Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying accents in the world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

12Phase wrote: »
    Certain South African accents just go through me. There's a really cold sounding one where all the words are clipped. Even though the people can be lovely, it just ALWAYS sounds patronising / condescending to my ears.

The accent to me sounds automatically arrogant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭CaraMay

Oh yeah the talking through your nose Dublin accent. Manky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

valoren wrote: »
    In an interview he mentions his accent.

In the beginning, when I first went to the States, I remember trying to order a sandwich one day in a Subway shop. There was an old black girl behind the counter. She says (mimics a southern drawl): 'Honey I love your accent but I've just no idea what you're saying.' Or I'd call the college to register for a class and I'd have to repeat myself 10 times. So I'm not sure if I felt I had to project my voice differently, or if I made a conscious decision to do it to make my life easier. Whatever happened it stuck, and now I have this mid-Atlantic thing that people love to abuse.

David Feherty is another who uses the Twangs-atlantic accent.
    Sure McGregor is sort of the same, how slow does he talk!? When he's trash talking it sounds really weird, but I suppose he has to talk like that for his audience to get the message. If he was in Dublin I'd say he'd speak a little quicker.

I hate the various Dublin accents as well as accents from the Midlands, Dundalk, etc.

In relation to the modern D4 accent, I wonder where it came from, TV? I call in the modern D4 accent because isn't the accent of the likes of Garret Fitzgerald, David Norris, etc, the real D4 accent? Or maybe that accent is called an Anglo-Irish accent.

My niece and nephew are from Cork (as are their parents; they are first cousins, live 30mins apart). They are 4 and she seems to have an English accent, she asks for a drink of 'wo-tah', had a birthday 'paw-tee' and goes to the 'pawk'. He has more of a normal accent but with a small American twang, he asks for drink of 'WA-DERRRRRR'. I can only assume it's the TV programmes they watch that are influencing their accents.

I love Northern Irish, Polish and German accents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

farmchoice wrote: »
    i have to disagree with you there and this is only my opinion but the prevalence of the dort accent has become much much more widespread in dublin and while the original accent is still there especially with older people the ''newer'' accent is taking over among the young and getting worse all the time.

I just feel like most of the people claiming that the accent has changed so dramatically don't actually live in South Dublin, nor did they live there 20 or 30 years ago and thus wouldn't really have a clue and are basing it on a few TV personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

wakka12 wrote: »
    Its not specific to d4 despite its name..many people from all over south county dublin and plenty from the north too in howth and other places..just generally its people from posh areas of d4/d6 that have that accent

You're right. It's basically just anybody with a posh accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

I hate the various Dublin accents as well as accents from the Midlands, Dundalk, etc.

In relation to the modern D4 accent, I wonder where it came from, TV? I call in the modern D4 accent because isn't the accent of the likes of Garret Fitzgerald, David Norris, etc, the real D4 accent? Or maybe that accent is called an Anglo-Irish accent.

My niece and nephew are from Cork (as are their parents; they are first cousins, live 30mins apart). They are 4 and she seems to have an English accent, she asks for a drink of 'wo-tah', had a birthday 'paw-tee' and goes to the 'pawk'. He has more of a normal accent but with a small American twang, he asks for drink of 'WA-DERRRRRR'. I can only assume it's the TV programmes they watch that are influencing their accents.

I love Northern Irish, Polish and German accents.

You probably dont realise you have an accent too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Dort

I'm from Dundalk and it's close between Dundalk, Derry and proper Belfast.

• Advertisement

Sam Kade wrote: »
    False D4 accents, must be the most ear grating accent in the world.

Came here to get abuse for my accent, was not disappointed. 10/10, would open thread again.

Tell me though, what makes my accent fake and yours genuine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Came here to get abuse for my accent, was not disappointed. 10/10, would open thread again.

Get up the yard. Most of the country has been tagged as having the worst accent. Tell you what. Go off and have a nice game of lawn tennis. It'll take your mind off the indignity of it all.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,272 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Bigbok wrote: »
    Not like everytime I hear a Irish accent I think of a paedophile

Getting a bit snippy Jaapie?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Get up the yard. Most of the country has been tagged as having the worst accent. Tell you what. Go off and have a nice game of lawn tennis. It'll take your mind off the indignity of it all.:pac:

I scanned the first page. Two complaints of the d4 with the most thanks. One of those posts is you actually :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I scanned the first page. Two complaints of the d4 with the most thanks. One of those posts is you actually :)

Ah but you're wrong. I never complained about the D4 accent. I commented on how a girl from Dundalk amazingly developed one, and explained it by saying she went to college in Galway!

Whenever you're ready with the apology.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

Amazingly any hot girl with an unusal accent becomes hotter to me. Except d4 then she's a thundering entitled ****.

Queen(s) of the D4 accent.

I give you

#1 Cathriona Perry RTE Washington corr.
    #2 Della Kilroy reports on RTE R1 Drivetime.

Anyone trump those two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

You could basically read the phone book in an Icelandic accent and sound interesting and rather hot.

Certain Donegal accents too...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

ANY put on pretentious accent is going to be annoying.

I know this is a send up, but it highlights the Australian version of the D4 fake accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Vowel Movement

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You really need to practise your Morse code.

... --- ...

We will rescue you. Stay put, don't move.

Not your ornery onager

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Niemoj

Wexford accents are just plain fúcked up. They're 'quare annnoying.

De Carla accent does be quare bad too like...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,138 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Niemoj wrote: »
    De Carla accent does be quare bad too like...

Does be, do be, doobie. Yo, man.

Not your ornery onager

The accent Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most common in South Dublin, possibly a little posher than the average. :confused: He's just a lot more charismatic when speaking than the average Dub. He's also from a working class backround in Marino. Suppose he's putting his accent on too ey? I think you're talking out of your arse.

Yes he does! I know literally hundreds of people with his accent.

I feckin' hate people who use this word wrong.

Esel wrote: »
    Does be, do be, doobie. Yo, man.

Ah shtop, I do be always sayin de do bes and does bes when I shouldn't be sayin ayder, I don't be well so I don't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a certain Jackeen male inner city accent that's pure gangster.

Tobacco affected voice, you usually know by the appearance also. Very uncouth in their diction.

The accent Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most common in South Dublin, possibly a little posher than the average. :confused: He's just a lot more charismatic when speaking than the average Dub. He's also from a working class backround in Marino. Suppose he's putting his accent on too ey? I think you're talking out of your arse.

Yes he does! I know literally hundreds of people with his accent.

The late Cathal had nothing like a SOCODU accent, in fact had the typical flat drawl of Marino Fairview area,albeit poshed up a good bit.

The drawl is the most distinct part of accents from that area with the vowels elongated as in 'peeearson' instead of person.

If you want a lower grade SOCODU accent from around DL and Dalkey area Des Cahill is yer man, where the o letter gets driven into the u letter as in Guvverment and cuntry.

Keelin Shanley is the expert at the clipped nasally tones of the educated SOCODU accent whilst of the top of me head Catriona Perry would epitomise the Dort accent.

Food for thought there👍

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

D4 accent
    Inner city Dublin accent.
    Cavan accent.
    Pikey accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Nigerian accent (there may be many Nigerian accents, I don't know). Jesus it drives me mad to listen to it

Advertisement