Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guards deny innocent woman her malteasers

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Or go out gracefully like this guy
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

kupus wrote: »
    Just because you hear on pravda rte that ireland is safe doesnt mean its so.

I worked in some neighbourhoods that make the worst irish one look like eurodisney. never had any bother barr once or twice.. maybe three.
    on the other hand I can walk down any town centre in ireland and get aggro anytime I want, day or night.

If you consider yourself liberal I would ask you to instead of opening your mind.... Ill ask you to instead open your eyes.

countries from what I have noticed in my years have a habit of bigging themselves up thru their national mouthpiece, be it radio or newspaper.

As far as im concerned if someguy in front of me was patting himself on the back every time he got a question right...id think he was an idiot.
    Same goes for a country. If Ireland keeps patting itself on the back for getting a question right, id think its an idiot. Id have more respect for it, if it asked the hard questions instead of answering the easy starter questions.

I wasn't even referring to Ireland and your post really does absolutely nothing to address my point. Many of the safes places in the world are dry liberal, which flies in the face if the point I was responding to.

galljga1 wrote: »
    I must have led a very sheltered life. I have never encountered any aggression in any town in Ireland during the day and only rarely during the night.

To be fair he said any time he wants. If I wanted, I could get some aggro from roaring at people and attacking them to get a response. So in that reality his statement makes sense (except it would also apply to about every other city in the world).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    & that's how it starts...

PS Godwin before any fucker mentions it :p
    Going way off topic here but its amazing how "Camp" the Nazis were .

Men saluting with erect appendages given the tiny-iest opportunity.

And then the fancy suits and boots

Was Hitlers book called "Mien Camp"

Takes all sorts I suppose.

A bit of flogging and whipping wouldn't do that toe-rag any harm I suppose.

Is there ever a Nazi around these days when you need one ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Billy86 wrote: »
    I wasn't even referring to Ireland and your post really does absolutely nothing to address my point. Many of the safes places in the world are dry liberal, which flies in the face if the point I was responding to.

Yes but keep in mind that correlation != causation
    Are the worlds safest places so safe because they are liberal, or are they liberal because they're safe?

My opinion is that the latter is true, liberal policies and ideas can only be allowed to prosper once safety is not a major concern - safety which is often earned through conservative policies and ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

Many of the safes places in the world are dry liberal, which flies in the face if the point I was responding to.

I asked already but which places?

Many places such as Japan, China, Cuba are pretty safe but are hardly liberal.

the savage doesnt get tamed with hugs and kisses and personally O dont doubt for one minute that society is only a few meals away from collapse

esforum wrote: »
    I asked already but which places?

Many places such as Japan, China, Cuba are pretty safe but are hardly liberal.

the savage doesnt get tamed with hugs and kisses and personally O dont doubt for one minute that society is only a few meals away from collapse

Actually, you will find that the Global Peace Index ranks the 15 safest countries as Denmark, Austria, NZ, Switzerland, Finland, Canada, Japan, Belgium, Norway, Czech, Sweden, Ireland, Slovenia, Iceland and Australia. All of these are progressive countries, Japan included, with every single one ranking in the top 22 of the Social Progess Index.

'The savage' does get tamed through progession, by the way. It's basically what we've been doing throughout our entire history as a species. If you think 'liberalism = hugs and kisses and thats it' you really should broaden your knowledge in general.

Actually, you will find that the Global Peace Index ranks the 15 safest countries as Denmark, Austria, NZ, Switzerland, Finland, Canada, Japan, Belgium, Norway, Czech, Sweden, Ireland, Slovenia, Iceland and Australia. All of these are progressive countries, Japan included, with every single one ranking in the top 22 of the Social Progess Index.

Who said progressive? The word is 'liberal'. Liberal is the word and liberal shall remain the word thats being challenged thanks very much.

I wouldnt consider a number of them too be particularily liberal however you have still completely 100% missed the comments made.

Which comes first, the egg or the chicken? Are they safe because they are liberal or did being safe allow them to become liberal was the question raised.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,884 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Just how recent did the Global Peace Index rank the 15 safest countries?
    As I think a few may have slid down the rankings in recent times

Who said progressive? The word is 'liberal'. Liberal is the word and liberal shall remain the word thats being challenged thanks very much.

I wouldnt consider a number of them too be particularily liberal however you have still completely 100% missed the comments made.

Which comes first, the egg or the chicken? Are they safe because they are liberal or did being safe allow them to become liberal was the question raised.
    [lib-er-uh l, lib-ruh l]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    adjective
    favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
    (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.

You have not given any of the countries listed that you would see as not being liberal, and have not given any reasons either. If they had to be safe before adopting any liberal policies, then why are there so few non-liberal countries nearing the top, and thus able to take on liberal policies now? Why is the bottom of the GPI made up so strongly of the least liberal countries in the world? Would you agree with kupus, who is seemingly convinced that liberal countries = dangerous countries?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not saying that liberal = safety by default, just to clarify. I am saying that liberal = dangerous (as kupus seemed to be claiming) is incredibly incorrect.

• Advertisement

timmyntc wrote: »
    Just how recent did the Global Peace Index rank the 15 safest countries?
    As I think a few may have slid down the rankings in recent times
    June, 2014.

I also found June 2015's release, all the same except for Norway slipping to #17 while Portugal (#18 in the progressive list) took their place in the top 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

flutered wrote: »
    that stuff was being sprouted by the limerick criminals back in the day, they even went as far as to ring the cops houses, outside cops had to be brought in to deal with it
    It's been around for a long time. A friends uncle was posted polaroids of his wife and children doing the weekly shopping back in the 80's.

Whatever the law is now, it needs to change if scumbags like this aren't being handed heavy sentences.

We can either allow the Gardaí free reign to dish out retribution when they're attacked or threatened, ask them to use restraint and follow up with strong sentencing for *ANY* threat or harm done to the person or family of our Gardai or we can allow scumbags to have no fear of an impotent police force.

Any actual harm done to a member of AGS should be extremely heavily punished IMO. I'd be in favour of 5 year sentences for taking a swing at a Guard and lifetime imprisonment for their murder / manslaughter.

[lib-er-uh l, lib-ruh l]
    Spell Syllables
    Synonyms Examples Word Origin
    See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com
    adjective
    favorable to progress or reform, as in political or religious affairs.
    (often initial capital letter) noting or pertaining to a political party advocating measures of progressive political reform.

You have not given any of the countries listed that you would see as not being liberal, and have not given any reasons either. If they had to be safe before adopting any liberal policies, then why are there so few non-liberal countries nearing the top, and thus able to take on liberal policies now? Why is the bottom of the GPI made up so strongly of the least liberal countries in the world? Would you agree with kupus, who is seemingly convinced that liberal countries = dangerous countries?

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not saying that liberal = safety by default, just to clarify. I am saying that liberal = dangerous (as kupus seemed to be claiming) is incredibly incorrect.

a word being in the explanation of another does not make them the same.

Japan is not liberal in my sense of the word and I dont think it would be for many people. Australia? Not especially. Ireland? Yes I would agree that overall we are pretty liberal. Swiss? No, they really arent and manu aspects of their society the Irish would consider very restrictive. Czech? Well I suppose in their modern outlook yes but at present they are pretty central government wise and woulddnt have been until recent times. Cant remember the rest. Safe countries that are not liberal? Well Cuba is pretty safe, so is Japan which is not liberal its very conserative, Germany as well. But then define safe?

And I think you are taking both myself and Kupus up wrong and creating an arguement where none exists. Neither of us claimed either, we are merely exploring the possibilities as to if liberal leads to safe or vice versa.

Kupus is suggesting that liberal follows safe because most countries would have been conservative to begin with. Look at Ireland, could you seriously suggest we have always been liberal? I couldnt

I think theres a middle ground in that we can try and be liberal but have to weigh it against other requirements and issues. I would certainly suggest that we should keep open minds on subjects but by the same token, not lose sight of the present circumstances

Japan is not liberal in my sense of the word and I dont think it would be for many people. Australia? Not especially. Ireland? Yes I would agree that overall we are pretty liberal. Swiss? No, they really arent and manu aspects of their society the Irish would consider very restrictive. Czech? Well I suppose in their modern outlook yes but at present they are pretty central government wise and woulddnt have been until recent times. Cant remember the rest. Safe countries that are not liberal? Well Cuba is pretty safe, so is Japan which is not liberal its very conserative, Germany as well. But then define safe?

And I think you are taking both myself and Kupus up wrong and creating an arguement where none exists. Neither of us claimed either, we are merely exploring the possibilities as to if liberal leads to safe or vice versa.

Kupus is suggesting that liberal follows safe because most countries would have been conservative to begin with. Look at Ireland, could you seriously suggest we have always been liberal? I couldnt

I think theres a middle ground in that we can try and be liberal but have to weigh it against other requirements and issues. I would certainly suggest that we should keep open minds on subjects but by the same token, not lose sight of the present circumstances
    Progressiveness is central to liberalism, hence why is shows up in the definition of liberal and liberalism shows up in the definition of it.
    pro·gres·sive
    prəˈɡresiv/
    adjective
    adjective: progressive
    happening or developing gradually or in stages; proceeding step by step.
    "a progressive decline in popularity"
    synonyms: continuing, continuous, increasing, growing, developing, ongoing, accelerating, escalating; More
    (of a disease or ailment) increasing in severity or extent.
    "progressive liver failure"
    (of taxation or a tax) increasing as a proportion of the sum taxed as that sum increases.
    "steeply progressive income taxes"
    (of a card game or dance) involving a series of sections for which participants successively change place or relative position.
    archaic
    engaging in or constituting forward motion.
    (of a group, person, or idea) favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas.
    "a relatively progressive governor"
    favoring or promoting change or innovation.
    "a progressive art school"
    synonyms: modern, liberal, advanced, forward-thinking, enlightened, enterprising, innovative, pioneering, dynamic, bold, avant-garde, reforming, reformist, radical; informalgo-ahead
    "progressive views"
    antonyms: conservative, reactionary
    relating to or denoting a style of rock music popular especially in the 1980s and characterized by classical influences, the use of keyboard instruments, and lengthy compositions.

Kupus' post is stating that liberalism will lead to increases in crime and murder. I'm not sure if you have read his post, because at no point does he mention anything about about liberalism following safety. His point is basically "if you raise your children to be liberal they will be shot" - yet this flies in the fact of the fact that liberal countries are typically safer, something which you yourself would seem to agree with.

and your reply is
    His point is basically "if you raise your children to be liberal they will be shot" - yet this flies in the fact of the fact that liberal countries are typically safer, something which you yourself would seem to agree with.

so theres really no point in trying to discuss it with you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭trashcan

What has the title got to do with the video? Malteasers? Have I finally gone crazy?

It's the new Maltesers ad campaign. :D

and your reply is

so theres really no point in trying to discuss it with you
    No, actually, your post did not simply state "" , your full post stated:

It's disingenuous to claim you only stated 20% of what you actually stated, completely leaving out the part that you know full well I was responding to. I never disagreed with the one snippet of your own post that you decided to leave in.

I'll just copy and paste his post for you here.
    he wont, he'll be a raging cnut for everybody around him till the day he drops dead from a heart attack.

welcome to liberal ireland where fookdogs like this scummer is laughing all the way to his dole money that you provide him with.

And no amount of courses and all that boll0x is going to save him and the others around him.

Imagine what his kids are going to be like..... just remember its your kids that will be meeting his. While you congratulate yourself on how you raised your liberal child to be a person thats tolerant and and all those other other warm fuzzy words youre proud of,
    this guys kids will be shooting your kid in the back.

thats evolution.

Clearly, that is not what he was stating in any way, shape or form. Was it something in his one other post on this thread that you might have been referring to?
    Just because you hear on pravda rte that ireland is safe doesnt mean its so.

I worked in some neighbourhoods that make the worst irish one look like eurodisney. never had any bother barr once or twice.. maybe three.
    on the other hand I can walk down any town centre in ireland and get aggro anytime I want, day or night.

If you consider yourself liberal I would ask you to instead of opening your mind.... Ill ask you to instead open your eyes.

countries from what I have noticed in my years have a habit of bigging themselves up thru their national mouthpiece, be it radio or newspaper.

As far as im concerned if someguy in front of me was patting himself on the back every time he got a question right...id think he was an idiot.
    Same goes for a country. If Ireland keeps patting itself on the back for getting a question right, id think its an idiot. Id have more respect for it, if it asked the hard questions instead of answering the easy starter questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

Im equating the rise of liberalism to the rise of more frequent and serious crime
    More understanding of scummers... the hangers on of the justice industry and dont kid yourself, its an industry, with plenty of finance paid for by your taxes have even less understanding now, and no amount of 3rd level degrees to say that you do will make any difference.

understanding pah, when i hear that i want to tear my ears out.
    Understand this, when you raise a feral kid with no boundries, that kid is a lost cause.

For a long time people used to use their fists to settle arguments, then it was bottles glasses, then knives, now its guns.
    Its no great stretch of the imagination to say when fionn goes out 20 years from now to enjoy a pint for himself, some kid that knows no boundries will come behind him and shoot him for his wallet.

Billy you see it as fearmongering.... I see it as evolution.

Im equating the rise of liberalism to the rise of more frequent and serious crime
    Again, the fact that the safest countries in the world are almost entirely liberal really flies in the face of this.
    More understanding of scummers... the hangers on of the justice industry and dont kid yourself, its an industry, with plenty of finance paid for by your taxes have even less understanding now, and no amount of 3rd level degrees to say that you do will make any difference.
    This sentence doesn't even make sense. So by becoming better educated on law, people's understanding of law gets worse? Do people have a better understanding of 'scummers' because they are less educated in law? Or because they are less liberal? Does having a worse understanding of 'scummers' make them more or less effective? Or does being liberal make them 'more understanding of scummers' and does this make them better or worse at their jobs?
    understanding pah, when i hear that i want to tear my ears out.
    Understand this, when you raise a feral kid with no boundries, that kid is a lost cause.
    Good thing that liberal people are more likely to advocate for mental health awareness and treatment then, otherwise we'd still be chucking the disabled away to be forgotten about, and leaving others to roam the streets with no help from society.
    For a long time people used to use their fists to settle arguments, then it was bottles glasses, then knives, now its guns.
    I hate to break this to you, but guns have existed for longer than you seem to think. Just this year we're celebrating the time a bunch of a lads took guns to the GPO, resulting in the deaths of nearly 500 people including many innocent civilians.
    Its no great stretch of the imagination to say when fionn goes out 20 years from now to enjoy a pint for himself, some kid that knows no boundries will come behind him and shoot him for his wallet.
    Can you show some statistical evidence that crime is higher in liberal countries than non liberal ones?
    Billy you see it as fearmongering.... I see it as evolution.
    See what as fearmongering, that your view is completely at odds with reality? Can you explain why most of the safest countries in the world are liberal, or no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

In fairness I think he means that you don't see the social effects of boundryless parenting until the next generation and to teach your child that everyone plays fair in this best of all possible liberal world's may be setting them up to be some more unscrupulous kid's mug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭melissak

In fairness I think he means that you don't see the social effects of boundryless parenting until the next generation and to teach your child that everyone plays fair in this best of all possible liberal world's may be setting them up to be some more unscrupulous kid's mug.

Advertisement