Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

http://youtu.be/4Ombfnpa75E

Experiment in a restaurant to see the reactions of diners to a kid with autism.

Gives some faith in humanity.

Those videos are set up, they're supposed to give some faith in humanity for people who have no faith in humanity. Those videos aren't necessary for people who already know that not everyone in society behaves like the world should revolve around them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

goz83 wrote: »
    Honestly, letting them play educational games on a pad is ok sometimes, but that was not what came across in the post I was replying to. I often see kids zoned into ipads watching peppa pig on youtube and i find it to be disturbing, lazy parenting.

Oh i'm not telling people how to parent. I've got my own lot to take care of. But judging by some of the responses on here, i sincerely hope they are coming from people who don't have kids. And I didn't say that only bad parents let their kids play on pads....so don't be twisting my words.

Oh yeah the horror of technology. We went for dinner earlier and kids did play games before meal. When you have to wait for food that is very convenient way to keep them calm bad parenting as it might be. Of course that was after we had an hour and a half long walk together when the younger was allowed to scream and cry as much as she wanted because we wouldn't carry her. Unlike in restaurant there were no people around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Those videos are set up, they're supposed to give some faith in humanity for people who have no faith in humanity. Those videos aren't necessary for people who already know that not everyone in society behaves like the world should revolve around them.

The fact is that actually does happen, a lot. That and worse. The video is supposed to highlight it and create awareness, nothing more.

Is Carly Fleichmanns video in the same world revolves around us category?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

I am so surprised at the amount of people who are happy to discourage any parent engaging with their child positively. I see so many parents ignoring their children because they are busy on phones and slap a tablet in front of their child instead of teaching them to engage appropriately. I think if you have a problem with a child laughing you should be the one to move. Is it more important that you eat your meal quietly at the expense of a child's happiness for a few minutes?

I think it's great that a dad was taking the time to play with his kid and make him laugh. All kids deserve that kind of love and attention. Do I think he could have chosen a better place to play his game? Absolutely. I'm glad you're bonding with your kid sir, but I've got 25 minutes to myself to eat lunch and I want a bit of peace for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I am so surprised at the amount of people who are happy to discourage any parent engaging with their child positively. I see so many parents ignoring their children because they are busy on phones and slap a tablet in front of their child instead of teaching them to engage appropriately. I think if you have a problem with a child laughing you should be the one to move. Is it more important that you eat your meal quietly at the expense of a child's happiness for a few minutes?

This wasn't about a child laughing. It was a child screeching and being encouraged to do so over and over by their father in a confined space where other people were trying to enjoy a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

:D

Love babies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Parents should shut their kids up when in a communal environment.

Oh totally agree, sadly we can't smack kids anymore, so a more scientific method is required. Luckily there is help available, in the form of a specially designed, low voltage taser:
    http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/taser-for-kids.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,923 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Oh totally agree, sadly we can't smack kids anymore, so a more scientific method is required. Luckily there is help available, in the form of a specially designed, low voltage taser:
    http://www.ufunk.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/taser-for-kids.jpg

Just taking them into the relevant jax would do TBH lol.

God help anyone there doing their bz though.

Kids are too coddled nowadays. Not like in my day har har.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The fact is that actually does happen, a lot. That and worse. The video is supposed to highlight it and create awareness, nothing more.

Is Carly Fleichmanns video in the same world revolves around us category?

If as you say "it happens a lot" (I have no way to quantify what you mean by 'a lot'), then people are already aware of autism. In fact, so aware are some people of autism, that when my son kicked off outside a polling station because he wasn't allowed vote, my wife was giving him a stern talking to when an old lady came over to her and said -

"Leave him alone, he could be autistic!"

I had to calm my wife down before she lost it with the old lady! :pac:

I'm aware that it happens, I'm aware that people can be impatient and inconsiderate, I'm aware that everyone isn't going to understand every little tick and twitch and the multitude of other traits associated with autism. But y'know what? I'm also aware that the vast, vast, vast majority of people in society are good people!

I'm aware of the care almost to the point of smothering the children, that the children in my son's class in school, the whole school really, look out for, and are ferociously protective of a number of children that are on the spectrum. They don't do it because they have to be told to. They do it because they want to. Because they want children on the spectrum to feel like they are included and that they are cared for and that they are treated with the same dignity and respect as everyone else.

The Carly Fleischmann video is in the same "the world revolves around me" category, because the film is all about Carly Fleischmann's world, and her experience of being autistic. Her experiences may be worlds apart from someone else's experience of being autistic. That's why it's called a spectrum, because every person with autism is going to experience the world differently, from their perspective.

I've worked with adults and children with special needs/differently abled, whatever terminology you prefer to use, for much of my adult life, and because I don't define them by that one trait or ability, I treat them the same as I would anyone else. If we're in a restaurant having a meal, consideration and making allowances for other people always goes both ways.

Some people don't understand that, and they're usually people that aren't on the spectrum. Their disability is their bad attitude and their lack of consideration for other people, but thankfully that's a lot less common in society than any classified cognitive, emotional, behavioral or physical disability.

And a very useful tool when people come over and give you grief is to smile politely, nod at them sagely and tell them to Foxtrot Oscar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 dialer

There is no right or wrong. It's all about perspective.

Perfect, +1 to poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

I can't believe a baby had the attention span to play peekaboo for 10 minutes. That's a long time for a baby. Are you sure it didn't just feel like 10 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

It works both ways. We go to a fast food place once a week after the rush with our 3 month old. Get him a little vitamin D and give us a chance to get out of the house. Today when we went there were a rowdy bunch of drunk 20 somethings shouting and roaring. After a few minutes of that our lad started roaring.

I guess it's a chance you take when going to such a public place. Be it with screaming kids, drunken yobs or screeching teenagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Let's just say I only knew Ireland from AH on Boards.ie, I would now ask the question, how are there not mass brawls on every street corner every day?
    How do you people actually live with each other? There should be mass casualties and civil war in this country every week.
    I can only assume that apart from the absolute cranks on here, the real people of Ireland are actually somewhat tolerant of each other...

Was in Corsica years ago. Met an old man who said he liked the Irish as they were just as passionate about issues as the Corsican people were :D

mikeym wrote: »
    :D

Love babies.

Yeah but could never eat a whole one ...

gozunda wrote: »
    Yeah but could never eat a whole one ...

Just invite some friends round:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/HowTo:Cook_Children

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We had lunch out with our 16 month old today. I smiled a bit thinking about this thread when a woman sitting at an opposite table started a game of peekaboo with him behind her menu. He was giving proper little belly laughs at her and she came up to say hi before she left. They made each other smile :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Young babies don't need to be going to restaurants.

Whispered wrote: »
    We had lunch out with our 16 month old today. I smiled a bit thinking about this thread when a woman sitting at an opposite table started a game of peekaboo with him behind her menu. He was giving proper little belly laughs at her and she came up to say hi before she left. They made each other smile :)

A lot of the posters here would probably have come over and told you to remove your baby from the restaurant because he was making noise...:rolleyes:
    (Glad some people are still human)

I prefer to eat out tbh :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

Speedwell wrote: »
    I agree. My brain is wired differently from most women's, but from what I have heard and seen from mothers close to me, women react even more strongly than men (for example, one of my friends was a professional foster mother for an adoption agency who was able to breastfeed the foster babies, and she said that hearing the crying of a new foster baby usually triggered a milk letdown). Babies' cries evolved to get your attention RIGHT NOW and make you want to do something to make the baby stop RIGHT NOW. I really think that it's just more permissible for men to show their irritation. Women showing the same level of irritation would be looked at as potentially or actually poor mothers.

Where was this foster mother who breastfed? In Ireland? I heard it was possible for someone who didn't give birth to breastfeed but never encountered it, is it common?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

meeeeh wrote: »
    Oh yeah the horror of technology. We went for dinner earlier and kids did play games before meal. When you have to wait for food that is very convenient way to keep them calm bad parenting as it might be. Of course that was after we had an hour and a half long walk together when the younger was allowed to scream and cry as much as she wanted because we wouldn't carry her. Unlike in restaurant there were no people around.

You obviously didn't read my post. Go back, read it...maybe twice, to be sure. But just in case you decide you can't do that, or fail to understand it again...let me say it another way.

Its ok to let kids play on pads sometimes. Technology is not a horror, but sometimes lazy parents pawn their kids off to a mindless game, or youtube channel to shut them up. Its no better than feeding them junk sweets to appease them in the short term, but in the long run, both are unhealthy and cause problems.

Your description of the long walk and dinner and the (presumably) minimal gaming time is perfectly fine and nothing i would baulk at.

goz83 wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read my post. Go back, read it...maybe twice, to be sure. But just in case you decide you can't do that, or fail to understand it again...let me say it another way.

Yowza! Usually it's only a few words or maybe a sentence, but a whole paragraph?! Maybe dial back the passive aggressiveness if you want people to be more sympathetic to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Young babies don't need to be going to restaurants.

either do adults, whats your point?

Parents with children should be locked away inside?

Ireland has a terrible attitude towards kids being in public spaces.

In mainy countries they will be in restaurants, pubs, etc and far from discouraging it, the places will have play areas.

I think the point made was that adults go to restaurants for social reasons and to enjoy eating out ... babies are brought along with parents and whilst the they enjoy eating and gooing at things- they would just as happily eat and goo goo at anything anywhere ...

esforum wrote: »

Some parents here appear to have a terrible attitude / lack of consideration for others in public spaces
    In mainy countries they will be in restaurants, pubs, etc and far from discouraging it, the places will have play areas.

Parents with children in many other countries in my experience do behave with consideration to others in restaurants, pubs etc (personally I do not like to see children in pubs)

either do adults, whats your point?

Yes lock them away, that's what I said.

Plenty of places for kids to enjoy themselves rather than an adult orientated eating place.

As you say, in Ireland we rarely have dedicated play areas. Parents should be aware of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Ahh seriously, the father just probably got caught up in the moment and didn't even realise how loud they were being. Id say he was just a bit taken back by the woman coming over. Some people have a low tolerance for noise so it was a bit inconsiderate but not the end of the world. Like others have said, it's not limited to children.

I personally would not have said anything. It would have to take some amount of noise for that to bother me. I can't say I've ever heard a baby laugh that I would describe as a shriek. Usually to me anyway it sounds more like an uncontrollable chuckle. Anyway the woman felt the need to go and say something and he stopped so fair enough.

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Ahh seriously, the father just probably got caught up in the moment and didn't even realise how loud they were being. Id say he was just a bit taken back by the woman coming over. Some people have a low tolerance for noise so it was a bit inconsiderate but not the end of the world. Like others have said, it's not limited to children.

I personally would not have said anything. It would have to take some amount of noise for that to bother me. I can't say I've ever heard a baby laugh that I would describe as a shriek. Usually to me anyway it sounds more like an uncontrollable chuckle. Anyway the woman felt the need to go and say something and he stopped so fair enough.

Like this perhaps?

https://youtu.be/xmLrPuToi9E

Looks like the issue is fairly widespread tbh ..

https://youtu.be/76joHX2IOFc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

gozunda wrote: »

Doesn't sound like the reaction to a game of peekaboo!

• Advertisement

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Doesn't sound like the reaction to a game of peekaboo!

But does sound like the OPS description of the noise the child in question made ..
    The dad was playing a game where he hid behind a napkin and then peeped out and the baby would start shrieking with delight. This went on for about ten minutes and the screams were getting really ear piercing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement