Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards deny innocent woman her malteasers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

It's not that impossible. If the guy in question has previous form for attacking or being volatile, or such an attack wouldn't be outside the realms of possibility, the guards family has been threathened and while the people the scumbag has identified may not exist, there has been a threat made and there probably is people that threat extends to. Ie, girlfriend, parents.
    Add your reply here.
    Someone said if he didn't have a family etc. Just hypothetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

1:37 - just as the scummer is threatening the family of the guard, his aul man says "shurrup Bottle will ya!". You could not make this sh1t up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why do you start all your posts with "add your reply here."?
    He might not have a wife, he probably has a girlfriend.
    Just because there's no ring on her finger, does that mean she's fair game?

Why do you start all your posts with "add your reply here."?
    He might not have a wife, he probably has a girlfriend.
    Just because there's no ring on her finger, does that mean she's fair game?
    Add your reply here.
    I don't know, my phone is possessed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

No need for violence, but if someone is going to act like an animal they need to treated like one. Spit masks, copious cable ties restrained belly down in the back of the squad. When they aren't executing people, the American cops have it fairly right.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The section quoted requires that the victim "believes (the threat) will be carried out". The Judge has to consider the mind of the victim.

That's not the wording. The legislation states that the intent is that the threat be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭AnMuinteoirOg

5.—(1) A person who, without lawful excuse, makes to another a threat, by any means intending the other to believe it will be carried out, to kill or cause serious harm to that other or a third person shall be guilty of an offence

Section 5 of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Persons Act, 1997

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Ability to carry out the threat immediately, the proximity of time or geography, is one of the constituent elements of an assault,

Where did ya get that? Theres no requirement for any of that in the act.

If someone makes a threat and they are criminals who do or have or are in the process of being violent, its reasonable to take the threat with some degree of belief, Gardai do get followed home, their homes and cars do get attacked, their wives / etc do get approached

esforum wrote: »
    Where did ya get that? Theres no requirement for any of that in the act...

It is a fundamental aspect of assault that the person believes s/he is likely to be immediately subjected to force. Section 2(1)(b)...

www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1997/act/26/section/2/enacted/en/html

esforum wrote: »
    Ability to carry out the threat immediately, the proximity of time or geography, is one of the constituent elements of an assault,

Where did ya get that? Theres no requirement for any of that in the act.

If someone makes a threat and they are criminals who do or have or are in the process of being violent, its reasonable to take the threat with some degree of belief, Gardai do get followed home, their homes and cars do get attacked, their wives / etc do get approached
    Add your reply here.
    Does that happen often?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

melissak wrote: »
    Add your reply here.
    Does that happen often?

Often enough it should be taken more seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kupus wrote: »
    he wont, he'll be a raging cnut for everybody around him till the day he drops dead from a heart attack.

welcome to liberal ireland where fookdogs like this scummer is laughing all the way to his dole money that you provide him with.

And no amount of courses and all that boll0x is going to save him and the others around him.

Imagine what his kids are going to be like..... just remember its your kids that will be meeting his. While you congratulate yourself on how you raised your liberal child to be a person thats tolerant and and all those other other warm fuzzy words youre proud of,
    this guys kids will be shooting your kid in the back.

thats evolution.
    Strange then, that so many of the worlds safest countries are also among the most liberal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

That has genuinely shocked me. I knew i was pretty naive about what real scum were like, but the hatred in his voice and overall weirdness was scary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Billy86 wrote: »
    Strange then, that so many of the worlds safest countries are also among the most liberal.

thats like saying that gyms are bad for your weight cause they are full of fat people

Where are these nations? I am sure you are right in many regards but so too are many nations not so liberal relatively safe

InReality wrote: »
    That has genuinely shocked me. I knew i was pretty naive about what real scum were like, but the hatred in his voice and overall weirdness was scary.

Real scum are just real scum, and while I might argue that you can't be prosecuted for just being a scumbag, I do think there is something to be said for trusting a police force enough to allow them to draw a baton every now and again and crack the head off a scumbag. In this country, sadly, that was abused by Gardai to draw confessions out of people in very serious cases in the 70s and 80s with the result that now we do not tolerate it at all. But every now and again, as in a situation like this, you'd think it just might be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Billy86 wrote: »

Just because you hear on pravda rte that ireland is safe doesnt mean its so.

I worked in some neighbourhoods that make the worst irish one look like eurodisney. never had any bother barr once or twice.. maybe three.
    on the other hand I can walk down any town centre in ireland and get aggro anytime I want, day or night.

If you consider yourself liberal I would ask you to instead of opening your mind.... Ill ask you to instead open your eyes.

countries from what I have noticed in my years have a habit of bigging themselves up thru their national mouthpiece, be it radio or newspaper.

As far as im concerned if someguy in front of me was patting himself on the back every time he got a question right...id think he was an idiot.
    Same goes for a country. If Ireland keeps patting itself on the back for getting a question right, id think its an idiot. Id have more respect for it, if it asked the hard questions instead of answering the easy starter questions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

I worked in some neighbourhoods that make the worst irish one look like eurodisney. never had any bother barr once or twice.. maybe three.
    on the other hand I can walk down any town centre in ireland and get aggro anytime I want, day or night.

If you consider yourself liberal I would ask you to instead of opening your mind.... Ill ask you to instead open your eyes.

countries from what I have noticed in my years have a habit of bigging themselves up thru their national mouthpiece, be it radio or newspaper.

As far as im concerned if someguy in front of me was patting himself on the back every time he got a question right...id think he was an idiot.
    Same goes for a country. If Ireland keeps patting itself on the back for getting a question right, id think its an idiot. Id have more respect for it, if it asked the hard questions instead of answering the easy starter questions.
    Good thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This summer would probably shout "police brutally" if he was touched

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Real scum are just real scum, and while I might argue that you can't be prosecuted for just being a scumbag, I do think there is something to be said for trusting a police force enough to allow them to draw a baton every now and again and crack the head off a scumbag. In this country, sadly, that was abused by Gardai to draw confessions out of people in very serious cases in the 70s and 80s with the result that now we do not tolerate it at all. But every now and again, as in a situation like this, you'd think it just might be justified.
    Pity the same treatment isn't applied to our corrupt politicians/bankers et al...

Suited & booted, marbles in the mouth scumbags at the other end of the spectrum, after all, real scum are just real scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭Allinall

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Pity the same treatment isn't applied to our corrupt politicians/bankers et al...

Suited & booted, marbles in the mouth scumbags at the other end of the spectrum, after all, real scum are just real scum.

Never heard of a politician threatening a guards family.

Have you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

I must have led a very sheltered life. I have never encountered any aggression in any town in Ireland during the day and only rarely during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

ANY town centre would seem to be kinda hyberbolic which rather detracts from your argument. I've walked across Cork city at night alone (including through the nearer northside) multiple times as a young female and not had an issue. On the other hand, I got shoved over and had a lewd comment made to me by a gang of older men in the tiny country town of Kenmare, Co. Kerry. Don't ask me what that proves. Just that anywhere can have assholes and in general, our cities aren't as bad as you're making out.

Allinall wrote: »
    Never heard of a politician threatening a guards family.

Have you?
    No actually, thank you for your input :rolleyes: :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

some of the serious cases you mention were not serious, many the young man had his ribs busted on a gards suspision

Yep, and Sinn Fein would be defending the "victim" here - poor guy was only buying a box of maltesers.

Some areas of dublin, they should just sterilise them via the water supply.
    it could well be joe costelloe of the liebour/stickie/dissos who would be defending them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

He deserves a good hiding when he gets in to the cell, DON'T DENY HIM!!

melissak wrote: »
    No way that would fly if the guard doesn't have a wife /family. The victim has to believe the danger, which he couldn't if they were fictional.
    that stuff was being sprouted by the limerick criminals back in the day, they even went as far as to ring the cops houses, outside cops had to be brought in to deal with it

Some areas of dublin, they should just sterilise them via the water supply.
    & that's how it starts...

PS Godwin before any fucker mentions it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭stoplooklisten

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    & that's how it starts...

doubt it, more a group like "tallaght says no" paint it on their signs in protest of paying water charges and stand on o'connell street

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,850 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Vallorrous wrote: »
    Golden rule for arrest I thought was to keep your mouth shut. You don't answer questions, you don't incriminate yourself, just hand over your licence and insurance documents if asked. I really think that's just common sense.

Or go out gracefully like this guy:

Advertisement