Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Incident. Need advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

At the end of the day, the blue line driver left her lane and collided with the Op's car ....... that's how it'll be viewed by the Insurance Companies.

On a side note, the Insurance Companies aren't that concerned about L-Drivers driving unaccompanied ........ whether they should be or not is another matter but the fact is they (generally) aren't as that's a matter for the Gardai.

Op, stand your ground and don't allow yourself be bullied by the other driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

bubblypop wrote: »
    Seriously, what do you people suggest the car in the right hand lane do? Stop dead in the middle of the roundabout because some eejit to their left can't drive properly?
    They would assume, and rightly so, that anyone in the left hand lane is going straight on.
    That's where they should be going!
    The car in the other lane is completely right.
    How can ye not understand that?
    Not that I disagree with the spirit of your post, but you can assume nothing with other drivers. The driver in the offside lane could have done a lap of the roundabout. No need to stop dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Welruc

Turtle_ wrote: »
    No. Just wrong. It's NOTHING to do with the number of the exit, and everything to do with the relative position of your intended exit to where you entered the roundabout.

The level of ignorance about how to use a flipping roundabout (a prolific feature of Irish roads) is astounding. If you are effectively turning right, keep right. If you're turning left, keep left. If you are going straight ahead and there's only one lane in the exit, keep left. For two lane exits, either lane is acceptable because the left lane should NEVER continue beyond straight ahead.

Nope sorry but you are wrong. In the left lane you are permitted to pass the first exit with the intention of getting off at the next exit.

It may be a stupid but its part of the rules of the road, and as you said the level of ignorange to the correct rules is astounding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

deuceswild wrote: »
    Nope sorry but you are wrong. In the left lane you are permitted to pass the first exit with the intention of getting off at the next exit.

It may be a stupid but its part of the rules of the road, and as you said the level of ignorange to the correct rules is astounding.

Link please, to where it explicitly states that it is permissible to go to the last exit in the outside lane in a multi-lane roundabout.

Do you ACTUALLY think the OP was right? If so I sincerely hope I never encounter you on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,334 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The published guidelines from the Road Safety Authority doesn't use 1st exit or 2nd exit, but clock face \ turning left \ going straight ahead. I haven't seen anything in the rules of the road allowing a car in left lane to use second exit ... so I'm curious about why you think left lane car can use second exit?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

No. Just wrong. It's NOTHING to do with the number of the exit, and everything to do with the relative position of your intended exit to where you entered the roundabout.

The level of ignorance about how to use a flipping roundabout (a prolific feature of Irish roads) is astounding. If you are effectively turning right, keep right. If you're turning left, keep left. If you are going straight ahead and there's only one lane in the exit, keep left. For two lane exits, either lane is acceptable because the left lane should NEVER continue beyond straight ahead.

Agreed. A colleague of mine was the victim of road rage. The other driver lost it with her for cutting him off. The guards viewed the cctv and my colleague entered the roundabout in the left lane at 6 o'clock, to exit at just before 12 o'clock (single lane), other driver came from right lane, so they almost clashed.guardai said the other driver was at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Ruby31 wrote: »
    Agreed. A colleague of mine was the victim of road rage. The other driver lost it with her for cutting him off. The guards viewed the cctv and my colleague entered the roundabout in the left lane at 6 o'clock, to exit at just before 12 o'clock (single lane), other driver came from right lane, so that almost clashed.guardai sais the offer driver was at fault.

Specifically, if people know the roundabout, colleague was entering the roundabout in the left lane from Church road (Ballybrack/Killiney) and exiting at the Sallyglen road which is a single lane positioned slightly before 12 o'clock.

Link please, to where it explicitly states that it is permissible to go to the last exit in the outside lane in a multi-lane roundabout.

Do you ACTUALLY think the OP was right? If so I sincerely hope I never encounter you on the roads.

I didnt say the last exit i said you can use the left lane and you dont have to take the first exit, have a look at the video on this page.

http://rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Education/Road-safety-tips/Using-roundabouts/

I didnt say the last exit i said you can use the left lane and you dont have to take the first exit, have a look at the video on this page.

http://rsa.ie/RSA/Road-Safety/Education/Road-safety-tips/Using-roundabouts/

And I said it's nothing to do with numbering of exits, it's to do with position of them.

Do you think you can use the outside lane to get to the exit at the 3 O'Clock position (entering from 6 o'clock, effectively turning right at the roundabout)?

And I said it's nothing to do with numbering of exits, it's to do with position of them.

Do you think you can use the outside lane to get to the exit at the 3 O'Clock position (entering from 6 o'clock, effectively turning right at the roundabout)?

Yes, sometimes..... For instance it may be the only exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Senna wrote: »
    Very hard to say, as I don't understand your diagram fully, but if your changed lanes and didn't see the other driver in the left Lane (you were coming from the right lane) then you would be at fault as you maneuvered when it was not safe to do so. But I'm not sure if that is what happened.

Not hard at all, Other car changed lane into where OP was, Other cars fault. (This may already have been pointed out and the thread may have gone off on the usual tangent on ROTR etc. I'm just to lazy to read any further.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Yes, sometimes..... For instance it may be the only exit.

I've got some straws here you can clutch at......

FortySeven wrote: »
    I've got some straws here you can clutch at......

Im not clutching at straws. My argument is as per the rules of the road you may be in the left lane and pass an exit which is what the op was doing when the other car hit so i would put the other car at fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Lots of talk about who is at fault. Think of it this way: if the OP had approached the roundabout it the right hand lane, entered the roundabout in the right hand lane and continued on to their exit, we wouldn't have this thread, because there wouldn't have been an accident.

Im not clutching at straws. My argument is as per the rules of the road you may be in the left lane and pass an exit which is what the op was doing when the other car hit so i would put the other car at fault.

Correct, which is EXACTLY what I said in my previous post.

However, you may not ALWAYS pass an exit in the outside lane, and in the OP's case, you certainly can't. He turned RIGHT. He should have been in the RIGHT hand lane. It's actually that simple.

Not hard at all, Other car changed lane into where OP was, Other cars fault. (This may already have been pointed out and the thread may have gone off on the usual tangent on ROTR etc. I'm just to lazy to read any further.)

That's it in a nutshell, the other car changed lanes and collided with the Op's car therefore the other car is at fault .......... the rest of the discussion (regarding which lane, exits etc.) is irrelevant to the Op.

Falcon L wrote: »
    Lots of talk about who is at fault. Think of it this way: if the OP had approached the roundabout it the right hand lane, entered the roundabout in the right hand lane and continued on to their exit, we wouldn't have this thread, because there wouldn't have been an accident.

If the other car hadn't changed lanes before it being safe to do so then the accident would not have happened ........ in fact, if every driver did everything correctly all the time on every road then we would never ever have any accidents ....... but that's just fantasy, hence the thread.

Right, look at it like this.
    There's no roundabout, there's a junction instead.
    One road two lanes get to the junction. Straight ahead is two lanes, there is also one right hand turn.
    Would anybody actually be in the left hand lane if they wanted to turn right?
    It's the same thing.
    Both lanes can go straight ahead, but if you want to turn right, you better be in the right hand lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

One road two lanes get to the junction. Straight ahead is two lanes, there is also one right hand turn.
    It's the same thing.
    Both lanes can go straight ahead, but if you want to turn right, you better be in the right hand lane!

That makes no odds at all. You change lane and hit another car your at fault. Use the old Sat Nav, If it tells you to drive straight ahead and there is a wall in front of you, do you drive into it cause the Sat Nav told you to? Or do use common sense and not crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

2 lane roundabout with 2 lanes at the start of the exit, to me the other driver is perfectly entitled to take that exit in the right lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

That makes no odds at all. You change lane and hit another car your at fault. Use the old Sat Nav, If it tells you to drive straight ahead and there is a wall in front of you, do you drive into it cause the Sat Nav told you to? Or do use common sense and not crash.

Did you get your licence during the amnesty old man?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It's the same thing.

But there is a roundabout.

Ah so you can drive around with reckless abandon, showing no regard for best practice or even what's just normal... But it's the other person's fault when they behave normally, as per best practice, and you take a sudden and unexpected deviation from the norm and they don't have time to stop or react?

Yes, the other driver probably/possibly could have been more observant and not relied on the OP to not do something bat **** crazy like going all the way around to the right hand exit in the left hand lane... But the OP is the one who actually caused the situation in the first place by being so incredibly incorrectly behaved on a simple roundabout.

Ah so you can drive around with reckless abandon, showing no regard for best practice or even what's just normal... But it's the other person's fault when they behave normally, as per best practice, and you take a sudden and unexpected deviation from the norm and they don't have time to stop or react?

Yes, the other driver probably/possibly could have been more observant and not relied on the OP to not do something bat **** crazy like going all the way around to the right hand exit in the left hand lane... But the OP is the one who actually caused the situation in the first place by being so incredibly incorrectly behaved on a simple roundabout.

So ......... if a car is in your way, and you feel they shouldn't be there, just smash into them? Strange logic! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

MadDog76 wrote: »
    So ......... if a car is in your way, and you feel they shouldn't be there, just smash into them? Strange logic! :confused:

A bit melodramatic.

Of course not, but how the hell do you know they're in the way until they fail to exit where they should have?

I'm not saying that the other driver couldn't have been more observant, but I am saying that the major part of the fault lies with the OP for being in the indisputably incorrect lane and behaving in a way that can only be described as erratic and unexpected on a roundabout.

Of course not, but how the hell do you know they're in the way until they fail to exit where they should have?

I'm not saying that the other driver couldn't have been more observant, but I am saying that the major part of the fault lies with the OP for being in the indisputably incorrect lane and behaving in a way that can only be described as erratic and unexpected on a roundabout.

I don't think people should be driving around making assumptions about what other drivers may, or may not, do ........... expect the unexpected is a more logical approach to take.

I think the Insurance Company will see this one way ......... Car B left her lane and collided with Car A, Car B is at fault.

I don't think people should be driving around making assumptions about what other drivers may, or may not, do ........... expect the unexpected is a more logical approach to take.

I think the Insurance Company will see this one way ......... Car B left her lane and collided with Car A, Car B is at fault.

Do you think the OP was in the correct lane?

RustyNut wrote: »
    But there is a roundabout.

A roundabout replacing a junction.
    To make traffic flow better.
    Reading this thread is so depressing, I think we should obviously go the way of America.
    No roundabouts, just signalled junctions because people cannot drive correctly here.

• Advertisement

Do you think the OP was in the correct lane?

It's probably not the lane I would have used but judging from the opinions on this thread as well as a lack of definitive answers from the RSA site, Rules of the Road etc., it seems there is no definitive "correct" lane.

I can see the point of view that the Op is effectively taking a right-turn so should be in the inside lane ........... but I can also see the logic in the Op, because he/she was taking the 2nd exit off the roundabout, being on the outside lane .......... that's why I think the Insurance Company will look at the point of impact itself and conclude that the other driver left her lane and smashed into the Op's car so is at fault and therefore liable.

Advertisement