Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

While I can attach files, I need to submit my post to upload them.
    [ol]
    [li]This can make submitting your post take a long time[/li]
    [li]I'll lose my content if the uploads fail, as opposed to them failing during a separate upload[/li]
    [li]I cant reference my image until after I submit my post, meaning I need to submit, and then edit my post to include image tags.[/li]
    [/ol]

While I can attach files, I need to submit my post to upload them.
    [ol]
    [li]This can make submitting your post take a long time[/li]
    [li]I'll lose my content if the uploads fail, as opposed to them failing during a separate upload[/li]
    [li]I cant reference my image until after I submit my post, meaning I need to submit, and then edit my post to include image tags.[/li]
    [/ol]
    ^^^ This is a numeric list, and only number 1 is being displayed.

Follow/Unfollow doesn't toggle for threads. Threads which I am currently following only have a "Follow" button.

Pagination doesn't function correctly. There is no "back 1 page" button, and a "forward 1 page" button is incorrectly displayed when im on the last page of a thread.

383988.png

^^^ That image is needlessly massive!

(side note, ive found all these defects without even leaving this thread)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

^^^ This is a numeric list, and only number 1 is being displayed.

The [ol] and [li] tags themselves are what's displayed in the legacy site. I wasn't going to report this issue but Dav has said the Legacy site will remain an option for now, so...

I somehow did this:

Editing a post doesn't allow me to attach more images

I can't clear a Reply box.

Eg. I hit the quote button on anothernight's post, so I could see the non-parsed text. This auto-populated my reply window. Fair enough. But then I wanted to write an actual message and I had to manually delete the reply textbox content.

ok. I'm going back to work now. The irony that I took time from my ob as a QA to QA boards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Myrddin wrote: »

subforums.jpg

^^ The wasted space here is a site to behold too.

It's Advertisement Real Estate. You must have'em off.

I'd be curious if they've surveyed the amount of people using widescreen resolutions with relatively low heights typical on Laptops. There are websites I've lost interest in using because of a design similar to what you've shown above. You go to a website to be presented with information. Regardless of what it is, News, Discussion, Video, Music, shopping. You don't want to go to a website and be presented with nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Earlier I could not go to the last page on long threads using Legacy Boards.

Now when at last page, I cannot go to previous page. It reverts to 1st page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's Advertisement Real Estate. You must have'em off.

I actually don't, but I think this is something that will be looked at.
    I'd be curious if they've surveyed the amount of people using widescreen resolutions with relatively low heights typical on Laptops. There are websites I've lost interest in using because of a design similar to what you've shown above. You go to a website to be presented with information. Regardless of what it is, News, Discussion, Video, Music, shopping. You don't want to go to a website and be presented with nothing.

Indeed, the screen I use is my widescreen tv...& it really, really, accentuates the display problems with the beta. I'm not a developer or anything remotely like it, but I had hoped the site being a responsive one would mean it'd respond accordingly to my display setup

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It looks like some of the functionality issues have been addressed over the past day or so, so that now the default behaviour when clicking a thread title is to go to first unread and, fwics, this now works for threads you haven't previously visited before while using beta. Previously, it worked (sometimes) but only when you had visited the thread in beta...

But, that doesn't work from the homepage. If, like me, you browse the site from the homepage - mine has been set to default to the "My Forums" tab for as long as I remember - working through threads with unread messages by hitting go to first unread; this cannot be done in beta. You have to open the forum and then click the thread to go to first unread.

You can now jump directly to the last post, but again, only from forum view and not the homepage.

Other minor bugs and functionality issues are also being resolved.

However.

It is disappointing that despite there having been quite an open admission that someone should have been updating us in relation to the status of the issues we were encountering, there hasn't been a single update letting us know, "X, Y and Z issues are resolved, we are now moving on to providing you with a "Most Thanked" tab on the homepage."

I left a subtle hint about what my next main issue is going to be...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,685 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Working on site site of a MNC based in Ireland, but with a network connection that somehow makes boards (and google) think that I'm in Germany. Go figure. But I guess because of this I got forced onto the new version. Earlier on today, the Use Legacy button wasn't working - it took me to a Page Not Found screen. At the same time, post Like stopped happening.

Now without clicking it, I've been taken back to using Legacy (for which I thank the great being in the bit-bucket in the sky).

Another gripe: if I'm reading a thread, I cannot see any one-click way to get to My Forums.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Myrddin wrote: »
    I actually don't, but I think this is something that will be looked at.

Unless it's Adblock Plus doing it?

I'll stick with the legacy site for as long as it allows, the new version is very user un-friendly in it's current state (on desktop at least). Way too much wasted space vertically meaning you'll be doing a lot more scrolling. There's no dark theme either?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Gordon wrote: »
    Add your reply here.The 'Add your reply here' text may get annoying for people, and they may not remember to delete 'Add your reply here.' from the text input box.
    (when quoting)

Lol, I was wondering what the hell that was about. I've seen some posters who always leave it in and I actually thought it was some odd signature they had. Now I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Lol, I was wondering what the hell that was about. I've seen some posters who always leave it in and I actually thought it was some odd signature they had. Now I know.

Lol yes I've been seeing it now and again past few months and it only really made sense when made use the new site yesterday.

Guess they think that people won't be able to figure out by themselves that that's where they've to add their reply, and that it's so very helpful to have that prompt thrte that people won't mind the hassle of deleting it every single time :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I assume that'll be fixed. In Java it's simply a listener with set text to " " on click if I remember right, which I'm sure I don't :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭whatismyname

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I assume that'll be fixed. In Java it's simply a listener with set text to " " if I remember right, which I'm sure I don't :p

I hope so :) I guess if someone's a bit dumb it could be helpful but even then, you'll get the hang of it quickly enough, so then to have to keep deleting that in every post could get quite annoying :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Posted this in another thread but it wasn't picked up

I remember when the large menu change happened last year that the workaround was the search function would lead you to the sub forum(eg type in after hours into the search and the sub forum was at the top of the search results) and this worked fine

However this no longer works with latest update, am I missing something? It's impossible to find sub forums now

Just to add when I clicked "back to legacy site" all is fine again so maybe this should be in feedback for upgrade site

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

I'm not sure if this has been reported already (finding navigation a little difficult as you'll see!) but using the new site on my phone (Lumia 920 Internet explorer), the page number box at the top of a multipage thread is misaligned and is blocking the arrow to move to the next page. I have a screenshot if needed.

Trying to use the page number input to move to the next page brings up a number-only keyboard on my browser, which is handy, except there's no enter button to confirm the input and move to page 2.

Lastly, I'm not sure if its deliberate or not but these options for page navigation are only appearing at the top of threads for me with no option at the end of a page.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Sometimes the menu button isn't working for me on Edge on a mobile device. Button appears but is unresponsive.

Also on Edge on mobile device, when bringing up the menu, the final item on the list (for example, my forums) is inaccessible if the list is longer than the screen size (page doesn't scroll down far enough). This is worse when browsing a particular thread as the thread navigation menu floats higher than the menu effectively blocking the final two items on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

If you try to erase the message in a pm, your reply is erased and only the original message is sent.

Awful oversight. Just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Few issues for me.
    [ul][li]The grey background is a bit too dark imo. Distracts from the thread content.[/li][li]Finding followed threads/forums is a chore, the usercp.php page was much easier to consume in the old version[/li][li]The homepage links to "My Followed Forums" and "My Followed Threads" should have clearer active indicators.[/li][li]EDIT it seems the editor didnt find my extra bullet points[/li][/ul]

Other than that, a much needed and overdue update. Nice work!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tried to use the mobile beta today given that it's been forced on me with no option for legacy switch-over (thanks again for telling us overseas folks that we are considered somewhere below "who the f*ck cares" boards.ie), and another bug is that not all of my subbed forums are displayed; meaning I have to then go trawling through the rainbow expanding menu ...

... which by the way hides so much stuff that you'll simply have new folk give up.

Oh, and the search feature still doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Is there any way to open a thread and view the most recent post? It seems you have to open the thread at post 1 and then select the last page to get to the most recent post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

It looks like you all put a great deal of work into the new setup - thank you!

I like the cool new smilies! And hovering over thanks is a nice feature. I wish the buttons identified themselves - thanks, edit, quote, etc.

The sites layout is clean and sharp. Very nice. But does the added space makes conversations feel disconnected from one another? I am sure we will learn to like the new layout - we are just used to a more intimate way of posting.

I REALLY like the new main menu with clickable topic boxes - tis very clear and easy to find what you are interested in. For this reason, I will surely post in a larger variety of forums than before. :)

There is no delete post button in the new edit feature. I am not fond of this, and will be MUCH more careful what I post in the future! :o

I understand the reasoning behind reducing profile features; but, given today's social media and the community in which boards was founded, the reduction seems counterproductive. Personally, I (and my boardsie buds) shall miss the friending and Visitor Message features. Re-developing our profile pages (in the future) seems crucial for people to feel connected with the site, especially long-term. My empty profile page lacks the warmth I've grown to love about the familiality of the site and homeland. These friend connections are what makes boards so special... atleast for me. Our now (somewhat :( barren) profiles do not seem to embrace the original community feel the old boards proudly established.... nor the new move towards social media (and it's accompanying benefits).

Overall, I think the new digs are beautiful with :D fun features to explore. But personally, it feels a bit more :o distant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Just turned it on, so I'll give my tuppence on what I see.

Contrast still isn't right. I have the legacy site, standard skin, open on a second monitor, and it's just easier on the eye I think. Not as bad as it was, probably just needs some tweaking.

I'm on a desktop here, and I don't get why so much content is being hidden away.

"1 person has thanked this post" - please show me who, without me having to hover over it. There's plenty of space, use it.

Avatars are way too small, so much so that they're redundant if left that way.

Join date has disappeared.

User online/offline status has disappeared.

Unless I can see it, multiquote has disappeared.

Biggest problem, by far, is that despite the talk, this site isn't responsive. There's more space left and right of the post than there is in the post itself, on a 1080p monitor. Why has 300px of text width been removed from the legacy site? The harshness of the greyish reddish background doesn't help that, but there's so much wasted space. Fill out the screen.

I think we also need much more bordering around site elements, mainly posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How do you copy a link to an individual post?

Search this thread/Search this forum - have they gone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Join date has disappeared.

It doesn't matter how long someone has been a member, or how many psts they have.

Except it does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement