Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options
  • 21-03-2016 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭

Top of the table clash
    You can decide to vote later as we don't know how many international players on each side:) will be involved

WWW Connacht vs Leinster 76 votes

Connacht
    0% 0 votes
    Leinster
    59% 45 votes
    Robbie Henshaw
    40% 31 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Vote with heart and not head and gone with Leinster :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

While it would have understandably been difficult to foresee this clash for what it has ended up being, it's a damn shame that the top of the table match up won't have full squads. Obviously this impacts Leinster moreso - Connacht have to fancy their chances. Don't win here and their chance of topping the table is gone you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »
    While it would have understandably been difficult to foresee this clash for what it has ended up being, it's a damn shame that the top of the table match up won't have full squads. Obviously this impacts Leinster moreso - Connacht have to fancy their chances. Don't win here and their chance of topping the table is gone you would think.

Well the IRFU could just release all the players.

What will the Grand Slam winning English players be up to this weekend?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

bilston wrote: »
    Well the IRFU could just release all the players.

What will the Grand Slam winning English players be up to this weekend?

Well they could, but they obviously won't.

They'll be playing for their clubs because the RFU doesn't have a choice in the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think we'll see more players released than usual. All the provinces bar Connacht will have the European weekends to rest players. The stakes are also much bigger than in previous years. The winner of this more or less guarantees a home-semi final.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

interesting comment about henshaw possibly playing....

http://www.pro12rugby.com/news/19355.php#ft7dxs3yTFG4c5h8.97

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Well they could, but they obviously won't.

They'll be playing for their clubs because the RFU doesn't have a choice in the matter.

I know, but with no Europe (except for Connacht), why not get all these guys playing. Take it in a case by case basis by all means, but I don't think there should be a black and white rule ruling all those who started against Scotland out of this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

I wonder if the margin for bargainning could be about "when" the rest week occurs rather than "if". That would explain Henshaw may play this W-E and be rested against Ulster, whereas Toner and Heaslip for example are kept fresh for Munster.

Some news about Parata? Aki pairing with him would still be quality association...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'd be surprised to see Henshaw in the mix.

Strauss, Cronin, Cian Healy, Ruddock, Reddan, Marmion though I'd expect to be somewhere in the Leinster squad, maybe even Rob Kearney too!

It's a big game for Marmion, Healy, and TOH too as all eyes will be on them for this one to see where they really are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭b.gud

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'd be surprised to see Henshaw in the mix.

Strauss, Cronin, Cian Healy, Ruddock, Reddan, Marmion though I'd expect to be somewhere in the Leinster squad, maybe even Rob Kearney too!

It's a big game for Marmion, Healy, and TOH too as all eyes will be on them for this one to see where they really are at.

Typical Leinster fan trying to take Connacht players :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Is it set in stone that the internationals can't play or is it a moveable feast when the rest weeks are given, as long as they get rested?

stephen_n wrote: »
    Is it set in stone that the internationals can't play or is it a moveable feast when the rest weeks are given, as long as they get rested?

I think it's usually a moveable feast but the week after the Six Nations is usually one of the few weekends that are locked in. However with no European action for Leinster, Munster and Ulster the rules may be subject to bending this year. It's conceivable that some provinces only have four games left this season. That being the case what are the players being held back for?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

b.gud wrote: »
    Typical Leinster fan trying to take Connacht players :D

Ha I meant Madigan, or did I.......;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Is this like for the title of "best team in the world ever"?

You know the "we won, we won, nah Na nah Na nah"

Like "we'll see who finishes top to prove the point that the others are a bunch of smelly heads".

Reckon Leinster should have the edge here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

stephen_n wrote: »

It used to be IRFU imposed rest weeks. First couple of games of the year, before and after international windows. But I heard this year it was now on a player by player basis. They can play X amount of games in a year and the club can choose which they miss.

That is bad news for Connacht, because Leinster are out of Europe and many of their best players haven't played vast amounts of league games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭connachta

It's fairly good news if Henshaw can play this though. Ulster away may be sacrificed if needed, not that sure though as Robbie missed 5 or 6 league games because of injury.

Marmion/McGinty/Aki/Henshaw/Healy/Poolman/TOH shouldn't fear any Leinster backline.
    Rested Buckley and Muldowney should have huge influx in the pack too, whoever they face.

Can't wait for this one, already inside the Sportsground in my head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

We're only talking about five Leinster players anyway. Any of those five who get to play this week will definitely not be playing against Munster the following week so it's six of one, 'alf dozen of t'other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭b.gud

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Ha I meant Madigan, or did I.......;)

Figured it was a typo

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

I'd like to think we'll see the two Messiahs playing for Leinster even with Reddan and Fitzgerald available. It may end up though that we'll see the more experienced guys playing even though they're not the one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is Fitzgerald really back the minute the 6N is over?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Is Fitzgerald really back the minute the 6N is over?

Trained today. Six Nations came a week too early.

Hard to see him featuring this weekend but maybe against Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I'm glad it'll be a pretty strong Leinster team to come up against Connacht. The stronger the better.

Leinster at home has always been a game that Connacht are capable of winning and with the season they're having I'll back the lads to shade it again this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Let's not kid ourselves here. Connacht have done well to top the league and stay there.

There are reasons behind that too. Like the others losing key players for an extended duration of the RWC. The injuries to key players during the world cup and again a loss of key players during the six nation's. Granted Connacht did take a sizeable hit on that front this six nation's.

Leinster will take this though. Home game and if we get half of our firsts back we'll be comfortable against Connacht.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Let's not kid ourselves here. Connacht have done well to top the league and stay there.

There are reasons behind that too. Like the others losing key players for an extended duration of the RWC. The injuries to key players during the world cup and again a loss of key players during the six nation's. Granted Connacht did take a sizeable hit on that front this six nation's.

Leinster will take this though. Home game and if we get half of our firsts back we'll be comfortable against Connacht.

Hang on a sec, I think saying a Connacht victory prediction is "kidding yourself" is a little arrogant.

To be clear it's a home game for Connacht, in Galway. It wouldn't be the first time Connacht beat Leinster in Galway in the past few years and this year their performances are clearly better than ever.

Apologies, error on my part. Home game for Connacht :)

It's incredibly arrogant of me. In the past we've underestimated them. I genuinely cannot see Leinster come away with a loss.

It's not unknown for me to have egg on my face though :)

Apologies, error on my part. Home game for Connacht :)

It's incredibly arrogant of me. In the past we've underestimated them. I genuinely cannot see Leinster come away with a loss.

It's not unknown for me to have egg on my face though :)

The result of this exact fixture last year was Connacht 10 - 9 Leinster.

Bazzo wrote: »
    The result of this exact fixture last year was Connacht 10 - 9 Leinster.

OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,007 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Trained today. Six Nations came a week too early.

Hard to see him featuring this weekend but maybe against Munster.

Even if he'd been fit last week be wouldn't have featured for Ireland having not been involved at all up to that point. Hope he plays this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The fact that you didn't know who was at home is probably a fair indicator of how much attention should be given to that post.

• Advertisement

Oooh looks like we might have a bit of edge and spite to this game, it's been a while since we had some of that for the interpros :D

Advertisement