Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie New Site bugs and features

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

I'm in the states for a few months so I got the new mobile site look on my phone. It's fine for me and I prefer the new look but the talk to forums just load up as a desktop site on my phone :O whys that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Anyone else always missing the most recent thread on the followed threads list? If iv only 1 thread with new unread posts iv to go back to the legacy site to see it. If iv multiple threads I see all but the most recent too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Poll's appear to be shown as a bar chart rather than a Pie chart, its an extremely minor thing but when there is only two or three categories I think Pie charts are much nicer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Anyone else always missing the most recent thread on the followed threads list? If iv only 1 thread with new unread posts iv to go back to the legacy site to see it. If iv multiple threads I see all but the most recent too.

The first thread appears right under "MY THREADS", on that white horizontal section they've implemented, which also includes top conversations and my forums. If you click on "Show my threads", it scrolls down to show you a list of your threads, but it's only from the second one onwards. You have to scroll back up to the white top section to see the first thread. Terrible design.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Im only viewing through Chrome on Android and I've honestly can't see anything your talking about!

Haven't had a chance to look on a laptop yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I seem to have lost my admin powers. So, if you could get right on that, it'd be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

It doesn't matter how long someone has been a member, or how many psts they have.

Except it does.

To a mod, of course it does. Nothing screams rereg more than a new user spouting hate in a niche thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Poll's appear to be shown as a bar chart rather than a Pie chart, its an extremely minor thing but when there is only two or three categories I think Pie charts are much nicer
    No clue if there's an option for how to display, but pie charts are absolute dreadful at conveying anything below 8% of a difference so while a pie chart might be better for two or three, it's increasingly useless for most anything greater.

If I were gonna say one, I'd say you could customise bootstrap a bit more to suit your needs. It really does feel like you're working within the constraints of default bootstrap specifications and I dunno if they suit the amount of data you're displaying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Update for you all (I'm posting this without having caught up on this thread since Friday, that's next on my list):

We've got a lot of issues to add into our bug tracking and so prioritising that is taking time. We'll have an updated list for you this week so you can see what sort of progress we're making. The plan is to push out an updated list every week to keep you in the loop.

So I'm going back through this thread now to continue adding bugs and issues into the list.

Thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

To a mod, of course it does. Nothing screams rereg more than a new user spouting hate in a niche thread.

You also can't see who's a mod any more (or which forums they're mods of).

Makes it harder to know where to direct our hate-filled bile...

(Joke! Joke!!! :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

On Opera mobile:

My White on Black theme is ignored
    No facility to go to newest post
    No link to revert to legacy

So not really usable for me then - I use Opera Mobile all the time on my phone.

It's not great on Android Chrome either.

Looks ok - same as before - on PC Firefox

Does having your own theme negate all the new changes?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Bug on the mobile site, when the page is loading, page number in a thread is displayed as below

19fd64c95309c13b86252b7e8d9bb162.png

Which is how I'm guessing it should look. However when the page fully loads, it shifts to the below image

f10fc9a74b4bbdebdb465e02fdbae77d.png

This makes it impossible to tell how many pages are in a thread, which is a royal pain in the ass.

Running android v5.0.1 on a Samsung Galaxy S4 using dolphin browser.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm now in the very unfortunate position of seeing all posts by people previously on my ignore list. Have no idea how to put people on ignore on the new site either, not anywhere near as easy as the quick option on the drop down menu it used to be.

Site is telling me I have 1 new notification for a followed thread a lot even when there are no new posts in my followed threads.

When I click on the notification and go to followed threads it links me to "my threads" on the legacy site rather than a page for the new site.

Also, not sure how or if it's possible to delete a post with the new site? Doesn't seem to be an option for it when I'm editing a post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Would it be possible to get "Followed Threads" added to the main header? I know that it can be access by clicking onto my profile, but it might be more fluid to have it added up there alongside Talk To, Regional, My Forums etc.

Thankee.

Also, I can't seem to see all of my followed threads on the front page. It seems to list only those I accessed today. Is this just a bug or is this the new plan for that? It's a bit of a pain in the bum to have to search out the threads across all of the forums.

Thanks.

Edit: Seems to be the same for the latest threads across Boards. Before, was good to be able to just browse through the pages of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I will only be happy to use the new site once the vast majority of features return, at the moment it's like the legacy site's dumb brother.

• Administrators Posts: 53,369 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Can we please get rid of the 90x90 25kb avatar limit? Fairly nonsense in this day and age.

awec wrote: »
    Can we please get rid of the 90x90 25kb avatar limit? Fairly nonsense in this day and age.

That would be great!

When entering text in to a blank quote the text seems to appear twice. Once bolded and then again below that normally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Good luck and Thx. Legacy is way better I'm sure you will find people switching back in droves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

I did try to go with the new format, but I've called it a day and gone back to the Legacy format.

Its so much easier to use and organise. :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

yeah I tried to be positive about trying the new site but didn't like it at all. seems very condensed and not nearly as comfortable as the legacy. I may have to get used to it or something but not my cup of milky tea

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I like the look of it, it's a lot fresher than the old one and the thread display is less clunkier, it looks a lot smoother.

Just some glitches I've noticed so far:

- The stickied threads in forums seem to have disappeared (or was this by design?)
    - Clicking "Open link in new tab" on my username in the top-right corner opens a "blank:space" link, in other instances in seems to work just fine
    - Clicking "Find all your posts" just brings up threads that I've started (same thing happens on the mobile app)

Keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Is there no longer a short summary of a thread when you hover over a title? I'm on a desktop, using Chrome. I would really miss that feature, considering how many threads have useless names like "advice needed" etc.

I like the colour block with the thread titles at the top of the page!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 aglending

I'm having a problem logging in on the desktop. I have to keep submitting a forgot password command, check mail then log in with new password. I'm also being logged out after a little while.
    I know it will get fixed because this happens every time boards decide to change the layout.
    It's just so annoying.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Earlier on I was trying to send a PM, I got that CAPTCHA screen but no matter how many times I tried I couldn't get past it - the screen would just stop loading and go blank. In the end I was able to send it (without CAPTCHA) only after I removed all emoticons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

My main issue with it is the wasted space. Over 1/3rd of the page (300px) is used up by the global header and the section header.

Also, on my laptop , over 20% of the horizontal space is wasted. See attached for a few quick edits in developer tools, before and after...
    • Global Header and Section header reduced in size
    • Width extended to 95% of screen
    • Some padding added to show a distinction between Nav/Announcements and content.
    • Some padding reduced in the thread body to fit more threads into view

Note: The after screenshot is missing sub forum buttons, but there should be plenty of space. If you moved the search bar into the global header and used that space on the right for the sub forum buttons?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

ocallagh wrote: »
    My main issue with it is the wasted space. Over 1/3rd of the page (300px) is used up by the global header and the section header.

Also, on my laptop , over 20% of the horizontal space is wasted. See attached for a few quick edits in developer tools, before and after...
    • Global Header and Section header reduced in size
    • Width extended to 95% of screen
    • Some padding added to show a distinction between Nav/Announcements and content.
    • Some padding reduced in the thread body to fit more threads into view

Note: The after screenshot is missing sub forum buttons, but there should be plenty of space. If you moved the search bar into the global header and used that space on the right for the sub forum buttons?

The Before and After are the two extremes, a healthy medium would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭ocallagh

Carnacalla wrote: »
    The Before and After are the two extremes, a healthy medium would be good.

I've never seen the need for oversizing items like site logo's or page headers. Boards is about the content, and on the new site the content is nearly at the fold.. (It wasn't great on the old theme either now I come to think about it). If it was up to me I'd prob go even more extreme and get rid of the section header and have a basic text breadcrumb nav with plenty of horizontal spacing between words to work on touch devices

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement