Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby screaming in restaurant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

What did the baby do after the father reluctantly stopped playing with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Speedwell wrote: »
    Do you have a problem seeing that people who do not have manners might not be pleasant people to confront about their lack of manners?

back up... try to stay on topic here

You have concluded that the man in question was a boor and has no respect for anyone around him..

Based on a bit of playtime between himself and his child which taking the OP at face value got a little out of hand.

I find that a huge leap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭HensVassal

The child sat in front of me swinging his legs and kicking me. He was about 8. I said it politely to him first, and it continued. I said it to his mother and she said it to him. It continued. I answered a phone call from my friend and was passive aggressive "I'm just here on the train, having the legs kicked off me by some young lad", which the mother ignored.
    Eventually I asked her to swap seats with her son because at this stage I was going to be black and blue. No doubt she thought I was a raging bitch but as long as her child was happy she didn't care.

I would have kicked him back.

Screaming with laughter, not giggling.

how hideous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

osarusan wrote: »
    What did the baby do after the father reluctantly stopped playing with it?

They gave him one of those cloth books which he looked at and chewed :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

stoneill wrote: »
    People complain about babies laughing now?
    No, just baby's volume over a sustained time. If the baby were sleeping no one would expect everyone in the restaurant to talk and eat quietly so why should they tolerate having their dinner experience drowned out entirely by a neglected baby?

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I was saying that your post was about children making reasonable noise in a restaurant and that you, as a parent, said that you take your children out if they start screaming and having a meltdown.

Whereas the thread was about parents who ignore their children screaming in restaurants, or deliberately encourage it. I just wanted to make it clear that I wasn't talking about parents like you. I actually thought I was being nice to you. :(

Ah ok, misunderstood so, sorry about that.

For what its worth, I did say that the dad was out of order to get the baby that riled up. I'd be shushing the dad if I was his partner.

stoneill wrote: »
    People complain about babies laughing now?

I didn't see anyone complaining about a baby laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

No, it didn't. An adult encouraging his child to screech and scream to the point where they were annoying other diners, was compared to other inconsiderate adults in restaurants including those who shout into mobiles etc.

you started the thread, I suggest you read it:
    Drunken adults screeching with laughter and shouting over each other
    take your children out if they start screaming and having a meltdown.

a travelling troupe of trained parrots
    a mariachi band
    a couple playing adult games under the tablecloth

and just to point this out, the man that states:
    I would equally be freaked out by anyone else making noise in a restaurant

plays music in restaurants professionally!
    A child screaming with excitement can be just as loud as a child screaming because they're tired or bored or hungry.

Granted but thats not what I said was it? I said pain.
    Do you have a problem seeing that people who do not have manners might not be pleasant people to confront about their lack of manners?

So you only confront people who dont scare you? Challenge the kid instead of the father maybe? The father that was playing peek a boo in a culteral centre for gods sake :rolleyes:
    First Up wrote: »
    Would you put any time limit on it? Half an hour? Duration of a transatlantic flight? Are a father's/parent's rights to entertain a child absolute, irrespective of the disturbance to others?

Most parents have the good manners and consideration to take the child outside after a bit, or find another way to amuse it. Everyone will cut the parents of a small child some slack but it works both ways.

I agree but we arent talking about these scenarios are we? again changing the goalposts. It was 10 minutes, in an open restaurant / cafe at a cultural centre at lunchtime. How much time constitutes 'cutting some slack'? Seconds? When I travel with my kids I bring a lot of stuff to ward off screaming kids syndrome but I cant drug them unconscience ya know.
    Well, I don't need to be paid to play the piano, but if I'm doing it in a restaurant, I am invited to do so by the management and paid for my time. You are missing the point. When I play at a venue, the management hire me because people enjoy quiet music while they eat. If people enjoyed loud, screeching baby laughter while they ate, the management would probably choose to play loud, screeching baby laughter as background noise instead.

I dont like music in bars or restaurants and again, did the OP say that any employee felt even one iota a need to speak to the father? Seems the restaurant was ahppy enough with the situation.

I find it sad that someone has to use a professional example of interaction at a social function.

Yes, lots of quotes out of context there Esoforum

• Advertisement

lawred2 wrote: »
    That's some contortion right there... Nice work.

Care to explain yourself? You seem to be the master of distortion.
    Who said that happy babies bothered them as you tried to allude to in your latest misrepresentation of a post?

Nope, all in context. All examples people used to justify their positions when in fact I asked about children laughing, dinner celebrations and a wedding.

I even stated that people were using animals and lewd acts to which you replied that no one had done so. Can you accept you were wrong on gnhat score?

and the topic YOU STARTED is about a child playing with a father for ten minutes

esforum wrote: »
    Nope, all in context. All examples people used to justify their positions when in fact I asked about children laughing, dinner celebrations and a wedding.

and the topic YOU STARTED is about a child playing with a father for ten minutes

No it wasn't

HensVassal wrote: »
    Care to explain yourself? You seem to be the master of distortion.
    Who said that happy babies bothered them as you tried to allude to in your latest misrepresentation of a post?

what?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Acciaccatura

Father playing with baby - cute
    Baby laughing in response - cute
    Baby shrieking in delight - startling, but cute as a once or twice off
    Baby shrieking in delight intermittently for 10 minutes in any public place - not cute
    It just sounds like the father's game with the baby got a bit out of hand. If it was two kids playing happily but too loudly for a public place, most parents would tell them to calm down, as they should. The father was goading this baby to shriek, so too right he was told off. Whatever way the scolding was phrased is another story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

Woman. Thanks.

No it wasn't

yes it was, you used different words but I decided to insert my own to make the situation different thereby winning the arguement

yes it was, you used different words but I decided to insert my own to make the situation different thereby winning the arguement

Yes, the clue is in 'different words'.

I even stated that people were using animals and lewd acts to which you replied that no one had done so. Can you accept you were wrong on gnhat score?

I love the way you constantly redefine what was going on to fit your position. You don't ever mention the shrieking, you only make reference to "a father was playing with his son", "he was playing peek-a-boo in a cultural centre". All this sugarcoating, shape-shifting and trivialising to try and make others appear unreasonable.

The kid was shrieking, the father was exacerbating it and it wasn't in a damn cultural centre it was in a restaurant. That the restaurant was connected to some heritage site or tourist attraction is irrelevant. But you cynically try to squeeze that in, why I don't know.

Yes, the clue is in 'different words'.

it most certainly is Bella, it most certainly is.
    I love the way you constantly redefine what was going on to fit your position. You don't ever mention the shrieking, you only make reference to "a father was playing with his son", "he was playing peek-a-boo in a cultural centre". All this sugarcoating, shape-shifting and trivialising to try and make others appear unreasonable.

The kid was shrieking, the father was exacerbating it and it wasn't in a damn cultural centre it was in a restaurant. That the restaurant was connected to some heritage site or tourist attraction is irrelevant. But you cynically try to squeeze that in, why I don't know.

Well it is relevent, if it was in a dark candle light restaurant with Speedwell freaking eveyron out by making noise I would have said daddy brought baby to the wrong place and agreed with the OP. but thats not the case so location is of course relevent. Its very relevent, in fact the location is argueable the most important aspect of the debate.

But you are right, lest ignore the location and the childs mood now lets get back to those parrots, aeroplanes and sneaky hand shandies that are so relevent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭AryaStark

I didn't see anyone complaining about a baby laughing.

Seems to be what the whole thread is about. Ok the Dad was making him laugh and he got a bit hyper but its still Laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

It's awful dealing with the public when you're in public.

Jesus, just stay at home with your cats, you shut-in

Well said. I'm getting really tired of Esoforum's very unsubtle attempts at misquoting, misinterpreting and taking sentences out of context in order to try and prove his own point.

AryaStark wrote: »
    Seems to be what the whole thread is about. Ok the Dad was making him laugh and he got a bit hyper but its still Laughing.

No, it's about shrill screaming. Not one person has objected to children laughing or chatting or enjoying themselves, despite the attempts by some posters to imply that they have.

it most certainly is Bella, it most certainly is.

Well it is relevent but I dont really see why I cant mention that when people are talkign about parrots and aeroplanes!

You can't mention it because it's not true. They were in a restaurant and you're distorting the facts to try and make it sound like the father was benignly amusing his child in the serene settings of a cultural centre.

He fuckin wasn't. He was getting his kid to shriek like a banshee in a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

You can't mention it because it's not true. They were in a restaurant and you're distorting the facts to try and make it sound like the father was benignly amusing his child in the serene settings of a cultural centre.

He fuckin wasn't. He was getting his kid to shriek like a banshee in a restaurant.

You tell him to stick to the facts then add the statement in bold???.

Talk about an exaggeration, it couldnt have been that loud the OP said in the first post that she wouldnt have said anything so it couldnt have been anything like your description.

It's awful dealing with the public when you're in public.

Jesus, just stay at home with your cats, you shut-in

Shouldn't you be in school? Mid Term is still a couple of weeks away.

You tell him to stick to the facts then add the statement in bold???.

Talk about an exaggeration, it couldnt have been that loud the OP said in the first post that she wouldnt have said anything so it couldnt have been anything like your description.

I said I wouldn't say anything because I don't like confrontation. It didn't mean that I wasn't sitting there gritting my teeth and praying the family would be leaving soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭A Shaved Duck?

I said I wouldn't say anything because I don't like confrontation. It didn't that I wasn't sitting there gritting my teeth and praying the family would be leaving soon.

I get that it was annoying but some of the exaggerating by posters that were not there to get some "point" across is strange at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod:

Last few pages have descended into pointless "he said/she said" "yes i did/no i didn't" bickering.

It's a pain in the hole to read. Cut it out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement