Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Doesn't appear to have worked adding my attachment . Very buggy this new mobile site

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

jay93 wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to have worked adding my attachment . Very buggy this new mobile site

The torture *never* stops.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Lol ! I tried boards on an Android phone and its loading the followed threads fine but on my iPhone regardless of browser used it has an annoying bug..

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Couple of questions.

First one is why haven't boards suspended forcing the new site on overseas users given it is extremely buggy and in reality not fit for purpose?

Given the absolute rejection of the new site based on a poll of over 600 users on the busiest forum on boards is it not a wise course of action to relook at this redesign?

What outside source guided boards management to go this new design route? I'd be interested to find out who it was so I can avoid them professionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I mainly access boards on my phone and using the new format is awful. I can't find a mobile specific site, I can't see my forums and it's almost impossible to use boards on my iPhone. Is there a mobile site? I used to be redirected automatically. It's probably been discussed to death here but it's so hard to use boards that i can't do a search easily.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Followed pages bug.

Also if more serious concern to me is that the 'responsive' touch site is far far slower to load. Is it heavier on data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

On the old site if you put a link to a vine either directly on vine or through twitter on a post it used to show the video in the post, now it just shows the link, would be nice to get that included.

Is there any way to select an individual post to link to it on the new site like there was on the old one? Not obvious to me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Followed pages bug.

Also if more serious concern to me is that the 'responsive' touch site is far far slower to load. Is it heavier on data?

I noticed this as well, ive been trying to get used to the responsive site but end up clicking back on legacy as its so much slower to load up threads etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Another here with the 'followed threads bug' on mobile.Have to clear browser cache to get back to old site.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

the next page option appearing at the bottom of the page on mobile seem completely random

Any chance for an official response to these please?
    gandalf wrote: »
    Couple of questions.

First one is why haven't boards suspended forcing the new site on overseas users given it is extremely buggy and in reality not fit for purpose?

Seriously guys why are you forcing overseas users onto this site when clearly it is not fit for purpose as it stands?
    Given the absolute rejection of the new site based on a poll of over 600 users on the busiest forum on boards is it not a wise course of action to relook at this redesign?

What is the official reaction to this poll, if it was 50-50 then you would have some ground to stand on but at the current rate you are talking about an absolute rejection of the site and based on that it is safe to assume it will have an extremely detrimental effect on new sign ups and traffic from existing users/products?

Is there a rethink based on feedback?

If there is will you have proper user testing?

If there isn't please tell us why not?
    What outside source guided boards management to go this new design route? I'd be interested to find out who it was so I can avoid them professionally.

I am actually quite serious but if you prefer to answer via PM please do. I certainly wouldn't want to use these experts as I believe they have gotten this redesign very very wrong.

522 from CloudFlare from approx 04:00 to 05:00 there.

Not your ornery onager

• Site Banned Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Second Toughest in_the Freshers

Like the good old days

Esel wrote: »
    522 from CloudFlare from approx 04:00 to 05:00 there.

Again at approx 06:00

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

there's been a glitch with that go to last post thing on mobile for a few years. Boards 'forgets' your last post after about a week and brings you to the first post in the thread. The full site (old skin) never forgets.

Thats because its a daycent old skin

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Had been using the new site for the last couple of weeks on my laptop, and just switched back now after getting frustrated with it all. I'm sure there is a certain percentage of me that is just so familiar with the old site that it's a hard change, but the new site is just not easy to use, it actually lacks features (the search function goes to **** on the new site). Hopefully things improve, but the way I see it is that the new site needs a big change to work. Given it's in beta now, I just dont see that happening...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Is it possible to remove the announcement banners from the of EVERY page? They take up half the screen.

http://imgur.com/NemTZb4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

On the legacy site my last few sent pms are no where to be seen

• Advertisement

Given the lack of official response I have a feeling the boards management are hunkered down in a bunker!

soldier_in_bunker.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭maringo

Don't know if this is the right place but am having trouble signing into Adverts.ie with with my Boards id. When I try to sign in with FB its saying my name is already taken have signed in via Boards in the past without a problem. Any help appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Probably not the right thread but I notice the site is gone f*cking nuts for captchas again in my area (California).

Still silence, definitely get the feeling that the wagons are being circled.

The-Bundy-Wagon.jpg?1452053380

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Honestly im getting used to it and will happily continue to use it when the niggly functionality issues get fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

If I edit a post, it displays my old post and then a duplicate including my edits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

You can't properly locate your old posts from your profile in New Boards (as you could in legacy), the "look up started posts" reverts to simply looking up your posts in only new threads you created...

I cannot revert back to Legacy site, to look them up now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,964 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

So I was out having a coffee today and went to load up m.boards.ie as I have done for years only to get an error message. Has it finally bit the bullet?
    No bother I thought, I'll load up touch.boards.ie only to see what I presume is the new skin. If it's progress, it looks like progress from 15 years ago, I found it quite counter intuitive. It only showed me select postings or my 'followed forums' rather than giving me a list of latest postings from across the site.

I had purposely avoided loading up the new skin due to the overwhelming negative feedback amongst the user base. If what I have seen today is the future I shalln't be using the site on a casual basis as it just makes using the site a chore. Please tell me today's experience was a bug and that it's not what the management team have in place for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

It's a bad joke. And any constructive criticism or suggestion is met by either platitudes, deathly silence, or outright aggression and crankiness. DeV was a divisive character, but he had vision, when he could bring himself to focus in on things, and he brought people along with that, despite his many orphaned pipedreams (feedforward etc.)

I used to live on this thing-and now my input, be it lurking or actually participating, is sporadic at best. I also used to recommend it to people as a community, and a mine of information. Like a drunken uncle, I'm slightly embarrassed to do so now, and tend to feign ignorance when someone asks where to find something, or whether there's a resource online of like minded souls, for whatever the topic of the moment might be.

It's built up over years, a litany of poorly handled changes, crises, and queries. And it's a dreadful shame. I'm not sure what the solution is at this stage. The critical mass of users, the one thing that kept the show on the road, is being diluted by the day. The site isn't going to suddenly cease to exist or anything, but we're only going in one direction now.

• Advertisement

The generals have decided on a new weapon.

We, the troops, have to learn to use that weapon.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement