Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Incident. Need advice

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

TheChizler wrote:
    That's a good point, what would most posters do in the event of a 6 exit roundabout with no markings? Where there are 3 exits up to and including 12 o'clock? Left or right lane for going straight on?

Unless otherwise signed or marked 1st exit is left and second straight on everything after is right turn .. that gets awkward when first exit is a dual carriageway and theres f-all markings is that just exit 1 or exits 1 and 2

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ChickCave

Nody wrote: »
    Well for starters your insurance for the accident for any claims on your car is null and void basically; you broke the law and policy so you will get zero from your own insurance for that accident

I don't think this is true. I heard an expert discuss this topic on the radio not too long ago and they said that although a learner should be accompanied that most people who have accidents are doing things they shouldn't do - that's why they have to claim in the first place. Unless it's specifically stated in you policy that they won't pay out if you are unaccompanied then it's no different than breaking any other rule. That's my understanding amyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

RustyNut wrote: »
    Your talking about the walkinstown roundabout here. Combat sport at its best, survival of the bravest.
    TheChizler wrote: »
    Wow, a six exit three lane concrentric ring roundabout with three lanes on each entrance and zero arrows. Is this sponsored by body repair shops?

The Walkinstown roundabout was the first roundabout I tackled when I started driving, been behind the wheel 3/4 days and headed up to see what all the fuss was about ......... it was definitely a sink or swim experience!!

There are really only two types of drivers ........ those who have used, and survived, the Walkinstown roundabout ......... and those who haven't. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Roundabouts? Who needs em?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

cruizer101 wrote: »
    I hate this system, on a big roundabout how do I know what f**kin o'clock an exit is at. To me the left lane first or second exit makes far more sense.

In this case there was definitely lack of awareness on both drivers parts wither should have been able to avoid crash

They're called signs. They are great big green things at the side of the road. You're supposed to look at them and then you know where the exits are.
    I cannot believe that you are being serious?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wow, a six exit three lane concrentric ring roundabout with three lanes on each entrance and zero arrows. Is this sponsored by body repair shops?

Try the one at the malahide road/ n1 that leads to pavilions. Five exits goes from three lanes to two repeatedly and coming from the north three exits before twelve o'clock

Allegedly it has more accidents than any other

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Just got this on FB. Might help some.

Still applies if the first exit doesn't exist....

380858.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Great if there are 2 lanes on all exits , but I know of 3 roundabouts near Waterford City where you are directed to be in the right-hand lane for 2nd exit , but in each case the 2nd exit only has one lane .

Causes near crashes every day , because drivers are in both lanes for taking 2nd exit .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,738 ✭✭✭degsie

Great if there are 2 lanes on all exits , but I know of 3 roundabouts near Waterford City where you are directed to be in the right-hand lane for 2nd exit , but in each case the 2nd exit only has one lane .

Causes near crashes every day , because drivers are in both lanes for taking 2nd exit .

You aren't getting it. It all depends on where the 2nd exit is in terms of a clock face. More than 12 o'clock = right lane. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭TheChizler

degsie wrote: »
    You aren't getting it. It all depends on where the 2nd exit is in terms of a clock face. More than 12 o'clock = right lane. Simples.
    Spanner in the works: what if there's no exit before 12?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Would it kill councils here to put in LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT signs???

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Would it kill councils here to put in LEFT LANE MUST TURN LEFT signs???

Would it kill drivers to learn the rules of the road and actually learn how to use Roundabouts correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,679 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As in the scenario described by the OP you mean?

No spanner at all.. same rule applies - any exit after 12 o'clock = right lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭TheChizler

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    As in the scenario described by the OP you mean?

No spanner at all.. same rule applies - any exit after 12 o'clock = right lane.
    Not quite. I know a couple of roundabouts with two lanes on the entrance and a number of exits but none before 12 o'clock. If the right-hand lane for beyond 12 was an absolute rule then the left lane would go unused in this situation.

I also know a couple where there's two lanes on the entrance, a single lane exit at 9 o'clock, and a two lane exit at 3 o'clock. Clearly the intent here is to use both the left and right lane to exit at 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

MadDog76 wrote: »
    The Walkinstown roundabout was the first roundabout I tackled when I started driving, been behind the wheel 3/4 days and headed up to see what all the fuss was about ......... it was definitely a sink or swim experience!!

There are really only two types of drivers ........ those who have used, and survived, the Walkinstown roundabout ......... and those who haven't. :cool:

Wow, this thread is still going! I just laughed to myself when I saw this post because I've noted that myself and yourself have a similar opinion on this incident. You'll never guess where I'm from and learned to drive :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

It wouldn't be a two lane roundabout or there would only be one exit off it of which your would still be expected to take the right lane.

Roundabouts like that are usually built with the expectation of more exits to be built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

theteal wrote: »
    Wow, this thread is still going! I just laughed to myself when I saw this post because I've noted that myself and yourself have a similar opinion on this incident. You'll never guess where I'm from and learned to drive :D

You live in Essex ......... but you're from Walkinstown and learnt to drive there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

This thread should be made compulsory reading for everyone taking Exit 5 off the M3 every evening (presume mostly Ratoath/Dunshaughlin heads)....

If you're taking the third exit you should enter the roundabout in the RIGHT lane. Yes that means than when you pass the second exit you'll have to change lanes but if you can't manage that then its time to leave the car in the train station and take the choo choo in

Coat22 wrote: »
    This thread should be made compulsory reading for everyone taking Exit 5 off the M3 every evening (presume mostly Ratoath/Dunshaughlin heads)....

If you're taking the third exit you should enter the roundabout in the RIGHT lane. Yes that means than when you pass the second exit you'll have to change lanes but if you can't manage that then its time to leave the car in the train station and take the choo choo in

On my way home from work every evening, I have to turn right - take the 3rd exit - on a roundabout. One thing that scares the bejazus out of me is when I correctly enter the roundabout from the right hand lane and a car enters from the left hand lane and wanders over into MY lane, even though we are both in correct lanes and they are going straight ahead. WTF do they do this???

Advertisement