Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

We won't argue anyway - just nod and smile! Have to bring choc and crisps to niece!:):):)

Best approach! If they ask if you have food, just tell them. I was bringing tea and chocolate to my aunts (the essentials) and they didn't have any problem with that. Even got a bit of a smile from them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Best approach! If they ask if you have food, just tell them. I was bringing tea and chocolate to my aunts (the essentials) and they didn't have any problem with that. Even got a bit of a smile from them. :)

You should be declaring all foods anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Best approach! If they ask if you have food, just tell them. I was bringing tea and chocolate to my aunts (the essentials) and they didn't have any problem with that. Even got a bit of a smile from them.

They're alot friendlier than they used to be in my experience.

You should be declaring all foods anyway.

Where did I say not to? I just found it odd that they confiscated a pre-packed sandwich when declared.

I agree that there is no point trying to hide it but if they don't ask you the question, then I'm not going to randomly go "oh & I've a load of chocolate & tea in my case".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

So endofrainbow, are you suggesting I need to do that - randomly tell them that my luggage (which parted from me in the previous hour) has crisps and chocolate in it????

• Advertisement

So endofrainbow, are you suggesting I need to do that - randomly tell them that my luggage (which parted from me in the previous hour) has crisps and chocolate in it????

I'm suggesting that you declare all foodstuffs when going through US Customs..nothing random about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Yes. You should really read the customs declaration that you're signing...

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Declare all foods enev what’s in hold luggage . Sandwich was taken probably because it had meat on it as you are not allied to bring meat passed immigration .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Ryanair have now copied Aer Lingus with regard to bag drop-off the night before. See text below:

Ryanair want to make your airport experience as stress free as possible and are introducing a new customer service initiative. Customers travelling on an early morning flights, up to 09.00am & departing Dublin, can check-in their checked baggage at the airport the evening before their early morning departure. Outlined below are the steps you need to take in order to avail of this service.

• Bag drop desks will be open from 20:00 the evening before your scheduled flight in Terminal 1 at Dublin Airport.

• Customers availing of this service must have checked-in online in advance and have their boarding pass and travel documents with them when checking-in their bags

• If one of more passengers in a booking has a checked bag, one customer may check in all bags on the booking once they have to hand the boarding passes and passports of their travelling companions.

• Baggage will be subject to normal security screening procedures and customers are required to remain in the airport terminal for 15 minutes after the bag has been checked should security have questions in relation to your bags.

• Remember, when packing, don’t pack any essentials in your checked luggage as once checked-in, you will not have access to the bags until you reach your destination.

• All customers must have their boarding passes and travel documentation with them at the boarding gate on the day of travel.

Airline staff will be on hand to help you at the airport should you need any assistance, however if you have any questions in relation to this service please click here to chat with one of our support agents who will be happy to assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Aer Lingus will issue boarding cards and check bags 17:00-20:00 the night before (even for flights with connections on other carriers, or even sold by other carriers with the first flight on EI) which is a lot more convenient than after 20:00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Aer Lingus will issue boarding cards and check bags 17:00-20:00 the night before (even for flights with connections on other carriers, or even sold by other carriers with the first flight on EI) which is a lot more convenient than after 20:00

That's something to consider if you have a choice between Aer Lingus and Ryanair on the route, and if you can be at the airport at that time, but it is still a change in Ryanair policy which will be useful for some people.

You're welcome.

Yes. You should really read the customs declaration that you're signing...

Of course answer the declaration honestly - not saying don't.
    I'm suggesting that you declare all foodstuffs when going through US Customs..nothing random about it.

If you've declared on the customs declaration then you're under no obligation to voice it as well is what I was getting at. If they ask me if I have and what it is, I'll tell them openly and honestly. However if they don't, well I've put it on the form and they've chosen not to question me so that's on them.

flight 10.50 Boarding pass says 'Boarding 9.05' ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Going to the US?

Yes - that seems incredibly early to (supposedly) board , does it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Yes - that seems incredibly early to (supposedly) board , does it not?

It's meant to encourage you to get any shopping done, food eaten, and get through US Customs as early as possible and be in the boarding area in plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭pl4ichjgy17zwd

It means don't be at US customs any later than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Regarding the Bag-drop the night before, Ry have been doing that for a number of years now. Got emails ref. it ages ago.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Regarding the Bag-drop the night before, Ry have been doing that for a number of years now. Got emails ref. it ages ago.

Considering the perils of a big tube of toothpaste, I would have thought the overnight baggage thing could be a huge security risk, but I guess they scan them as soon as they're left.

Of course answer the declaration honestly - not saying don't.

If you've declared on the customs declaration then you're under no obligation to voice it as well is what I was getting at. If they ask me if I have and what it is, I'll tell them openly and honestly. However if they don't, well I've put it on the form and they've chosen not to question me so that's on them.

Where did I say to voice it ? I said declare as in , on the Customs form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Can you buy cartons of cigarettes in Dublin airport if you are flying to Geneva (with Switzerland not being in the EU) and if so, how much are they roughly?

ncmc wrote: »
    Can you buy cartons of cigarettes in Dublin airport if you are flying to Geneva (with Switzerland not being in the EU) and if so, how much are they roughly?

Yes. E55 a sleeve if memory serves.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

spurious wrote: »
    Considering the perils of a big tube of toothpaste, I would have thought the overnight baggage thing could be a huge security risk, but I guess they scan them as soon as they're left.

Liquids in carry-on luggage are considered a risk as potentially a component of a destructive device to be assembled in the cabin, possibly using ingredients carried on board by more than one passenger. Which is why individual containers of liquids in the hold are not considered a security risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Is there a self service system for Ryanair bag drop?

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

Gael23 wrote: »

As far as I know yes, at least there was.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Gael23 wrote: »
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭NavyandBlue

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to walk between the duty free sections of terminal one and terminal two in Dublin airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Does anyone know roughly how long it takes to walk between the duty free sections of terminal one and terminal two in Dublin airport?

About ten minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I have a flight to NY leaving 10:50am on Saturday. I believe the pope is landing 10:30am. Does anyone think there will be any traffic issues to the airport that morning or am i ok to leave the same time as per usual, wondering if there will be much traffic with worshippers trying to get a look at him...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Micky 32 wrote: »
    I have a flight to NY leaving 10:50am on Saturday. I believe the pope is landing 10:30am. Does anyone think there will be any traffic issues to the airport that morning or am i ok to leave the same time as per usual, wondering if there will be much traffic with worshippers trying to get a look at him...

The Papal arrival won’t affect you. M50 and M1 are open. You will be queuing up for boarding (if not already onboard) at 10.30.
    There may be some delay in pushback and taxi associated with his arrival.

Advertisement