Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The Before and After are the two extremes, a healthy medium would be good.

It is all about engaging the visitor (as well as retaining the user-base, of course).

Screen real-estate, and effective use of same, is crucial/critical here.

Think about it - as a visitor, you land on a page that looks 'bad'. Will you stay or will you go click back? One chance, or no chance.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The Before and After are the two extremes, a healthy medium would be good.
    I disagree, in fact I think the After version doesn't go far enough. I want to look at content, not vast acres of empty space.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Alun wrote: »
    I disagree, in fact I think the After version doesn't go far enough. I want to look at content, not vast acres of empty space.

Agreed. Why does the forum heading need to be so big? If we've got to have a colour, a thin stripe will be enough. Personnally, I don't see the need. We've got the navbar strip as it is which gives all the info.

Also, if the search field defaults to boards.ie (which seems to be the case) then it should be in the boards.ie header. This "misplacement" is something I've noticed in several other sites - what style guidelines are directing new designers to put it in anywhere other than beside the site name/logo it refers to?

Similarly, the logic regarding the positioning of the started by/last post by info is wrong. If it's important to indicate who started the thread, that info should be bundled with the thread title, not put as far away from it as the css allows :confused:

And again, from a stylistic point of view, the important info regarding the last post is not that it is the last post, but the date and time, so these parameters should be in bold, not practically invisible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Some people's avatars are banjaxed for me. Wasn't sure how to describe it so here's a screenshot:

NzobVIy.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Can't unfollow threads...

• Advertisement

Pound sterling sign isn't showing in my posts after I submit them. May be the same for other characters.

Yep, dollar sign appears but nothing for euro or pounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Not liking the new look at all, if I'm being honest. Looks like a mobile version of a site when using a tablet and it has been stretched to desktop resolution. Too much blank space and a rather plan and simple colour scheme that makes it all appear to melt into one. Will the old look remain as a feature the user can select, or eventually will the new look be forced on everyone?

I notice that tables do not appear correctly on threads that have them, like mine in the Satellite forum. Not sure if that has been brought to your attention or not. Also, finding sticky threads is quite cumbersome compared to how it used to be and unless you go looking for instructions on where to find them, you'd be lost and would probably never see them. Is there no way of putting them back on the list with the other threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Using a tablet her - people I have on ignore are no longer hidden, indeed they are visible. Far, far too visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Are titles going away? I used them in my reading log for titles and authors! :(

Also, I can't edit posts, it looks like it's edited but when I click save nothing happens.

Teferi wrote: »
    Using a tablet her - people I have on ignore are no longer hidden, indeed they are visible. Far, far too visible.
    Any update on this? I reported it over the weekend when I noticed it(on desktop). It's pretty annoying because I don't trust myself not to respond to them. :P

• Advertisement

When you quote a post now it also quotes any posts that were quoted in said post. Seems a bit wasteful on screen space when you only really need to quote the part the person actually wrote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I'm just cleaning out our internal bugs list so I can post it here for everyone to see the progress. Ignore lists are something I've just seen tested on the developer's machine and it looks like they're back in action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Dav wrote: »
    I'm just cleaning out our internal bugs list so I can post it here for everyone to see the progress. Ignore lists are something I've just seen tested on the developer's machine and it looks like they're back in action.

The most important feature is to be able to view the thread from the last unread post, at the moment there is now way to get to it. You a sent to page 1 if the thread.

The most important feature is to be able to view the thread from the last unread post, at the moment there is now way to get to it. You a sent to page 1 if the thread.

That's not how it's behaving for me - is this on a forum page or on the home page? I just tested again, opened a thread I hadn't seen before, clicked into the middle of it (page 3 of 100) and then went back to the forum page. When I clicked again, I was brought to page 4 of 100 (the next newest posts since my last visit). From there, I went to the last page of the thread and then repeated going to the Forum and into the thread again and I was brought to the last post on the thread, so that's behaving the way we want it to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

That's not how it's behaving for me - is this on a forum page or on the home page? I just tested again, opened a thread I hadn't seen before, clicked into the middle of it (page 3 of 100) and then went back to the forum page. When I clicked again, I was brought to page 4 of 100 (the next newest posts since my last visit). From there, I went to the last page of the thread and then repeated going to the Forum and into the thread again and I was brought to the last post on the thread, so that's behaving the way we want it to.

It's on MyThreads. I just checked there, and it brings me the the first post in the thread. I can't seem to get to the first unread post.
    Maybe I'm missing something obvious

ok, thanks for that, I'll test it out now and see if I can replicate it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

there's been a glitch with that go to last post thing on mobile for a few years. Boards 'forgets' your last post after about a week and brings you to the first post in the thread. The full site (old skin) never forgets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I despise that bug pickarooney. Drives me bloody nuts.

Dav, I'm a subscriber. You really need to do something about the front page. I pay not to have to put up with adverts and yet not only is real estate so badly arranged that only a single post appears on the front page, that post is an sponsored advert from laya not a real post. And even wehn I scroll to the next post, that is an announcement from boards. Can these please be put back on the right hand side and actually make some use of the real estate.

Inside threads the wasted real estate is really awful, the site needs to respond and widen appropriately when on a larger screen

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I tried to open one of my posts and I got this again.

Boards.ie
    Internal Server Error

500 Internal Server Error
    Boards.ie - Adverts.ie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    I tried to open one of my posts and I got this again.

Boards.ie
    Internal Server Error

500 Internal Server Error
    Boards.ie - Adverts.ie

This keeps happening for one specific post - I'm still using the 'legacy' version of Boards, I go to 'Find all my posts', I click on a specific post and the url changes as if it was trying to open it in the 'responsive' site - I can see there's a /b/ instead of the usual /vbulletin/, but I get that error message.

The only thing that's different from the other posts is that this one has a post title, most of the others don't.

• Advertisement

OK, that's a strange one, can you give me the PostID?

I have an update coming for you in the next hour or so folks - I'm going to share our updated bugs/features list and some further updates with you.

So, the new bugs/features list is available to see here.
    Please don't ask for permission to edit it like a few of you did the last time, we'll be managing it.

There are some issues I want to get further information on from some of you and I'll be following up with that shortly.

I just want to take a minute to explain our plan of action. Based on our progress through this list above, we're planning on getting through all that and pushing the button to completely switch everyone over to the new site. in 2 weeks. Again, the Legacy site will be available to anyone who doesn't want to make the switch straight away and we're going to have that available until at least the end of the year whilst we continue to build the remaining features like moderation tools, the various back end administration tools and so on.

Meanwhile, over the next 2 weeks, the team will continue to work on the issues listed above. Further bugs etc will be added to that list of course. I'm off on a much needed week off next week, so when I come back I'll go through this thread, update the list and will hope to publish the updated list with our progress to day 2 weeks from today.

OK, so I'll be following up with people now on some of the stuff we've mentioned in the document as "Clarify with Bug Reporter."

We're getting there folks, thanks for all the help so far! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Please don't ask for permission to edit it like a few of you did the last time, we'll be managing it.

I can view it on my desktop but when clicking the link on mobile, it automatically brings you to a page asking you to request access. I didn't request access then but that could be the source of the requests.

This "sort by Thanks" issue that so many of you have reported.

Now we know there's the "Thanks" tab on the home page but that's a separate issue (one that's being worked on). No one in this office has ever wanted to browse anything based on the number of Thanks it has, so we have no real idea what it is you want :) The current site can show you all posts that you've thanked as well as all posts of yours that have been thanked by others. However, it doesn't present this in any meaningful way except by date. What is it you're trying to see when you're doing this and maybe we can simply build a better method with your help.

There's also a huge amount of confusion about read/unread posts, so I'm going to explain how it's been written to function.
    • A thread you've never read before will appear as bold on the forum page.
    • If you click into that thread, click back out to the forum, it should no longer be bold.
    • If that thread gets new posts when you look at the forum at a later date, it will be bold again. Clicking on the thread will bring you to your last unread post
    Simple enough. It becomes a little more complicated when we have multiple pages in a thread.
    • If a thread has multiple pages and you're reading it for the first time, it will be bold as above. However, if you don't read to the end of the thread, it will remain as "Bold/Unread" (eg you only read 3 out of 5 pages, it is considered unread).
    • If you have only read 3 out of 5 pages, you will be brought to page 4 on your next visit to the thread because that'll be your next unread post.
    • If you've read to the end of the thread, it will no longer be bold when you go back to the forum until it has new posts again.
    I hope that helps make things clearer.

I have an update coming for you in the next hour or so folks - I'm going to share our updated bugs/features list and some further updates with you.

Thanks Dav - PM sent. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

On touch..mythreads clicking last post in this thread consistently brings me to first post i.e. here:

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2055492730#post99551348

Not your ornery onager

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,710 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

This "sort by Thanks" issue that so many of you have reported.

Now we know there's the "Thanks" tab on the home page but that's a separate issue (one that's being worked on). No one in this office has ever wanted to browse anything based on the number of Thanks it has, so we have no real idea what it is you want :) The current site can show you all posts that you've thanked as well as all posts of yours that have been thanked by others. However, it doesn't present this in any meaningful way except by date. What is it you're trying to see when you're doing this and maybe we can simply build a better method with your help.

Browsing the site by most thanked posts is a great way of reading the site. I think I showed in the video in the mods forum (if anyone has the patience to watch someone's browsing habits!) that when I'm done reading the my forums tab, I'll switch to the thanks tab and have a read of the most thanked posts.

But, sometimes when the boredom really takes me and I want to quickly look at the best bits of a long thread, I can search that thread for "*" and sort the results by most thanked. (This also comes in handy in relation to controversial issues to see what side has more support generally etc.)

You can also do this with the "search this forum" results to see what the best posts over time have been (at least since the introduction of thanks.)

You can also do this if you want to see the best of for an individual user.

Basically, it's a really handy way to see highlights across the site.

The other thing is that if you're having a particularly slow day and the 3 pages of "most thanked" posts from the main page aren't enough, you can search the site, limit the dates to a 24-hour period and keep going through the posts with the most thanks for the day.

If it wasn't for the ability to do this, I don't think I'd have kept coming back here while I wasn't a mod tbh.

When you go to someone's profile and look at their posts it displays them in some weird seemingly random order, then when I click on day/week/month to try and get them in some order it says 'No results found for: "posts started by X" '

New Home wrote: »
    Thanks Dav - PM sent. :)

Dav/Whoever might be looking at this while Dav is away - just to let you know, I just posted another post adding a title to it, but this time if I go back to it through 'Find all my posts', this one opens without any problem, whereas the older one is still 'broken'. The difference between the older thread and this one, aside from the date it was posted, is that the older one had attachments and images, and the new one didn't.

If you need to see the newer post, please let me know. :)

Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

When I try goto my followed threads on my phone this is what happens I attached a screenshot in this post.. It worked fine the first few days but now it's doing this when I scroll down it just does that.. And no matter how much I scroll down it never ends.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement