Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jayop wrote: »
    No, but we all gave passive aggressive humphs and loud tuts.

:D

you brutes

I think there's a difference. a Kids Club is specifically aimed at children, a place like McDonalds or Pizza Hut gives equal priority to children and adults so parents need to keep this in mind.

Good god... lighten up.

Let the kids enjoy their happy meals while you head off to Chapter One.

You must be the first person I've ever heard of seeking a solemn dining experience in McDonalds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

lawred2 wrote: »
    Good god... lighten up.

Let the kids enjoy their happy meals while you head off to Chapter One.

You must be the first person I've ever heard of seeking a solemn dining experience in McDonalds.

What are you on about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

I think there's a difference. a Kids Club is specifically aimed at children, a place like McDonalds or Pizza Hut gives equal priority to children and adults so parents need to keep this in mind.

The last time I was in McDonalds and with 3 kids, its common enough, they did not in fact serve alcohol, have a person in a costume playing with the adults nor had an over 18 only area for the adults to play

McDonalds is not an even steven location, its for kids!

What are you on about?

It's fairly clear what I am 'on about'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

The vehemence of some of the posting here truly confirms the old saying that common sense is not very common. There is no way anyone should have to listen to someone else's noise whether it is emanating from their gobs or their children's'. Kids cry all the time. Anyone who has had kids can tell you it is because they are either, tired, hungry, dirty or in pain. If you can't sort it quickly you get yourself somewhere you are not making a nuisance of yourself.
    I have spent enough lunchtimes walking the streets near where the rest of my family were enjoying lunch to enjoy lunch without 100 decibel screaming coming from the next table. I have no problem with temporary blips, it happens us all. But continual screaming? That is on the same level as people who thought they had a right to smoke over their food and everyone else's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

It's fairly clear what I am 'on about'.

No, I genuinely don't understand how my saying " Ithink in a McDonalds or Pizza Hut you have to expect lots of kids chatting, raising their voices excitedly etc" translates to 'wanting a solemn dining experience in McDonalds'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Deise Vu wrote: »
    The vehemence of some of the posting here truly confirms the old saying that common sense is not very common. There is no way anyone should have to listen to someone else's noise whether it is emanating from their gobs or their children's'. Kids cry all the time. Anyone who has had kids can tell you it is because they are either, tired, hungry, dirty or in pain. If you can't sort it quickly you get yourself somewhere you are not making a nuisance of yourself.
    I have spent enough lunchtimes walking the streets near where the rest of my family were enjoying lunch to enjoy lunch without 100 decibel screaming coming from the next table. I have no problem with temporary blips, it happens us all. But continual screaming? That is on the same level as people who thought they had a right to smoke over their food and everyone else's.

you didnt read the thread did you?

The father was playing with the child, the child was happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

esforum wrote: »
    you didnt read the thread did you?

The father was playing with the child, the child was happy

The point remains the same. People are paying their hard earned to enjoy their lunch. Listening to a child scream is emphatically not enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Seems to me the father was deliberately exciting the child and getting the baby revved up because he was in his own world and he should have had a bit more cop on.

That having been said, it isn't something I'd cross a restaurant to give out about but if you're in a restaurant and what you're doing is making a child excitable and loud you should probably have a bit more awareness of your surroundings.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

FTA69 wrote: »
    Seems to me the father was deliberately exciting the child and getting the baby revved up because he was in his own world and he should have had a bit more cop on.

That having been said, it isn't something I'd cross a restaurant to give out about but if you're in a restaurant and what you're doing is making a child excitable and loud you should probably have a bit more awareness of your surroundings.

I can live with that. Consensus?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I can live with that. Consensus?

I think that was the consensus from the get go but a few select people have turned it into fantastical world in which angry mobs were baying for the baby to be mercilessly crucified for having the audacity to laugh, and his father hung drawn and quartered for attempting to play with his child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

This thread made me wonder, why would anyone want to go to McDonald's unless they have kids. It's not like food is any good.

Honestly wouldn't mind if its just dad playing with his kid, they're both happy, I think it's a positive thing. I like happy people, even if its a bit rambunctious.
    Its different if a baby is screaming for hours and the parents ignore it. Not just the noise, more like "look after your child, WTF is wrong with you".

edit:
    It's all about perspective. I remember the meal after my Father's funeral, there was a crowd at the next table celebrating something. One of them had a guitar and they were singing loudly what a beautiful day it was. It actually cheered me up, because my father would have seen the funny side of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Jesus Bellabella, you've started a thread complaining about a kid laughing in a restaurant.

It's a family restaurant (they had high chairs) not an opera, get over yourself and cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

meeeeh wrote: »
    This thread made me wonder, why would anyone want to go to McDonald's unless they have kids. It's not like food is any good.

And that point always makes me wonder why someone would carefully feed and ween a child and then bring them to mcdos. It a weird thing alright ....

gozunda wrote: »
    And that point always makes me wonder why someone would carefully feed and ween a child and then bring them to mcdos. It a weird thing alright ....

You don't have kids do you? We managed to avoid the place till the older one started school, after that forget about it, they hear from other kids about this magic place...

You don't have kids do you? We managed to avoid the place till the older one started school, after that forget about it, they hear from other kids about this magic place...

Presume much? I don't live within a miles Fart of a mcdos thankfully and wouldn't go there if you paid me. Pester power can be negated with decent parenting skills imo. But as this thread demonstrates and someone commented common sense doesn't seem to be that common.

Bit of Micky D's every now and then is alright. It's if you live of the stuff you have trouble. :D

Presume much? I don't live within a miles Fart of a mcdos thankfully and wouldn't go there if you paid me. Pester power can be negated with decent patenting skills imo. But as this thread demonstrates and someone commented common sense doesn't seem to be that common.
    Riiight. You know what, I prefer to give in every so often. It makes them happy. It's not like they get fried food at home

• Advertisement

McDs is a rite of passage for most children.

Anyone denying their kids or advocating against someone else taking their kids on the occasional trip to McDs is a miserable killjoy.

It's when it becomes a weekly or even more frequent thing that it becomes a problem.

Riiight. You know what, I prefer to give in every so often. It makes them happy. It's not like they get fried food at home

Ye reckon that it's 'fried' the problem? :eek:. Pester power, like screaming, shrieking etc can be managed for the benefit of all. Tbh I'm not a great fan of the neo liberal attitude to don't dare say 'no' to little Johny because that will cramp his free expression or something

I see you said that "its not like food is any good" and yet some would feed to their darling offspring :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

esforum wrote: »
    lets turn this.

Say I go out for dinner with my wife and child, the child falls asleep but we are sitting beside a large party celebrating, can I tell them to shut the **** up?

What if we are withour our child but want a quiet meal together. Can I similarily decide to make the restaurant speak at a level I dictate?

Lets remember this thread is about a child being held by a parent, not running around the place and hiding under strangers tables.

Restaurants are for sleeping now ? I would get kicked out if I fell asleep in a one. Ridiculous comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Ye reckon that it's 'fried' the problem? :eek:. Pester power, like screaming, shrieking etc can be managed for the benefit of all. Tbh I'm not a great fan of the neo liberal attitude to don't dare say 'no' to little John because that will cramp his free expression or something

I see you said that "its not like food is any good" and yet some would feed to their darling offspring :rolleyes:

Jesus, get off your high horse. He was talking about an occasional McDonald's - not force feeding the child lard on a continual basis.

McDs is a rite of passage for most children.

Anyone denying their kids or advocating against someone else taking their kids on the occasional trip to McDs is a miserable killjoy.

It's when it becomes a weekly or even more frequent thing that it becomes a problem.

Well it was meeeeh that said it was crap. Not me :D

So we can add minding your child's long term diet and health (as not in forming bad habits) as well as expecting parents to manage their children's behaviour as all killjoys can we?

Lawred I'm begining to suspect a rat tbh. What age are you? Are you pretending to be your parent by any chance ;)

Jesus, get off your high horse. He was talking about an occasional McDonald's - not force feeding the child lard on a continual basis.

Kunst nugget (as in chicken mcnugget by any chance? :D) it's a little lighter relief after the floods of indignant screaming children in this thread. Do lighten up old chap ;)

Ye reckon that it's 'fried' the problem? :eek:. Pester power, like screaming, shrieking etc can be managed for the benefit of all. Tbh I'm not a great fan of the neo liberal attitude to don't dare say 'no' to little John because that will cramp his free expression or something

I actually don't know why exactly am I explaining myself to you. It's not like I would want my kids or myself anywhere near someone like you or have your attitude.

I actually don't know why exactly am I explaining myself to you. It's not like I would want my kids or myself anywhere near someone like you or have your attitude.

Ohh that's a bit personal. It's remains that others on this forum find that the presence of screaming/shrieking children very very unpleasant in enclosed areas and agree with the OP. Especially where they are not free to get up and move away and some parents either don't see a problem or couldn't be bothered to manage such behaviour.

Tbh it appears to be much easier to demonise anyone (see your post) who holds an opposing viewpoint -rather than arguing just try and understand some people do not appreciate the born again free school of parenting and do not wish to be forced to share such experiences.

Ah got it you came to that conclusion from my replies yesterday in this thread. As I said why bother.

• Advertisement

Ah got it you came to that conclusion from my replies yesterday in this thread. As I said why bother.

I was speaking in general but yes
    I think if you check I 'got it' from your last post re.

Thanks ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement