Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

DeadParrot wrote: »
    I've a silly stupid question.
    Do AL really do no free baggage bar carry on now?
    Booking flights for me wife and daughter for a week and it's looking like an extra 150-200 for our bags at least?
    how many bags are you bringing and what do you need, for just a week ?

If all 3 of you bring hand luggage then that's 3 x 10kg = 30kg of baggage with you.
    If you check-in 3 x 20kg bags (=60kg), then yea, it'll cost a bit, but really do you NEED 90kg of luggage with you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

how many bags are you bringing and what do you need, for just a week ?

If all 3 of you bring hand luggage then that's 3 x 10kg = 30kg of baggage with you.
    If you check-in 3 x 20kg bags (=60kg), then yea, it'll cost a bit, but really do you NEED 90kg of luggage with you ?

Does a buggy count?
    I've a two year old so dont think she'll take 10kg carry on :pac:
    Dunno 1st family holiday thing to surprise her at xmas. Dont want to **** it up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Does a buggy count?

With an infant fare, you can bring a buggy and one other piece of baby equipment for free, car seat, booster seat or travel cot

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-information/travelling-with-children/baggage-allowance/#/tab-0-flights-within-europe

That’s the only luggage included in that fare. I recently flew to Paris with AL for a week, two adults, 1 child, 1 baby. We took all the nappies we would need and some food items and we still managed with two hand luggage and one checked bag. We were going to Disneyland so there was a few bulky princess dresses, heavy clothes and a baby carrier packed and we still had plenty of space. It sounds like you are planning on bringing far too much stuff. Trust me, when you’re trying to manage a baby, buggy etc, the less luggage you have to cart around the better.

Does a buggy count?
    You definitely need to check-in one bag, and if needs be a 10kg carry on, but any more than that you are doing it out of comfort rather than necessity.

if its 2 adults then at least one of ye will have the ability to bring a 10kg carry on.
    The other should have a rucksack with child provisions, i.e. snacks, change of clothes, nappies, empty water bottle (to fill behind security) etc.
    If bringing a buggy then check it in at bulky luggage as its next to no use to you behind security, especially as a 2 year old can walk or be carried and wont stay in the buggy anyhow most likely.

My wife flew a few times with the kids on her own when one was 2 and the other a new born/ infant and one checked-in case was sufficient along with the bag of supplies. Your situation is that you've 1 more adult and one less kid, so should be a breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Hi. Travelling Dublin to Heathrow T2 with Aer Lingus, arriving 8.05 am and trying to make a connection for Mumbai at 10.05 with Sky Jet. Independently booked so can't book baggage through so have to collect and bring it to Terminal 4. Will I have time. They say 90 mins fine for connecting flights but as I have to collect baggage at T2 and bring it to T4. Any opinions. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You have to walk to the train station and take the train to T4. It's a solid 15 min to the train station plus waiting time for the train. Only takes 4 or 5 min though.

If your Aer Lingus lands early (v possible) you would be just about OK, but your timing is very tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 176 ✭✭nigel_wilson

Are there any restaurants that serve beer after U.S. pre-clearance? Will be going to JFK this week and it seems from what people say that you are stuck in the gates.

Also will alcohol be served at 07:00AM?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

I assume you mean Dublin? Shannon also has USPC.

Alcohol can be served at any time in the airport after security, however I'm unsure if there's any bars after USPC. You could try the 51st and green lounge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,786 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Dont be an arse hole on the plane.

I was sitting beside a guy coming back from Munich who was giving the air stewardess a good hammering over having to put his bag in the hold.

I told him nicely to calm down bud or they will kick ye off.

And of course he was taken off. Muppet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I assume you mean Dublin? Shannon also has USPC.

Alcohol can be served at any time in the airport after security, however I'm unsure if there's any bars after USPC. You could try the 51st and green lounge.
    Yeah there are bars after USBC at DUB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

there are a couple of coffee docks and a bar. Not going to comment on drinking at 7.00am except just to take it handy as Gate Agents can and will refuse to board you if they think you will be a nuisance on the flight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

I’m a frequent traveler through Dublin airport and for the past six months or so I’ve noticed retail units being shuttered.

It’s got to the extent now that on one side. There’s just WH Smith, the pharmacy & Jo Malone open. Everything else is gone - Victoria’s Secret, the whiskey shop in the middle, Wright’s etc

On the other side, I’d say about half them are open, the rest are shuttered.

Further down to terminal 1, there’s a much broader range. More even than ever existed in T2.

The alcohol, & perfumes section is also. Very small and I just realised earlier that I couldn’t see any tobacco on sale. You have to go to a small non descriptive counter. This may have always been the case but I wouldn’t seek them out so didn’t notice.

Although terminal 2 is newer and shinier than terminal 1 it’s a very poor companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

They’re refurbishing and redesigning the retail area in T2 presumably in time for the summer season.

LXFlyer wrote: »
    They’re refurbishing and redesigning the retail area in T2 presumably in time for the summer season.

Looks woeful right now. Even when full there’s a very poor selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

OU812 wrote: »
    Looks woeful right now. Even when full there’s a very poor selection.

Not even worth looking in them with the prices.

Don't find the prices too bad, to be honest. Things like perfumes have gone up in price over the years, but I had to pick up some makeup items for someone last time & they were a good 15%+ cheaper than in the city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

OU812 wrote:
    The alcohol, & perfumes section is also. Very small and I just realised earlier that I couldn’t see any tobacco on sale. You have to go to a small non descriptive counter. This may have always been the case but I wouldn’t seek them out so didn’t notice.

partly due to restrictions on advertising and branding. I think they have to prevent u16's from entering also.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭LiamaDelta

OU812 wrote:

partly due to restrictions on advertising and branding. I think they have to prevent u16's from entering also.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Hi there, we're taking a 7.30am flight from Dublin Airport in June, with our two children (older lad will be 3 and a half, younger lad will be 9 months).

We live about 1 & 3/4 hours from Dublin Airport so planning to stay in a nearby hotel the night before, then I'll drop them off at airport, park car in blue car park and get bus to terminal.

Prices seem really expensive for the hotel - anyone have any suggestions?

Also would welcome any tips for travelling with multiple little people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Premier Inn Dublin airport is where we usually stay if flying out of Dublin on an early flight
    €77.90 B&B in mid July for two adults and one 12yr old, not bad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Sudafed for their little ears for the flights and a fully charged IPad or other entertainment device, especially for the toddler

Premier Inn Dublin airport is where we usually stay if flying out of Dublin on an early flight
    €77.90 B&B in mid July for two adults and one 12yr old, not bad
    +1, and they have a shuttle and cheap parking so you could just leave the car and all go together.
    We also did the Holiday inn express with the kids when staying near the airport, and it was grand. They charge €6 per day for their car park, so again could work out handiest to leave the car and just let them drop you to the airport with the shuttle bus all as a group.
    The HI express prices include brekkie, the Premier inn its extra (tenner a head for adults, kids free) so all works out similar.

If you have to drop bags, you can do that with aer lingus the night before, no idea about Ryanair but thats what their website is there for !

for the younger child, try and time a feed for take off and landing so their ears dont hurt.
    And all the obvious other stuff too as if youre having a car journey, i.e. bag with you with change(s) of clothes, snacks and anything else that you need on board to "service" a small child.

You can bring empty kiddy water bottles with you which you can fill with water from a bottle or tap inside security. Tetra paks of pre-made aptimil are also allowed and great on board (also available from boots in Terminal 1 behind security, if they arent sold out! )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Pack more nappies and spare clothes in your carry-on than you think you'll need. And then add some more.

We flew Dublin-New York years ago with a 1 year old who just happend to catch some kind of 24 hour bug that manifested during the flight. We had streams coming out from both ends for the entire flight and ended up disembarking with the child in just a vest and a nappy bursting at the seams, having gone through several changes of clothes.

Of course, as soon as we arrived, she was fine and we all enjoyed the trip. Though I can't imagine what state we would have been in if there had been any dealys to the flight post check-in.

Also, shout out to Aer Lingus cabin crew who were magnificent and really helped reassure increasingly nervous mum & dad.

Enjoy the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Travelling outside the EU in coming months. What is the limit on Alcohol I can buy in Dublin Airport as duty free prices?

Or is there any limit? Pretty sure there used to be, but I can't find any info anywhere.

Seve OB wrote: »
    Travelling outside the EU in coming months. What is the limit on Alcohol I can buy in Dublin Airport as duty free prices?

Or is there any limit? Pretty sure there used to be, but I can't find any info anywhere.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/customs-information-for-travelling-and-duty-free-allowances/travelling-from-outside-the-eu/duty-free-allowances.aspx

Everything you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,944 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Depends on the limits of the country you're ultimately travelling to.

AFAIK Dublin Airport will sell you any amount you like (presumably within some sort of reason) as long as you have a boarding card for outside the EU.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Depends on the limits of the country you're ultimately travelling to.

AFAIK Dublin Airport will sell you any amount you like (presumably within some sort of reason) as long as you have a boarding card for outside the EU.

Thanks.
    Heading to Dubai so being basically tax free over there I'm not sure they have limits other than it is near on impossible to have a few drinks over there without having to take out a second mortgage!

Was hoping to pick up 4 or 5 bottles of spirits to mix up a few cocktails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Thanks.
    Heading to Dubai so being basically tax free over there I'm not sure they have limits other than it is near on impossible to have a few drinks over there without having to take out a second mortgage!

Was hoping to pick up 4 or 5 bottles of spirits to mix up a few cocktails.

Pretty sure you can buy duty free on arrival into Dubai?

Advertisement