Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Classico - Leinster v Munster 02/04/2016 - 1730 (TG4, SS3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    Yeah, you just can't ascertain from a still image, where there is more than one pass required, that a try was a certain outcome. There's simply too many components. But a waste opportunity.

Well other than a pass being dropped what components are we talking here?

The phrase a certain try usually gives the assumption that the defending team can't do anything to stop a try, and also assumes the attacking team keep clean possession. There's nothing a blue player can do to stop that being a try if the ball is passed, nothing.

I mean, bar an act of God, if that ball went through the hands it's try time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,372 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Two man overlap with Earls and Zebo? Try for me for sure.

Even a crappy prop pass to Saili and that's still a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Not as clear cut as Speedy Nacewa being cruelly denied by Slappy in the first half though, let's be honest. The ref was clearly feeling a bit sorry for Munster when he let them off with that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Not as clear cut as Speedy Nacewa being cruelly denied by Slappy in the first half though, let's be honest. The ref was clearly feeling a bit sorry for Munster when he let them off with that one.
    There's no room for sentiment in the game of rugby. But it still finds a way :(

Munster
    You can't rule out Earls randomly passing the ball into touch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Based on the day to that point, zebo would have found a way to mess it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

Munster
    awec wrote: »
    Two man overlap with Earls and Zebo? Try for me for sure.

Even a crappy prop pass to Saili and that's still a try.

Maybe, maybe not.

492247004-irelands-centre-keith-earls-fumbles-his-gettyimages.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=X7WJLa88Cweo9HktRLaNXtFkAa%2BuHiX3ZfwG1C67AS3WugKSjojxj3QjjUxZgRaBz4e47x4j%2Fa2ploIv6hGX%2BA%3D%3D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

The attendance and utter apathy of those there to what was offered up says a lot about where both provinces are to be honest. It'd have sold out 3 years ago (and did iirc).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Munster fans dont even cross the road to Thomond these days it seems, they are hardly going to turn out in Lansdowne to a team on a downer expecting to lose.
    I still thought it was a pretty decent crowd. Expected less. And still well worth having there instead of RDS so that 20000 extra people can be there.

Munster
    Munster fans dont even cross the road to Thomond these days it seems, they are hardly going to turn out in Lansdowne to a team on a downer expecting to lose.
    I still thought it was a pretty decent crowd. Expected less. And still well worth having there instead of RDS so that 20000 extra people can be there.

They should have Ireland internationals in the RDS tbh. Way better atmosphere every time without fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Just wathcing it again. Luke McGraths decision to bind at the back for a secure ruck with clean ball on 74 mins is a small but astonishing thing, ball around opposition 22 and he doesn't seem to want it. Leads to a turnover that xould have beem costly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

cson wrote: »
    The attendance and utter apathy of those there to what was offered up says a lot about where both provinces are to be honest. It'd have sold out 3 years ago (and did iirc).

Only 43,817 last year so it hasn't changed much (43,108 this year).

I'd imagine the time of year would make a difference in that a lot of people may just spent a lot of money on 6Ns tickets, not to mention World Cup etc.

jm08 wrote: »
    Only 43,817 last year so it hasn't changed much (43,108 this year).

I'd imagine the time of year would make a difference in that a lot of people may just spent a lot of money on 6Ns tickets, not to mention World Cup etc.

There was nowhere near that amount of people in the stadium. Low to mid thirties max.

There was a similar attendance at last year's game which Munster won, so I doubt very much that the reason the game wasn't a sell out is due to lack of Munster support. Most of the full houses in the Aviva were during Leinster's glory days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Munster
    Just wathcing it again. Luke McGraths decision to bind at the back for a secure ruck with clean ball on 74 mins is a small but astonishing thing, ball around opposition 22 and he doesn't seem to want it. Leads to a turnover that xould have beem costly.

I just skipped to that, just for you. What I think happens is McGrath binds on to give Healy space to pick and go. Healy knocks on. Correct decision from McGrath, poor execution by Healy.

There was nowhere near that amount of people in the stadium. Low to mid thirties max.

They are the official attendances. Must be Leinster season ticket holders not showing up then?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I presume official attendances are counted by the number of tickets that scan in rather than the number of tickets sold?

I presume official attendances are counted by the number of tickets that scan in rather than the number of tickets sold?

I think its number of tickets sold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Munster

There was easily 40k at it. The only part that looked sparse was the Premium level.

jm08 wrote: »
    I think its number of tickets sold.

They usually announce attendance toward the end of the match, which is why I'd assume it was tickets that scan in - once they're sure how many turn up.

I mean if they meant tickets sold, they'd say tickets sold. It's "attendance" after all, not "tickets sold".

I'm open to correction however, given I'm not involved in stadium management or Ticketmaster.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    I just skipped to that, just for you. What I think happens is McGrath binds on to give Healy space to pick and go. Healy knocks on. Correct decision from McGrath, poor execution by Healy.

Dont agree. He should have taken the ball himself, they weren't set up for forwards to oick and go. The scrum half should be directing. He could have told Healy to go for a pop pass. He takes himself out of the game, to no avail, by binding, crazy decision. He should be demanding the ball and or bossing the situation, instead he binds on.

They usually announce attendance toward the end of the match, which is why I'd assume it was tickets that scan in - once they're sure how many turn up.

I mean if they meant tickets sold, they'd say tickets sold. It's "attendance" after all, not "tickets sold".

I'm open to correction however, given I'm not involved in stadium management or Ticketmaster.
    It's attendance. It's always attendance because there are massive health and safety issues implicit in misreporting attendances. Official attendance is recorded for that purpose.

The official figure is 43,108.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 131 ✭✭leinstertalk

It's attendance. It's always attendance because there are massive health and safety issues implicit in misreporting attendances. Official attendance is recorded for that purpose.

The official figure is 43,108.

Bollix, plenty of times the official attendance is way off bums in seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I know the attendences they report for smaller home games can sometimes be off mainly due to season ticket holders not attending, but why would they be off by a lot for this?

I saw somebody mention it was more like low to mid 30s than 43k, do they think 8-10k Leinster season ticket holders(the majority of them) didn't attend??? Or loads of people bought tickets and just didn't show up? :confused:

I'm pretty sure in this case the figure is reasonably accurate.

Bazzo wrote: »
    I know the attendences they report for smaller home games can sometimes be off mainly due to season ticket holders not attending, but why would they be off by a lot for this?

I saw somebody mention it was more like low to mid 30s than 43k, do they think 8-10k Leinster season ticket holders(the majority of them) didn't attend??? Or loads of people bought tickets and just didn't show up? :confused:

I'm pretty sure in this case the figure is reasonably accurate.
    They don't count season ticket holders as attending games they don't attend. They have turnstiles and scanners that count people through. They actually need to know how many are in the stadium at any match. There have been Leinster matches this season where atendances have been below the number of season tickets issued. For example the home game against Zebre had 8,612 attending which is well below the number of season tickets sold (> 10,000).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Munster

And you know that how? Did you count the people :pac:

:D

Welcome back brokenhooker :pac:

Bazzo wrote: »
    Or loads of people bought tickets and just didn't show up? :confused:

I had two tickets and didn't attend, for example. One was my season ticket and one was one I got so I could head with my sister and a few mates. Then I was ill on the day so stayed home. Tried offloading both for free, but no joy that close to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,284 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Im fairly sure that the stated attendances aren't right however as people have said its been announced as low as 8000 odd in the RDS and there are the guts of 12000 STH but at the same time Ive seen them definitely been over stated. Id say at the weekend there was about 40,000 at the game.
    I just like everyone else don't know how they come to the official attendance but I'm fairly sure its neither tickets sold or bums on seats.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I had two tickets and didn't attend, for example. One was my season ticket and one was one I got so I could head with my sister and a few mates. Then I was ill on the day so stayed home. Tried offloading both for free, but no joy that close to the game.

Hope Schmidt didn't hear about that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement