Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Ah I'm sorry but that's a gross overstatement.

Our squad is pretty excellent. Think of the players we were missing today. Just the back row, for example, we were missing Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Jack Conan and Jordi Murphy. All capped internationals, and 2 Lions test players. Add even one of those to our starting team and suddenly we've got one of the best back rows in Europe again.

We have a problem in our depth at 10, and that will not be resolved soon. We look to have a solution at 9 and another one soon arriving. Our midfield has gone from a huge strength to a huge weakness back to a huge strength.

Next season the only part of the side I'm really worried about is our depth at 10 in the absence of Sexton (hugely important as it is). Outside of that position I think we've got the best depth in the league.

Yeah 10 is a real worry to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

that game tonight was where the leinster lions were meant to show their superior international class.

Who were the Leinster Lions? Jamie Heaslip came off the bench with like 20 mins to go. Luke Fitzgerald got injured early on.

The only Lion who was on the pitch for a significant amount of time was Cian Healy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Ah I'm sorry but that's a gross overstatement.

Our squad is pretty excellent. Think of the players we were missing today. Just the back row, for example, we were missing Jamie Heaslip, Sean O'Brien, Jack Conan and Jordi Murphy. All capped internationals, and 2 Lions test players. Add even one of those to our starting team and suddenly we've got one of the best back rows in Europe again.

We have a problem in our depth at 10, and that will not be resolved soon. We look to have a solution at 9 and another one soon arriving. Our midfield has gone from a huge strength to a huge weakness back to a huge strength.

Next season the only part of the side I'm really worried about is our depth at 10 in the absence of Sexton (hugely important as it is). Outside of that position I think we've got the best depth in the league.

If Leinster's ambition is just the league that's fair enough as the squad undoubtedly has depth in a lot of areas and should always be competing to win the league but the I think the barometer is set higher in Leinster.

Looking at them as a squad looking to challenge in Europe. Being brutal and it's sad to see but Cian Healy looks like he's hit the wall. I think he should be let re-charge his batteries in the summer and see can he recover to some extent for next season. Mike Ross has been a great servant and is defying his critics to some extent but he's only a bit part solution. Front row options are fine at Pro 12 level but Furlong still has it all to prove in my eyes as the long term alternative at tight head.

2nd row options just aren't really convincing at the top level in my view. Leinster need a big signing here. Nagle might do a job at Pro 12 level but that's about it.

Back row is strong but will O'Brien remain available for any extended period?

At 9 and 10, I don't know enough to comment on Jamison Gibson-Park who looks to be signing but McGrath has yet to fully convince me. Spent most of this evening moaning to the ref looking for penalties rather than playing the game at the tempo needed. Depth at 10 as you say is questionable.

Centre partnership is potentially exciting but again with Luke Fitzgerald having setback after setback, the back 3 options have pretty much zero gas and won't fill any top team with fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 996 ✭✭✭1eg0a3xv7b82of

Hagz wrote: »
    Who were the Leinster Lions? Jamie Heaslip came off the bench with like 20 mins to go. Luke Fitzgerald got injured early on.

The only Lion who was on the pitch for a significant amount of time was Cian Healy.

their all lions, thats their full name the Leinster Lions.
    The way they have played the breakdown for years they should have called themselves the cheetahs. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

The way they have played the breakdown for years they should have called themselves the cheetahs. :pac:

eh Leinster RUGBY, not Leinster Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

So McFadden, so ringrose, so te'o, so Fitzgerald, so McGrath, so nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster haven't been called the Lions for over a decade

neelia11 wrote: »
    eh Leinster RUGBY, not Leinster Lions.

enter leinster lions in to google and be ready to be shocked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

I don't get this. Is it because they can run really really fast?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

vienne86 wrote: »
    I wish Luke McGrath would stop these box kicks.

He is trying to catch Joe's eye and show that he can play his type of game. Serious battle on here for the position of benching Irish scrummie of the next few years.

• Advertisement

enter leinster lions in to google and be ready to be shocked.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

If Leinster's ambition is just the league that's fair enough as the squad undoubtedly has depth in a lot of areas and should always be competing to win the league but the I think the barometer is set higher in Leinster.

Looking at them as a squad looking to challenge in Europe. Being brutal and it's sad to see but Cian Healy looks like he's hit the wall. I think he should be let re-charge his batteries in the summer and see can he recover to some extent for next season. Mike Ross has been a great servant and is defying his critics to some extent but he's only a bit part solution. Front row options are fine at Pro 12 level but Furlong still has it all to prove in my eyes as the long term alternative at tight head.

2nd row options just aren't really convincing at the top level in my view. Leinster need a big signing here. Nagle might do a job at Pro 12 level but that's about it.

Back row is strong but will O'Brien remain available for any extended period?

At 9 and 10, I don't know enough to comment on Jamison Gibson-Park who looks to be signing but McGrath has yet to fully convince me. Spent most of this evening moaning to the ref looking for penalties rather than playing the game at the tempo needed. Depth at 10 as you say is questionable.

Centre partnership is potentially exciting but again with Luke Fitzgerald having setback after setback, the back 3 options have pretty much zero gas and won't fill any top team with fear.

I'm happy with them starting by winning the league.

I think our squad is more than good enough to win our pool in Europe. Maybe not there in terms of beating very elite European teams consistently but we have plenty of weapons and a good age profile in the squad that will allow us time to attempt to fill in those gaps.

sheep? wrote: »
    I don't get this. Is it because they can run really really fast?

No because cheetahs are on the endangered list. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

What a win! Brilliant!

Connacht played all the rugby and fully deserved it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Honestly, how you're allowed get away with this is beyond me.

What you've posted is complete gibberish. You consistently post gibberish.

Several times you've quoted me and responded with something that a) Isn't related to what I've posted and b) Isn't comprehensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Jeez man you are making me cringe
    I love you flouncer but jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

That homegrown back row were magnificent today for us.

SOB made some massive hits and some of his foot work pre contact with ball in hand in order to make a couple of extra metres was excellent.

McKeon was everywhere. Some engine. Hopefully he can stay fit for a sustained period.

Muldoon was the glue, he must have hit 100 rucks and again his ball skills were on show. Must have passed from the 9 position 5 or 6 times when Marmion was scragged and looked so comfortable. Bar Stander, imo he's been the best performing Irish back row in all the provinces this year.

Connolly came on and just threw himself about with complete disregard. When you think we were missing Heenan, Masterson and Fox-Matamua, we're in rude health here. I think our young lads are as good as anything that's out there, eg Van Der Flier, Jack O Donoghue, they just don't get the same recognition given the location of the national media

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Jeez man you are making me cringe
    I love you flouncer but jaysus
    There ya go. Am a total disaster. But today most enjoyed

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Gonna trade my leinster season ticket in for a connacht one cause I'm a glory hunter.

Leinster are yesterday's news. All hail the west and the men in green.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The AJ one was high and very dangerous.

I genuinely didn't think it was high. I was more interested in whether it was a proper tackle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

Muldoon was the glue, he must have hit 100 rucks and again his ball skills were on show. Must have passed from the 9 position 5 or 6 times when Marmion was scragged and looked so comfortable. Bar Stander, imo he's been the best performing Irish back row in all the provinces this year.

He pulled one ball out from the back of a scrum and fired it out wide in front of me at one stage that was just :eek: for a back row.

Just thinking - when you consider what Leinster pulled off the bench in the second half, it was a phenomenal defensive performance to hold out. The replacements Leinster brought on had 361 international caps between them. Did the Connacht replacements even have 1 between them?

cson wrote: »
    Did the Connacht replacements even have 1 between them?

Henshaw?
    Bealham?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

Gracious in victory, generous in defeat. Always classy :rolleyes:

It was a most enjoyable game with the result in the balance until the end. A proper game of rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Henshaw?
    Bealham?

Ronan Loughney with 1 cap also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,417 ✭✭✭✭cson

22 caps, my bad.

22 vs 361 still proves my point though I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Honestly, how you're allowed get away with this is beyond me.

What you've posted is complete gibberish. You consistently post gibberish.

Several times you've quoted me and responded with something that a) Isn't related to what I've posted and b) Isn't comprehensible.

We had to deal with it in the Connacht thread for a few years. Everyones posts to interpret now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Delighted for Connacht, and the scenes after the game were special. Great to see. I was thinking before the game how great it would have been if the IRFU had funded T'eo to go the other way on a central deal in exchange for Henshaw, and you'd him and Bundee in midfield. But after today I realise the two of them would probably end up killing each other :pac:

Gracious in victory, generous in defeat. Always classy :rolleyes:

It was a most enjoyable game with the result in the balance until the end. A proper game of rugby.

There is me but then there is connacht. By nature connacht folks are generous in defeat and most happy in victory. So while i may be a twit thats me. Most others are rational and post reasonable stuff. If I wasnt gracious then that was me. Need to take a social media course. I just add a different twist. God, I am feeling so mental now you couldn't even go there. Connacht, win top of the league game, what is going on. Even with heenan gone, no stress.

Lets just hope when we win the challenge cup and the pro12 that joe may have read the tony ward article in the independent today and finally worked a reasonable viewpoint. This mangling push forward, mangling, push forward stuff has to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

it says absolutely nothing really. Healy kept losing the ball in contact for example. In two games between these sides this season connacht have one score in 160 minutes of rugby against the "international team". For all the talk about connacht's way of playing that little fact speaks volumes. You can argue with opinion about the merits of any player but thats just opinion.

How on earth does that speak volumes about Connacht's attack? What speaks volumes about the way Connacht play today is the ability of backs and forwards with ball in hand.

160 minutes against Leinster doesn't sum Connachts attack. But 50 trys makes it look pretty good from the top of the table.

• Advertisement

its_phil wrote: »
    How on earth does that speak volumes about Connacht's attack? What speaks volumes about the way Connacht play today is the ability of backs and forwards with ball in hand.

160 minutes against Leinster doesn't sum Connachts attack. But 50 trys makes it look pretty good from the top of the table.
    absolutely right its_phil. in the middle of a really feel good place at the moment :-)

Advertisement