Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying accents in the world

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,347 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So it looks like every single accent in Ireland has been named in this thread, so we all sound like ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

what has happened to the south Dublin accent in the lat 20-30 years is a travesty.

there used to be a lovely cultured south dublin accent (think cathal o shannon the rte reporter, he did those unsolved murder programmes, among others) but it has now been almost completely overtaken by what is in effect a put on accent, often referred to as the Dort accent or D4 accent but i think this term is a bit misleading the D4 accent is different and a bit more real and its sort of Dort lite.
    the older generation still have the nicer accent but from about 40 down now its that terrible whine. its a pity but that's the nature of accents they change with time. still i surprised by the takeover of the new ''dort accent'' because its so offensive to the ear, usually when accents change they become more bland and less regional but this is the opposite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

Makes you wonder when Ireland is often voted by other nations as having the best accent, are they basing it on Irish celebrities or on a, say, North Dub they meet on holiers, or the general flat midlands Irish accent.

Conor McGregor has an awful accent, he doesn't even sound like he's from Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Dunno if its been mentioned but the only way to describe it is a fake american/tv accent some young Irish people seem to have now. Your parents or nobody else sounds like it so where did you pick it up from? Hate it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭team_actimel

schizo1014 wrote: »
    Dunno if its been mentioned but the only way to describe it is a fake american/tv accent some young Irish people seem to have now. Your parents or nobody else sounds like it so where did you pick it up from? Hate it!

Think it's from young people glued to their American TV shows and films. I went to college with a fella from Cork and he had a strong enough American accent, solely from watching too much TV and he didn't interact with other people much, just stayed in his room on campus.

• Advertisement

Makes you wonder when Ireland is often voted by other nations as having the best accent, are they basing it on Irish celebrities or on a, say, North Dub they meet on holiers, or the general flat midlands Irish accent.

Conor McGregor has an awful accent, he doesn't even sound like he's from Dublin.

I'd imagine the likes of Colin Farrell and Michael Fassbender would have a lot to do with it on a world stage, but I've been to a few places out foreign and people just seem to like the Irish Accent in general they probably can't tell a difference between our variations of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

farmchoice wrote: »
    what has happened to the south Dublin accent in the lat 20-30 years is a travesty.

there used to be a lovely cultured south dublin accent (think cathal o shannon the rte reporter, he did those unsolved murder programmes, among others) but it has now been almost completely overtaken by what is in effect a put on accent, often referred to as the Dort accent or D4 accent but i think this term is a bit misleading the D4 accent is different and a bit more real and its sort of Dort lite.
    the older generation still have the nicer accent but from about 40 down now its that terrible whine. its a pity but that's the nature of accents they change with time. still i surprised by the takeover of the new ''dort accent'' because its so offensive to the ear, usually when accents change they become more bland and less regional but this is the opposite.

The accent Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most common in South Dublin, possibly a little posher than the average. :confused: He's just a lot more charismatic when speaking than the average Dub. He's also from a working class backround in Marino. Suppose he's putting his accent on too ey? I think you're talking out of your arse.

Yes he does! I know literally hundreds of people with his accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Having been in Cork for a long time, I learnt how what people normally refer to as a "Cork accent" is really what Corkonians call a "norrie accent". In that regards, it is very annoying - especially the "fook" they seem to put once every three words :D

American "southern" accents are a mix of annoying and funny, I can't decide. George HW Bush sounded positively grating, but then again, watch "Republican Space Rangers" in GTA IV / V :D

Last, I absolutely get pissed off about Italians speaking utterly broken English when they've been here for 10 years.
    Think it's from young people glued to their American TV shows and films. I went to college with a fella from Cork and he had a strong enough American accent, solely from watching too much TV and he didn't interact with other people much, just stayed in his room on campus.

I actually think it's a very widespread phenomena - most teenagers I hear on the streets, both in Dublin and Cork, seem to sport the fake American one...

The accent Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most common in South Dublin, possibly a little posher than the average. :confused: He's just a lot more charismatic when speaking than the average Dub. He's also from a working class backround in Marino. Suppose he's putting his accent on too ey? I think you're talking out of your arse.
    talking out of my arse in what respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

farmchoice wrote: »
    talking out of my arse in what respect?

Well for one, that supposed cultured accent that Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most prevalent accent in South Dublin (Well in the wealthier areas so Howth and Clontarf etc included). So I don't see where the change has been there? Unless you're basing this on Damo and Ivor or something. There's very few people in the grand scheme of things who have American twinges to their accents. I mean they do exist, but they exist all over Ireland from people being glued to their televisions and our exposure to American media. As far as I know internet and sky are available outside of small pockets of Dublin! So there hasn't been major change in the last 20 years specific to the D4 accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I'm still listening to Ireland's most boring sports commentator four hours after he started bellowing about the school sports.
    Phone calls to the school and the noise pollution section of the council shut him up for a while. They lowered the volume to about 10% but have been sneakily raising it ever since.

Well for one, that supposed cultured accent that Cathal O Shannon has is probably the most prevalent accent in South Dublin (Well in the wealthier areas so Howth and Clontarf etc included). There's very few people in the grand scheme of things who have American twinges to their accents. I mean they do exist, but they exist all over Ireland from people being glued to their televisions and our exposure to American media. As far as I know internet and sky are available outside of small pockets of Dublin! So there hasn't been major change in the last 20 years specific to the D4 accent.

i have to disagree with you there and this is only my opinion but the prevalence of the dort accent has become much much more widespread in dublin and while the original accent is still there especially with older people the ''newer'' accent is taking over among the young and getting worse all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭12Phase

Certain South African accents just go through me. There's a really cold sounding one where all the words are clipped. Even though the people can be lovely, it just ALWAYS sounds patronising / condescending to my ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭milehip

NIMAN wrote: »
    So it looks like every single accent in Ireland has been named in this thread, so we all sound like ****.

Dont the Whest has got a doing yet,shruley tis has a few haters out there shure.

milehip wrote: »
    Dont the Whest has got a doing yet,shruley tis has a few haters out there shure.

Sligo! The Sligo accent is fairly horrible at the best of times they are like the scangers of the west

12Phase wrote: »
    Certain South African accents just go through me. There's a really cold sounding one where all the words are clipped. Even though the people can be lovely, it just ALWAYS sounds patronising / condescending to my ears.

I Know this thread's about accents and not people, but have you met many South Africans?

I Know this thread's about accents and not people, but have you met many South Africans?

Yeah, I worked with a few in London who were all lovely. Their accents could cut steel though!

12Phase wrote: »
    Yeah, I worked with a few in London who were all lovely. Their accents could cut steel though!

Fair enough,I'd say you'd be in a minority describing SA's as 'lovely' tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

I don't really hate any accents; certain broad accents can be annoying eg Belfast, Derry, Dublin.

What I do *fúcking hate* is people thinking that everyone in the north speaks like they're from Belfast - we don't!

armaghlad wrote: »
    I don't really hate any accents; certain broad accents can be annoying eg Belfast, Derry, Dublin.

What I do *fúcking hate* is people thinking that everyone in the north speaks like they're from Belfast - we don't!

Indeed me being from Donegal i've been asked ain Dublin what part of Belfast I was from, brave difference between the two. Even in Armagh between North and South you can tell the difference in accents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,762 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Have any of you ever heard Matty McGrath the politician speaking.

Sufferin Muther of Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

Indeed me being from Donegal i've been asked ain Dublin what part of Belfast I was from, brave difference between the two. Even in Armagh between North and South you can tell the difference in accents

I can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭armaghlad

There are slight differences all over Armagh and I'm sure it's the same in Donegal and most other counties. In Armagh for example north and south would be almost night and day between the two, however in the north of the county especially towards Armagh city and the northern and western rural parts of the county would be more "country" whereas around Lurgan and Portadown a lot of Belfast people would have settled over the years and brought with them their rank accent lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Sligo! The Sligo accent is fairly horrible at the best of times they are like the scangers of the west

*Schligo.*

Fair enough,I'd say you'd be in a minority describing SA's as 'lovely' tho.

Well, you can't really write off a while nationality. Maybe they has to leave because they were too nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I dislike these

Nasal Dublin accent
    Falsetto Cork accent
    Grunting bogman accent
    Outta breath traveller accent

South African accent sounds better sung than spoken, imo anyway

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

D4 is horrendous and fake. Never liked the Australian one either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

The 'I've been in trinity for 2 weeks' accent is an abomination.

The 'I've been in trinity for 2 weeks' accent is an abomination.

They start describing things as 'an abomination' too instead of a 'pile of s...te'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,467 ✭✭✭valoren

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Graham McDowell.

Close the thread.

In an interview he mentions his accent.

In the beginning, when I first went to the States, I remember trying to order a sandwich one day in a Subway shop. There was an old black girl behind the counter. She says (mimics a southern drawl): 'Honey I love your accent but I've just no idea what you're saying.' Or I'd call the college to register for a class and I'd have to repeat myself 10 times. So I'm not sure if I felt I had to project my voice differently, or if I made a conscious decision to do it to make my life easier. Whatever happened it stuck, and now I have this mid-Atlantic thing that people love to abuse.

David Feherty is another who uses the Twangs-atlantic accent.

Advertisement