiling wrote: »
    Seemed to only show Leinster with most of the possession and us defending like mad. Still think we are not firing on all cylinders yet but if we keep winning then maybe we can improve a bit more. Pienaar playing well seems to set the tone for the rest of the team.

The big differences for Ulster were:
    1) Pienaar looking like his old self.
    2) Defence - a few games in Feb/March, the Ulster defence was absolutely shambolic, in terms of structure and tackling. Yesterday, they were waiting for Leinster every time and nailed them every time.

Oh my god can't emphasise enough the improvement in defence. February Ulster would have leaked tries like rusty collander. Huge improvement to this point. Some of the tackles out wide were absolutely spectacular, particularly obviously Paddy on Ian, and a massive change from earlier this year.

jacothelad wrote: »
    Scholes is a high quality talent and with real pace and he is still getting better. Why the feck couldn't Ulster just point out to him the precarious position of both Bowe and Trimble re. their injury profiles and age and give him a big rise. He is a proper wing / fullback who is clocked at 10m/sec..
    Now that is a very valid question. How could ulster let him go? Huge talent simply given away

jacothelad wrote: »
    Scholes is a high quality talent and with real pace and he is still getting better. Why the feck couldn't Ulster just point out to him the precarious position of both Bowe and Trimble re. their injury profiles and age and give him a big rise. He is a proper wing / fullback who is clocked at 10m/sec..
    Now that is a very valid question. How could ulster let him go? Huge talent simply given away

The worry for me is that he is lost to Irish rugby for good.

There are only 4 provinces. Its not hard to keep track of talent in Ireland. Ulster are hugely responsible for letting such a talent go. And Joe is hugely responsible for not using such talent over a staid gameplan

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

People have been saying he deserved to be included in the extended Irish squad for quite a while now, well before he would have negotiated a contract with Edinburgh.

Letting him go was an enormous slip up on the part of the IRFU and Ulster, they should have thrown the kitchen sink at him to stay, Ireland aren't exactly overrun with quality wingers.

Does he qualify for Scotland through any ancestry? I think he only signed a 2 year deal so if he doesn't there might be some hope of getting him back in 2 years but otherwise the Scots will almost certainly cap him ASAP.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure Ireland have Dave Kearney, there's nothing to worry about. :pac:

• Advertisement

I've watched the match back a couple of times now and what I think hampered Leinster a lot was the head on Nacewa, he lost his cool after the penalty try and seemed a bit headless for a long time after that.

Think we've all felt that though, when you feel like everything is going against you and nothing is fair.

Advertisement