Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWW : Connacht vs Leinster

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭CMOTDibbler

I actually thought Marmion played very well overall. He brings a level of pace and speed of pass to the position that we haven't seen at international level for Ireland since Peter Stringer. There are still some deficiencies in his game but I think it's now time for Schmidt to back him as his number two scrum half and work with him to mould his game into what he wants rather than reverting back to Reddan time and again.
    Marmion was much improved from where he was before the 6N. He's shown similar levels of improvement in the past, lets hope this time it sticks. He really needs to stake his position as number 2. Reddan btw, was very good when he came on. He still has a role to play as a sub if needed. He can put in a very good 20-30 minute shift.
    McGrath was awful - a long way from international standard. Given that he's only a year younger than Marmion he has a lot of ground to make up. Seems very mouthy towards officials also any time I've seen him play.
    Really? Bar tryimg to box kick into the wind, I thought he put on a very assured display. Extremely quick to the breakdown and snappy with his delivery. He certainly was not 'awful'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Billysays no

Iompair wrote: »

A rematch in good weather and Connacht can make it 2 weeks from 3 easy Leinster were pretty poor in conditions ideally suited to their brand of rugby.

True and its what annoys me most about Irish/Leinster rugby. Weather was shocking and should have suited the crash bang of Leinster. It proves there is more to rugby than hard yards. Lams quote "The boys know I cannot stand running straight into people." says it all

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Marmion was much improved from where he was before the 6N. He's shown similar levels of improvement in the past, lets hope this time it sticks. He really needs to stake his position as number 2. Reddan btw, was very good when he came on. He still has a role to play as a sub if needed. He can put in a very good 20-30 minute shift.

I suppose the thinking with still relying on Reddan so much in the Ireland set up could be that we never really sub Murray off unless he gets hurt or the game is well won. If it's a weekend where Marmion could be getting 80 minutes under his belt with Connacht maybe he's better off there than getting 10 minutes for Ireland.

Obviously at some point we'll have to make the transition from Reddan to someone else though. There's no word on his plans for next season?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

CatFromHue wrote: »
    its_phil wrote: »
    Really don't see the difference between Aki and the two of them. Stander was a project player and more than likely had intentions of becoming an international for Ireland even before he set foot in Ireland.

Don't see why Aki is so unsuited for Ireland just because of his honesty.

There's honesty
    yeah it looks ok, i'm not too keen on it though

and there's honesty
    it makes you look fat

The drop the term project player on every signing because that's the whole point. They're signed with an intention of playing for Ireland.

Nucifora may as well tell them every project players don't speak about playing for Ireland until the week of your first cap and then belt out the words to Amhran na bhFiann.

I think Aki will be just as committed to Ireland as Stander, Payne or Strauss. Four very passionate guys

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

He hasn't broken any rules, prob isn't saying anything that other project players are thinking and I've no doubt if he gets the chance he'll be 100% committed. It's just the way he talked about approaching it.

He said he prob wasn't going to be an AB, if he's up to it he'd like an Ireland cap, and if all else fails he always has Samoa. That's not what International rugby is about.

At least with the other guys they won't be playing International rugby for another team as soon as they decide they won't make the SA or Ireland teams.

• Advertisement

heres another passionate guy
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1130770/

heres another passionate guy
    http://www.sportsfile.com/id/1130770/

He'll never play for Ireland with his socks around his ankles like that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Zebo lol

Stheno wrote: »
    Zebo lol

Look at the resistance to Zebo though. All these years on the fringes, eventually only getting to play in an unnatural position because Rob K and his knee socks were injured. There's no way Joe lets 2 of them in the side.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Look at the resistance to Zebo though. All these years on the fringes, eventually only getting to play in an unnatural position because Rob K and his knee socks were injured. There's no way Joe lets 2 of them in the side.

Is it not zebos diving like a soccer player when he scores that annoys Joe? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭phog

Remember all the fuss about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fionn Carr was also held back by ankle socks IMO.

lets see. will he have a choice. as connacht continue their upward spiral maybe joe will accept a player with socks about the ankles from connacht? Could this be possible? Shock, horror

lets see. will he have a choice. as connacht continue their upward spiral maybe joe will accept a player with socks about the ankles from connacht? Could this be possible? Shock, horror

Can you have an upward spiral?

Can you have an upward spiral?
    fair point. We are at the top :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I thought the game showed why TOH and Matt Healy aren't really in the running for an Irish jersey. They were very average.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Yeah_Right wrote:
    I thought the game showed why TOH and Matt Healy aren't really in the running for an Irish jersey. They were very average.

Ah now. Matt had his worst game for connacht in a while but Toh was brilliant imo. Brilliant in the air. Countered well and put in a busy shift covering across the field. Maybe I'm missing something but fwiw he was one of our best players yesterday

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I thought TOH had a good game but didn't do anything to push him ahead of any of the other full back candidates for Ireland.

I thought TOH had a good game but didn't do anything to push him ahead of any of the other full back candidates for Ireland.

Outside of Zebo and Rob K I think TOH and Olding are probably the only FB's looking at breaking into the Ireland squad? Schmidt seems to look at Payne and Henshaw as purely centres and that doesn't leave a lot of options. Even with Olding it very much depends on where Ulster play him. He's probably destined for the 23 shirt.

Aside from toh being excellent all game long, closely watch the last two minutes of the game. Then you see the difference over zebo and Kearney.

• Advertisement

Aside from toh being excellent all game long, closely watch the last two minutes of the game. Then you see the difference over zebo and Kearney.

Wasn't he subbed off on 70 minutes?

Edit: My mistake, it was a HIA he went off for.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't have his most standout performance thought TOH was fine- found touch with a beaut in the first half.

I rewatched the match today (twice, but the first was in the morning in bed when I was still drunk so doesn't really count) and Healy actually played alright, did a hand off to McFadden which was rather enjoyable - but he knocked on the ball 3 times in contact and that is inexcusable. Atleast his defence was better than it was against Edinburgh but it is the second match in a row he didn't have the greatest day..

Brown had a great impact when he came on, stealing a lineout and then hitting a ruck sending 2 leinster lads and a connacht team mate flying (he did then mess up a lineout of his own mind)

VdF had a great game I thought for Leinster, a constant nuisance.

Bundee is the bad boy Connacht needed- with himself and Quinn Roux in the pack we finally got abit of bite and some enforcers that won't let teams bully us..

Nacewa very lucky he didn't go to the bin for either high tackle on Niyi or for his deliberate slap down of a pass (his tackle on AJ was grand imo)

A big moment was with around 10mins to Leinster win a penalty and Kirchner tries to be smart and use the wind and kicks it across the pitch to find touch and it doesn't. It's then another while before Leinster get back up and start building the phases and are on the Connacht tryline.. Had it been 10minutes of that pressure who knows what would have happened..

Also, why the feck didn't Madigan go for a drop goal at the end..?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

He went off for a HIA around the 65 min mark but came back on and finished the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

went of for 5 minutes at 65th min, came back on at 70th

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

That's it. He did nothing to make me sit up and say "holy ****! This guy should be playing test rugby" He was a solid Pro 12 fullback.

wp_rathead wrote: »

Nacewa very lucky he didn't go to the bin for either high tackle on Niyi or for his deliberate slap down of a pass (his tackle on AJ was grand imo)

A big moment was with around 10mins to Leinster win a penalty and Kirchner tries to be smart and use the wind and kicks it across the pitch to find touch and it doesn't. It's then another while before Leinster get back up and start building the phases and are on the Connacht tryline.. Had it been 10minutes of that pressure who knows what would have happened..

Also, why the feck didn't Madigan go for a drop goal at the end..?

I can't remember the slap down but I thought a penalty for the high tackle was a fair call. It wasn't a clothesline and he pulled out of it straight away without causing any damage/problem to Niyi too.

As for Madigan I forgot he was playing for large parts of the game and he certainly had no interest in tackling Aki. Tbh the question of "why the feck didn't Madigan" applies to alot of things, he's been poor to average for nearly 3 seasons now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭neelia11

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Nacewa very lucky he didn't go to the bin for either high tackle on Niyi or for his deliberate slap down of a pass

The tackle on Niyi was high but nothing more then a penalty. I remember him knocking on but didnt think it was deliberate. If that was a YC in your opinion then Marmion should have gone too then when he slapped a ball down at a Leinster scrum ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

What the hell is Aki doing at the final whistle? I'm surprised McFadden didn't blow a gasket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Hagz wrote: »
    What the hell is Aki doing at the final whistle? I'm surprisd McFadden didn't blow a gasket.

I'd say it was to do with McFadden's attempt at tackling or getting the ball off of Marmion, probably felt it was a bit late, unnecessary or whatever seeing as the ball was out of play or he was probably telling him to get to f@ck that I'll be taking your place on the Irish team next year

Advertisement