Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Classico - Leinster v Munster 02/04/2016 - 1730 (TG4, SS3)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

awec wrote: »
    Never mind Keatley, the band was the worst thing about this match by a mile. Who thought that was a good idea? The atmosphere was absolutely rubbish and you have a band trying to turn it into some sort of carnival. Star wars music etc when Munster did something, cringe!

It was IBF to go with his match Commentary :pac::D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Never mind Keatley, the band was the worst thing about this match by a mile. Who thought that was a good idea? The atmosphere was absolutely rubbish and you have a band trying to turn it into some sort of carnival. Star wars music etc when Munster did something, cringe!

I think they hire some sort of events company who come up with this ****e, clearly not much understanding that nobody wants this at a rugby match. It's a complete waste of time and money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Keatley had the following bad moments in the game
    - missed penalty
    - poor kick to touch from a penalty
    - turned over in the Leinster 22

without really doing anything well to offset it.
    None of the above are that bad by themselves but when that's your whole contribution to a game, Munster fans won't be happy.

I'm not wild about Keatley but why on earth are people having a go at him for getting turned over? Is he supposed to clear the ruck out himself having been tackled?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I think they hire some sort of events company who come up with this ****e, clearly not much understanding that nobody wants this at a rugby match. It's a complete waste of time and money.

Shouldn't be hiring anyone. Whoever is running it doesn't understand their customer.

I'd rather be packed into the RDS and be sitting out in the rain watching exciting, running rugby than sitting in plush comfort in Lansdowne with a fecking brass band watching the dour rubbish served up last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Shouldn't be hiring anyone. Whoever is running it doesn't understand their customer.

I'd rather be packed into the RDS and be sitting out in the rain watching exciting, running rugby than sitting in plush comfort in Lansdowne with a fecking brass band watching the dour rubbish served up last night.

Ah, missing the good old days of the Naked Cowboy in the RDS, are you?

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/334838/

or the Bluebells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxKDLV2BOM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What. The. F*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster

What bugs me most about the Aviva is the proximity of the bars which results in people climging in and out over you all match to buy pints, returning with pints, distributing pints to frineds, going for a pee, returning from a pee.....and this happens no matter what is going on on the pitch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Munster
    jm08 wrote: »
    Ah, missing the good old days of the Naked Cowboy in the RDS, are you?

http://www.sportsfile.com/id/334838/

or the Bluebells

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLxKDLV2BOM

They used to let some bands on to play at halftime so that's why the Cowboy was there. Don't think the Bluebells ever played at a game, maybe they did for one not sure.

vienne86 wrote: »
    What bugs me most about the Aviva is the proximity of the bars which results in people climging in and out over you all match to buy pints, returning with pints, distributing pints to frineds, going for a pee, returning from a pee.....and this happens no matter what is going on on the pitch.

I wish they'd close the bars during the match. Though of course they'd make less money.

• Advertisement

Closing the bars would make no difference, it's the toilet trips that are the problem. People would just stock up before the game and at half time with pints instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Munster

The highlights are up and as usual they're ****e.

They don't mention Healy's yellow at all or show what Copeland got his yellow for either :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Pink Fairy

CatFromHue wrote: »

The highlights are up and as usual they're ****e.

They don't mention Healy's yellow at all or show what Copeland got his yellow for either :confused:

Comrade IBF has whitewashed all mention of inglorious lies from the propaganda film of Leinster's crushing of the peasant classes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Yea, but he couldn't get the ball cause Heaslip was on the wrong side. Should have been a penalty IMO.
    Was that not a maul that had collapsed?

Was that not a maul that had collapsed?

I think so, but the ball was playable after the collapse until Heaslip fell onto the wrong side.

I could be totally wrong, but I would have thought either a scrum to Leinster or a penalty to Munster. I don't see how you can give a scrum to Munster, unless he thinks Heaslip accidentally blocked the 9 from playing it though I'd argue that it doesn't matter if it was accidental or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Munster
    I agree with awec, I thought it should have been a turnover scrum or a penalty. Ref didn't seem like he wanted to make that decision though. He had a tough game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The ball can become unplayable at a ruck without a penalty needing to be awarded. I haven't seen it again but it's perfectly feasible that Heaslip got trapped and the ref decided to award a scrum to the team in possession.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The ball can become unplayable at a ruck without a penalty needing to be awarded. I haven't seen it again but it's perfectly feasible that Heaslip got trapped and the ref decided to award a scrum to the team in possession.

Is that possible ? I thought it had to be either Lei scrum or Mun penalty ? :confused:

Players get trapped all the time on the wrong side and it pretty much always gets given as a penalty. We've all seen where players can't roll away because they are pinned in position by the attacking team's clearing out players.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Not a frequent occurrence but certainly not unusual to see a referee call a scrum at the breakdown due to the ball being unplayable owing to players being trapped on the ground. Probably see it happen once every few games. The more experienced referees tend to utilise it more as an option.

It's a common sense approach and probably should be awarded more often given there's probably at least one penalty a game where the player simply cannot get away after being pinned in place by the attacking side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Players get trapped all the time on the wrong side and it pretty much always gets given as a penalty. We've all seen where players can't roll away because they are pinned in position by the attacking team's clearing out players.
    You don't have to roll away from a collapsed maul. You can stay put until the ref declares it over. At which point he decides who gets possession from the restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I was at the back of the lower south and I neither heard nor saw a band playing anything or heard piped music, where were they? That gimmicky nonsense is a pain, much prefer the RDS but selling an extra 20000 tickets twice a year is probably fair enough move. We generally don't do anything forced by the stadium announcer or gimmicks well in this country so should just steer clear of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

You don't have to roll away from a collapsed maul. You can stay put until the ref declares it over. At which point he decides who gets possession from the restart.

Not really no, if it's a maul then it's the team who take it in who will lose out every time unless it's directly from a kick reception. But this was after the maul had broken up and the subsequent ball carrier was tackled.

It's perfectly OK for the referee to declare the ball unplayable at the breakdown and give the put-in to the team going forward. Happens more commonly at lower levels than at pro level.

I know you don't, but when the ref calls the ball is available this is usually when they expect players to move away and let the 9 play it.

I don't see a viable scenario that ends up in a Munster scrum. Either Leinster succesfully held the ball in the maul (in which case it was a Leinster scrum) or Leinster prevented Munster getting the ball away after he called the maul over and ball available (in which case it had to be a penalty to Munster).

I'm not complaining or anything, it's a relatively minor thing but I thought the ref bottled the decision.

salmocab wrote: »
    I was at the back of the lower south and I neither heard nor saw a band playing anything or heard piped music, where were they? That gimmicky nonsense is a pain, much prefer the RDS but selling an extra 20000 tickets twice a year is probably fair enough move. We generally don't do anything forced by the stadium announcer or gimmicks well in this country so should just steer clear of them.

The band were at the back of the lower south, in the corner with the west stand.

They had microphones etc, so I am pretty sure the piped in music was actually them singing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The band were at the back of the lower south, in the corner with the west stand.

They had microphones etc, so I am pretty sure the piped in music was actually them singing.

FFS I was dead centre and didn't see nor hear them. Although that was probably for the best but what a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

salmocab wrote: »
    FFS I was dead centre and didn't see nor hear them. Although that was probably for the best but what a waste of money.

They were under the TV studio box in about section 120. Also shown repeatedly on the big screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Munster

They were just behind us in block 117. They were live all right. Promise!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The evil Star Wars theme for Munster was kinda funny the first time. Then they did it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭phog

Haven't got around to reading the thread since kick off. My thoughts are we could and should have won the game, both teams played poor enough rugby but I think we blew a few opportunities that should have had us ahead.

I thought Archer had a good game in the scrum, Murray was close to MotM, Holland was great though he had two poor restarts. We missed Ryan particularly in the lineout.

Before the game I thought a LBP would be a good achievement but now, 24hrs after the game I still think we threw that game away.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement