Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

I'm sat in a bar at the moment trying to watch the football. There are about 12 coffin dodgers behind me eating, laughing and joking. If their not quieter soon their coffin dodging days may be numbered...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Restaurants are for sleeping now ? I would get kicked out if I fell asleep in a one. Ridiculous comment.

If your a kid everywhere is for sleeping and at anytime...except a bed...and except bedtime! 😜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

If your a kid everywhere is for sleeping and at anytime...except a bed...and except bedtime! 😜

Unfortunately not the case, You can be kicked out if management decide. My point was on the complaining if the kid got woke up. A restaurant is for eating and drinking. Child friendly does not = child takes precedent over everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Unfortunately not the case, You can be kicked out if management decide. My point was on the complaining if the kid got woke up. A restaurant is for eating and drinking. Child friendly does not = child takes precedent over everyone else.

you actually cant just be removed because 'management decide' and I assure you, a child sleeping will not result in people being removed. unless you are the manager apparantly, at which point anyone laughing, talking, urinating or doing anything other than eating and drinking shall be fortwith flung out the door by the head it seems.
    Restaurants are for sleeping now ? I would get kicked out if I fell asleep in a one. Ridiculous comment.

You are not a child are you?

Should we **** kids out of places now when they **** themselves as well?

What happens if they need to be fed a jar or breast fed? Sure if you sucked on a tit or brought your own food you would be kicked out so the same for the kid surely?
    I can live with that. Consensus?
    Yes actually but alas the lynch mod still seems to be baying for the blood of the innocent here
    I think that was the consensus from the get go but a few select people have turned it into fantastical world in which angry mobs were baying for the baby to be mercilessly crucified for having the audacity to laugh, and his father hung drawn and quartered for attempting to play with his child.

This, this was the issue from the start

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Please find me a restaurant that will kick a small child out for falling asleep. Just so I can go along and point and laugh at the owners for being complete freaks.

I may even shriek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

I don't mean that management think it's ok. What I mean is if your a kid you will fall asleep anywhere at anytime whether it's acceptable or not. If your a kid you don't care. It can be quiet sudden and it can even be while sitting up! I didn't say it's ok although I must admit I would not reprimand my child for falling asleep in a public place but I would at the very least raise an eyebrow if I seen an adult doing the same! It was also supposed to be a light hearted comment but I should have known better. Place is full of contrarians

esforum wrote: »
    you actually cant just be removed because 'management decide' and I assure you, a child sleeping will not result in people being removed. unless you are the manager apparantly, at which point anyone laughing, talking, urinating or doing anything other than eating and drinking shall be fortwith flung out the door by the head it seems.

You are not a child are you?

Should we **** kids out of places now when they **** themselves as well?

What happens if they need to be fed a jar or breast fed? Sure if you sucked on a tit or brought your own food you would be kicked out so the same for the kid surely?

Yes actually but alas the lynch mod still seems to be baying for the blood of the innocent here

This, this was the issue from the start

I think you will find you can be moved/kicked out refused service if management decide. You abide by what management decide. We have laws for discrimination so don't try going down that rout. A place of business that does not supply sleeping quarters is not for sleeping. You can be asked to leave simple as. You are deliberately missing the point about the child being woken up. The child's rights do not extend to them being allowed to have a quite nap undisturbed. It's not a hotel room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

OK, I am not going back over pages of horribleness and drivel, are we now proposing kicking children out of a restaurant for having a nap?
    Because that's beyond fcuked up, mister.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

I think we can pull the stopper on this thread.

I think you will find you can be moved/kicked out refused service if management decide. You abide by what management decide. We have laws for discrimination so don't try going down that rout. A place of business that does not supply sleeping quarters is not for sleeping. You can be asked to leave simple as. You are deliberately missing the point about the child being woken up. The child's rights do not extend to them being allowed to have a quite nap undisturbed. It's not a hotel room.

ah ok so rules number 2 folks, for anyone listening.

When Dark makes a comment he is free to restrict what rules and laws you can use to contradict his silliness.

thats after rule number 1 which is evidently that children are now to be treated like adults

• Advertisement

OK, I am not going back over pages of horribleness and drivel, are we now proposing kicking children out of a restaurant for having a nap?

No, Someone made the ridiculous statement of thier kid sleeping in a restaurant and being woken up could they complain about the noise. I stated they do not have the right to sleep in the restaurant and no right to complain. Fairly basic, People are just jumping on kicking a sleeping kid out the restaurant though. I stated if I fell asleep in a restaurant I would be kicked out. Restaurants are not in the business of supply an atmosphere where one can sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

No, Someone made the ridiculous statement of thier kid sleeping in a restaurant and being woken up could they complain about the noise. I stated they do not have the right to sleep in the restaurant and no right to complain. Fairly basic, People are just jumping on kicking a sleeping kid out the restaurant though. I stated if I fell asleep in a restaurant I would be kicked out. Restaurants are not in the business of supply an atmosphere where one can sleep.

Fair enough. Don't think anyone would complain that their kid couldn't sleep in a restaurant. Very hypothetical scenario.
    If you get kicked out for having a bit of a kip, well that's another matter. :D

esforum wrote: »
    ah ok so rules number 2 folks, for anyone listening.

When Dark makes a comment he is free to restrict what rules and laws you can use to contradict his silliness.

thats after rule number 1 which is evidently that children are now to be treated like adults

What are you on about, You made the ridiculous comment about management not being able to move you. They have the right to do what they like bar breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Despite all the allusions to that scenario -that is not what the poster has referred to as far as I can see. Tbh serious amounts of twisting has gone on to try and demonise anybody stating an objection to relentless type behaviour such as screaming/ shrieking children in places such as the restuarant detailed here and poor parental management of this type of behaviour..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

This thread is just getting daft.

To get back to the original post, where a young father was playing with his baby and exciting it to the point where it's screaming loudly enough to be annoying other customers for a prolonged period (yeah, ten minutes with a baby howling is a "prolonged period!"), it seems perfectly reasonable to me that someone should go over and ask him politely to calm things down with Small and Shrieky.

Sweet sufferin' Jaysus.

I began reading this thread with some interest. When it comes to children and families in restaurants there will always be strong opinions. So I was curious about how you all felt on the matter.

It turns out that somewhere along the way the discussion turned in to a "you must hate children" or it's companion "why must you be so inconsiderate of others when looking after your children". It also highlighted the lengths some people go to just to have their say and to be right.

From my perspective there really is no right or wrong in this debate. A loud screeching Child, be she laughing or crying or whatever, will of course drive plenty of people demented. There will also be those who couldn't care less. As for the father described in the OP, his behaviour will be seen by many as antagonising and selfish. It will also been seen by others as just a dad playing with his kid.

There are lots of people who exist on this planet. Babies, children, teenagers, adults, elderly. Each group with their own particular irritations. Everyone just living and coexisting. Sure lots of people exist in their own bubble oblivious to their surroundings. Such is life.

Manners and consideration for your environment and those around you cost nothing but because there will always be those who don't care about such things maybe the rest of us should chill out. It's a futile exercise to get our knickers in a twist.

Sweet sufferin' Jaysus.

I began reading this thread with some interest. When it comes to children and families in restaurants there will always be strong opinions. So I was curious about how you all felt on the matter.

It turns out that somewhere along the way the discussion turned in to a "you must hate children" or it's companion "why must you be so inconsiderate of others when looking after your children". It also highlighted the lengths some people go to just to have their say and to be right.

From my perspective there really is no right or wrong in this debate. A loud screeching Child, be she laughing or crying or whatever, will of course drive plenty of people demented. There will also be those who couldn't care less. As for the father described in the OP, his behaviour will be seen by many as antagonising and selfish. It will also been seen by others as just a dad playing with his kid.

There are lots of people who exist on this planet. Babies, children, teenagers, adults, elderly. Each group with their own particular irritations. Everyone just living and coexisting. Sure lots of people exist in their own bubble oblivious to their surroundings. Such is life.

Manners and consideration for your environment and those around you cost nothing but because there will always be those who don't care about such things maybe the rest of us should chill out. It's a futile exercise to get our knickers in a twist.

Nothing to do with chill out. The farther is the one to blame not the child. Manners are manners. Your child is not the centre of the universe to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Nothing to do with chill out. The farther is the one to blame not the child. Manners are manners. Your child is not the centre of the universe to others.

The child is the centre of HIS universe.

I don't know many/any parents who think their kids are the centre of the world and everyone else should be enthralled by them.

Some conclusion you have come to because a man was playing a game with his child, albeit to the annoyance of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The child is the centre of HIS universe.

I don't know many/any parents who think their kids are the centre of the world and everyone else should be enthralled by them.

Some conclusion you have come to because a man was playing a game with his child, albeit to the annoyance of others.

And so the child should be.
    And it's not the child to blame in the situation here. The father is the idiot. The child can be centre of his universe but he has no right to assume the restaurant is as entralled with his child's loud and persistent shrieks as he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

And to be fair there are plenty of parents who think their child is the centre of the universe and everyone else should be in awe of their bad behaviour - or is that self expression and spirited?

I've seen plenty of examples of naughty brats and disgusted parents with people not bowled over by how "cute" bad behaviour is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

And to be fair there are plenty of parents who think their child is the centre of the universe and everyone else should be in awe of their bad behaviour - or is that self expression and spirited?

I've seen plenty of examples of naughty brats and disgusted parents with people not bowled over by how "cute" bad behaviour is

People tend to be blind to the sometimes poor behaviour of their own smallies, and this is evolutionarily necessary or else no-one but the hardened sado-masochists among us would bother with the whole rigmarole at all. Some kids have lungs on them like a fog-signal, whether they're happy or sad, and I suppose I'd rather listen to a content, entertained foghorn than otherwise. I think what bothers us at least as much as the physical noise, on some subconscious level, is the idea that the child might be distressed or in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

Basically, the dad and his kid would have been adorable at the park, in the playground, in a ball pit, in their home or basically anywhere you go where kids being loud is expected.

If I'm on my lunch break, I don't want to hear it. Well, actually, there are days when I might laugh along. But most days I'd think the dad was inconsiderate. Just like I'd think someone being loud and obnoxious on their phone is inconsiderate.

What are you on about, You made the ridiculous comment about management not being able to move you. They have the right to do what they like bar breaking the law.

Read your own statements, you said management can kick you out if they want. I replied saying no, they cant just willy nilly refuse people and your reply was that I had to prove it but I wasnt allowed use any of the 9 parts of discrimination.

Had you made that distinction by saying "Management can refuse you within reason" then there would have been no issue butn your didnt.

Just like you tried to say that a child cant act in a manner that you cant by stating that if YOU slept in a restaurant you would be removed

using an adult as an example to justify your arguement against a child, now thats ridiculous

I think this thread needs a good dose of chill out.

Everyone is getting unbelievably wound up and for what? An loud baby in a restaurant? A father who may or may not have been acting badly?

Surely this is a tiny inconsequential event in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I think this thread needs a good dose of chill out.

Everyone is getting unbelievably wound up and for what? An loud baby in a restaurant? A father who may or may not have been acting badly?

Surely this is a tiny inconsequential event in the grand scheme of things.
    Are you advocating that children be encouraged to be needlessly loud?

Do you really despise everyone else that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

catbear wrote: »

I got a belt of a low-flying Strawman in the chipper last week - I got the hell out of there quare lively before things went all Reductio ad Hitlerum! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 34 rhabarbarum

Jesus this thread is out of control. As someone up there said, loud noise of any kind is expected in any kinds of parks and open café’s. In closed spaces it tends to reverberate and cause more far more distress. But really, situations like these are easily diffused with a bit of polite talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,672 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Of course, that's exactly what she's saying. That's how I picked it up too. When Persepoly was saying everyone needed to chill out, she was really saying that children should be encouraged to be needlessly loud :rolleyes:

I'm really starting to wonder how people have such difficulty with the english language.

Now. I wasn't clear in my opinion. I do believe the father was displaying disregard for the other people there if he was continuously winding his child up to the point of loud screeching laughter.

However the point I was trying, clumsily, to make was that perhaps some posters need to take a step back, remind themselves that these things happen all of the time, there will always be those unaware of others, and that this is just an internet forum. Opinions abound left right and centre.

Just like yours where you ask if I despise everyone. I don't and didn't mention anywhere that I did. After that I couldn't bothered getting all wound up and irritated over your comment.
    Life is to short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Yes, in the same way you're advocating that children have cloths shoved down their throats in restaurants/cafes (*chloroform optional*) because you despise children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement