Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying accents in the world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

eisenberg1 wrote: »
    That English accent (I thinks it's referred to as the estuary voice) essexish kind of Londony thing, it's all "Bruv" and "innit". And they all sound like English is their second language. Even in Eastenders it is sometimes hard to Hear a genuine old school cockney accent.

Is that the accent the current set of 'Lahndin' rappers use in their ranty chanty songs?

For me, I don't particularly like the Dutch accent. They all sound American - but kinda like Apu from the Simpsons did in that episode when he was trying to get his citizenship.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

12Phase wrote: »
    Certain South African accents just go through me. There's a really cold sounding one where all the words are clipped. Even though the people can be lovely, it just ALWAYS sounds patronising / condescending to my ears.

"Diplomatic immunity" ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Corkgirl18

Anyone who pronounces 'Cork' as 'Koe-erk'

A1 grummitt

I'd take a Koe-erk over a Kark any day :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

Louth.

It's just impossible to take seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

NiallBoo wrote: »
    Louth.

Ah now hee-or!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

A Kiwi bloke a few years back told me the difference between Aussie and Kiwi accents but strewth Sheila, there is some New Zealand cook on TV with misplaced vowel syndrome and everything is "incridible" chops her "viggies" and "vigit-arians." So Irritee-ting!

"Piss the rimote."

Thought that was more a south african thing

That's not an accent, that's several accents.

Any of them on their own would be fine but it becomes annoying because her accent changes syllable-by-syllable and your brain has to put work into finding out what's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Do people hate the D4 accent, because it genuinely hurts their ears? Or do they dislike it because it represents a certain level of pretentiousness, of which they disapprove? Ye will probably all say you genuinely dislike it, but c'mon now, be honest. Is there not an element of reverse snobbery going on here?

Both, actually.

I like Keelin Shanley's actual voice. But her Sloanie accent is a total put on, and I find it unbearable. Likewise the D4/AA Roadwatch accent. Never heard it before the mid-90s. Now every second media twit has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭McDave

Corkgirl18 wrote: »
    I'd take a Koe-erk over a Kark any day :P

How about Quirk?

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

wakka12 wrote: »
    Thought that was more a south african thing

That would be both. I believe, because they both had a fair amount of Dutch peeps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Commotion Ocean

Anyone who spekas with a fake American accent shall have 1 cm of their tongue removed for each syllable uttered in the aforementioned accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy's accents. Seems like they're trying so hard to sound like they're not from Norn Iron, it's almost completely American at this stage peppered with tiny parts Norn Iron.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,814 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I never knew Kilkenny had an accent. Don't they just talk normal bland english.
    Now Cock City of course would have an accent that is clear for all to heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Graeme McDowell and Rory McIlroy's accents. Seems like they're trying so hard to sound like they're not from Norn Iron, it's almost completely American at this stage peppered with tiny parts Norn Iron.

Aren't they both based in Florida? I can understand someone who has lived there for years picking up a bit of a Southern twang. I lived in Georgia for nearly two decades and I did. If that is the case with McDowell, fair enough, he's nearly 40. But there's no excuse for McIlroy. He's what, 25, 26?
    McDave wrote: »
    Both, actually.

I like Keelin Shanley's actual voice. But her Sloanie accent is a total put on, and I find it unbearable. Likewise the D4/AA Roadwatch accent. Never heard it before the mid-90s. Now every second media twit has it.

That sorta proves my point. It's not the accent people dislike. It's the perceived "notions" that people who have a D4 accent, are supposed to have. Either that, or it's fake. It's hardly someones fault if they are from Mount Merrion or Killiney. (Anyone who falsely adopts the accept is another kettle of fish entirely.) I'm not mad about the Cork accent. It's a bit too lilty/singy-songy for my liking, but I don't make automatic judgements that everyone who has one is a pretentious twit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Louth.

Which one? The county or the village? There are many accents in county Louth.

Which one? The county or the village? There are many accents in county Louth.

Ardee to Dundalk type area was what I had in mind.

I don't know the subtleties of exact areas to fully answer your question, but I think the general region has the same annoying quality (to different extents). It's the kind of sound you get when you talk one of those taking teddy-bears and swing it around really hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

McDave wrote: »
    Both, actually.

The roadwatch crowd are desperate with their bogger wannabe mid Atlantic accents

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

The news reader on Nova in the mornings is a pain in the hole to listen to at that hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

I never knew Kilkenny had an accent. Don't they just talk normal bland english.
    Now Cock City of course would have an accent that is clear for all to heard.

That's definitely a hard one alright. Especially when it's a bit thick, it can be quite a mouthful to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I don't know the subtleties of exact areas to fully answer your question, but I think the general region has the same annoying quality (to different extents). It's the kind of sound you get when you talk one of those taking teddy-bears and swing it around really hard.

Ardee and Dundalk are quite different. Drogheda even more so. Don't know if every county is the same but every 5 miles there is a different accent in Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Ardee and Dundalk are quite different. Drogheda even more so. Don't know if every county is the same but every 5 miles there is a different accent in Louth.

They all sound like diesel launderers to me, so they do hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Didas

That high, whiny accent that a lot of junkies in Dublin speak with, like the lads in the film Adam & Paul.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

Where are those people who work for Virgin Media from? I genuinely have no idea. It's a very tricky accent to place, but I f*cking hate it, and them, all the same.

I also hate the Belfast accent. It genuinely annoys me and I've no idea why.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,260 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

and they are all, for the most part, terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Koptain Liverpool

It doesn't stop at county borders. There is a belt of atrocious accents which spreads across from Dundalk and Ardee into Monaghan. The Carrickmacross accent is awful and completely different from the pleasant accent in the north of county Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Fake D4/American. Usually teenage girls.

I am embarrassed for them loike oh my gawd.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Middle class southern English guys who work as engineers for Formula 1 teams. I hate it when they come over the car radio. They sound like uncool 'Dads'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

1. Jamaican. (I think it's because I can't bear them as a race rather than it's the worst sound ever)

2. Moroccan Arabaic. No problem with these people just you know it's a bit Klingon from Star Trek. Everything sounds like they are having a row. Very harsh at all times.

3. NI. Must be the weirdest worst accent ever, all flavours of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Why do you even care?

I live in Colombia and know that Bogotanos, Paisas and Costeños sound like they're from different countries.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 150 ✭✭Head Wreck

learn_more wrote:
    1. Jamaican. (I think it's because I can't bear them as a race rather than it's the worst sound ever)

Jamaicans aren't a race, but you are racist.

Advertisement