Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

esforum wrote: »
    lets turn this.

Say I go out for dinner with my wife and child, the child falls asleep but we are sitting beside a large party celebrating, can I tell them to shut the **** up?

What if we are withour our child but want a quiet meal together. Can I similarily decide to make the restaurant speak at a level I dictate?

Lets remember this thread is about a child being held by a parent, not running around the place and hiding under strangers tables.
    I shall ask again as its being universlly ignored

A similar question was already asked and answered:

Speedwell wrote: »
    When the nebby woman is out with her cackling girlfriends having too much wine and making the rafters shake in a nice restaurant where I'm trying to eat a peaceful dinner, is it OK for me to go over and tell them to shut their jackal yaps?

Yes? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

I have never heard a childs laughter be so loud as to pierce ears, be a little realistic will ya.

Theres a noticable difference n a childs laughter, scream of being tickled and scream of being in pain. You are a parent, you know this.

A child screaming with excitement can be just as loud as a child screaming because they're tired or bored or hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I have never heard a childs laughter be so loud as to pierce ears, be a little realistic will ya.

Theres a noticable difference n a childs laughter, scream of being tickled and scream of being in pain. You are a parent, you know this.

Would you put any time limit on it? Half an hour? Duration of a transatlantic flight? Are a father's/parent's rights to entertain a child absolute, irrespective of the disturbance to others?

Most parents have the good manners and consideration to take the child outside after a bit, or find another way to amuse it. Everyone will cut the parents of a small child some slack but it works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

First Up wrote: »
    Would you put any time limit on it? Half an hour? Duration of a transatlantic flight? Are a father's/parent's rights to entertain a child absolute, irrespective of the disturbance to others?

Most parents have the good manners and consideration to take the child outside after a bit, or find another way to amuse it. Everyone will cut the parents of a small child some slack but it works both ways.

out on the wing? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Just to be clear, I think parents should not tease their children into making them scream, with laughter or otherwise, in a public place where people are trying to eat.

I am great craic at a celebration. I am usually behind the piano, where I am hired to be by the people throwing the party. If children screeching with laughter were so pleasant a sound in a public gathering, the organizers would be paying them, not me.

Babies don't need to be paid to be happy so why would anyone pay them. Look at the hits cute baby laughs get on YouTube! Alot of ppl actually really enjoy it and find it very entertaining.

• Advertisement

those sounds the OP was hearing? It was a child having fun. Having fun.

Would you complain about a large table celebrating or a wedding when in a hotel?

Its not always about you. The child and father, when all was said and done, have just as much a right in the establishment (that sounds decidently family orientated by the way) as you

Everyone has a 'right' to be in the establishment, and everyone has an obligation to show consideration to other people.

Drunken adults screeching with laughter and shouting over each other are having fun. Having fun. It still doesn't make it okay if they're disturbing other diners.

Everyone has a 'right' to be in the establishment, and everyone has an obligation to show consideration to other people.

Drunken adults screeching with laughter and shouting over each other are having fun. Having fun. It still doesn't make it okay if they're disturbing other diners.

Why didn't you get up to put and end to the parent child interaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Babies don't need to be paid to be happy so why would anyone pay them. Look at the hits cute baby laughs get on YouTube! Alot of ppl actually really enjoy it and find it very entertaining.

Well, I don't need to be paid to play the piano, but if I'm doing it in a restaurant, I am invited to do so by the management and paid for my time. You are missing the point. When I play at a venue, the management hire me because people enjoy quiet music while they eat. If people enjoyed loud, screeching baby laughter while they ate, the management would probably choose to play loud, screeching baby laughter as background noise instead.

lawred2 wrote: »

Because I don't like confrontation, didn't feel it was my place and have accepted that sometimes you just have to put up with rude, inconsiderate people who are unaware that they're causing annoyance in a public place

Doesn't mean I can't find it irritating or want to discuss it.

Oh, and objecting to parents who encourage their screaming babies to go on and on, isn't the same as objecting to parent child interaction.

Because people who are crass enough to behave that way in public are probably not going to be meek and reasonable when confronted. You shouldn't have to confront them. You might even make them worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

out on the wing? :)

Don't be silly. The baggage hold would be fine.

Because I don't like confrontation and have accepted that sometimes you just have to put up with rude, inconsiderate people who are unaware that they're causing annoyance in a public place.

Doesn't mean I can't find it irritating or want to discuss it.

From your OP; it seems that the child only became a topic of discussion after the lady came over and intervened..

Because people who are crass enough to behave that way in public are probably not going to be meek and reasonable when confronted. You shouldn't have to confront them. You might even make them worse.

ah ffs

It was a man playing peekaboo with his child..

Yeah clearly at danger of being unhinged... Textbook warning signs.

ah ffs

It was a man playing peekaboo with his child..

Yeah clearly at danger of being unhinged... Textbook warning signs.

Don't be absurd. All that was necessary to prove he was a boor was to see that he obviously didn't respect the other diners around him.

From your OP; it seems that the child only became a topic of discussion after the lady came over and intervened..

Not sure what your point is, to be honest??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Anyway I'm resigned to the fact that we're in something of a babyboom, if parents don't give good example of consideration for others then their children are going to have to learn the hard way in adult life.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Not really sure how that relates to the subject of this thread.

You quoted my entire post and say you don't know how it relates to the subject of this thread? It was entirely about the subject of this thread. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

I love how people cant stcik to what was stated. I said a group having a celebration and a wedding in a hotel and the OP said a child being entertained by a parent at LUNCHTIME in a pretty family orientated establishment

that gets turned into people screaming down phones, large groups shouting, a child screaching, a group of animals for some reason and probable the worst, a lewd and illegal act.

Don't be absurd. All that was necessary to prove he was a boor was to see that he obviously didn't respect the other diners around him.

Do you not see that conclusion as to the nature of this man a gigantic leap?

Neyite wrote: »
    You quoted my entire post and say you don't know how it relates to the subject of this thread? It was entirely about the subject of this thread. :confused:

I was saying that your post was about children making reasonable noise in a restaurant and that you, as a parent, said that you take your children out if they start screaming and having a meltdown.

Whereas the thread was about parents who ignore their children screaming in restaurants, or deliberately encourage it. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't talking about parents like you. I actually thought I was being nice to you. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

catbear wrote: »
    Anyway I'm resigned to the fact that we're in something of a babyboom, if parents don't give good example of consideration for others then their children are going to have to learn the hard way in adult life.

im sure that 3 or 6 or 9 month old has learnt much on restaurant etiquette :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Do you not see that conclusion as to the nature of this man a gigantic leap?

Do you have a problem seeing that people who do not have manners might not be pleasant people to confront about their lack of manners?

I love how people cant stcik to what was stated. I said a group having a celebration and a wedding in a hotel and the OP said a child being entertained by a parent at LUNCHTIME in a pretty family orientated establishment

that gets turned into people screaming down phones, large groups shouting, a child screaching, a group of animals for some reason and probable the worst, a lewd and illegal act.

No, it didn't. An adult encouraging his child to screech and scream to the point where they were annoying other diners, was compared to other inconsiderate adults in restaurants including those who shout into mobiles etc.

Not sure what your point is, to be honest??

Well.. given your comments I would have thought the 'annoying' child's ear piercing screeches and the 'idiot' father would have been a topic of discussion before this other lady intervened.

It doesn't seem that way from your OP.

When I said 'discussion' I meant that just because I didn't intervene in the restaurant didn't mean that I didn't find it annoying or want to discuss it on here.

I'm referring to the OP, who said the child was "screaming" and said it was "ear piercing". If you disagree with what he heard and thinks he made it up, take it up with him. He never suggested that the child was in pain, not sure what relevance that has, the motive for the noise isn't in question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Emmadilema123

Well, I don't need to be paid to play the piano, but if I'm doing it in a restaurant, I am invited to do so by the management and paid for my time. You are missing the point. When I play at a venue, the management hire me because people enjoy quiet music while they eat. If people enjoyed loud, screeching baby laughter while they ate, the management would probably choose to play loud, screeching baby laughter as background noise instead.

No I didn't miss the point I'm just being a smart ass. Apologies! I just get so bored because I'm stuck home with my 3 children. I would go out but I'm afraid that that my 5 week old doesn't have the mental capacity to keep her emotions in check. If she had a meltdown and it upset someone so badly that they had to put up a post on boards about it I would never forgive myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

im sure that 3 or 6 or 9 month old has learnt much on restaurant etiquette :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    A parent who unapologetically inflicts their screaming toddler on others is hardly going to change their tutelage style as their child grows. Life won't be so forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

People complain about babies laughing now?

• Advertisement

stoneill wrote: »
    People complain about babies laughing now?

Screaming with laughter, not giggling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement