Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

screamer wrote: »
    Yes so long as you can find the volume switch on my baby same as your iPad.. ...

Seriously the last few posts just prove what I said the attitude towards babies children and families in restaurants in Ireland stinks.

You've cranked your baby's volume up to max by playing peek a boo just because you feel like it, my iPhone is up to max so I can hear over your baby. Is that ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

screamer wrote: »
    I look forward to your best seller on quieter games to control babies reaction in public and other social settings ..... ha ha.

If a baby is crying, it probably needs to be fed, changed or comforted - so do that. If it's a toddler, a colouring book, regular book, iPad etc are good options...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Let's just say I only knew Ireland from AH on Boards.ie, I would now ask the question, how are there not mass brawls on every street corner every day?
    How do you people actually live with each other? There should be mass casualties and civil war in this country every week.
    I can only assume that apart from the absolute cranks on here, the real people of Ireland are actually somewhat tolerant of each other...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Let's just say I only knew Ireland from AH on Boards.ie, I would now ask the question, how are there not mass brawls on every street corner every day?
    How do you people actually live with each other? There should be mass casualties and civil war in this country every week.
    I can only assume that apart from the absolute cranks on here, the real people of Ireland are actually somewhat tolerant of each other...

Beats me, I'm a Yank :D We already think there are brawls on every corner every day in Ireland. (j/k)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Will you or the idiot father in this case be paying for the meal then if you want the person to leave ? They kind of do have to be there having ordered a meal they have to pay for. Total disrespect. If it was not MacDonalds there is a certain level of etiquette in a restaurant or are people not taught manners these days ?

Where did I say manners aren't important?

I'm not going to keep repeating myself you can read my posts and take from it what you will.

• Advertisement

In real life, we're a lot more passive aggressive and do most of our bitching behind each other's backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I'm opening a new restaurant called peace and quiet.

Kids meals cost 300 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Joe prim wrote: »
    How very dare her!

Great addition the thread. I'll have to steal that one :rolleyes:
    Bringing a baby to the doctors office is a necessary outing
    Bringing a baby to a restaurant is not
    You appear to have become confused by the 2 scenarios

I'm not quite understanding your point, or why you tried to make it, as it doesn't seem to correlate with the post you quoted. Maybe go back and fix it.
    If a baby is crying, it probably needs to be fed, changed or comforted - so do that. If it's a toddler, a colouring book, regular book, iPad etc are good options...

Do you have kids? I hope not, because the worst kind of parenting (if it can even be called parenting) is the type where a toddler is given an ipad to shut them up. It's certainly not a good option.
    In real life, we're I am a lot more passive aggressive and do most of our my bitching behind each other's other peoples backs.

You complained earlier when someone was supposedly misrepresenting your posts. Would be nice if you didn't try to represent an entire country in a single post...so I fixed it for you.

I bitch equally as much on the keyboard as I do outside. It's a favourite pastime of mine ;)
    steddyeddy wrote: »
    I'm opening a new restaurant called peace and quiet.

Kids meals cost 300 euro.

I think you are a bit late to the table eddy. That jibe was made a few pages back. It wasn't funny the first time either. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

goz83 wrote: »
    Do you have kids? I hope not, because the worst kind of parenting (if it can even be called parenting) is the type where a toddler is given an ipad to shut them up. It's certainly not a good option.

goz I have to ask, why do you say this?

It's not so much giving them an iPad "to shut them up", but rather to entertain themselves. They can do colouring or maths or play a game on it or whatever. I really don't see the issue some people have with children and technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Yeh like a lot of others on here I'm qualified to say as a father of 3 children .

Number one priority is to respect others around you . if I was out with wife if one of the kids is crying/ being naughty and causing a problem one of us would leave premises and sort it out .

Nobody should have to put up with the bullshyte of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I think as you get older you tend to not care what others think. I would have kindly told madame to mind ones business or one will be drowning in her spaghetti. Fcuk them

Be jaysus you're a hard man, nobody would mess with you I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeh like a lot of others on here I'm qualified to say as a father of 3 children .

Number one priority is to respect others around you . if I was out with wife if one of the kids is crying/ being naughty and causing a problem one of us would leave premises and sort it out .

Nobody should have to put up with the bullshyte of others.

I would imagine that's what most parents would do with a naughty child. According to AH though, Irish restaurants and pubs are overrun with screaming children while their parents sit there ignoring them. That certainly hasn't been my experience.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I would imagine that's what most parents would do with a naughty child. According to AH though, Irish restaurants and pubs are overrun with screaming children while their parents sit there ignoring them. That certainly hasn't been my experience.

I think it's also fair to say that according to AH, everyone else who isn't them, hates them, apparently! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭etoughguy

Best post on this thread by far

I am the father of an autistic 6 year old who does now and then let out high pitch screams when he is happy (which as any father would do I try my best to make sure this is 100% of the time) and I couldn't give a rats a$$ if those around me take umbrage while eating their food. My son will still be autistic tomorrow and your food will be gone, sure you might rant and rave to others about your interrupted peace and quiet but get your off your moral high horse and have some consideration for the parents, all may not what it seems to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love this thread :D

"Have you got kids? I certainly hope not. Only bad parents let their kids play with iPads"

Coming from the camp of where other people don't matter and should leave an establishment if they're offended by screaming children

:D:D

Who are you to tell anyone how to parent??

etoughguy wrote: »

I am the father of an autistic 6 year old who does now and then let out high pitch screams when he is happy (which as any father would do I try my best to make sure this is 100% of the time) and I couldn't give a rats a$$ if those around me take umbrage while eating their food. My son will still be autistic tomorrow and your food will be gone, sure you might rant and rave to others about your interrupted peace and quiet but get your off your moral high horse and have some consideration for the parents, all may not what it seems to be

Constant screaming for ten minutes in a restaurant needs to be dealt with.
    That's on you, not everyone else. Random scream or a bit of crying, no big deal.

I'm not on any moral high horse to suggest that you should have some consideration for other people. No ranting, raving, or high pitched screams necessary. That way everyone gets along fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

This is nothing at all like what the op described - where an eejit of a father was encouraging his child to get louder and louder and louder for 10 minutes solid. The baby had no control over this, but numb nut dad did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭wokingvoter

Great addition the thread. I'll have to steal that one :rolleyes:

I'm not quite understanding your point, or why you tried to make it, as it doesn't seem to correlate with the post you quoted. Maybe go back and fix it.

You complained earlier when someone was supposedly misrepresenting your posts. Would be nice if you didn't try to represent an entire country in a single post...so I fixed it for you.

I bitch equally as much on the keyboard as I do outside. It's a favourite pastime of mine ;)

I think you are a bit late to the table eddy. That jibe was made a few pages back. It wasn't funny the first time either. :D
    Ahh right on cue! Just the kind of passive aggressive nonsense to illustrate the point! Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Luckily for society, Boardsies never go outdoors

• Advertisement

This is what bugs me. You and several other parents on this thread want a huge amount of consideration to be shown to you, while simultaneously rejecting the fact that you should show consideration to others. How come this consideration only goes one way?

Imagine a couple with kids that don't get out that often book a sitter for their anniversary or a birthday. They put on nice clothes and head off to a nice restaurant for a nice meal - a lovely and all too rare treat! They get to a restaurant where they're seated beside a screaming child. Is that fair?

You don't know anyone else's circumstances any more than they know yours, so maybe be a little less presumptuous about your right to ruin someone else's evening.

Then go with one of the other suggestions I made or come up with your own, though there are tons of educational games for kids available for iPad.

D

It was a joke buddy. I don't need anything fixed, thanks.

I have two little cousins who are autistic. Both of them can't talk and one in particular can only scream to communicate. I've been at weddings, funerals and birthday parties with these kids, and when they start to scream their dad (most often) picks them up and carries them out until they stop screaming.

The little girl gets stressed out when she's around too many people, and when her mom brings her to her aunties house, and when the kid has enough and starts getting upset/uneasy her mother brings her out to the car and puts on a dvd in the car. She's 7 and this is how they cope when she's getting herself too upset.

She's gone missing at birthday parties because she just wants to get away from people, and she's always found in the bathroom. She gets into the bath by herself because that's her favourite place.

That's the extent of my experience of children that have autism, but it's more for the child that she's removed than for everybody else but when they're out, they are aware the kids can get upset and they have steps in place to deal with that.

It's a bit concerning that a parent would leave their autistic child in a setting that was distressing them so as they could finish their lunch, tbh

Utter nonsense, iPads are great tools for kids and getting used to technology at a very young age is very beneficial as their entire life will be lived using all forms of technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Brobromococo

I am so surprised at the amount of people who are happy to discourage any parent engaging with their child positively. I see so many parents ignoring their children because they are busy on phones and slap a tablet in front of their child instead of teaching them to engage appropriately. I think if you have a problem with a child laughing you should be the one to move. Is it more important that you eat your meal quietly at the expense of a child's happiness for a few minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

http://youtu.be/4Ombfnpa75E

Experiment in a restaurant to see the reactions of diners to a kid with autism.

Gives some faith in humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

goz I have to ask, why do you say this?

It's not so much giving them an iPad "to shut them up", but rather to entertain themselves. They can do colouring or maths or play a game on it or whatever. I really don't see the issue some people have with children and technology.

Honestly, letting them play educational games on a pad is ok sometimes, but that was not what came across in the post I was replying to. I often see kids zoned into ipads watching peppa pig on youtube and i find it to be disturbing, lazy parenting.
    I love this thread :D

"Have you got kids? I certainly hope not. Only bad parents let their kids play with iPads"

Coming from the camp of where other people don't matter and should leave an establishment if they're offended by screaming children

:D:D

Who are you to tell anyone how to parent??

Oh i'm not telling people how to parent. I've got my own lot to take care of. But judging by some of the responses on here, i sincerely hope they are coming from people who don't have kids. And I didn't say that only bad parents let their kids play on pads....so don't be twisting my words.
    Ahh right on cue! Just the kind of passive aggressive nonsense to illustrate the point! Well done!

You're really not making any sense. Put away the wine for tonight. Come back tomorrow.

It was a joke buddy. I don't need anything fixed, thanks.

Ability to tell jokes. It really wasn't obvious.

I am so surprised at the amount of people who are happy to discourage any parent engaging with their child positively. I see so many parents ignoring their children because they are busy on phones and slap a tablet in front of their child instead of teaching them to engage appropriately. I think if you have a problem with a child laughing you should be the one to move. Is it more important that you eat your meal quietly at the expense of a child's happiness for a few minutes?

Nobody in this thread has said, nor even suggested anything that would indicate they have any issue with children laughing. It's the attitudes of some people who believe they are entitled to act the same way in public as they do at home, without any consideration for other people!

That attitude is fine when they're in their own home, but different standards apply when they're out in a public shared space where it isn't all about them, they are obliged to be considerate of other people. If their attitude is that they don't have to be considerate of other people, then they cannot justifiably expect that other people should offer them any consideration.

It's that simple. It's not the child's behaviour that's the issue, it's the adults behaviour is the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

This is getting ridiculous, The baby presumably did not have any medical issue. It was the father acting the d*ck nothing more. Why the hyperbole of kids with Autism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Parents should shut their kids up when in a communal environment. When they are off the scale I mean.

How any parent would not be embarrassed by screaming or meltdowns is beyond me. Take them out somewhere else please. For your sake, the child's sake and everyone else's sake TBH.

And I have a nephew with CP and autism who is a lovely kid, but has his moments. His parents would always take him out of an environment where he is not happy and causing upset to those around him, who often do not understand what is going on.

He is an adorable child. But his needs are equal to others when out socialising. His parents understand this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement