Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Incident. Need advice

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 794 ✭✭✭TheHillOfDoom

Ok - I'm thinking more about this. It really depends on where she had entered and where she was planning to exit. Could she have presumed that you were exiting at the collision point and she was moving into the left position ready to EXIT at the top?

Well that sounds good OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Libertewhite

Well that sounds good OP!

She said it was always best to call them first. Even if neither party goes through with it. I guess so they can get ready? Or start defending? I have no idea what they do..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

It would be very easy to make the argument that blue car should be held responsible on the basis that they entered a lane, ie the left hand lane on the roundabout, without it being clear to do so.

The insurance companies will most likely put it down to a 50 50 and fcuk both drivers over for their NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Red was in the wrong, blue was in the right. Funny thing is though, if you weren't driving unaccompanied, i'd bet the insurance companies would rule 50:50. The blue driver also entered an occupied lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

both in the wrong, OP in the wrong lane, blue should have not across OP's path (if you trusted other drivers on roundabouts you would be in an accident every second day).
    70:30 blame on OPs side in my opinion. But since OP didn't see her, was in the wrong lane, didn't have an accompanying driver, OP should cover the costs outside of insurance, it's likely there was even more going on like OP not indicating and holding a lane position which gave the impression of taking the exit, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The scariest part of this thread is how many people don't know which is the inside and which is the outside lane.

OP was in the inside lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The scariest part of this thread is how many people don't know which is the inside and which is the outside lane.

No he wasn't?:confused:

That would be the outer lane of the roundabout.

I asked the customer representative on the phone to tell me which is the inside lane and which is the outside lane. "Closest to the roundabout is the inside. The outer lane is the outside lane."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

it just depends on how you look at it. I would be of the opinion that lane 1 is the inside lane and lane 2 is the outside lane. but when you look at it from a birds eye perspective then yes it also makes sense to call lane 2 the inside lane. Just a matter of your perspective...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

She was using the correct lane and you were not. You will have to pay up but good luck with the insurance after they find our you were driving alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭emeldc

The last 'inside, outside lane' thread had 24 pages in it. You must have missed it :rolleyes:

Jan Laco wrote: »
    She was using the correct lane and you were not. You will have to pay up but good luck with the insurance after they find our you were driving alone.

I think I've seen discussions on this before. That is a garda matter and doesn't negate insurance. AFAIK! Same as a drunk driver, though behaving illegally, would still be insured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Were the Guards called when you crashed?

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Were the Guards called when you crashed?

Nope. It wasn't a bad crash. Just scrapes along the side of our cars. We didn't see the point.

It's amazing how many people on here don't known how to use a roundabout.
    Although, looking at drivers on the roads, I'm really not surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,434 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bubblypop wrote: »
    It's amazing how many people on here don't known how to use a roundabout.
    Although, looking at drivers on the roads, I'm really not surprised.
    Seeing as there is no hard rule on how to use a roundabout, and many roundabouts have accompanying line markings that contradict expectation, the only thing you can say for sure is follow line markings where they exist, watch out for other drivers, and don't crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,735 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know that roundabout extremely well, and the OP is very much in the wrong.

The lady in blue went around the roundabout and then exited at her exit, she was in the correct lane and she does not need to switch lanes while on the roundabout to prepare for the upcoming exit. She simply needs to follow the roundabout around and then exit, she did so. She does need to ensure her path is clear and her failure to do so was a contribution, but the incident would not have occurred if the OP knew how to use a roundabout.

Thousands of cars every week will do exactly what "blue" did without a problem, unless they happen to meet the person wrongly going past an exit in the outside lane.

This is the correct analysis IMO

I know this roundabout as well - use it regularly - and people coming towards it from Sandyford (as the OP was) will move into the right lane if heading for Dundrum (under the M50) and left if joining the M50 N after the roundabout (as the blue car was)

The blue car was in the correct lane coming from Dundrum (top of picture) and did not have to move into the OP's lane in advance as there are two exit/merge lanes for M50 N

I'm afraid the OP is in the wrong here.. wrong lane going right on a roundabout.

Incidentally, lane closest to centre of roundabout = inside, outer lane = outside

However on a 2/3 lane road.. lane closest to left = inside/driving lane , lane closest to centre = outside/overtaking lane

Kinda scary that this sort of stuff can be argued over TBH - but not surprising when you see the behaviour on the roads.

Approach road that the OP was on attached - the sign on the left would indicate to me which lane to be in TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭cml387

Well I would say the sign indicates no such thing other than which exit to take for which direction.

Unless it's actually marked in the lane (and I have no local knowledge ) I can't see how the op is in the wrong.

It's the responsibility of the driver changing lane to make sure that he/she can do so safely.

It may not be ideal to stay in the outside lane going around the roundabout but it's not illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭XLR 8

The photo shows that the OP saw the other car (blue dots) They were already on the roundabout. He should have allowed that vehicle to exit ahead of him. Instead he the OP (in the wrong lane) continued past his exit and either collided with her car or vice versa. A poor show by both drivers and a no win situation for either. I'd not be inclined to settle any private arrangements till someone admits liability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP in the wrong Lane. This does not give the other driver the right to smash into the OPs car though. Seems like 2 inexperienced drivers and I couldn't say which way to lay ultimate fault.

OP, this is exactly why you shouldn't be driving unaccompanied but I'm guessing you're fully aware of that by now. All the best with it either way

theteal wrote: »
    OP in the wrong Lane. This does not give the other driver the right to smash into the OPs car though. Seems like 2 inexperienced drivers and I couldn't say which way to lay ultimate fault.

OP, this is exactly why you shouldn't be driving unaccompanied but I'm guessing you're fully aware of that by now. All the best with it either way

I agree ðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Left lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right lane for any after it.

Op was doing everything by the book.

It seems the other driver was too but should have never went past the op to exit.

You can't overtake someone on a roundabout and then exit.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Left lane for 1st and 2nd exits, right lane for any after it.

Op was doing everything by the book.

It seems the other driver was too but should have never went past the op to exit.

You can't overtake someone on a roundabout.

Going by the photo the other car was on the roundabout before the OP, in which case he should have gave way and let that car exit first.

XLR 8 wrote: »
    Going by the photo the other car was on the roundabout before the OP, in which case he should have gave way and let that car exit first.

But the op said they couldn't see anyone to their right.

So did the car speed up to exit?

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

theres a lot of bad drivers out there

JustTheOne wrote: »
    But the op said they couldn't see anyone to their right.

So did the car speed up to exit?

He said he didn't see it would appear to be the problem, because clearly it was there it hit him. If he didn't see it how can he illustrate it in blue. The only place he knows it's location for definite is at the point of impact..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Op clearly in the wrong lane. This is why drivers must be licenced before driving unaccompanied. I too am not surprised by the arguing over this. The number of people I encounter driving on a daily basis that should not be let operate a toaster astounds me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

Oh god six pages of this to read...we've been here before so many times. OP you were in the incorrect lane.

The other car was entitled to use the right hand lane to go straight on as there were two lanes in and two out.

(if I missed something by not reading pages 3 to 6, I apologise)

• Advertisement

Oh god six pages of this to read...we've been here before so many times. OP you were in the incorrect lane.

The other car was entitled to use the right hand lane to go straight on as there were two lanes in and two out.

(if I missed something by not reading pages 3 to 6, I apologise)

But the rules of the road state left hand lane for exits 1 and 2.

How was the op in the wrong lane?

Advertisement