Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Whisky/Whiskey are we drinking this month?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,344 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Speaking of Scotch, LIDL have three in on special next week, all priced at €25 and 40% strength. No age statements:
    * Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Ben Bracken Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Abrachan Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Catalogue page here: https://www.lidl-flyer.com/485427aa-89b5-11e8-b5c6-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/flyer/page/2

Has anyone tried this in the past \ picked up in UK? Worth a punt? Was thinking of trying the Highland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I bought an Abrachan from them before but I'm sure it was a 10 stated age. Was fine, mate bought it repeatedly as he liked it a lot. However as its a psuedo name there's no guarantee its even vaguely the same product.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Is that the one that had the two terriers as a logo?

No that's Black & Whyte... understandabl this causes confusion! :confused:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_%26_White_(whisky)

Thanks. My uncle's pub had a 'statue' of the two terriers. The eyes lit up - freaky looking thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What's the verdict? How does it compare to other blends eg famous grouse, JW red, etc? Peaty?

It doesn't have the dry effect that a lot of Scotch have. It was Triple Mature.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Is that the one that had the two terriers as a logo?

Two lions. Pride Passion

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Kevk20

Have just bought a bottle of Bushmills 16 yr old in O’Brien’s. Seems to be back in stock after a few years’ “hiatus”. Tasting note to follow later.

Kevk20 wrote: »
    Have just bought a bottle of Bushmills 16 yr old in O’Brien’s. Seems to be back in stock after a few years’ “hiatus”. Tasting note to follow later.

Single malt, obviously.

Am a big fan of the 10 year old, would love to hear how it compares in price and quality to that...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The Bushmills single malts are really good I think and I good value too. Very underrated

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've run out of blend so I'm using Highland Park Einar in whiskey and soda. Airport NAS has its uses.

• Advertisement

Bushmills 16 yr old tasting note: got the nose very quickly from pouring. Whiff of smoke. On the pour: rustic brown/red. On the taste: Toffee all around. Werthers original. Sweet dates, hint of praline and toasted nut. Beautiful malty nuttiness. Very smooth, like the 10 yr old, but a definite step up in depth of material. At 40% it’s quite light-ish but don’t be fooled, this is simply superb drinking pleasure.

My “tuppence” for the evening. Oh, and I have a day off tomorrow so may enjoy more of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

10 yr old is the best of bush imo, I find the 16 yr old a bit too fiery on the palate, still a damn good whiskey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

What did you pay for the 16? I don't see it listed on their site. Celtic Whiskey have it for 95.

Bushmills is great. And the standard Bushmills permanently on special for 21e in Tesco.. smashing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Had the option to pick up 6 bottles of Ardmore Legacy Highland for €20/ea. Bought as an everyday whisky. I'm the guy who has a penchant of adding Laphroaig 10 to Bushmills. This feels like the job done for me. A smooth, smokey, honey, toffee, with a bit of spice, albeit a bit less spice than you'd get with Bushmills. Really a lovely dram I'd be happy to have daily.

Also Jameson Caskmates Stout is seriously yummy. Had to hide the last half of the bottle away from myself.

ALDI Special Reserve 4 years cask matured Irish Whiskey, €19.

I quite like this one, soft and smooth, no burn or harshness to it, and a splash of water brings to life some fresh fruit flavours. I'm guessing ex sherry cask aging?
    On the light and delicate side but at that price you can't expect everything - so it'd be a waste with a mixer as it would overwhelm it.
    Something to sip with dinner rather than brood over :)

I don't remember seeing this in a catalogue, and can't find anything online, so dunno if it's a limited special or part of their regular range.

I'd be curious about the provenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,503 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I had some Dingle Cask Strength last night. 55% I think?
    Very nice, but I did have to add water as I went along to soften it slightly.
    I don't usually add water to whiskies, but at that % it's kinda needed (for me!).

ALDI Special Reserve 4 years cask matured Irish Whiskey, €19.

I quite like this one, soft and smooth, no burn or harshness to it, and a splash of water brings to life some fresh fruit flavours. I'm guessing ex sherry cask aging?
    On the light and delicate side but at that price you can't expect everything - so it'd be a waste with a mixer as it would overwhelm it.
    Something to sip with dinner rather than brood over :)

I don't remember seeing this in a catalogue, and can't find anything online, so dunno if it's a limited special or part of their regular range.

I'd be curious about the provenance.

4 could actually be from a few of the new distilleries and is too new to really be a Cooley.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Taketsuru Pure Malt.

I have a friend in Japan who, each year, would send me a bottle of Taketsuru 17, in return for a few bottles of Irish craft beer (as virtually every beer is Japan is a light lager). It was nice to be able to drink one of the best blended whiskies in the world.

But demand has made it rare as hen's teeth, and the price has doubled too. So now I get Pure Malt, which is a poor substitute really. But hey, it's free whiskey, so I can't complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

Speaking of Scotch, LIDL have three in on special next week, all priced at €25 and 40% strength. No age statements:
    * Ben Bracken Speyside Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Ben Bracken Highland Single Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Abrachan Blended Malt Scotch Whisky
    * Catalogue page here: https://www.lidl-flyer.com/485427aa-89b5-11e8-b5c6-005056ab0fb6/locale/en-IE/view/flyer/page/2

Has anyone tried this in the past \ picked up in UK? Worth a punt? Was thinking of trying the Highland.

Tried the speyside so far. its not bad, but very young. The raw spirit/poitin type smell is instantly present when the bottle is opened and equally strong on the nose when poured and let rest, a clear sign that the component whiskys are all very young. Luckily that raw spirit taste is not as strong as the smell would lead you to believe.

Sweet straw is the main smell i get along with some sweet fruit like figs or dates.
    The fruit is present on tasting, as is a little biscuit maltiness and a little new spirit taste.

Finish isnt very long and the new spirit taste lingers.

About right for 25 quid. Id say a bottle of black bush, which although is very different and not directly comparable, is still a much better bottle for about the same price.

I'll still happily drink it neat when eating fruits or chocolate and it wont last long when making Irish Coffees at xmas.

Have a bottle of highland variant also but not opened yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Tried the speyside so far. its not bad, but very young. The raw spirit/poitin type smell is instantly present when the bottle is opened and equally strong on the nose when poured and let rest, a clear sign that the component whiskys are all very young. Luckily that raw spirit taste is not as strong as the smell would lead you to believe.

Sweet straw is the main smell i get along with some sweet fruit like figs or dates.
    The fruit is present on tasting, as is a little biscuit maltiness and a little new spirit taste.

Finish isnt very long and the new spirit taste lingers.

About right for 25 quid. Id say a bottle of black bush, which although is very different and not directly comparable, is still a much better bottle for about the same price.

I'll still happily drink it neat when eating fruits or chocolate and it wont last long when making Irish Coffees at xmas.

Have a bottle of highland variant also but not opened yet.

That’s a far better description than I could ever have given.

For what it’s worth I’ll add that I think for.€25 it’s well worth a try. I had a decent size dram (it being Monday) of it last night and was pleasantly surprised. Was expecting it to be harsher. Still young as you say but drop of water and it opens up nicely.

You mentioned black bush from a price point comparison point of view. As you say different whiskeys but personally I’d prefer the Aldi bottle.

I’ll most likely pick up a second bottle to be honest. More than an Irish coffee whiskey for me.

Don’t get me wrong it’s not €40 or €80 bottle of whiskey but not bad for the price at all.

• Advertisement

fret_wimp2 wrote: »
    Tried the speyside so far. its not bad, but very young... Have a bottle of highland variant also but not opened yet.

After that expert review, we expectantly await the Highland one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Greg81

Did anyone tried "The Legend of Silkie" Blended Irish Whiskey from Sliabh Liag Distillery in Donegal?

I will be in the distillery area on Saturday and I wonder if it is worth a try.

Big family birthday on at the weekend so there was quite a bit of the stuff drunk.

Writers' Years Red Head Single Malt and Jameson Cooper's Croze very much got a thumbs up.

Dingle Single Malt did not. Didn't like it at all.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Big family birthday on at the weekend so there was quite a bit of the stuff drunk.

Writers' Years Red Head Single Malt and Jameson Cooper's Croze very much got a thumbs up.

Dingle Single Malt did not. Didn't like it at all.

Which Dingle did you have, batch 3 I guess?

Batch 1 actually.

Why do you ask, did Batch 3 get a bad rep?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Got this in the post today.
    IMG_20180731_173510548.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Batch 1 actually.

Why do you ask, did Batch 3 get a bad rep?

Batch 2 is best of them so far I think.
    I assumed batch 3 as it's the widely available one at the moment.

Am working my way through a miniature set of Knappogue Castle from the Celtic Whiskey Shop.

Was disappointed with the 12yo, thought it was a bit too much christmas cake \ butterscotch, artificial aftertaste.

Am really enjoying the sherry-cask finish 16yo, though can't see me paying 90 euros for a bottle considering how nice Writers Tears and Bushmills 10yo are.
    https://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/knappogue-castle-twin-wood-sherry-finish-16-year-old-single-malt?search=knappogue

Still left in the set is the 14yo cask strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Wailin

Folks can you recommend a nice scotch? Drink Irish whiskey mainly and tried scotch but wasn't a fan of the peaty smoky flavour compared to the smoother Irish stuff. Maybe it wasn't a good scotch but would like to give it a shot (dram!) again. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Wailin wrote: »
    Folks can you recommend a nice scotch? Drink Irish whiskey mainly and tried scotch but wasn't a fan of the peaty smoky flavour compared to the smoother Irish stuff. Maybe it wasn't a good scotch but would like to give it a shot (dram!) again. Cheers!

Speyside is pretty much like Irish
    Try Cardhu it’s 45 quid in Most places

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement