Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Classico - Leinster v Munster 02/04/2016 - 1730 (TG4, SS3)

Options
  • 01-04-2016 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Leinster: Zane Kirchner, Isa Nacewa (cpt), Garry Ringrose, Ben Te'o, Dave Kearney, Johnny Sexton, Eoin Reddan, Jack McGrath, Sean Cronin, Tadhg Furlong, Devin Toner, Hayden Triggs, Rhys Ruddock, Jordi Murphy, Jamie Heaslip.
    Replacements: Richardt Strauss, Cian Healy, Mike Ross, Ross Molony, Josh van der Flier, Luke McGrath, Ian Madigan, Fergus McFadden.

Munster: Simon Zebo; Andrew Conway, Francis Saili, Rory Scannell, Keith Earls; Johnny Holland, Conor Murray; James Cronin, Niall Scannell, Stephen Archer; Donnacha Ryan, Billy Holland; Dave O’Callaghan, Tommy O’Donnell, CJ Stander – capt.

Replacements: Mike Sherry, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Robin Copeland, Jack O’Donoghue, Tomás O’Leary, Ian Keatley, Darren Sweetnam.

The Leinster thread has gone down in very grumpy flames so let's get the preview thread going. I miss the old days of nasty Leinster-Munster sniping so here's Felipe to mix it up a bit:

inpho_00165747-e1392948718960.jpg

Right, so 40,000 tickets sold, hopefully the actual attendance matches that figure and we get an atmosphere to savour.

Last season saw Munster's first league double over Leinster since 2008-9, but Leinster have bounced back again this year and were deserved 24-7 winners at Thomond in December, a game most memorable perhaps for launching the unstoppable juggernaut that is the Garry Ringrose hype express.

So will we see a repeat of that tomorrow? Well, the bookies think Leinster are fairly warm favourites, a 7-point handicap being set. So let's examine why?

Form
    : Neither side is tearing it up; Leinster followed up an error-strewn win over Ospreys with away defeats to Glasgow and Connacht, while Munster have disposed of Zebre and Dragons but contrived to give Cardiff a winning bonus point. However, Leinster will have found more to be happy about in their recent performances.

Personnel:
    After Ian Madigan's poor showing in the gales of Galway, Leinster fans will breathe a sigh of relief to see Jonny Sexton back in blue for the first time since January. Add Jack McGrath, Toner, Heaslip and Reddan to the mix and this is a much stronger starting XV.

Anthony Foley has finally lost patience with Ian Keatley and Johnny Holland gets, unbelievably, only his third ever professional start in by far the biggest game he's ever played. We can expect Conor Murray to take as much responsibility as he can, but it's still a risk. Elsewhere, injuries to Dave Foley and Mark Chisholm mean no dedicated lock cover on the bench, but Darren Sweetnam gets rewarded for his recent form and will hope to make his entrance on the big stage tomorrow.

Coaching

Hmmm. Well, Cullen has definitely improved things in the Leinster camp, while Foley has looked pretty clueless at times in his second season. But this sort of backs-to-the-wall scenario might be just what Foley needs to motivate his team. On paper, Leinster edge this one, but who knows?

KEY AREAS:

921678.jpg

The scrum is one area that Leinster will fancy this. Jack McGrath has established himself as the undisputed #1 loosehead in Ireland and he'll be looking at Stephen Archer with glee, given Archer's lack of gametime. But Tadhg Furlong struggled with the step up to international level in the Six Nations so maybe not as clear cut.

Leinster are going to lose some of their edge at the breakdown with the inclusion of Jordi Murphy ahead of Josh van der Flier (along with the benching of Strauss), and they'll hope that Murphy's greater carrying ability will cancel it out. The backrow is probably Munster's strongest unit so they'll hope to make gains here.

Dave Kearney vs Simon Zebo; that's the battle we'll all really be focussing on...

Depending on how tonight's games go, this could give Leinster the chance to take top spot in the league with only three games to go, and Munster could be desperately clinging on to a play off spot.

Overall, I can't see past a home win here. Maybe that's my blue-tinged optimism, but I was a lot more nervous last week (and rightly so) than I am this week.

Leinster to win, LBP for Munster, Champions Cup for all.

Ian Davies is the ref; he's decent enough.

And just to make sure you're still paying attention;

sextonogara.jpg

:pac:

Who will win? 31 votes

Leinster
    0%
    Munster
    100%
    dreginHippodubalBeansBeansnc6000Digifriendlyyosser hughesmatthew8LEINCatFromHueerrlloydjack01986vienne86jacotheladMav11kubAdamDLarbre34wp_ratheadsulberto 31 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Sexton is better than ROG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Sexton is better than ROG
    Because ROG coached Sexton? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I think this'll be a tighter match than the bookies are calling it. Leinster to shade it.

No table in the OP former total? No joke option in the poll? For shame. :pac:

Bazzo wrote: »
    I think this'll be a tighter match than the bookies are calling it. Leinster to shade it.

No table in the OP former total? No joke option in the poll? For shame. :pac:
    Yep. Especially galling since there was a full tutorial on tables in the Leinster thread. The sheer waste! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,336 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Bazzo wrote: »
    No joke option in the poll? For shame. :pac:

Oh, there's a joke option alright.

Just to continue the old fashioned sniping, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The Munster back three is more above international standard than the Leinster back three.

Also, I encourage emmet02 to post his Munster/Leinster thread odds like he did a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Thank God someone set this thread up, that Leinster thread was like slicing eyeballs.

Anyway, scrum is my main worry for us, if we hold our own in that I'm more optimistic, I think James Cronin could even McGrath's advantage out as you said.

DK is more like to come up against Conway than Zebo I'd have thought, either way I think we have the edge in the back 3 and 4-8. Halfbacks and centres are a much of muchness I'd have thought, maybe slight advantage Leinster there to be fair.

Will be watching Ringrose and Scannell closely for this, both with bright futures I hope. That and the backrow clash.

I do think the Thomond game was in the midst of the lowest point form-wise of our season, our defence around then was atrocious, people were calling for Zebo to be dropped shortly after in the Stade game, so I think/hope it'll be a different Munster. But we're like Jekyll and Hyde all season anyway.

Can't wait, best of luck to both teams!

Oh the benches... hmmm, Killer will cause mayhem, JOD will too a bit I'd have thought. John Ryan puts himself about in the loose but big challenge v Mike Ross. We're a bit greener though in that respect I guess. And TOL is likely to fup things up, I'd have Williams there to be honest. I'd hope we'd be ahead and Leinster have to chase the game.

If Leinster are ahead and Healy, McFadden, Strauss, Mike Ross are coming on I'll be worried, they know how to close out a game, serious experience there. JvdF will try and offset guys like Copeland/JOD, who knows what Madigan will bring... not even Madigan knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Munster
    leakyboots wrote: »
    DK is more like to come up against Conway than Zebo I'd have thought

On the pitch, yes.

In the swirling cauldron of death that is boards.ie, no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Munster
    If Sexton plays well, I think we'll win, but I'd love to see a good performance from Holland (of the Johnny variety).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,816 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Munster
    This is all irrelevant lads, the rain will be unmerciful tomorrow, it'll be full of errors and the auld soccer pitch will be ripped up in the set piece, so whomever manages the conditions better, stitches a few phases together, gets a few penos in good positions should win. Leinster by 14-9 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Munster
    Bought some tickets today, It's not the greatest game to go to, but I'll get polluted and have a great time, and then watch the game recorded on Sunday.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    This is all irrelevant lads, the rain will be unmerciful tomorrow, it'll be full of errors and the auld soccer pitch will be ripped up in the set piece, so whomever manages the conditions better, stitches a few phases together, gets a few penos in good positions should win. Leinster by 14-9 or so.

Yeah, have a feeling that's how it'll play out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

It's 100% down to our traditonal diet and lack of people playing sport past their 20's and 30's.

How is Darren sweetman getting along

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Is it time for me to mention red lemonade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

A good game with no injuries please...... And CJ Saviour to steamroller thru the Leinster powderpuff defence for a try or two!

Pink Fairy wrote: »
    A good game with no injuries please...... And CJ Saviour to steamroller thru the Leinster powderpuff defence for a try or two!
    Stop that! No more references to the ladyboys is permitted. Leinster forwards are real men now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I'm not overly confident. We were outthought and outfought in Thomond Park earlier this season. I believe we have regressed from last season in almost every way, for whatever reason.

On paper, Leinster do seem to have a bit more about them. You'd fancy them winning the scrum battle; the breakdown might be a bit closer with Leinster not having a real 7.

Our backs have never really got going this season, despite having clear talent. Zebo, Earls, Saili... they are three very good players. In a properly-coached backline, you'd expect them to damage and young Scannell has done very well this season tool.

But really, we've got a very inexperienced number 10, while Leinster have Johnny Sexton. That's the biggest swing and will probably give them the edge at home; as well as a pack with a bit more nous (although I am glad that Billy Holland starts, we always seem tougher & more organised when he's on the field).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Munster
    Not overly concerned with Jordi at 7 tbh. Granted he's not your archetypical 7 but he's not bad over the ball and he'll make his hits as well as bringing a little bit extra in terms of carrying - don't feel it'll be the winning or losing of the game anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

On paper, both teams are pretty evenly matched. I would give Munster the nod in a battle of the units, however. Leinster are stronger in the frontrow and at half back, while Munster have the stronger secondrow, backrow (slightly), and back 3. The center partnerships are pretty evenly matched.

That said, Munster have been very poor/terrible this season and Leinster are at home. Leinster should edge it by a score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭moby2101

errlloyd wrote: »
    Bought some tickets today, It's not the greatest game to go to, but I'll get polluted and have a great time, and then watch the game recorded on Sunday.

Ha had to laugh, ill be in the same boat myself... A looooong day and night ahead! Enjoy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

On paper, both teams are pretty evenly matched. I would give Munster the nod in a battle of the units, however. Leinster are stronger in the frontrow and at half back, while Munster have the stronger secondrow, backrow (slightly), and back 3. The center partnerships are pretty evenly matched.

That said, Munster have been very poor/terrible this season and Leinster are at home. Leinster should edge it by a score.

Anyone else feel that there is no home advantage for Leinster at the Aviva?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster
    LorMal wrote: »
    [/B]

Anyone else feel that there is no home advantage for Leinster at the Aviva?

Not a lot, though I would expect more supporters for Leinster than Munster.

Morning looks OK so far, but forecast is foul. It'll be a messy affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

Heading up today but with the Luas out of action I was planning on parking at Pembroke Wanders - how early would I want to be there to guarantee a parking space?

If the rain dosent stop I can see this as being a messy affair. But Leinster have some strong options on the bench to call on if things are tight. It could some down to the kicking so hopefully Johnny bringa his A Game

• Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

Free on street parking on Saturdays around Herbert Park and Clyde Road areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Munster
    Very wet in Dublin at the minute. Due to dry a bit but rain again at 5pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I should say that I have almost zero interest in rugby but I like voting in polls :)

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Munster
    I should say that I have almost zero interest in rugby but I like voting in polls :)

Well you voted wrong :p

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 511 ✭✭✭RichieRich89

Think I wouldda gone with a backline of 15 Kirchner, 14 Kearney, 13 Ringrose, 12 McFadden, 11 Kelleher, with Nacewa benching. Then at least there's some pace on the wing and the 12 is more likely to supply the possession-starved Ringrose with ball.

I can only imagine that the selection of Murphy over JvdF is done with the intention of having the best players on the pitch in the last half hour so the chances of finishing well are increased. If that is the thinking then I think it might have been better to start Dom Ryan at 6, and have Rhys Rudduck as the first choice loosie providing impact off the bench.

With Leinster's lack of cutting edge and poor maul defence I reckon Munster have a good chance in this game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement