Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airport Tips&Tricks (incl baggage-drop;connecting-flight & terminal-info)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭PhilipsR

Are you sure that's not the budget travel reservation number?

No I looked on the Malaysian Airlines website, not Budget Travel. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭mburke

I have an early flight and got an email to drop bags the night before. I plan to drop in a child seat and am wondering will they take the cabbin baggage as well considering I have to wait for the child seat eitherway.

Also with the pushchair do I need to check that in or can I go to the gate and check it in there?

Tried Ryanair online agent but it doesn't seem to be working today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

mburke wrote: »
    I have an early flight and got an email to drop bags the night before. I plan to drop in a child seat and am wondering will they take the cabbin baggage as well considering I have to wait for the child seat eitherway.

Also with the pushchair do I need to check that in or can I go to the gate and check it in there?

Tried Ryanair online agent but it doesn't seem to be working today.
    Ryanair no-longer take hand-luggage for free at the check in desk like Aer Lingus do.  They used to but now charge 5euro for it. You could always try your luck with the agent on the day. If they don't accept it the night before they will just take it at the gate with the push chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ryanair no-longer take hand-luggage for free at the check in desk like Aer Lingus do.  They used to but now charge 5euro for it. You could always try your luck with the agent on the day. If they don't accept it the night before they will just take it at the gate with the push chair.

When did this start?

I usually just get a tag at the check in desk and hand it in no prob, job done and mosey on the plane last with no fuss :pac:

The party is over if this is true :(

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭nailer54321

Something ofc topic, booked flights but forgof to put in my middle name, anyone know if tbis will be a problem? I know the names should match you passport, anyone any experience with this, will i need to change name or wi i be ok with this,

@Fred, can you remember if they scan your passport at the gate, i cant remember if they do or if they just scan your boarding pass

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I have a 9am flight to the us with united. I'm bringing a checked bag, is 5am too early to check in? It's the only time I'll be able to get a lift.

Also I have a layover in the us and will be doing preclearance in Dublin, will I have to collect my bag and check it in again or will it be checked through.

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Thanks Fred Swanson :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Nermal

Lau2976 wrote: »
    I have a 9am flight to the us with united.

In a similar boat, have a 9am to the US. What's the LATEST I should be arriving? Is two hours in advance enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Nermal wrote: »
    Lau2976 wrote: »
    I have a 9am flight to the us with united.

In a similar boat, have a 9am to the US. What's the LATEST I should be arriving? Is two hours in advance enough?
    No baggage and a fast pass for security and you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Will be flying home from Basel in November and am wondering if it's possible to buy some tax-free electronics like an iPad in the airport duty-free? The airport website mentions a few duty-free shops but none of them appear to sell electronics.

Any update from a recent traveller would be appreciated.

https://www.euroairport.com/en/passengers/shops-services/duty-free.html

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

How about arriving at Dublin airport at midday for a European flight that departs at 1:10pm? I already have fast pass booked with no checked baggage

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

USPC is the concern here!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Mr rebel wrote: »
    How about arriving at Dublin airport at midday for a European flight that departs at 1:10pm? I already have fast pass booked with no checked baggage

Personally I wouldn't do it, because if you run into any delays eg on the way in or going through security it could cause a bit of stress, however it can and has been done.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Personally I wouldn't do it, because if you run into any delays eg on the way in or going through security it could cause a bit of stress, however it can and has been done.

I would typically aim to arrive at the airport about 1 hour before flight departures, I have priority check in, and fast track security. I'll only do this as I live 10-15 minutes from the airport, and know enough alternative routes to get me there in the event of any delays etc...

When I've a ~2 hour drive to an airport, I'll always leave in order to arrive at the airport with about 2-2 1/2 hours to spare. I'll usually arrive 2/3 hours before hand, but I'd rather be sitting in the airport with plenty of time to spare than sitting in backed up traffic on a motorway!

I almost got caught in Nantes a good few years ago when the milk farmers were on strike and decided to close the main motorway heading towards the airport.
    (French people on strike! Who'd of thought it?!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

JCX BXC wrote: »

If you know you'll be there an hour before the flight,it's ok with the fast track security ,HBO and checked in and if you're parking in the short term car park
    I personally wouldn't like to leave it that tight either but have done

I got to the airport at 6.15 one morning for a 6.40 flight... Squeaky bum time.. But I made it!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I got to the airport at 6.15 one morning for a 6.40 flight... Squeaky bum time.. But I made it!

Oh wow, must have felt very satisfying to have made it on to the plane:)
    For some reason I had it in my head that the boarding pass becomes immediately invalid and won't open the gate thingy if you are 40 minutes or so before departure time....obviously just in my head then!

Yeah I usually don't leave it so late to arrive at the airport but unfortunately I don't really have a choice on Friday but to arrive at midday. Also flying with Aer Lingus so I think Terminal 2 is usually less "chaotic" than Terminal 1, although on the other hand Aer Lingus usually commence boarding really early compared to the likes of Ryanair....ahh I'll just have to risk it.

For some reason I had it in my head that the boarding pass becomes immediately invalid and won't open the gate thingy if you are 40 minutes or so before departure time....obviously just in my head then!

Yeah I usually don't leave it so late to arrive at the airport but unfortunately I don't really have a choice on Friday but to arrive at midday. Also flying with Aer Lingus so I think Terminal 2 is usually less "chaotic" than Terminal 1, although on the other hand Aer Lingus usually commence boarding really early compared to the likes of Ryanair....ahh I'll just have to risk it.

It was..I got to the airport at 5.45 and realised that i had left my wallet and phone at home (3 day work trip)....fastest taxi journey ever back to malahide and back to airport...I was actually at the gate before my colleagues who were there much earlier..as they were in the shops!

Just make sure you have fast pass and 1hr will be fine. For US I wouldnt risk less than 2hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 25,394 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The boarding pass is probably valid for the whole day, not sure if anyone here can answer that one but you could still arrive at the gate to find that they've finished boarding.

Time was before the print at home or smartphone app when you had to show up at a check-in desk to get your boarding card but if that had closed, you could try blagging your way past the person at the airline ticket desk. Depending on how strict they were at the time (it varied from month to month), they might ring the gate, establish that they hadn't completed boarding and let you through. With no significant baggage and if you looked reasonably fit, they would say to their colleague down at the gate: 'I have a runner here, can I let him through?'

One time Aer Lingus wanted to send out a message to the people on the early morning flights to Heathrow. I arrived late for the check-in desk so asked for a boarding pass at the ticket desk, having already established from a friend who was at the gate that they had not yet started boarding but they still wouldn't let me through. Next week the same flight was fully boarded with 10 minutes to spare - the message got through!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Never had to remove my shoes at Dublin airport but had to at Gatwick. Is this a new thing? Will wear slip-ons in the future.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Never had to remove my shoes at Dublin airport but had to at Gatwick. Is this a new thing? Will wear slip-ons in the future.
    Depends on the shoes! If you set off the alarm you generally have to remove them.
    Or maybe security on that particular day we are targeting shoes additional screening. They have different checks they sort of concentrate on more heavily from time to time. e.g the sensitivity of the metal detector you walk through can be ajusted on random days it can be set at high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

If you have any heeled shoes or with a large base on them (like wedges for women or hiking boots for all) then they will ask you to remove them - have done with me for years. If you're in runners or standard flat-ish shoes then should be fine.

Advertisement