Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

I need feminism because... [READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

...because even though I am supporting my partner financially, when I order the bill in a restaurant they always hand it to him. I've had people read my (obviously) female name on my credit card, and still hand it to him for the PIN!

...because In business meetings and work in general I'm always expected to prove myself, while male colleagues tend to get more respect at the start even if they're later proven to be incompetent.

...because people I know are forced to travel for abortion and are judged for it if they ever tell anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eatyourveg

Irish men are very egalitarian compared to other men from other countries ,maybe they're a bit slow but they always
    approach women with dignity and respect and in a funny manner,I listen to many women throughout the world comment on this.
    you never hear them comment bad behind women's backs,but if seems they are the devils off the world to Irish women and especially Irish media
    maybe it's the in thing too do now to bash Irish men or something ,or maybe blame other countries issues onto Irish men

• Registered Users Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭PressRun

Eatyourveg wrote: »
    Irish men are very egalitarian compared to other men from other countries ,maybe they're a bit slow but they always
    approach women with dignity and respect and in a funny manner,I listen to many women throughout the world comment on this.
    you never hear them comment bad behind women's backs,but if seems they are the devils off the world to Irish women and especially Irish media
    maybe it's the in thing too do now to bash Irish men or something ,or maybe blame other countries issues onto Irish men

:confused:

And what exactly does this have to do with feminism?

Everything

approach women with dignity and respect and in a funny manner
    ,I listen to many women throughout the world comment on this.

Most of the time this is true, thankfully.

Sometimes though, this is very, very, untrue. There have been many times where I've been pestered and disrespected and downright mauled and molested.

It doesn't make Irish men devils in general, just the few who do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Mod
    You've already been spoken to about derailing the thread. This is a final reminder to read the OP and the charter, otherwise you will be taking some time off from TLL.

what is unwanted attention to one women is not enough attention to another women

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

what is unwanted attention to one women is not enough attention to another women

Mod
    User banned for ignoring mods instruction.

Please don't respond to them on thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

I would argue that the concepts of feminism and pro-life/anti-abortion are mutually exclusive. The two clash fundamentally and so are extremely difficult if not impossible to reconcile.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. The question of abortion is at heart about whether an unborn child is a full human or not, and therefore whether killing him/her/it is permissible or not. I think abortion ought to be permitted up until about 6 months when the nervous system is somewhat developed, and possibly even later, but I've never seen it as being mainly a women's rights issue.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

goose2005 wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily agree. The question of abortion is at heart about whether an unborn child is a full human or not, and therefore whether killing him/her/it is permissible or not. I think abortion ought to be permitted up until about 6 months when the nervous system is somewhat developed, and possibly even later, but I've never seen it as being mainly a women's rights issue.

I'm not seeing your logic there.

The right to have an abortion is a right a woman should be entitled to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Stheno wrote: »
    I'm not seeing your logic there.

The right to have an abortion is a right a woman should be entitled to?

If I understood it correctly it is regarding the time limits. I know a case where woman had to travel from Italy for abortion in seventh month of pregnancy. The limit in Italy is 22 weeks. In this case it was not fatal fetal abnormalities but Zica virus and consequences it brings. Although child would survive the quality of life would be dreadful. I would agree that in that when fetus can survive outside womb it might not be just a woman's issue.

BTW personally I think it was the right thing to do but some pro choice people might disagree with late therm abortions in case of non fatal disabilities.

Mod
    Just a reminder of the thread title. We don't want this to turn into a pro-life/pro-choice debate.

I need feminism because I need it to be okay for a female to cycle faster than a male. I need us to be seen as cyclists rather than male or female cyclists.

(Cycling to work this morning I was just doing my usual pace - nothing too strenuous for the commute as I don't like the showers in work. There's one small hill on my commute and I overtook somebody on it. Only for them to speed up when they realised I'm a girl. I pulled in and let them go ahead, but was faster to pull away at the next set of lights. I think there was a battle about 6/7 times from the other person, yet they had no issue with the other male cyclists overtaking him. I wasn't in the mood to play games so I just continued on my merry way, it was nice to have someone to break the wind for me. But it irritates me that I'm perceived to be weaker because I'm a girl. Any of my male cycling friends love it if I overtake them, because they see me as a cyclist, then a girl.)

/rant

The question of abortion is at heart about whether an unborn child is a full human or not

Maybe for you but not for others.
    I've never seen it as being mainly a women's rights issue.

Because the heart of the issue is bodily integrity and because only the bodily integrity of women is at stake, it is, for many, very much a women's rights issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

sullivlo wrote: »
    Mod
    Just a reminder of the thread title. We don't want this to turn into a pro-life/pro-choice debate.

Oh sorry didn't intend to do that. I just wanted to point out the is not as simple as yes or no answer.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I need feminism because the way a woman looks is often seen as more important than her personality or achievements.

One of my friends pointed out on facebook that in the obituary of Victoria Wood in The Times, it alludes to her weight 12 times - six times directly, plus three mentions of her eating habits and three further references to women's body shapes. Then in the second-to-last paragraph (of 32 paragraphs) they mention that she won five BAFTAs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Yeah that bugs me too.
    The fact the Angela Merkel wears the exact same suit every day (just changing the colour) so that people won't comment on her clothes and will comment on what she says. How many male politicians have to make that sort of decision?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Because when I'm out for dinner with my boyfriend the bill is always placed in front of him regardless of whether I asked for it or he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

...I didn't read a single article about Prince's relationship or family status when he died. All of them were on his artistic merit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭ChampagnePop

I don't think I would be very passionate about feminism if there wasn't such an aggressive and persistent campaign by some people to oppress it.
    Particularly when one female says a ridiculous comment but this is then pushed as "a feminist belief", because we all think the same and should take responsibility for half the worlds populations' opinion *RAGE*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondeMoment

I need it because after growing up in a male dominated household, growing up as a complete tomboy and having the same experiences (playing soccer, climbing trees, jumping out of those trees, etc.) as all of my brothers, I was always treated equally. I was capable of the same things as them. "Being a girl" never really came up.

But now that im in the dating world, and I tell guys what im studying in college and what I want to do when im finished my studies, its met with "that'd be tough dont you think?" or "that would be hard going, would you not do something easier?"

WHY??

Id like to think il be more than capable to work in the profession ive chosen with some level of competency after 4-5 years of study!! Just like you, you buffoon you. (Not you reader, the lads this is aimed at! :p)

If we're not equal fella, we're nothing. Goodbye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

MOD: ElectricSexPants, I deleted your post because of whataboutery. Read the first post in this thread and the charter again. If you carry on, you'll be carded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I need it because I just saw a picture of Joan Burton on Twitter. She was with some kids who are up for an award, and she looks genuinely happy for them, and has a beautiful smile. Which made me think of all the horrible stuff people have said about her appearance totally separate to her politics. And I want to shove it down every one of their faces holes and say, "See! A normal woman, with a genuine smile and beauty."

I need feminism because I want everybody to have opportunities ,
    I believe feminism also should push for equality for men also because it will benefit the cause greatly, I think in this day and age
    This idea that you’re raised, that you have to provide, you have to earn, you have to be the breadwinner, is really unfair on men. I don’t think It does them any good.and in the long run is not doing women any good either,
    I’m a young man in my 20s. I can only vouch for the fact that no girl has ever approached me or asked me out on a date herself, and it would be extraordinary for one to pay for my meal. Most guys my age I’ve asked are in the same boat. Its simply not an option for us to wait around and expect a member of the opposite sex to come and start showering me with gifts or start paying the bills.

Here’s the thing – being a breadwinner is the only option as a man and is the root cause off depression and suicide in Ireland and Europe

Unlike men, women in our society still have all these entirely separate sources of income and support that have evolved over the centuries, as they are desired for their looks and femininity alone. Yes, a minority of girls (and generally the ones that don’t take care of themselves in the first place) may not be able to take advantage of this, but it is certainly vastly higher than the portion of men. also
    I think this American style tinder dating culture is leaving young men felling angry and resentful and used

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I need feminism because I'm sick of posters making it about men and derailing the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

The ones who don't take care of themselves. Wow

Don't forget that women are desired
    for their looks and femininity alone.

This kind of utter crap is why I need feminism.

''Cnndie'' you are taking what i said out off context ,I didn't mean it like that and well you know it

I am not your enemy here people
    we are on the same side called ''humanity''the things i'm saying will benefit feminism

we must get away from this american type off feminism and more danish type which includes men issues

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

''Cnndie'' you are taking what i said out off context ,I didn't mean it like that and well you know it

I am not your enemy here people
    we are on the same side called ''humanity''the things i'm saying will benefit feminism

we must get away from this american type off feminism and more danish type which includes men issues

That kind of patronising bull is not what this thread is about. You're making this thread all about men which just proves feminism is still needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Caught an episode of This American Life (link) today. It discusses FGM without sparing any of details. Disturbing and compelling listening.

Advertisement