Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 smurph6

I've a similar question. I'm flying out Saturday at 6.30pm. Was planning on taking the aircoach up from Cork. Will delays be bad? I know on the aircoach site they said they'll be dropping passengers to Dublin airport first as opposed going through city. Just want to know what kinda time should I give myself

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

Does anyone know if Ryanair will take a cabin bag at the check in area rather than just at the gate when boarding? I know aer lingus will and it makes much easier in the airport if I don't have a bag. And i will gave a checked in bag too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Robin132 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Ryanair will take a cabin bag at the check in area rather than just at the gate when boarding? I know aer lingus will and it makes much easier in the airport if I don't have a bag. And i will gave a checked in bag too.

From November it's the only way without priority, and they'll charge you for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Robin132 wrote: »

Not at the moment. As previous poster said, that'll be the way from November apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Robin132

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Not at the moment. As previous poster said, that'll be the way from November apparently.

Ok thanks, changes my packing ideas so!! I'll be going before November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

smurph6 wrote: »
    I've a similar question. I'm flying out Saturday at 6.30pm. Was planning on taking the aircoach up from Cork. Will delays be bad? I know on the aircoach site they said they'll be dropping passengers to Dublin airport first as opposed going through city. Just want to know what kinda time should I give myself

Not being smart but why don't you just ask Aircoach?

They will know more.

M1 and M50 will not be affected by closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thanks for all the advice - safely back home!

Pre-clearance was much easier than I'd anticipated - asked teenager 1 (who was 1st in line) how long we were staying - that was all - the other three of us not questioned at all.

re customs declaration and declaring food .... we never filled in / we were not asked to fill in anything nor queried re anything we were bringing with us.

2 coffee shops post-clearance - coffee/sandwich/muffin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Just wondering roughly how long did it take to get clearance done were ye waiting very long im going in 2 weeks flight is early morning hoping get breakfast before pre clearance and then move on pre clearnace. heard there isnt much after pre clearance so il eat before the pre clearance? would you need much time at the airport before hand il be there 2.30 hours before thanks

We went on a Saturday morning - arrived at airport 3 hours pre-flight; Got Fast Track Security Passes . Through Bag Drop, Irish security, US Security and Preclearance in 75 mins!
    Re eating beforehand - we managed on coffee and muffin etc - you get meal on flight anyway.

thanks for that, i might have to re consider my fly in the morning :) can i ask what is fast track security pass iv never heard of it before. thanks.

• Advertisement

DAA website: Fast Track

Fast Track minimises any waiting time and gets you through Security in less than 10 minutes. So if you're tight on time or simply want more time to shop, grab a bite to eat or relax before your flight, our Fast Track service allows you make the best use of your airport travel time. Book online and receive live flight updates to your mobile.

Available in Terminals 1&2.

Fast Track access is priced between €5.95 - €7.99 and is dependent on date and time of travel.

Vodafone were doing an offer to customers- I saw people offering codes online and I got my 4 passes through a nice unknown person online- search back thru boards.ie - think offer was good til end Sept.

cool thanks so much excuse my ignorance i just hadnt heard of it before thanks i will search back through it now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

"Fast Track minimises any waiting time and gets you through Security in less than 10 minutes."

I went through the Fast Track a few days ago using some Vodafone codes. The problem with the Fast Track is that after you put your suitcases etc on the carousel thingy you then merge with the non Fast Track people waiting to walk through the body scanner. When we were there, this queue was quite long. Two people were selected to be further scanned causing even longer delays.

In the meantime our cases had gone on ahead and were piling up at the far end complete with iPads, phones, eReaders etc just sitting there exposed. Lots of people milling about. Anything could go walkies.

This setup is definitely a weak link and needs to be dealt with.

anyone know if they are strict on the booked time with fasttrack anyone arrived late before think i booked a time slot too early cant change it now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭VG31

revoke12 wrote: »
    anyone know if they are strict on the booked time with fasttrack anyone arrived late before think i booked a time slot too early cant change it now

You don't have to go through at the stated time. They don't mind.

VG31 wrote: »
    You don't have to go through at the stated time. They don't mind.

great thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

revoke12 wrote: »
    I think they try to get a time off you so they can estimate the load on their fast-track system, in case a bunch of people booked for the same time. I've gone in earlier and later than booked time and it was never a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

Do people reckon that arriving at Dublin airport for a Ryanair flight 50 min before departure is possible to make?
    No baggage and security fast pass etc?

Only flight I can take is at 14:30 but I have other commitments in D2 that I can't possible get out of until 1pm so I'm thinking if I can get a lift/drive straight from Dublin 2 at 1pm to the airport, arrive and go through security using a fastpass at 13:40 and then dash down to the departure gates?
    Or is this too tight?
    Would it even be possible to make it to the airport by 13:40?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

40 mins from D2 to the airport is very tight in my opinion. The airlink bus from customs house quay area can be very quick, probably the fastest way to the airport. If you drive yourself you’ll waste time parking etc.
    Remember gate closing time is normally 30 mins before scheduled departure. While it’s not often the gate is actually closed 30 mins before departure it’s possible, and the airline are well in their right to close the gate and refuse you travel if you’re late (arrive after advertised gate closing time)
    If the flight is 14:30 that’s the time it should push back from the gate, so boarding could well start at 14:00/14:10 or even before depending on when the inbound aircraft arrives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

I’d do it no problem. Traffic should be ok at that time and if in taxi they can use bus lane out the swords road (or port tunnel for €3). You’ll be through security in 5 minutes with fast pass.

Your Ryanair plane will probably still be in the air when you’re at the gate.

• Advertisement

I'll probably have someone pick me up and drop me off at the airport so there won't be any issues with parking etc

My hope was that since its Ryanair that 14:30 is likely the time the inbound flight only arrives at so boarding probably won't happen until 14:45 or so

I don't mind having to actually physically run the length of T1 to get to the 300 gates if that'd mean I'd definitely make it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Go from D2 via East link then Port Tunnel in a taxi or lift from someone.. you will do it with time for a coffee in the departure lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

And it will be the 100-numbered gates.

pebbles21 wrote:
    Go from D2 via East link then Port Tunnel in a taxi or lift from someone.. you will do it with time for a coffee in the departure lounge

I'll be near wexford st , would getting across to the tunnel not cost more time?

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

I travel often enough on the Swords Express, takes approx 3 mins through the tunnel. If I was pushed for time I would definitely use the tunnel. If you're getting a taxi, it might be no harm to let the driver know that you're time critical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Would be well outside my comfort zone personally but you could certainly make it, particularly if you have no baggage and a fast pass through security. I get about 10 return flights a year, most with Ryanair and with only one exception, I've never seen the gate close half an hour before the flight take off time as is advertised on your boarding pass. The one exception was years ago in Stansted when I was running late for the flight and I got to the gate 30 minutes before take off time and they were boarding the last few people in the queue (still made it but since then I always play it safe and make sure I'm at the gate well within that time but I've never seen it happen since).

Once you're through security, you could leg it to the 100 gates in about 5 - 7 minutes if you're fast and at least a bit fit provided the airport isn't completely swamped. Couple of tips, print out your security fast track rather than using your phone, you'll save a bit of time getting it scanned rather than faffing about trying to get it to scan from your phone and same with your boarding pass. Also, download the Dublin Airport app and find your flight when you're in the taxi and the gate number, this will save you time scanning the departure boards in the airport also.

Provided you don't get stuck in traffic or anything getting to the airport you should be okay! Just make sure you have a lift waiting (pre-book taxi if you're getting one and mention to the driver that time is tight).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

On a good day you could be in the airport by 1,30. It's not ideal but you should be fine with time to spare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My Ryanair flight last Saturday was fully boarded 30 minutes before flight time.

OP I'd say get a taxi rather than a lift as bus lanes could make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Hi,

I have a flight with Etihad arriving into dublin airport at 8am next tuesday morning.
    I need to go to Edinburgh for work so my boss has booked me on a flight at 9.55am with Aer Lingus,
    These flights are not on the same ticket so i will have to pick up my bag at Terminal 1 and go to Terminal 2 to check in my Aer lingus flight,

Do you think i will have enough time to do this if the Etihad flight arrives on time?
    I know Aer lingus are a partner with Etihad, if i said it to them at checkin would they send my bag straight to Edinburgh without me having to collect it in dublin? even though its a separate booking?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Yes you will have to collect your bag.

Through check policy is at the airlines discretion, it doesn't hurt to ask but unlikely.

You cannot use flight connections, so you have to walk over to T2 to drop the bag and then proceed through security

If you had only hand luggage you could simply go through T1 security and find the Aer Lingus gate as its typically nearer to T1 than T2

1:55 should be sufficient as you arrive into the 300 gates where passport control and the walk to the baggage hall is short

Advertisement