Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Another: Searching for a forum no longer provides a dropdown. I searched for "Feedback", and it only brought up search results without offering a link to the forum. (It actually looked like there was a link on the right side of the screen, but it just refined the results to that forum.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Faith wrote: »
    There used to be an option in your User CP.

omg! I love you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Can't edit any posts using the beta site. The button does nothing.

Also, I don't know if you meant to have the "Add your reply here" line be normal text, but surely it makes more sense for it to disappear when you click on the text box? The way it is right now is annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Breadcrumbs on mobile are going off screen when long and clicking them isn't working.

Clicking threads is bringing to first post rather than first new post. That's also happening when on full site on mobile

Also, site is jumping between new beta and old full site on mobile. Very annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There's an entire forum whose sole purpose was providing feedback on the new site (admittedly one that had the majority of its threads deleted on what appeared to be a whim, and was then abandoned for 6 months by the site). Why is all feedback now being shoe-horned into one thread?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The clock is not right. It shows posts in BST instead of CET+1 as defined in my user CP.

I have a stupid avatar hovering about and getting in the way do no reason.

The page numbers are on top of one another and unusable.

There is massive screen wastage. When I open a forum 75% of the screen is taken up with padding. Only a tiny part of the screen contains usable data.

Clicking on the announcement brings me to an error/access denied file which is skinned in the old, old (and best) desktop theme.

I can't see new posts in threads.

There are as yet no positive changes that I can see.

Above is what I see. I lied about the 75%. It's actually 100% of the screen wasted.

Wow, it's even worse on the tablet. The my forums button just shows ALL forums and even the boards logo is a distorted mess. Thankfully on this device the legacy site link is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Sorry lads for the critism, but am having a number of difficulties with this new layout . On my Tab3 with the latest OS, the boards logo seems very squashed and over lapping the blue banner, the welcome back 'user name' and background is way right of centre, with left of centre all white space. Not all the tabs appear to be working, or dont bring me to where I expect. Oh, and far too many ads, not seen ads in years, and loads and loads of white space.

When I click on my forums, this version only seems to show half the number of post on the page, with no way that I can see of going on the next page. Option does appear to exist on the touch site on my windows phone, using W10 and MS Edge, but the tab to do so is obscured by a text box, and the breadcrumb trail, to bring me back to the forum if in a thread does not appear active.

Whilst trying to get used to the new version, I did unfortunately, have to go back to the legacy version, just to be able to find this forum.

:(

On positive, the touch version on my phone, does appear alot neater, compared to my Tab3, but some of the issues still exsist.

• Advertisement

Can't go back to the forum from the top of the thread.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Does anyone like the new layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I'm looking at the new layout on a 27" monitor at 1920 x 1080. There is a lot of wasted real-estate. The presentation smacks of twitter, which in itself wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing ... if I were using twitter .... boards.ie is not twitter, so please stop trying to ape twitter. If I want to digest bite-sized chunks of 128 characters or less, I'll use twitter. If I want to discuss something, I'll use a discussion forum that doesn't waste somewhere upwards of 50% of the screen.

Menu navigation

As impressive as the menu looks when expanded, it takes up nearly the entirety of the screen when expanded; with the result being that in order to navigate, I'm going from top middle of screen with mouse movement, back to far left and then back onto the respective menus. There's more mouse movement needed just to navigate than playing an FPS computer game. For anyone reading; that is not a compliment.

Front page

If you have to scroll down just to start looking for new content, you need to reassess your landing-page design.
    edit: tried to add a picture but apparently I don't have permissions to attach ..

Front page Thread navigation

What was the design "thinking" behind this? If I look at a thread listing, I cannot just go to the latest post; I have go to to the very start of the thread, then jump to the end, unlike with the old system that allowed you to go straight to the latest post.

On the forum listings themselves, it's not particularly intuitive that you can click on the last post time stamp information. The old layout was intuitive in that regard.

Colour

Do you have a former member of geocities working for you doing colour palette selection? Someone who loved black backgrounds with flames and brilliant white writing and wants their revenge on the internet for sacking off geocities? Either that or someone who has a fascination with snow blindness. Because jebus is the colour palette white. Oh so very white.

Can we have the cloud skin back please whilst you're at it?

TL;DR: new design sucks monkeys. Besides going blind from the whiteness, navigation was given about as much thought as something that wasn't given a great deal of thought because "it wouldn't look awesome" or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Maybe I'm going mad here, but when I'm on the boards.ie home page looking at latest threads, there doesn't appear to be an option to go to the latest post? It appears when I'm in a forum, but not from the home page.

That was happening to me earlier today, when I was on my Kindle Fire. It went away after a couple of hours, but boards was virtually un-usable for that duration, (on the Kindle,) as you were stuck on the first page of all threads. There were 3 icons in the upper right of the screen but when you clicked on them, nothing happened.

Also, a couple of weeks ago, everything on boards got incredibly small, when I was on my phone, a Samsung Galaxy Fame running on Android. I have to swipe the phone screen several times, to maximize the size of the home pages of various forums, just to be able to read thread titles. Then when I open up a thread to read, the posts are tiny as well and I have to swipe the phone screen to make them bigger too. When actually reading posts, they don't "fit" the page anymore, I have to scroll left and right to read a post that is more than a few words long. It is incredibly annoying and I have just given up using boards on my phone. Is this related to the new forum layout?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The option to delete a post has been removed from the edit function?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Dav wrote: »
    Do you recall what page you were on when you clicked the link? If you can check the URL and see if it points at boards.ie/vbulletin/... or boards.ie/b/... that'd be a help.

Sorry, Dav, only saw this now. Can't remember what page it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

The opening of threads on mobile and not going to first new post is making it pretty unusable for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Only top 10 followed threads or threads in my forums showing - no option to go to next page as in legacy site - unless it's staring me in the face and I can't see it.

Also when I click on the announcement I'm not authorised to view the thread - works fine on the legacy site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

My Forums menu is very cramped and doesn't show a * to indicate new posts in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Are you going to keep the legacy site as well? To me it looks tidier, this is what I call a character type website, fonts are easier on eye and browser, my Opera Mini 4.5 handles it very well.
    The new one is a fancy, image type site (I don't know why but everyone is heading this direction), doesn't look good on the Mini browser (some links missing or unclickable and won't let me go back to the legacy site). I have a feeling looking at layers of images only.
    It's hard to explain it: I like books full of letter, numbers, there's lot to read, "dislike tabloids" where heap of pictures but very little to read.

(Yes, I know, I'm old school, running a java based browser on my symbian phone and preferring paper based newspapers.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's a million times better than the previous beta, so well done on that end, progress has certainly been made. More work is needed though, & there are several key areas that have significant issues:

1) There's extremely poor delineation between posts. The contrast is simply way too low, & unless it's the current screen I'm using, I find a page of posts almost looks like one big page of text.

2) Quotes - again, very poor differentiation between a new post, & quoted text. For the most part, it looks as it the person quoting text is writing the quoted part too. It's making the reading of threads a real chore. Putting several lines of blank space between the quoted section, & new text, is not enough to ensure separation of content.

2a) Quotes - because there's so much wasted space over to the right, quoted text tends to take up a huge amount of vertical screenspace (if it's a long enough quote). So not only do I read the original post & scroll through it, I then have to scroll through it all over again. If the screen space were available to the right, the quoted text wouldn't have to take up so much vertical space. Here's an example of it, this is a new post I'm reading, where an enormous chunk of the available screenspace is taken up by quoted text

quote.png

3) Wasted space - there's a sinful amount of it. On most forums, I see no actual thread content unless I scroll down. In terms of responsiveness, unless my understanding of the concept is flawed, the site doesn't appear to be 'responding' to my particular screen. Here's an example, upon entering a forum, nothing of any use unless I scroll down

homepage.jpg

4) My Forums - this list looks very, very messy as it is. There's no alignment of forum titles, & it looks like everything was just pasted in without any structure. They need to appear more ordered.

4a) My Forums - for this function to be of any use, it absolutely must include something to indicate new content in those forums. Without this, it's functionality has been greatly curtailed.

5) The Menu Bar - This is taking shape very well, but still needs work, namely with regard to functionality. Society & Culture for example requires you expand the category with the mouse, & then you have to scroll to be able to see all the forums in it. Again, it doesn't seem 'responsive' to my setup. The current menu is the same as that, you have to scroll to you all the forums in that category, but if I recall the menu system before that never had this problem.

menu.jpg

6) The Talk-To Menu - It's only displaying four companies per line. On my screen, it looks like there could easily be six or seven displayed...which would mean less scrolling.

talk_to.jpg

7) Subforums - To me, simply naming the name of a subforum on the screen does not intuitively suggest that that's a whole other forum. Some subforums can have strange names that don't suggest that they're an actual forum. The beta does a pretty poor job of conveying the notion that users can actually click into these things to see totally different forums. There needs to be a preview or something of the content inside them, like the current site offers. Hell, so many people use the terms forum, thread, and post interchangeably, suggesting they don't strictly know what a forum relates to on Boards, so just saying "Subforums: X, Y, Z" actually decreases the likelihood of users finding and using subforums. For example

subforums.jpg

^^ The wasted space here is a site to behold too.

Just some of my observations so far, but again to reiterate, the Beta is definitely moving forward, & it's clear a lot of hard & positive work has gone into it to get it where it is from where it was.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I'm going to try use the beta site for a whole day and keep track of what I think

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

The search menu is to small here on beta.

Using iPad Air 2

I'm getting loads of "Too many redirects" errors on Safari-OSX. I've noticed it on the AH root page, but it may be on others as well.

Have to clear cache to get the page to load (even after switching back to Legacy).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Wow, it's even worse on the tablet. The my forums button just shows ALL forums and even the boards logo is a distorted mess. Thankfully on this device the legacy site link is there.
    Yeah, this is very annoying. Clicking my forums, should bring you to a list of posts in your sub'd forums. It linking to a list of all the forums on the site make little sense.

Oh and the smileys need an update, they look like something from MSN chat days:ninja::wassat:

Dupe threads. I'm guessing it's because there was a merge (I think I saw two threads about this story earlier on).

http://imgur.com/pt3xbw2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

Gordon wrote: »
    Dav wrote: »
    OK folks, thanks for your patience.

So I've got a link to a Google Spreadsheet with our current bugs and features tracking. I will be adding to that today based on what's been posted in the other thread, so if you've mentioned something and you don't see it there, then check it again later when I've updated it (should be this afternoon).
    Add your reply here.The 'Add your reply here' text may get annoying for people, and they may not remember to delete 'Add your reply here.' from the text input box.
    (when quoting)
    Add your reply here.

Or shouldn't have to.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,466 ✭✭✭✭28064212

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=%22Add+your+reply+here%22

Ridiculous. Pages of people with "Add your reply here" in their posts, a bug that was reported 9 months ago: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96264261. Of course, it disappeared into the ether along with all the rest of the reported bugs, most of which hasn't been fixed. And still no response on whether they should be reposted, or why the forum created specifically for reporting bugs on the new site shouldn't be used any more

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Just turned on beta, and the first thing driving me mad is the header responsiveness. I keep hovering over that stupid "TALK TO..." link and my whole screen gets spammed with companies to talk to. I can only get rid of this by moving back up to the header and quickly jump back down to the content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Threads in each forum take up to much real-estate. I can see 6 threads when I visit a forum on my screen now, from top to bottom. Previously I could see 14. Thats a whole lot more scrolling, and when im browsing a forum, or the homepage looking for something curious I dont want to be scrolling, because when im scrolling, im not reading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement