Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

We’re flying on Tuesday 26th with an 11yr old, 2.5yr old and 1 yr old and I’m debating as to whether or not to pay the extra few quid for the fast track option. Flight is at a decent time, Midday from T2 (eu flight) so it’ll be really only holiday goers in the queue.

What do you guys think?? Waste of money or worth it to avoid any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Bring a buggy and you’ll be ushered through the fast Hayes any way as buggies don’t fit through the usual gates. That’ll save time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Midday on a Tuesday in T2. Should be fine without fast track

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

ted1 wrote: »
    Bring a buggy and you’ll be ushered through the fast Hayes any way as buggies don’t fit through the usual gates. That’ll save time.

Double buggy it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Is it better to buy sun cream after you’ve checked in or wait til you get to your destination ?
    Only bringing carry on bag so that’s why I’m asking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,375 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Get a small one in Aldi then when you away get a large packet in the supermarket. It might be a day or two before you get s chance when you are away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

ted1 wrote: »
    Get a small one in Aldi then when you away get a large packet in the supermarket. It might be a day or two before you get s chance when you are away.

Do Aldi do mini ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Go to a 1 euro shop. Buy empty containers that are allowed through security. Fill with sun cream from your existing large bottles that you have hanging about. Top tip ! Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

If you do buy after security, go to boots. They're quite reasonable for any toiletries. Same price as their usual shops

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Put the sun cream in your checked in the luggage you’re gonna be checking in. That’s what I always do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

6541 wrote: »
    Go to a 1 euro shop. Buy empty containers that are allowed through security. Fill with sun cream from your existing large bottles that you have hanging about. Top tip ! Lol.

That doesn't work for the sooper dooper cans of Lidl F30 spray that are on sale for half nothing recently :mad:

Good tip all the same though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,113 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

fxotoole wrote: »
    Put the sun cream in your checked in the luggage you’re gonna be checking in. That’s what I always do.

The Op said he was only bringing carry on !

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Buying Aldi but not Aldi in Ireland wait until you arrive at your destination.

fxotoole wrote: »

Did you miss the bit where they're only bringing carry on bags?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Did you miss the bit where they're only bringing carry on bags?

Apparently so

• Registered Users Posts: 17,332 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you're going to Europe check if there is a Lidl/Aldi near buy and get it there - sun cream prices can be crazy in some tourist areas
    Can always fill up a small container for carry on to do you the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Aldi do mini bottles for a few Euro. They’ll keep you going until you can buy locally

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭greentea is just wrong

Bought suncream in the airport , and it's generally reasonable enough. You can get the minis bottle for 2 or 3 euro, or a big bottle for around 10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ah I just buy it over there in a corner shop, save my bag space for stuff like makeup / creams I wanna bring

I've just booked transatlantic flights with Aer Lingus for later in the year.

Got an email (presumably generic, sent to everyone) offering me the chance to bid for an upgrade.

Anyone know what sort of money might actually stand a chance of winning this bid? I've vaguely heard about this before, but have never come across anyone actually doing it.

I don't fancy throwing a few hundred more after the already expensive flights - but if there was a chance there was a bargain to be had......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

Have you clicked through to try? There's usually a minimum bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

There's a barometer which indicates whether your bid is weak or strong. If you don't bid when you get the offer, you won't get it again.

Hmmmm.

Minimum bid seems to be €880. Close to €1000 gets me halfway around the barometer thingy.

Think I'll pass!

ETA - that was only for one way! Minimum for the flight home is €940 :eek:

That would just short of quadruple the original flight cost - and that's minimum bids :eek:

Jaypers. Clearly I'm a natural born cheapskate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I wouldn't bother for the return - it's only 6ish hours from JFK.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭wall

Hi,
    Flying out of T2 this Saturday, 23rd June, flight time 11:45. Does anyone here have an idea of what the ques would be like for security about 9:30/10:00? Would Fast-Track be much more pleasant? Its for myself, wife & 3 kids. It would be 32euro for Fast-Track, but, if i thought security would take an hour, i would much prefer to spend the 32 on the pass than have the kids getting bored in line for that long, after all, we're on our holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,549 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Queue should be around 20-30 minutes at that time this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

wall wrote: »
    Hi,
    Flying out of T2 this Saturday, 23rd June, flight time 11:45. Does anyone here have an idea of what the ques would be like for security about 9:30/10:00? Would Fast-Track be much more pleasant? Its for myself, wife & 3 kids. It would be 32euro for Fast-Track, but, if i thought security would take an hour, i would much prefer to spend the 32 on the pass than have the kids getting bored in line for that long, after all, we're on our holidays.
    It never takes anything like an hour. It won't be fun, shuffling along with kids in tow but even on crazy busy days, its not more than 15-20 minutes.

Give yourself a safety margin of 45 mins and buy them treats airside.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,194 ✭✭✭✭DvB

wall wrote: »
    Hi,

We're flying the following Saturday at roughly the same time (4 of us in total, 2 kids) and we went with the fast track, we wanted things to go as smooth as reasonably possible and have used it every year for our annual holidays & if flying at the weekend with kids wouldnt do without it to be honest (didnt get it one year & regretted it after a half hour queue with 2 bored 4 year olds)
    Given you'll have spent multiples of the cost on the holiday itself we see it as a reasonable outlay to save us the hassle of normal security...
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We always use the fast track. For the cost of it, its worth it.
    An easy trip is priceless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭whodafunk

whodafunk wrote: »
    Hi All,

I availed of a really good service last summer where I dropped off the large baggage after 10pm the night before we flew away.

I don't see anything on the Ryanair website. Could somebody please clarify if this service is/is no longer available?

Thanks guys.

Just to follow up own post on this. I checked with a Ryanair representative on the morning we flew out. This service is still available- the lady said they just do not advertise it and she didn't understand why as the staff on to cover tgis service at night are really quiet.

Advertisement