Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

El Classico - Leinster v Munster 02/04/2016 - 1730 (TG4, SS3)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Even going through the hands there would have been a walk in try. Was it Earls and Zebo on the left wing and John Ryan trucked it into contact, 5m from the line? They didn't even need to do anything as awkward as a kick across the pitch.

It was a simple stroll over if he had just moved it. McFadden was the only man facing 3 guys outside him and had already turned his body inwards so was pretty much gone from the equation if the pass had gone.

Absolutely out of jail on this one.

JRyan_zpsvzxi6mui.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    Even going through the hands there would have been a walk in try. Was it Earls and Zebo on the left wing and John Ryan trucked it into contact, 5m from the line? They didn't even need to do anything as awkward as a kick across the pitch.

It was a simple stroll over if he had just moved it. McFadden was the only man facing 3 guys outside him and had already turned his body inwards so was pretty much gone from the equation if the pass had gone.

JRyan_zpsvzxi6mui.jpg

That picture makes me feel ill. I believe there was an advantage too so you could risk throwing the pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Munster
    ^^^
    Wow that is pretty shocking alright how they didn't score

That picture makes me feel ill.

Mission accomplished.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I hate when props just take the ball in to contact without evaluating their options like that. Any rugby player should be able to get a pass away for a score there. Madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Interesting that munster fans seem to be focusing on the ref and not the low level of rugby their team played.

I think both teams were poor to be honest, while it was an exciting game the standard wasn't that good.

Poor officiating is something which has blighted the Pro12 as a league unfortunately.

I don't think Munsterfans are blaming the ref for us losing, we were well able to do that ourselves without his help :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Munster

JRyan_zpsvzxi6mui.jpg

Christ I'd forgotten about that incident. Should have been curtains alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Munster
    I'd also forgotten about that. Reminds me of Sean O'Brien butchering a clear try by not passing out wide a while back... When was that...can't bloody remember.

Seriously lucky there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Prop tries are worth double so he made the right choice

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Munster
    I couldn't believe our luck at the time, certainly gets better every time that pic is quoted :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,939 ✭✭✭leakyboots

sheep? wrote: »
    I'd also forgotten about that. Reminds me of Sean O'Brien butchering a clear try by not passing out wide a while back... When was that...can't bloody remember.

Seriously lucky there.

Or Paddy Wallace in the World Cup... Keith Earls out there both times!

sheep? wrote: »

Bath, 2011.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Munster
    On the other hand, Cronin should have cut Holland in half for the Munster try, so in the grand scheme of shoulda woulda coulda, it all balances out.

On the other hand, Cronin should have cut Holland in half for the Munster try, so in the grand scheme of shoulda woulda coulda, it all balances out.
    And Slappy should have been at least penalised for his mischievous antics at the end of the first half.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Journeyman_1

Munster
    Just watched some key moments on TG4 player. In the leadup to slapgate 2016, Munster were so cynical at the breakdown, repeatedly slowing the ball down while off their feet but whatever. Here are some stills of the Slapcident.

Zebo_slap1.png

Zebo_slap2.png

Clearly Zebo makes no attempt to gather the ball and justs bats it into touch. Isa is right there with Earls a step or 2 behind. In real time I thought this could have been a PT and I really think that was a possibility if it had been checked. It may not have been, but certainly a penalty and a YC can't be argued against imo.

Next for the quick tap.

Killer_tap.png

We can't see Teo here, but everyone else is onside, except Mike Ross who inspects the action from where he is, and ref instantly says Teo was fine so it's hard to argue that. There is no visible 5m line on that part of the pitch, but it can be tracked and the tap was taken from at least 1m inside it. Only other thing is a clumsy second tackle from Teo that knocks the ball loose. He attempts to go low to stop the carrier and ends up slipping off before any wrapping motion occurs. This would be harsh though, these tackle happen all the time.

Teo_Tackle.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,802 ✭✭✭✭phog

JRyan_zpsvzxi6mui.jpg

Looking and this and then reading the negative stuff about Keatley as if he had cost us the game. There's the win gone there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,603 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Munster
    phog wrote: »
    Looking and this and then reading the negative stuff about Keatley as if he had cost us the game. There's the win gone there.

And if you think about the slap into touch, if that had been it a try it would be because Holland put the drop off out on the full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

JRyan_zpsvzxi6mui.jpg

Seems like a pretty misleading pic. Look at the body positions of the Leinster players. They are all turned in on Ryan which means he had already started to truck it up at that stage. If you wind that back to when he first gets hands on the ball I would imagine it was a pretty standard situation with those Leinster players flooding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

phog wrote: »

Well, the outhalf would be the one player you'd expect to throw a long pass out wide in this scenario. Did Keatley even get the ball on that phase? He should have been screaming for the ball. I thought by then his confidence was probably shot and he was just trying to avoid been put in the spotlight.

Hagz wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty misleading pic. Look at the body positions of the Leinster players. They are all turned in on Ryan which means he had already started to truck it up at that stage. If you wind that back to when he first gets hands on the ball I would imagine it was a pretty standard situation with those Leinster players flooding out.

The below is from the instant his hands touch the ball. Pretty much the same situation. McFadden is already slightly turned in. He passes, they score. Toner isn't going to impact on the situation. All he needed to do was pop it to Saili or even try the longer pass.

JRyan1_zps7w81uffs.jpg

• Advertisement

Definitley not a certain try but a wasted opportunity no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think that's a certain try given it's Zebo and Earls there. Zebo fixes McFadden and Earls finishes that 99% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I think that's a certain try given it's Zebo and Earls there. Zebo fixes McFadden and Earls finishes that 99% of the time.

Or they both could have shepherded the ball into touch assuming the other was going to do something

The only thing that could possibly have stopped Zebo/Earls there would have been a prop-esque pass.

I think barring a dropped pass, it's a definite try.

Luke McGrath is the only player who could possibly impact on the situation and he started running towards the ball rather than across the field as soon as the pass was directed to Ryan. Indeed he's the one that actually puts Ryan down.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

The below is from the instant his hands touch the ball. Pretty much the same situation. McFadden is already slightly turned in. He passes, they score. Toner isn't going to impact on the situation. All he needed to do was pop it to Saili or even try the longer pass.

JRyan1_zps7w81uffs.jpg
    Yeah, McFadden is the only plausible defender there and once he's fixed, there are at least two players with a clear run in. Numbers always count if they're all used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

The only thing that could possibly have stopped Zebo/Earls there would have been a prop-esque pass.

image.jpeg

He could have channelled his inner Joe Moody.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Hagz wrote: »
    Definitley not a certain try but a wasted opportunity no doubt.

It's a definite try bar a knock on, no Leinster play would cover that if it had gone through the hands.

I remember seeing it at the time and thought we didn't communicate well in defence there, and was certain a try would be scored.

Thankfully forwards never change.

Yeah, you just can't ascertain from a still image, where there is more than one pass required, that a try was a certain outcome. There's simply too many components. But a wasted opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Munster
    You'd have to put your money on a try if that goes through the hands. Especially since Earls is such a good finisher. But yes. Nothing is certain.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement