Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Incident. Need advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

MadDog76 wrote: »
    It's probably not the lane I would have used but judging from the opinions on this thread as well as a lack of definitive answers from the RSA site, Rules of the Road etc., it seems there is no definitive "correct" lane.

I can see the point of view that the Op is effectively taking a right-turn so should be in the inside lane ........... but I can also see the logic in the Op, because he/she was taking the 2nd exit off the roundabout, being on the outside lane .......... that's why I think the Insurance Company will look at the point of impact itself and conclude that the other driver left her lane and smashed into the Op's car so is at fault and therefore liable.

So is it your opinion that the other driver cannot take that exit in the right lane?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

So is it your opinion that the other driver cannot take that exit in the right lane?

Of course they can ......... if it's clear and safe to do so .......... in this case, it wasn't.

I, personally, would have (safely!) changed lanes, to the outside lane, before reaching the exit ...........

Of course they can ......... if it's clear and safe to do so .......... in this case, it wasn't.

I, personally, would have (safely!) changed lanes, to the outside lane, before reaching the exit ...........

Well if they can, the OP cannot stay in the outside lane, the whole way around the roundabout.
    As said before the other driver should have been more observant and the insurance company will take this into account as well.

Well if they can, the OP cannot stay in the outside lane, the whole way around the roundabout.
    As said before the other driver should have been more observant and the insurance company will take this into account as well.

What? :confused:

You can change lanes on the M50, that doesn't mean other cars can't use the lane you wish to enter ......... surely you're not being serious with that logic?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Roundabout are problematic in my opinion because there are different rules and signage in different parts of Ireland .

For instance , there are some roundabouts on the outskirts of Waterford cIty and the signage says outside/ Right-hand lane for 2nd exit and this is causing major problems for drivers .

The most important thing as stated above is '' If its clear and safe to do so '' in all aspects of driving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭deandean

There is shared responsibility between both drivers in that crash.

It might be 40:60.

It might be 50:50.

It might be 60:40.

But it's shared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

The rules are simple. You follow them unless there are signs saying otherwise. The problem is not the rules. The problem is that the rules are created by intelligent people who are interested in road safety. They are then interptreted by selfish buffoons who cannot be bothered to take responsibility to learn anymore than is required to pass the test.

What? :confused:

You can change lanes on the M50, that doesn't mean other cars can't use the lane you wish to enter ......... surely you're not being serious with that logic?? :confused::confused:

This is the sign the OP would have passed before entering the roundabout, do you think it is ok to stay in left lane to the last exit.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2712955,-6.2397945,3a,75y,214.88h,86.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-S0UN0u4vVj3wLAH68P7BQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

deandean wrote: »
    There is shared responsibility between both drivers in that crash.

It might be 40:60.

It might be 50:50.

It might be 60:40.

But it's shared.

That's how the insurance will settle it. Doesn't change the fact that the op caused the accident 100% by being in the completely wrong lane . Stupidity should be punished. Not reacting adequately to stupidity should not .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

This is the sign the OP would have passed before entering the roundabout, do you think it is ok to stay in left lane to the last exit.
    https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.2712955,-6.2397945,3a,75y,214.88h,86.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-S0UN0u4vVj3wLAH68P7BQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This settles it for me - the OP is 100% wrong

• Advertisement

I use that roundabout daily ........ as I said, it's not the lane I would use but then I'm familiar with the roundabout ......... I'm also aware that others using the roundabout may not be as familiar with it as I am and so act accordingly.

I've been in the "other car's" position countless times and have had to reduce my speed and/or go around the roundabout a second time in order to exit safely ....... I definitely would never make assumptions and just go for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

FortySeven wrote: »
    That's how the insurance will settle it. Doesn't change the fact that the op caused the accident 100% by being in the completely wrong lane . Stupidity should be punished. Not reacting adequately to stupidity should not .

Not looking when exiting a roundabout and crashing into someone should not be punished???? Let's all just smash into people who make a mistake on the road, it's their fault, feck it!

I use that roundabout daily ........ as I said, it's not the lane I would use but then I'm familiar with the roundabout ......... I'm also aware that others using the roundabout may not be as familiar with it as I am and so act accordingly.

I've been in the "other car's" position countless times and have had to reduce my speed and/or go around the roundabout a second time in order to exit safely ....... I definitely would never make assumptions and just go for it!

Fair enough, we are just going round in circles, to me the OP is completely in the wrong lane and must take the most blame.

Why make excuses for those not familiar? There is a gigantic chuffing sign right there that makes it clear. It was designed specifically to be noticeable at distance and deciphered in an instant. A lot of thought and design went into those signs and as road users we all have a legal responsibility to follow them. The signs are there so you don't need to be familiar. Life would be very dangerous if we all went around causing collisions every time we went anywhere outside our comfort zone.
    The problem here is that we have a person driving a car who has not even managed to pass a test yet and decided to go have a try without supervision and reaped the inevitable consequences.
    I feel like having a crack at dentistry. Will you sit still while I practice a root canal?

theteal wrote: »
    Not looking when exiting a roundabout and crashing into someone should not be punished???? Let's all just smash into people who make a mistake on the road, it's their fault, feck it!

People taking personal responsibility for their own stupid actions? Yes. I would advocate that 100%. You don't know how many times I wished my instinct and reactions hadn't stopped me doing exactly what you suggest. Maybe when I get older I will vercome that and finally clip one of the idiots who try to kill me on a daily basis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Left lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right lane for any after it.

Op was doing everything by the book.

It seems the other driver was too but should have never went past the op to exit.

You can't overtake someone on a roundabout and then exit.

Only if the 2nd exit is at 12 o'clock, anything after that and its the right lane.

Fair enough, we are just going round in circles, to me the OP is completely in the wrong lane and must take the most blame.

That'll be the decision of the Insurance Companies involved which is why nobody should ever admit liability on the side of the road even if they feel/suspect they are at fault ........ you're not obligated, as some people believe, to verbally accept responsibility so don't, that's what the Insurance Companies are there for ....... hopefully the Op will let us know the outcome in due course.

No doubt some posters on this thread may be surprised/disappointed with the decision.

Why make excuses for those not familiar? There is a gigantic chuffing sign right there that makes it clear. It was designed specifically to be noticeable at distance and deciphered in an instant. A lot of thought and design went into those signs and as road users we all have a legal responsibility to follow them. The signs are there so you don't need to be familiar. Life would be very dangerous if we all went around causing collisions every time we went anywhere outside our comfort zone.
    The problem here is that we have a person driving a car who has not even managed to pass a test yet and decided to go have a try without supervision and reaped the inevitable consequences.
    I feel like having a crack at dentistry. Will you sit still while I practice a root canal?

Why make excuses for the other driver?

"The Op was in the wrong lane so the other driver can smash into her without needing to accept any blame, responsibility or fault."

And if the other driver has "passed a test" then her actions are even more inexcusable.

That'll be the decision of the Insurance Companies involved which is why nobody should ever admit liability on the side of the road even if they feel/suspect they are at fault ........ you're not obligated, as some people believe, to verbally accept responsibility so don't, that's what the Insurance Companies are there for ....... hopefully the Op will let us know the outcome in due course.

No doubt some posters on this thread may be surprised/disappointed with the decision.
    The insurance will declare a 50/50 to save contest.
    I would have admitted liability and hung my head in shame at my own stupidity . Perhaps it is a quaint notion these days but for some of us honesty is more important than saving a few quid.

Why make excuses for the other driver?

"The Op was in the wrong lane so the other driver can smash into her without needing to accept any blame, responsibility or fault."

And if the other driver has "passed a test" then her actions are even more inexcusable.

You really have no idea how to drive do you? Op was in the blind spot and should not have been there . This was not an accident . It was an avoidable collision and the op caused it by being in the wrong place at the wrong time due to not paying due care and attention. They were also driving illegally but keep flogging that clearly dead horse. You never know, you might get a rise out of it yet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Only if the 2nd exit is at 12 o'clock, anything after that and its the right lane.

What if you can't see up to 12 o clock on the roundabout?

Do you take guess to which lane you should be in?

The insurance will declare a 50/50 to save contest.
    I would have admitted liability and hung my head in shame at my own stupidity . Perhaps it is a quaint notion these days but for some of us honesty is more important than saving a few quid.

Are you saying the Op should have admitted liability for being in the "wrong" lane?
    Or are you saying the other driver should have admitted liability because she left her lane and smashed into the Op's car displaying a lack of observation and/or caution?

Your post isn't clear ......... ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

No, you look at the signage before it. :eek:

Turtle_ wrote: »
    No, you look at the signage before it. :eek:

Is there signage on every roundabout in Ireland?

You really have no idea how to drive do you? Op was in the blind spot and should not have been there . This was not an accident . It was an avoidable collision and the op caused it by being in the wrong place at the wrong time due to not paying due care and attention. They were also driving illegally but keep flogging that clearly dead horse. You never know, you might get a rise out of it yet.

Going by the Op, the other driver attempted to over-take a car, which was indicating right, and then exit a roundabout ......... what blind-spot are you referring to exactly?

Leaving your lane and going into the side of a vehicle travelling in the lane you are entering is definitely a case of "not paying due care and attention."

So are we saying if the op's exit was at 12 o clock they wouldn't be in the wrong as opposed to it been at let's say 1 o clock?

That makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

OP was in the left lane, and making a maneuver they were not entitled to make from his position.
    Other driver was in the right lane, and exiting as she was entitled to.

Those are the facts, the second driver cutting in front of OP was his opinion of what happened.
    The other driver, I imagine would say that she was exiting and the OP hit the side of her car.

There's also a pretty clear view of the previous entrance to the roundabout, so having no idea where she came from translates to not really paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭degsie

Roundabouts are NOT complicated
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rsdaSTOkWk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

This makes it pretty clear that the 2nd exit is past 12 o'clock.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.2712955,-6.2397945,3a,75y,254.42h,74.91t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-S0UN0u4vVj3wLAH68P7BQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement

OP was in the left lane, and making a maneuver they were not entitled to make from his position.
    Other driver was in the right lane, and exiting as she was entitled to.

Those are the facts, the second driver cutting in front of OP was his opinion of what happened.
    The other driver, I imagine would say that she was exiting and the OP hit the side of her car.

There's also a pretty clear view of the previous entrance to the roundabout, so having no idea where she came from translates to not really paying attention.

Does that sign not just indicate which exit for what area?

It doesn't actually show or tell you two lane's and which one you should be in.

Advertisement