Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Student Paramedic 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭mar2313

At what point do they provide uniforms? Assuming you need one for placement?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Helena79

Where do students stay while training in Ballinsloe and any idea of cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

mar2313 wrote:
    At what point do they provide uniforms? Assuming you need one for placement?

Haha how long is a piece of string? You should have a helmet, boots and hi vis for observer week and you will get the rest before you go out on 8 week placement
    Helena79 wrote:
    Where do students stay while training in Ballinsloe and any idea of cost?

Shearwater Hotel do a package think it's 35 for b+b 45 with dinner per night but not 100% sure as I didn't stay there. There are rooms for rent around town too that people avail of which are cheaper. Course director will email contact number to you before starting

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭luimneachboy

I started in January
    2x induction
    1x observer week
    12x theory
    3x ambulance
    5x hospital
    2x exam prep and exam
    1x annual leave
    12x ambulance
    2x exam prep and exam
    1x annual leave (this week)
    1x phtls
    3 x driving
    1 x annual leave
    Internship

In the case of 5 weeks hospital, were u placed near home? Was it all days or shift in the hospital and was it in depts observing

• Registered Users Posts: 39 toger21

Just wondering for those who are currently in college do you require a laptop with long battery life. I have 1 yr old with average battery but just curious do you need one like the apple's where you get 10 hours without the need to go plugging in during the day in class??

• Advertisement

In the case of 5 weeks hospital, were u placed near home? Was it all days or shift in the hospital and was it in depts observing

Yes you normally get hospitals near home. Observation mainly and shift hours at descression of nurse in charge so can do anything from 5days of 7 hrs to 3 12hr shifts
    toger21 wrote:
    Just wondering for those who are currently in college do you require a laptop with long battery life. I have 1 yr old with average battery but just curious do you need one like the apple's where you get 10 hours without the need to go plugging in during the day in class??

Your current laptop will be perfect

Do you have to have a laptop in class?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Disappear

mar2313 wrote: »
    Do you have to have a laptop in class?

No....powerpoint presentations in class. Take a note or two down if you want. You receive a hand out of lecture after class and they put in up in moodle....

Hi just to clarify do you need to get a full hearing , eyesight and colour vision test completed by your own opticians and occupational health when your called is to check bloods and previous vaccines?

For all that have got places in the past. Can ye advise on how many students are taken for each class in tallagh and ballinasloe. I know 24 are due for ballinasloe in jan but historically how many for each location

• Advertisement

Does anyone know the hours of a typical college day are and also I assume the ambulance observer week is based at the training college?

Also where does the 15weeks driving and UGI take place?

Helena79 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the hours of a typical college day are and also I assume the ambulance observer week is based at the training college?

I haven't got a place yet but I understand observer week is at ambulance base and college is 9-5 and some mondays starting at 10 to allow for anyone travelling on the mon morn

Think the driving is a 3 week part

Yes thought it was three weeks too but I got the timetable today and it says 15 weeks??!!

Driver training takes place in Dublin but couldn’t tell you where exactly

Is your time table not the same as the one above?

No when I went into the moodle it was different....am confused now, is anyone else starting next January that saw that timetable?

No when I went into the moodle it was different....am confused now, is anyone else starting next January that saw that timetable?

Can u post your balliansloe schedule here?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Newmed

Is the medical done by HSE doctor and what is involved please

• Advertisement

think driving is all in Dublin

prob best to use the forum in Moodle so we can all ask the questions and instructors can give ans on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

For all that have got places in the past. Can ye advise on how many students are taken for each class in tallagh and ballinasloe. I know 24 are due for ballinasloe in jan but historically how many for each location

Afaik maximum for Ballinasloe is 24 and 32 for Tallaght.

Helena79 wrote:

College 9-5 mon-thurs 9-4 Friday
    Observer week done at your local ambulance base.

23 in my ballinasloe class originally

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭sjb25

3 weeks driving and it's based at NASC tallaght

Newmed wrote: »
    Is the medical done by HSE doctor and what is involved please

Occupational health nurse is no pre existing issues and all my vaccines up to date and all when I started so I'd
    routine questions then blood & urine test eyesight test and BMI id submitted hearing report before I attended the medical was only in there 20-30min

9-5 Monday to Friday in college ambulance observer is based at local ambulance base usually and you will be most likely following a shift so be most likely 12 hour shift

What does UGI stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

Hi. On average, what's the time frame from a successful application to beginning training?

• Advertisement

didds wrote: »
    Hi. On average, what's the time frame from a successful application to beginning training?

Best sceanario 9months. Then on average 12 months

Advertisement