Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Not everybody loves your child.

And the ones who do give a damn about your tot, we want you to also respect the child's ability to cope in public, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

screamer wrote: »
    And do you think that parents want their child to cry and be upset? have you ever been on the receiving end of a nosy old busy body giving you daggers or smart comments? If not let me tell you the last thing you need is some busy body coming to your table telling you to keep it down. Babies don't have volume switches in case you don't know.

Ya but people have to right to have their meal in comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Ok. I've gone to an eating house on my one hour lunch break
    I've been seated beside you and your baby
    You've had your food and now your enjoying your coffee and your playing peek a boo with your baby and she's shrieking with delight as described by the OP
    I really wanted to listen to the News at One on my headphones but your shrieking baby means I can't hear.
    So I plug out the headphones and just turn up the volume on my iPhone to max and place it on the table so I can listen and eat
    Now your baby is crying because the radio is so loud.
    Is that ok?
    Yes so long as you can find the volume switch on my baby same as your iPad.. ...

Seriously the last few posts just prove what I said the attitude towards babies children and families in restaurants in Ireland stinks.

Speedwell wrote: »
    And the ones who do give a damn about your tot, we want you to also respect the child's ability to cope in public, please.

:confused:

Ya but people have to right to have their meal in comfort.

In your head maybe in the real world I know if no peaceful meal law.......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

And do you think that parents want their child to cry and be upset? have you ever been on the receiving end of a nosy old busy body giving you daggers or smart comments? If not let me tell you the last thing you need is some busy body coming to your table telling you to keep it down. Babies don't have volume switches in case you don't know.

I've seen plenty of parents ignore their infants crying. Not small babies but definitely two and three year olds.

You didn't answer my question - if a child is bawling, and obviously upset, the parents are stressed out over it and the other diners are having their meals spoiled by it, what is the benefit in staying?

Literally no one is enjoying themselves.

:confused:

Nobody is asking you to care about other people's children, Alan, but I do in fact care about them, and when someone is too damn selfish to take care of their children's social and emotional needs in a public place (including respectfully and gently isolating a child having a meltdown), it makes me think the parent doesn't care about their own child.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

Nobody is objecting to kids being in a restaurant. The point is, if an infant is bawling (s)he obviously isn't having a good time, the parents will struggle to have a good time and the other diners nearby won't have a good time.

So who actually benefits in your scenario?

But in this case the baby was laughing and excited... not crying!

Speedwell wrote: »
    Nobody is asking you to care about other people's children, Alan, but I do in fact care about them, and when someone is too damn selfish to take care of their children's social and emotional needs in a public place (including respectfully and gently isolating a child having a meltdown), it makes me think the parent doesn't care about their own child.

I think we are on the same side here.

AryaStark wrote: »

Exactly so evict the family with a happy baby evict the family with a crying baby...... so others can have a peaceful meal and the family can go hungry..... nice people really nice.

• Advertisement

The decibel level can still be the same.

In that particular scenario, I think it would have been more courteous of the parent to play a quieter game with his child.

It's not the law, screamer, but it is manners.

Exactly so evict the family with a happy baby evict the family with a crying baby...... so others can have a peaceful meal and the family can go hungry..... nice people really nice.

What do you suggest instead, get the restaurant to supply ear plugs!!!

What do you suggest instead, get the restaurant to supply ear plugs!!!

If it makes old curmudgeons happy then why not

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

In your head maybe in the real world I know if no peaceful meal law.......

It's just basic consideration for other people. You mentioned earlier Ireland's "stinking" attitude to babies and families, but if you're going to come out with nonsense like the above, you should expect the same attitude in return. You're not the only person in that scenario and in the real world, the world doesn't revolve around you and your children.

Ageist now are we.

It's just basic consideration for other people. You mentioned earlier Ireland's "stinking" attitude to babies and families, but if you're going to come out with nonsense like the above, you should expect the same attitude in return. You're not the only person in that scenario and in the real world, the world doesn't revolve around you and your children.

I wish I could have said it this well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

That's like saying we could just gag your baby too so!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nice to see you keep things in proportion... :rolleyes:

In that particular scenario, I think it would have been more courteous of the parent to play a quieter game with his child.

It's not the law, screamer, but it is manners.

I look forward to your best seller on quieter games to control babies reaction in public and other social settings ..... ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I've seen plenty of parents ignore their infants crying. Not small babies but definitely two and three year olds.

You didn't answer my question - if a child is bawling, and obviously upset, the parents are stressed out over it and the other diners are having their meals spoiled by it, what is the benefit in staying?

Literally no one is enjoying themselves.

so teach 2 and 3 year olds that when they are bored or don't want to do something, all they have to do is cry for a bit and the rest of the family will drop everything and leave. What could possibly go wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    so teach 2 and 3 year olds that when they are bored or don't want to do something, all they have to do is cry for a bit and the rest of the family will drop everything and leave. What could possibly go wrong with that?

Very true statement to be fair.

There has to be a balance.

Ageist now are we.

As are a lot of people here with problems with babies it seems.

Are you for real?

Nobody is suggesting letting a family go hungry, but if your kids aren't old enough or well-behaved enough to enjoy a meal out at reasonable volumes for other diners you could

- cook at home
    - enjoy a lovely takeaway
    - get a babysitter/granny/uncle/aunt to feed the kids while you have a lovely night out with your OH

What you're basically saying is your 'right' to have an enjoyable meal out on your terms is more important than that of all the other people in the restaurant who just want to enjoy a nice meal.

As I said earlier, when you go out you choose a place as much for the ambience as for the food, so loud screaming (happy or sad) would totally ruin that.

As are a lot of people here with problems with babies it seems.

I think a lot of us don't have a problem with the poor kid trying to learn to be a human in public. We have a problem with the parents who have failed to learn to be humans in public.

It's just basic consideration for other people.

Pity that consideration doesn't extend to the family with a small child isn't it.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

In that particular scenario, I think it would have been more courteous of the parent to play a quieter game with his child. .

Mime would be good :p

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Pity that consideration doesn't extend to the family with a small child isn't it.......

I feel very sorry for the child in the scenario who is being dragged somewhere it doesn't want to be because it's parents want to be there. I've never heard a three-year-old say "Let's go somewhere nice for lunch" Stop pretending this is an attack on the child, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Thelomen Toblackai

I think everyone should be respectful of other people in public and part of that is not being overly loud. If the father was doing something that was causing the kid to make noise the woman was dead right to ask him to stop.

It's just a pity someone had to actually say it to him and he didn't have enough cop on to understand it himself.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement