Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

I need feminism because... [READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING]

• 07-04-2016 7:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Of late, there have been requests to have a thread where posters of the lounge can discuss feminism. In the past, these threads have attracted a large gathering of trolls, so this time round we are going to have some clear cut rules. Failure to abide by them will result in cards/bans.

• No whataboutery.
    • No discussion of other threads or forums or their moderation.
    • No criticising others opinions. We are not of single mind, but you can disagree without being insulting.
    • No generalisation of genders.
    • No transphobic attitudes.
    • Remember where you are posting. This is The Ladies' Lounge. A forum primarily for women to discuss women's issues from a woman's perspective.
    The Charter applies. All of it. It is your responsibility to read it before posting.
    Remember, If you think someone is breaking one of those rules, or you have a problem with a post, please report it. Don't derail the thread.

So, with that all said, go forth and discuss. Why do you need feminism?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

... I actually feel lucky to have made it to this age without having been raped, and only having been sexually assaulted a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

..I dread renewing my advertisement for my English classes because I get at least one obscene phone call every time from guys pretending they want to learn English.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Because a woman got a criminal conviction for having an abortion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

eviltwin wrote: »
    Because a woman got a criminal conviction for having an abortion.

The NI woman who took the pills? Must have been a dreadful experience.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Because I know that I'm "lucky" that I'm well respected and have wage parity with the men in my sector.

Edit: I realise now this looks like a humble brag. It so isn't meant that way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

I need feminism because of the need for a [READ FIRST POST BEFORE POSTING] disclaimer in this, and in any thread about feminism on an internet forum.

I need feminism because of the particular need for this disclaimer in a forum designed specifically for women and women's issues.

I need feminism because as a woman who's been taught to be ambitious, strong, and to never feel like anything is beyond my limit - feminism is not a dirty word. Feminism is what got me there. Feminism is not about sexism, or misandry, or preferentialism, or any of the things that popular discourse nowadays will tell us that it is.

I need feminism because I love women and men equally, I recognize their differences and will never accept a society or a notion or an opinion that deems me less capable, less responsible, less entitled, less ANYTHING because of my gender.

I need feminism because I'm tired of being ashamed or afraid to call myself a feminist.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭flowerchild

I need feminism because I wouldn't be me without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

For many reasons, but the one that jumped out at me today is the depressing (but not surprising) result of statistical analysis of comments left under articles on the Guardian website:
    New research into our own comment threads provides the first quantitative evidence for what female journalists have long suspected: that articles written by women attract more abuse and dismissive trolling than those written by men, regardless of what the article is about.

Although the majority of our regular opinion writers are white men, we found that those who experienced the highest levels of abuse and dismissive trolling were not. The 10 regular writers who got the most abuse were eight women (four white and four non-white) and two black men. Two of the women and one of the men were gay. And of the eight women in the “top 10”, one was Muslim and one Jewish.

And the 10 regular writers who got the least abuse? All men.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

If we don't want to be shouted down we need to keep speaking up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If you don't know Isabel Hardman she's a political commentator in the UK. I've heard regularly on the BBC, seems well-informed and good at her job.

When I read this earlier today it struck me as being why the Picard facepalm was invented.

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/719805680207708160

https://twitter.com/IsabelHardman/status/719806951564124160

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Because when a male political commentator is described, it's never prefaced by "seems well-informed and good at his job". It's just assumed he is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Because I shouldn't need to have feminism. I should be treated as an equal rather than the presence of a Y chromosome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I need feminism because there is actually a backlash at colleges trying to introduce consent classes. And that backlash is 99.9% from men.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I need equalism because........ oh wait :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

B0jangles wrote: »
    For many reasons, but the one that jumped out at me today is the depressing (but not surprising) result of statistical analysis of comments left under articles on the Guardian website:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/apr/12/the-dark-side-of-guardian-comments

If we don't want to be shouted down we need to keep speaking up.

I wonder are the journalists getting the most abuse the writers of click-bait feminist articles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

allym wrote: »
    I need feminism because there is actually a backlash at colleges trying to introduce consent classes. And that backlash is 99.9% from men.

I need feminism to teach me how not to rape women. Oh wait.... No, I knew that was wrong already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭fatknacker

Any time a woman highlights a gender injustice, anything to do with double standards or an unfairness in her world, no matter how calmly...she gets called, or is compared to a hysterical man-hating feminazi who plays victim at any given opportunity.
    Then is subjected to a volley of whatabouts and "logic-bombs" that her emotional mind can't handle.
    Which is in truth, just someone arguing aggressively and relentlessly in a manner that would never be done in such a way if the person they were "discussing at" were someone they had any respect for in the first place.

Letree wrote: »
    I wonder are the journalists getting the most abuse the writers of click-bait feminist articles.

MOD Less of the whataboutery please, do it again and cards will be handed out.

FortySeven wrote: »
    I need feminism to teach me how not to rape women. Oh wait.... No, I knew that was wrong already.

MOD Less of the whataboutery here please. Do it again and cards will be handed out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Ok. So I need feminism so I don't have to listen to opposing viewpoints that I don't like.

Ps. That was not whataboutery. If I labelled all women as potential anything's I would be shouted down as a generalizing bully. These consent classes are labelling ALL men potential rapists. Is that what you all need feminism for?

I believe I have the right of reply when you label myself and my son to be either too stupid to understand no, or so criminal that we would commit rape.

I was abused by my mother as a child. Can I send an entire gender for reeducation classes too?

MOD: FortySeven, you were warned. Reread the first post and if you continue to argue with mod actions on thread, you'll get a three day ban from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I need feminism because even in 2016 there is an still an assumption that a woman is mainly responsible for housework and hygiene in a shared home. That a messy home is somehow 'her' standards slipping. Not his. I need feminism because emotional labour in the home still typically falls to the woman to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I need feminism because of studies like this...https://www.glassdoor.com/research/studies/gender-pay-gap/

People keep saying that women get paid less because they work part time or they choose lower paying fields. This study shows that even when accounting for same Education, Years of Experience, Industry and Job title, women get paid less than men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Because I'm judged on the size of my chest rather than the size of my brain.

Because some men think it's flattering to grope me in bars.

Because when I shut down flirting, I'm a frigid bitch.

Because women still don't have bodily autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I need feminism because...

I'm not "old enough" to decide to get a permanent contraception, even if I pay.

I don't have bodily autonomy

A man backs off if I say I have a boyfriend but not that im not interested.

I get cat called and even groped in the street.

Because I always feel the need to apologise for my opinions. God forbid I'm seen as "bossy" or a "bitch".

Because even when I do have the courage to express an opinion, I'm told why that's wrong.

Because there is a constant negative reaction to a "feminist" idea or opinion. Basically we're all men haters for daring to have an idea about equality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

hello ladies, I'm a guy so I hope i'm not intruding but I have a serious question that I would be interested in your views. It is in relation to abortion. Firstly it is my personal opinion that a woman should have a right to control over her own body. No one could force to give a blood transfusion against my will. However is repeal of abortion law a feminist issue when it seems to me that quite a large number of women are bitterly opposed to abortion. Surely as women their views could be considered as feminist opinion.
    I don't have any figures for the actual numbers but just based on conversations with friends especially for people over 40 the ones most likely to oppose a abortion are women. Again just anecdotal. Lucinda creighton effectively gave up a career in politics on this issue.
    Some people have quite rightly in my opinion condemned the belfast case but it was two female housemates that reported her. I don't think two male housemates would have as easily. I'm guessing the general demographic on this forum will be younger with more pro choice views but if you were to take all the women of irelands views (women only) what would the overall opinion be do you think.
    Again i'm just interested in opinions I don't want to argue a point since I don't have any good evidence. Thanks

I'm not sure if discussion is allowed on this thread so mods feel free to delete if not.

Now this is only my personal opinion. But I would consider it a feminist issue by the fact that we, as women, do not have bodily autonomy and the right to make full reproductive choices. Men do.

So women are not equal to men in that respect, and it is therefore a feminist issue. Whether someone agrees with women having that choice or not does not take away from it being a feminist issue, if that makes sense? That's just their personal view.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you don't believe a woman should have the right to decide what happens to her body then you are not a feminist.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭joe40

eviltwin wrote: »
    If you don't believe a woman should have the right to decide what happens to her body then you are not a feminist.

Personally I agree with you but I just want to clarify the terminology.
    Are you saying that in your opinion a woman that does not support or agree with abortion cannot call herself a feminist. Would that be a consensus opinion do you think.

Sorry if this is not a debate thread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I would argue that the concepts of feminism and pro-life/anti-abortion are mutually exclusive. The two clash fundamentally and so are extremely difficult if not impossible to reconcile.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement