Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

cobham wrote: »
    My daughter was going AL a few years ago and was to be away for year so we paid for second suitcase. We did not realise that this extra bag did not give her an additional weight allowance so there were tears at airport at 5 30 am and no credit card to pay up extra fees. Just an extra input....apologies if off topic
    For extra weight you always pay through the teeth, weight means fuel and this is costly, there's not cheap option in brining heavy cases

• Registered Users Posts: 10,096 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Sorry but I don't buy the fuel issue, extra baggage is just an excuse for airlines to rip you off.

smurfjed wrote: »
    Sorry but I don't buy the fuel issue, extra baggage is just an excuse for airlines to rip you off.
    They want you to carry as little as possible in weight as their calculations for fuel will be done based on passengers and luggage. The hefty fees are a disencentive to keep weight down in luggage and thus the calculation for fuel is more efficient, that's my understanding anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Flying Aer Lingus regional (Stobart) they board the aircraft by row.
    1st is rows 1-10 and then rows 11 and back.
    This is because of the aircraft type (ATR 42/72), needs to have more passenger weight at the front of the aircraft before the back gets too heavy with passengers, which could lift the nose wheel off the ground, making the aircraft unstable.

Oddly though they load passengers into busses from the terminal in this same manner, rows 1-10 first, despite all passengers mixing while on the bus. They then ask again when departing the bus to board the plane to board rows 1-10 first.

They board the bus by row number but not the plane. They just don't seem To care at all, it's incredible. This invariably results in most passengers being stuck outside in the rain while someone with a seat in row 23 struggles to find their seat and blocks everyone else as they load the overhead locker.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ballinloughan

HI,

I Have a fast track booked for Tuesday at 10AM. What is the window around 10AM that I can use the fast track?

Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭cmred

Hi, can a fast track be purchased on the day? Flying t1 at 7am on Saturday...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

cmred wrote: »
    Hi, can a fast track be purchased on the day? Flying t1 at 7am on Saturday...
    If there are still slots available you can

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

or if flying with Ryanair you can purchase from the app up to 90 minutes before your flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ZonarySonic

Hi all,

Not sure if this is the best place to post but thought I would give it a shot.

I am flying from terminal 2 on Saturday and there is a premier league match on that some of the traveling group want to watch. I was wondering does anyone know if there is a bar in terminal 2 that has sky sports. I normally fly from terminal 1 which does but I went flew from terminal 2 in years.

Any help is greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,294 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Moved from Dublin 15

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I can't answer your specific question but you can move between T1 and T2 airside no problem. In fact sometimes you can be flying from T2 and your gate is down at the the old Pier B (the rustic bar with the wooden barrels) in T1 meaning that after T2 security you have to walk all the way to T1 and I've never seen any reason why someone couldn't walk from T1 airside to T2.

coylemj wrote: »
    I can't answer your specific question but you can move between T1 and T2 airside no problem. In fact sometimes you can be flying from T2 and your gate is down at the the old Pier B in T1 meaning that after T2 security you have to walk all the way to T1 and I've never seen any reason why someone couldn't walk from T1 airside to T2.

Really, I wasn't aware of that..I thought once you go beyond security you wouldn't be able to move between the buildings. I was t aware theyneed internally connected after security. Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Yeah, you can walk from T2 to T1 airside. Bout 10m walk. The garden bar upstairs in T1 should be showing it. Has a smoking section too if u need it.

Yeah, you can walk from T2 to T1 airside. Bout 10m walk. The garden bar upstairs in T1 should be showing it. Has a smoking section too if u need it.

Excellent that should sort everyone so 😠that la for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi all,

I'm flying to Glasgow with Ryanair from T1 tomorrow morning, 7.15am departure. I'm arriving around 5am from Cork on the Aircoach, will that be enough time? I'll just have hand luggage.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Hi all,

I'm flying to Glasgow with Ryanair from T1 tomorrow morning, 7.15am departure. I'm arriving around 5am from Cork on the Aircoach, will that be enough time? I'll just have hand luggge.

Yes, you'll have about 1 hour to spare, boarding should start around 6:45am, and security should take no more than 20 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Yes, you'll have about 1 hour to spare, boarding should start around 6:45am, and security should take no more than 20 minutes.

Sound! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭sk8board

Just to follow up - I used the self service baggage check on the Aug bank hol morning at 5:30 am and it was a breeze.
    Lift bag, scan passport, stick on tag, bring bag 20 meters to belt, scan tag.
    Bye bye bag.

Took no more than 1.5 - 2 minutes. Will use it every time when on Aer Lingus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

This is our first time flying Business out of T1 (Always departed T2 previous to this).

On a recent economy flight out of T1 I didn't notice any Fast Track Q for security.

For Business, do you still go through the automated gates, or is there another entrance?

-Edit- Just to add, we'll already be checked-in online and hand luggage only.

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    This is our first time flying Business out of T1 (Always departed T2 previous to this).

On a recent economy flight out of T1 I didn't notice any Fast Track Q for security.

For Business, do you still go through the automated gates, or is there another entrance?

There is Fast Track in T1, come in the main door and look straight ahead, as opposed to regular security off to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

There is Fast Track in T1, come in the main door and look straight ahead, as opposed to regular security off to the left.

That makes a lot more sense, thank you :)

-Edit- While we're at it, once through fast track, any idea where I go for the lounge? (I know I can ask staff, but I like to know these things)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

testicles wrote: »

I'm in a similar situation as the op. Have not flown business from T1 since T2 opened.

Is that the same crappy DAA lounge up the stairs that was there 10 years ago.

Would it be better to use the DAA T2 lounge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

T2 lounge is much much nicer. T1 lounge has been done up but is still pretty basic. Good food and drink selection though

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Hi all,

Had a look through and couldn't find an answer in old threads. I'm flying Dublin to Kuala Lumper via Heathrow next month and my flight to Heathrow is at 9:30pm and the second flight is 10am the next day.

First flight is with BA and second with Malaysian Airlines. Will I need to re check in or will my baggage go through? Hoping to visit a friend that night in London and just arrive back the following morning, but would rather not have to bring the suitcase around or check in the following morning!

Thanks.

Is it all on one itinerary? If so then it's possible you may have your bags checked through. But ask at checkin at Dublin.
    If it's just two separate flight bookings then no you'll have to collect and re-check your bags

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Locker10a wrote: »
    Is it all on one itinerary? If so then it's possible you may have your bags checked through. But ask at checkin at Dublin.
    If it's just two separate flight bookings then no you'll have to collect and re-check your bags

Booked it through budget travel however I just looked and found the reservation number. All the one ticket so I can leave the bag! Thanks for the help :)

PhilipsR wrote: »
    Booked it through budget travel however I just looked and found the reservation number. All the one ticket so I can leave the bag! Thanks for the help :)

Are you sure that's not the budget travel reservation number?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

There is left luggage in Heathrow also if you didn't want to haul a full size suitcase onto the Tube etc.

Very pricey however

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/terminal-facilities-and-services/left-baggage

I paid around £5 around 5-6 years ago for several hours as I arrived in on a very early morning flight from Ireland and spent the day with my aunt and her family before going back to Heathrow for a late night flight to Thailand. I did it that way to avoid any problems as I was on two separate tickets and didn't want to miss my second flight.

Advertisement