Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

We’re due to fly from Dublin airport on the day the pope arrives. I think he arrives at 10am or so and we fly at 12:45. Is his arrival likely to cause extra security/delays or will he just land and be whisked away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone know what time is the morning duty free in Dublin T1 opens at?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭VG31

Practically everywhere opens at 4 am.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 beebah

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Hmmmm.

Minimum bid seems to be €880.  Close to €1000 gets me halfway around the barometer thingy.

Think I'll pass!

ETA - that was only for one way!  Minimum for the flight home is €940 :eek:

That would just short of quadruple the original flight cost - and that's minimum bids :eek:

Jaypers.  Clearly I'm a natural born cheapskate!
    Hmmmm.

Minimum bid seems to be €880.  Close to €1000 gets me halfway around the barometer thingy.

Think I'll pass!

That would just short of quadruple the original flight cost - and that's minimum bids :eek:

Hmmmm.

Think I'll pass!

Heidi, if you're still interested in doing this, hang on to the original email, and check again as you get closer. The minimum may come down. 
    My dad still travels to Ireland or France from the US once a year, to visit family. He's 95 years old, and 6 feet 4 inches tall-- at that age & height, I try to book him into business/first class when we can afford to so he'll have the room he needs & extra attention, if necessary. 
    Anyway, I've only been successful using the Aer Lingus upgrade email once: I didn't post a bid until about 2 weeks before the flight, and I was able to 'bid' for about €450 rather than the €800 they originally set as a minimum. It seems that as the departure date gets closer, if seats are still available, they'll accept lower bids. This was for a November flight-- I would guess that if it was during the high season or closer to it, the first class seats would have been grabbed already.
    I've had better luck getting him bumped up for a decent price at the airport, on the day of the flight. I've paid as little as €200 euros. I think that was on Lufthansa.
    While I agree with the previous post about the shortness of the return flight, if you are taking one of the red-eyes that leaves JFK or Boston around 20:00 or 21:00, having the fully reclining sleeper seats available in business class can be fantastic, at least if you need to be semi-normal the next day!.Personally, I find flying from east to west much easier than from west to east, but that's probably because I usually go cheap for my own flights and take a lot of red-eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,405 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Loop
    Mon - Sat 04:00 - 21:00

Sun 04:30 -21:00

https://www.dublinairport.com/airport-shopping/terminal-1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

beebah wrote: »
    Heidi, if you're still interested in doing this, hang on to the original email, and check again as you get closer. The minimum may come down.
    My dad still travels to Ireland or France from the US once a year, to visit family. He's 95 years old, and 6 feet 4 inches tall-- at that age & height, I try to book him into business/first class when we can afford to so he'll have the room he needs & extra attention, if necessary.
    Anyway, I've only been successful using the Aer Lingus upgrade email once: I didn't post a bid until about 2 weeks before the flight, and I was able to 'bid' for about €450 rather than the €800 they originally set as a minimum. It seems that as the departure date gets closer, if seats are still available, they'll accept lower bids. This was for a November flight-- I would guess that if it was during the high season or closer to it, the first class seats would have been grabbed already.
    I've had better luck getting him bumped up for a decent price at the airport, on the day of the flight. I've paid as little as €200 euros. I think that was on Lufthansa.
    While I agree with the previous post about the shortness of the return flight, if you are taking one of the red-eyes that leaves JFK or Boston around 20:00 or 21:00, having the fully reclining sleeper seats available in business class can be fantastic, at least if you need to be semi-normal the next day!.Personally, I find flying from east to west much easier than from west to east, but that's probably because I usually go cheap for my own flights and take a lot of red-eyes.

Thanks for this. V. interesting!

The flights are actually to/from San Francisco, so 11 hours over, and over 10 hours back - so a business class seat would certainly be worth paying something for! But not more than the actual ticket cost, for me.

But I'll keep checking in with the email and see if it comes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Mr.S wrote: »
    Land and whisked away, he won't go through T1/T2.

Biggest potential problem will be rubberneckers turning up for a gawk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Hi,

What time do the check-in desks open in the morning? Have a 5:30 flight to Alicante in July and will need to check a bag.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Have you already paid for the bag? You can use one of the machines there to print the label yourself, stick it on the case and then put it on the belt. No need to queue at the check in desk.

• Advertisement

miezekatze wrote: »
    Have you already paid for the bag? You can use one of the machines there to print the label yourself, stick it on the case and then put it on the belt. No need to queue at the check in desk.

Haven't paid for the bag yet but I plan on doing so. Can I place it on the belt at anytime i.e. 3am? Just out of curiosity, what time do the desks open at?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭acer911

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Haven't paid for the bag yet but I plan on doing so. Can I place it on the belt at anytime i.e. 3am? Just out of curiosity, what time do the desks open at?

Thanks again!

Curious about this. Why would you want to be there 2.5 hours before departure? Bag drop closes 45 mins before your flight! That should be your target not 2.5 hours!

Just curious that's all. Getting a bus out. Will be arriving close to the flight time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

shuffles03 wrote: »
    Hi,

What time do the check-in desks open in the morning? Have a 5:30 flight to Alicante in July and will need to check a bag.

Thanks in advance.

What airport and what airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 cjoco

Hi anyone ever used the showers in either the Daa's lounge in T2 or in the EI lounge... thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve used the ones by baggage claim . You need to be flying business class or have above basic loyalty card

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ted1 wrote: »
    I’ve used the ones by baggage claim . You need to be flying business class or have above basic loyalty card

DAA don't care about loyalty cards or whether you turn left or right when boarding, they take cash.....

Lounge access is priced at €25 per person when you book online or €29 per person when you purchase at the airport

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/travel-services/executive-lounges

and Aer Lingus won't turn you away if you fork out €30. Scroll down to 'Pre-paid Lounge Pass Fees' .....

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/airport-information/airport-lounges/#/tab-0-aer-lingus-lounges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

How much is it? Bringing a bike case but the locks are a bit dodge so I would like to get it wrapped. It seems it's available at T1 but it doesn't give any pricing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Just wondering how much this costs? Have a bike box which is a little dodgy on the locks so would like to wrapmit for extra peace of mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I haven't seen it offered in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

As far as I remember it's €15 for small luggage and €20 for a large piece of luggage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

PCros wrote: »
    As far as I remember it's €15 for small luggage and €20 for a large piece of luggage.

But where, L1011 hasnt seen it and neither have I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

"Can I have my luggage wrapped?

Yes, ExcessBaggage.ie are based on the Departures level Terminal 1 opposite check-in area 8. Opening hours are 05.00 – 17.00 daily"

https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/useful-information/frequently-asked-questions

And:

https://www.leftluggage.ie/services.php

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

L1011 wrote: »
    I haven't seen it offered in Dublin?

The counter next to Sky Handling in T1 departures do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Happened to notice it last week at the counters near departures entrance T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Got it done for €12 in T1. Nice and quick and did the job for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

Hey just a quick question, planning on using the fast track, have my car booked for 5:30 in green car park so should be in T1 by 6:00 are fast track strict if your early or late for the time you picked? Like if I booked 6:00 & showed up 6:10/6:15 will I have missed my booking time?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

nowayout1 wrote: »
    Hey just a quick question, planning on using the fast track, have my car booked for 5:30 in green car park so should be in T1 by 6:00 are fast track strict if your early or late for the time you picked? Like if I booked 6:00 & showed up 6:10/6:15 will I have missed my booking time?

Not strict. I’ve shown up a good bit after my booked time. Anything can happen, you’ve paid for it. Within reason, stuff them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭nowayout1

Idbatterim wrote: »
    Not strict. I’ve shown up a good bit after my booked time. Anything can happen, you’ve paid for it. Within reason, stuff them.

Cheers man was worried they wouldn’t allow you through grand gonna book it now, hopefully butlers coffee is gonna be nice

Advertisement