Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying accents in the world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Niemoj wrote: »
    I feckin' hate people who use this word wrong.

I live in the inner city at the moment, have done for a few years. I know several hundred people either as friends or aquaintances/work colleagues all with a similar accent to McGregor, some harsher some more subtle. Therefore I know literally hundreds of people with his accent :)
    The late Cathal had nothing like a SOCODU accent, in fact had the typical flat drawl of Marino Fairview area,albeit poshed up a good bit.

The drawl is the most distinct part of accents from that area with the vowels elongated as in 'peeearson' instead of person.

If you want a lower grade SOCODU accent from around DL and Dalkey area Des Cahill is yer man, where the o letter gets driven into the u letter as in Guvverment and cuntry.

Keelin Shanley is the expert at the clipped nasally tones of the educated SOCODU accent whilst of the top of me head Catriona Perry would epitomise the Dort accent.

Food for thought there👍

Well I suppose it depends where you determine South Dublin is exactly. Knockyon for example wouldn't have the dort accent but it wouldn't have a 'howiye' accent either. Ditto for Templeogue, Sandyford, Ballinteer etc. You hear many people with an accent similar to Cathal O Shannon here. Not exact, but it's close.

I was replying to someone btw who said Cathal O Shannon had a traditional South Dublin accent, hence why I asked was he faking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Sam Kade wrote: »
    The Healy Rae's have an accent all to themselves and there was I thinking it was a Kerry accent.

My Kerry partner hit levels of squeak in protesting that Healy-Rae is not indicative of how Kerry people speak. Thanks for that, morning entertainment!

For me, hrrrm... -strong- regional accents bug me more than national accents in general. The Wexford whine being my main bugbear. But the very nasal American accent (I'm not sure which American accent is from what region) also gets up my nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Samaris wrote: »
    My Kerry partner hit levels of squeak in protesting that Healy-Rae is not indicative of how Kerry people speak. Thanks for that, morning entertainment!

Why didn't you give him/her an oul bit of an oul shhhchelp?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

valoren wrote: »
    In an interview he mentions his accent.

I remember trying to order a sandwich one day in a Subway shop. There was an old black girl behind the counter.

Hmmmm,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Australian accent. Awful, cringeworthy ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Dick phelan

A harsh Boston accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

LorMal wrote: »
    I don't think there is an accent particular to Dublin 4. When did all this 'D4' stuff start?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dublin_4

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

That English accent (I thinks it's referred to as the estuary voice) essexish kind of Londony thing, it's all "Bruv" and "innit". And they all sound like English is their second language. Even in Eastenders it is sometimes hard to Hear a genuine old school cockney accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Inner city Dublin accent. It's not really the accent itself it's more the terrible pronunciation that annoys me.

I find the Cork accent contiguous. I went to college there and I now start speaking in a Cork accent when speaking to people with Cork accents.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Niemoj wrote: »
    I feckin' hate people who use this word wrong.

Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,303 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The AA roadwatch girls with their D4 wannabe put ons... Probably all from Westmeath

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Someone once told me I sound like I'm from mullingar and I'm pretending to be posh so my accent must be horrible :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Posh English bloke "What's your name?"

Cockney bloke "Smiff" (smith)

Posh bloke (in a mocking tone) "Is that spelled with one F or two?"

Cockney bloke "Free" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

A Kiwi bloke a few years back told me the difference between Aussie and Kiwi accents but strewth Sheila, there is some New Zealand cook on TV with misplaced vowel syndrome and everything is "incridible" chops her "viggies" and "vigit-arians." So Irritee-ting!

"Piss the rimote."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Nigerian accent (there may be many Nigerian accents, I don't know). Jesus it drives me mad to listen to it

It.sounds.like.evary.word.iis.a.santaance.all.togather.at.one

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

There's a girl presenting on Xpose at the minute and she has the most grating D4 accent ever. When she says "celebs" it sounds like "slobs".

Also the Yorkshire accent is pretty grim,"a love livin in Yorkshaaa me" those two sisters on Gogglebox UK...*shudders*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The ugliest accent in the world has to be Brummy. It's a wonder anyone in Birmingham ever gets laid. It sounds like an entire city with a head cold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Not forgetting South African. The South African accent sounds like it was designed to be spoken exclusively by military and SWAT team personnel. There's a reason you haven't seen many Seth Efrican rom-coms.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,415 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Posh Galway City accent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

There aren't many accents I can't enjoy. I actually enjoyed how Aussie people spoke when I was down there. Same with Kiwis. I loved some of the subtle differences. Like how they'd say "crook" instead of sick.
    But yeah, Northern Irish accents of all kinds wreck my head, I freak out when BBC news turns into Newsline and scramble towards the remote before I hear the word "Newtonards".
    Posh "rarara" English accents, the way young Sloanie types would talk.
    D4. It seems to be adopted more so by women in Dublin rather than men. Am I right? I find it insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The united states accent from the south, the southern english accent that women have from the south. The D4 accent.

In Spanish the mexican,colombian,catalan and ceuta accents.

I love when an italian girl speaks spanish, i dont think ive ever heard something so sexy in my life.

Which one? Colombia has several, all very different.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Which one? Colombia has several, all very different.

Why do you even care?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Why do you even care?

Some of us have spent time there, know people there and can tell the difference. Imagine if you heard someone say that an Irish accent was horrible but all they'd heard was inner city Dublin and had never heard Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone who pronounces 'Cork' as 'Koe-erk'

A1 grummitt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,190 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Anyone who pronounces 'Cork' as 'Koe-erk'

A1 grummitt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭Means Of Escape

Northern Oreland accent

Whee da weee da whee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Do people hate the D4 accent, because it genuinely hurts their ears? Or do they dislike it because it represents a certain level of pretentiousness, of which they disapprove? Ye will probably all say you genuinely dislike it, but c'mon now, be honest. Is there not an element of reverse snobbery going on here?

Advertisement