Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

You tell him to stick to the facts then add the statement in bold???.

Talk about an exaggeration, it couldnt have been that loud the OP said in the first post that she wouldnt have said anything so it couldnt have been anything like your description.

OK is this good enough for you:

He fuckin wasn't. He was getting his kid to shriek like a banshee loudly in a restaurant, to the point where other patrons were uncomfortable/annoyed/angered

Is that ok? Now maybe you can continue your crusade by calling others out on their shabby attempts at redefining/exaggerating by claiming that people are complaining about children laughing or parents playing with their kids since you're so big on context.

banned

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

Shouldn't you be in school? Mid Term is still a couple of weeks away.

I'm not the one behaving like a spoiled teenager, but moan away

banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I'm not the one behaving like a spoiled teenager, but moan away

Hmm. I was talking about the Primary Schools' mid term break.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

HensVassal wrote: »
    OK is this good enough for you:

He fuckin wasn't. He was getting his kid to shriek like a banshee loudly in a restaurant, to the point where other patrons were uncomfortable/annoyed/angered

Is that ok? Now maybe you can continue your crusade by calling others out on their shabby attempts at redefining/exaggerating by claiming that people are complaining about children laughing or parents playing with their kids since you're so big on context.

Lol are you a real person?... you like to pull posters up on their use of context etc then hate it when its done to you.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

MOD
    Every post since the last mod note has been actioned for ignoring it. Every single one.

Get this back on topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

This is all so sad on a human level never mind the parents versus no parents aspect. In my opinion a direct result of the collapse of the community. People don't even know their neighbours anymore never mind a good chat over the back wall while hanging out the washing. Everyone's too involved in their own life and their own world that when anything comes along that penetrates their world or bubble they can't handle it.

It's really really sad!

This is all so sad on a human level never mind the parents versus no parents aspect. In my opinion a direct result of the collapse of the community. People don't even know their neighbours anymore never mind a good chat over the back wall while hanging out the washing. Everyone's too involved in their own life and their own world that when anything comes along that penetrates their world or bubble they can't handle it.

It's really really sad!

Thanks for getting it back on topic. I agree in general that the breakdown in community has had negative consequences. But I think that works both ways. Lots of people, including some parents of young children, live in a bubble that makes them totally unaware of others. I don't think it's a parent v non parent issue either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Children make noise, adults make noise. The noise of the child may have been on this occasion the loudest noise in the place but on other occasions a large family mighgt be the loudest, other couples, etc might be the loudest

Provided you can have a conversation with the other people at your table, the noise is acceptable. The OP clearly could as the other people at her table didnt even mind the childs sounds be them laughing or shrieking or whatever.

Maybe the Op doesnt have kids and her friends do, I dunno but it sounds like it too me.

The time is also a factor, it was lunchtime and its a public place that caters for children.

Theres plenty of places you wont find kids and there is plenty of places for kids. A coffee shop at lunchtime attached to a cultural / educational centre is neither however in the examples I used Malahide and Bunratty castle, they would have mini zoos and playgrounds so for me, are more assuredly leaning towards a family atmosphere, As the OP poitnedly wont name the location I can only assume its similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Thanks for getting it back on topic. I agree in general that the breakdown in community has had negative consequences. But I think that works both ways. Lots of people, including some parents of young children, live in a bubble that makes them totally unaware of others. I don't think it's a parent v non parent issue either.

I agree. My neighbour loses the head anytime we try to do anything in the house like hang a door say. During the day and at the weekend it doesn't matter. she has a meltdown and blares her TV to the point that we can hear it in every room in the house. It's expected now anytime we want to do something we're going to get a reaction but her dogs never shut up so I reckon we're even and I won't let her stop me from doing the things I need to do. I'm getting a new kitchen soon and I expect she will need to be institutionalised! That's on her though not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭thattequilagirl

It's nice when people are considerate of each other. People with kids should be considerate of people without kids, and people without kids should be considerate of people with kids.

It comes down to manners.

• Advertisement

It's nice when people are considerate of each other. People with kids should be considerate of people without kids, and people without kids should be considerate of people with kids.

It comes down to manners.

That sums it up really. It shouldn't always come down to what's 'allowed' or 'in the rules' and so on. People should just use a bit of cop on and consideration for whoever they happen to be sharing space with at any given time.

esforum wrote: »
    Children make noise, adults make noise. The noise of the child may have been on this occasion the loudest noise in the place but on other occasions a large family mighgt be the loudest, other couples, etc might be the loudest

Provided you can have a conversation with the other people at your table, the noise is acceptable. The OP clearly could as the other people at her table didnt even mind the childs sounds be them laughing or shrieking or whatever.

Maybe the Op doesnt have kids and her friends do, I dunno but it sounds like it too me.

The time is also a factor, it was lunchtime and its a public place that caters for children.

Theres plenty of places you wont find kids and there is plenty of places for kids. A coffee shop at lunchtime attached to a cultural / educational centre is neither however in the examples I used Malahide and Bunratty castle, they would have mini zoos and playgrounds so for me, are more assuredly leaning towards a family atmosphere, As the OP poitnedly wont name the location I can only assume its similar

I'm not naming the location as I don't think it's appropriate to. I don't really see how the actual specific restaurant matters. I've given a general description.

And it really isn't down to whether or not people have kids. Both the friends with me have children, and they both found the noise annoying. I don't know where you got the idea that neither of them minded the noise.
    In fact I've gone to great lengths to clarify that I think any group making loud noise in a restaurant that detracts from other people's enjoyment is unfair, whether it involves children or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

I'm not naming the location as I don't think it's appropriate to. I don't really see how the actual specific restaurant matters. I've given a general description.

And it really isn't down to whether or not people have kids. Both the friends with me have children, and they both found the noise annoying. I don't know where you got the idea that neither of them minded the noise.
    In fact I've gone to great lengths to clarify that I think any group making loud noise in a restaurant that detracts from other people's enjoyment is unfair, whether it involves children or not.

there is a big difference between adults and children making noise

adults should know better

it is not the same thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

I'd have much more tolerance on a weekday lunchtime than at any other time and the type of restaurant makes a big difference too. If its a McDonalds or a Pizza Hut then you have to expect screaming children but in a fancy place you are paying in part for the ambiance of the restaurant. In general kids laughing wouldn't bother me but I get that shrieking can be annoying. I was in the local pub a few weeks ago on a Friday night after work with my missus and a couple of teenage girls came in to a quiet pub and shrieked with laughter for a solid half an hour with no consideration for anyone else in the previously quiet bar. We, like almost all the others who were there, finished our drinks and went elsewhere.

lawred2 wrote: »
    there is a big difference between adults and children making noise

adults should know better

it is not the same thing

I think the issue is that the father who was causing the child to scream was the problem, not the child itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Jayop wrote: »
    I'd have much more tolerance on a weekday lunchtime than at any other time and the type of restaurant makes a big difference too. If its a McDonalds or a Pizza Hut then you have to expect screaming children but in a fancy place you are paying in part for the ambiance of the restaurant. In general kids laughing wouldn't bother me but I get that shrieking can be annoying. I was in the local pub a few weeks ago on a Friday night after work with my missus and a couple of teenage girls came in to a quiet pub and shrieked with laughter for a solid half an hour with no consideration for anyone else in the previously quiet bar. We, like almost all the others who were there, finished our drinks and went elsewhere.

Bet nobody went over there and shamed them though

It matters a lot as has been pointed out by multiple users at this stage. If you wont name then we can only make assumptions and I have done so by comparing it to locations that I have been to.

From you but I accept it was one friend not both however now you claim that your table was in unison on the issue. I would suggest your story is changing:
    One of my friends thought the woman was out of order

thats your opinion and I certainly cannot change that but your OP was to ask other opinions and mine has been stated. there will always be a noisier than the rest table, we arent all working of a set level. In some places, kids will be more prevalant, in others not. A pub on a friday night? No, thats an adult location. Playground? Obviously children.

The coffee shop you are talking about, in my opinion more family orientated than not.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Mehapoy

screamer wrote: »
    I think the attitude towards babies, children and families in general in restaurants in Ireland is disgusting. Treated like a parriah because a baby can't be silenced...... cop on. If you want to eat in a child free zone then ask the restaurant what is their policy before sitting down.
    Honestly I've seen grown adults behave obnoxiously after one too many glasses of wine or rudely talking so loud on a phone the whole place knows their business or laughing like a high pitched hyena and no one says anything. But then again it's easy to single out a baby......
    Pathetic.
    Add your reply here.
    I think this is accurate, we had children in Australia and then moved over here, the difference is stark, most places there have a play areas for kids, here, they just couldn't be bothered catering for families with children, the attitude is you should just stay at home until they are 9 or 10 before going eating out

'm not going over and over what I've already said. The Mods have already made it clear that's not on.

Sorry, that's addressed to Esforum.

'm not going over and over what I've already said. The Mods have already made it clear that's not on.

Sorry, that's addressed to Esforum.

well if you are going to say A then lie and say you never did what the hell am I supposed to do but quote you?

• Advertisement

I think in a McDonalds or Pizza Hut you have to expect lots of kids chatting, raising their voices excitedly etc. I think 'screaming' children is a different matter and wherever you are you should try and keep that to a minimum.

Mehapoy wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    I think this is accurate, we had children in Australia and then moved over here, the difference is stark, most places there have a play areas for kids, here, they just couldn't be bothered catering for families with children, the attitude is you should just stay at home until they are 9 or 10 before going eating out

I said early on that Ireland has a bad attitude towards kids, I blame the drinking culture personally

well if you are going to say A then lie and say you never did what the hell am I supposed to do but quote you?

I didn't lie and if there's any mods reading this I totally object to this post.

I didn't lie and if there's any mods reading this I totally object to this post.

Oh whatever, take your ball and go home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I said early on that Ireland has a bad attitude towards kids, I blame the drinking culture personally
    I blame the babysitters. €50/€60 to sit on the couch for a few hours... load of bollox!

:pac:

smash wrote: »
    I blame the babysitters. €50/€60 to sit on the couch for a few hours... load of bollox!

:pac:

Jaysus is that the going rate now, let that be a lesson, have sisters and brothers before kids. I used to get a fiver and whatever was in the fridge. Would do it myself if thats the going rate. I will do it for 40 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Ireland is getting a bad attitude towards drinkers. I noticed this a few times during a few civilised tea-timers, the place seemed half-full of muppets with their mewling brats flying around the place totally uncontrolled. Thankfully the whole financial collapse thing tends to keep them at home these days, cowering behind the sofa in case the Man comes for the 52'' television. Peace in the valley once more, peace in the hills... :pac:

lawred2 wrote: »
    Bet nobody went over there and shamed them though

No, but we all gave passive aggressive humphs and loud tuts.
    I think in a McDonalds or Pizza Hut you have to expect lots of kids chatting, raising their voices excitedly etc. I think 'screaming' children is a different matter and wherever you are you should try and keep that to a minimum.

Nah, if you go to McDonalds then you have to put up with whatever noise is being made. If it was my kids then I'd be telling them to behave but I woudln't complain in McDonalds either.

It's like bringing the kids to the cheap kids club cinema. You just know it's going to be a nightmare so if you want to save a few quid them just suck up and accept it.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Ireland is getting a bad attitude towards drinkers. I noticed this a few times during a few civilised tea-timers, the place seemed half-full of muppets with their mewling brats flying around the place totally uncontrolled. Thankfully the whole financial collapse thing tends to keep them at home these days, cowering behind the sofa in case the Man comes for the 52'' television. Peace in the valley once more, peace in the hills... :pac:

getting? The global image of Ireland is a drunken fool who uses his accent to get the women then fights each other

• Advertisement

No, but we all gave passive aggressive humphs and loud tuts.

Nah, if you go to McDonalds then you have to put up with whatever noise is being made. If it was my kids then I'd be telling them to behave but I woudln't complain in McDonalds either.

It's like bringing the kids to the cheap kids club cinema. You just know it's going to be a nightmare so if you want to save a few quid them just suck up and accept it.

I think there's a difference. a Kids Club is specifically aimed at children, a place like McDonalds or Pizza Hut gives equal priority to children and adults so parents need to keep this in mind.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement